PDA

View Full Version : Simple, yet specific, chest rig requests.

Greg Kulbick
08-31-12, 11:12
First let me say if I could find a BCM 03 MSF rig, I would get one. After months on end, I'm getting tired of waiting. I've been through the gear loadout thread backwards and forwards several times. I've searched other member's chest rig threads, and I'm just not able to find anything that has what I want and doesn't have what I don't want, so I'm asking for a little help.

I'm looking for something that will hold 3-6 5.56 mags, uses non-padded shoulder straps and integrates a hydration carrier. Those are my wants. This will mainly be for civilian classes.

I would prefer it ride a little higher to avoid interfering with belt mounted gear, but a lot of that can be adjusted with the straps on a lot of models. It doesn't have to be split front like the 03 MSF, either way doesn't bother me. I've looked at TT, BFG, Esstac, Mayflower, TAG, Eagle, SOTech, Ares and others and just can't seem to find anything to fit the bill. Anything you guys think I should take a look at?

militarymoron
08-31-12, 12:24
integrates a hydration carrier.

not many choices with that feature. you can rig one up, though.

Greg Kulbick
08-31-12, 12:58
I have considered getting an h-strap type rig and figuring out a way to attach a carrier if there's nothing else out there.

JSantoro
08-31-12, 13:06
http://www.esstac.com/Products/Build%20a%20Boar%20Light.php

I'm probably missing something, but I'm uncertain if one can only attach the hydration pouch to the padded harness, or if it's something one can just integrate with the normal Boar harness.

Worth contacting to make sure, one way or another. Also sold by on the SKD Tactical site...

J_Dub_503
08-31-12, 13:07
How about this?
ATS M4 Modular Chest Harness (http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-3197)
ATS MCH Hydration Carrier (http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-13399)

CRAMBONE
08-31-12, 13:11
You might end up having to contact a company like Ares and have them make you something per your requirements. :confused:

Greg Kulbick
08-31-12, 13:25
http://www.esstac.com/Products/Build%20a%20Boar%20Light.php

I'm probably missing something, but I'm uncertain if one can only attach the hydration pouch to the padded harness, or if it's something one can just integrate with the normal Boar harness.

Worth contacting to make sure, one way or another. Also sold by on the SKD Tactical site...

I think their straps cross, not sure how I'd be able to attach a molle platform to that without sewing it to the straps, which is probably more involved than I need to be.

How about this?
ATS M4 Modular Chest Harness (http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-3197)
ATS MCH Hydration Carrier (http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-13399)

This may be the perfect solution if nothing else exists the way I want it from the get go. I had no idea they made a hydration carrier for their rig,I'd never seen it before. Thanks, J_Dub.

J_Dub_503
08-31-12, 13:34
No problem Greg. If you do end up with that set-up, I'd appreciate your input as I've been looking at it for a while.

remington79
08-31-12, 14:02
I'm looking at the UW Gear chest rigs. The straps are unpadded, H style, and hold 3 mags. There is no spot for a Camelbak but I have a low profile one. (Camelbak Ambush) I like the looks of the UW rig because of the H harness and the fact that it has flaps that close with tabs. It's a stiffened piece of nylon that slips under a nylon loop. Form what I have seen it is easy to undo when needed but has good retention. I dislike open topped pouches and I don't like pouches that close with velcro.

yhmspecter
09-01-12, 18:48
Check out the OSOE stacked M4 micro rig, and padded H harness, which will carry a bladder

Failure2Stop
09-02-12, 10:54
I know that what I am about to type is unsolicited advice. Please don't take it as personal criticism, simply my observation having done this for some time:

During classes there is absolutely no need to take water to the line. It's just more weight that you won't use. There is plenty of time to drink water when you are off the line. When you are on the line you should be focused on shooting, not sucking on a tube. Relay turn over should be less than 20 minutes.

Away from class, a hydration carrier is more of a limiter than an enhancement. You will have to move your suck bag from the harness to a pack if you want to carry anything more than just a bag of water.

Considering that there are a bunch of solid offerings in the chest rig department without a suck bag pouch and so few with one, I would advise a closer look at your needs list and a reconsideration of options.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

ra2bach
09-02-12, 13:57
whoops...

ra2bach
09-02-12, 14:02
adding to what F2S said, if it's just needed for training, I'd forgo the H2O on your second line.

but if you insist on taking something with you to the line, 5.11 Tactical makes a medium dump pouch that I attach to my first line belt and perfectly fits a 20-24 oz. bottle for water or gatorade -- http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-medium-drop-pouch.html

or you could always just throw a bottle in a cargo pocket...

LonghunterCO
09-02-12, 15:43
Was in Publeo CO for 3 day Magpul Dyn Carbine 1/2 (2010) I think that one day it dropped to 98. It was hot, and very dry. Under such conditions you would think that you would be even more in need of water on the line, but I found that I was shedding weight in these temps. With my setup, every reload I run comes off of my belt (for the carbine it was two Raven concelment p-mag pouches) so for me the chest rig is only re-supply to the belt-YMMV. I ended up running re-supply from my back pocket and cargo pockets and ended up leaving my chest rig (minimalist set up with only 3 rifle mags and two pistol mags) back at the truck, along with my water. On the line I have so many things running through my head, taking on water was not one of them.

excatm76
09-02-12, 18:39
I believe you can mount a hydration carrier to a TT x-harness attached to a MAV. I saw a pic of that somewhere, but it has been some time now. Never mind the X-harness is padded.

Luckystiff
09-02-12, 19:30
I, as well as some friends have been using the Eagle M4 chest rig for several years. Great simple rig. The only thing I did not like was the staps. I contacted Esstac and we had them make up some of thier padded H harnesses for our Eagle rigs. I believe that they make them without the padding as well. I got one of thier suck bag carriers at the same time. This has been a great set up for me as the water ballances the chest rig. One down side is the heat gets trapped between your back and the water carrier. With body armor on it realy does not make that much of a difference.

Other option is the TAG Gladiator or Marine Gladiator Chest Rig. They do have some padding in the straps but it is a very good rig.

Travis B
09-04-12, 09:02
The closest I've seen to your request would be the SO Tech Falcon. I've been using it for about a year now with great results (civilian use only). 6 integrated mag pockets, built in hydration carrier. It's technically designed to fit over your armor vest, but if you're not too small, you can just tighten up the straps and it works perfectly. It fits my 6'2", 190lb frame just right.

http://specopstech.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=146_170&products_id=1573&page=2

cgjane
09-04-12, 13:48
I think its beneficial to have your hydration carrier separated. So that you can refill/remove without messing with your rig.

pentosinjunkie
09-04-12, 23:45
As others have intoned, I'd recommend the ATS slick or M4 rig with their detachable hydro pouch, or a BFG rackminus or ten-speed. Question is how much are you willing to spend on primary mag pouches; tacos, kywis, etc. for the slick rigs. If absolute value and adaptability is the concern, I'd choose the ATS m4 rig.

While the mini-mav is well-made, I feel it's somewhat dated and limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD