PDA

View Full Version : Pick a suppressor to use on both of these:

ASH556
08-31-12, 11:25
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9869.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9765.jpg

Note that the 16" gun has a lightweight barrel, so the can needs to be lightweight to maximize handling and minimize barrel droop.

The MK18 is a factory DD 10.3, so the mount has to work with that barrel/rail.

I like the new AAC Ranger 3 for price and performance. It's short and pretty light too. The only downside is the thread-mount. Not sure how often I'd want to swap. Maybe I should buy one for each gun?:D

I also like the AAC Mini4. It's still gonna be pretty loud on the MK18, though.

Other contender would be a Surefire unit, but I don't know much at all about them.

Other options?

Main critera:
1) Cost - Let's face it, yes, you buy it for life, but it's also consumable. It's going to wear out. I'm not worried about a few dB one way or the other
2) Lightweight
3) Short
4) Mounting System
5) Durability

Magic_Salad0892
08-31-12, 12:22
16'' gun. I would run SureFire Micro.

10.3'' I would run either SureFire 212/SOCOM, or KAC NT4.

beve
08-31-12, 12:25
A suppressor for an average Joe is mostly about reducing the noise to the shooter more so than reducing the noise to a enemy or reducing flash. On an AR15, a lot of the noise comes from the ejection port, so the more blow-back the louder it will sound.

With all that said, a mini suppressor like the SF mini or mini4 is going to be what you want on a mk18 or 14.5/16 gun. It will sound the same at the shooters ear and will reduce gas blow-back into the system, making it nicer to shoot.

Hope that helped.

markm
08-31-12, 12:40
16'' gun. I would run SureFire Micro.

No doubt. That skinny barrel troubles me every time I see that gun in a thread, Man!... :(

JasonM
08-31-12, 14:09
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9869.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9765.jpg

Note that the 16" gun has a lightweight barrel, so the can needs to be lightweight to maximize handling and minimize barrel droop.

The MK18 is a factory DD 10.3, so the mount has to work with that barrel/rail.

I like the new AAC Ranger 3 for price and performance. It's short and pretty light too. The only downside is the thread-mount. Not sure how often I'd want to swap. Maybe I should buy one for each gun?:D

I also like the AAC Mini4. It's still gonna be pretty loud on the MK18, though.

Other contender would be a Surefire unit, but I don't know much at all about them.

Other options?

Main critera:
1) Cost - Let's face it, yes, you buy it for life, but it's also consumable. It's going to wear out. I'm not worried about a few dB one way or the other
2) Lightweight
3) Short
4) Mounting System
5) Durability

What is your experience with 5.56 cans (actually, any cans)? I just ask to get a frame of reference in terms of your sound expectations.

ASH556
08-31-12, 14:14
What is your experience with 5.56 cans (actually, any cans)? I just ask to get a frame of reference in terms of your sound expectations.

Currently own an AAC Evo 9 that was a B-day gift from Kevin back in the day. Don't currently own any other cans, but grew up at Bullseye (literally) and worked there for 7 years, so pretty familiar with 556 cans and what they sound like. Range officer at the 2nd Silencer Shoot, so again, got to hear/play with a lot. Problem is, I don't really care for all the whiz-bang features of some of the newer cans. Very close buddy has an SPR M4 that sits in his safe. He doesn't even have the mount on one of his AR's because the damn thing's so heavy.

Just want something to be sorta quiet and mask location on the 16" gun and tame the blast on the 10.3" gun. No illusions of Hollywood quietness here.

If it's a QD can, just one and swap between the two guns.

JasonM
08-31-12, 14:26
Currently own an AAC Evo 9 that was a B-day gift from Kevin back in the day. Don't currently own any other cans, but grew up at Bullseye (literally) and worked there for 7 years, so pretty familiar with 556 cans and what they sound like. Range officer at the 2nd Silencer Shoot, so again, got to hear/play with a lot. Problem is, I don't really care for all the whiz-bang features of some of the newer cans. Very close buddy has an SPR M4 that sits in his safe. He doesn't even have the mount on one of his AR's because the damn thing's so heavy.

Just want something to be sorta quiet and mask location on the 16" gun and tame the blast on the 10.3" gun. No illusions of Hollywood quietness here.

If it's a QD can, just one and swap between the two guns.

Cool, I just get worried anytime someone uses any word like "quiet" in conjunction with ARs.

In that case, your best choices are either the SF MINI or the AAC Mini4.

They are both compact, lightweight, yet super durable options. And they both cut down the noise and especially the blast quite a bit.

I like the SF mount, but they price their cans like they're smoking crack. Either way, for the MK18, make sure you get the right mount to clear the rail.

The NT4 is fine, but it's heavy and the mount is the sloppiest of all by far.

fixit69
09-02-12, 11:42
Since cost is first on your list, AAC is what I would tell you. Surefire is good stuff but like JasonM said, somone needs to put the pipe down and put a smaller price tag on it.

ASH556
09-02-12, 16:09
Since cost is first on your list, AAC is what I would tell you. Surefire is good stuff but like JasonM said, somone needs to put the pipe down and put a smaller price tag on it.

Yeah, that's kinda been my feeling. Since Kevin is lo longer with AAC, my allegiance to the company isn't so much there anymore, but the product still looks like the best choice, especially for the price. I've never really cared for the "ping" of the Blackout mounts, but Battlecomp is now offering a 51-tooth retrofit that I may take advantage of.

Tootsies
09-04-12, 11:24
We have almost identical setups on both rifles, except my mk18 is 10.5 and my other one is not a light weight and is 14.5" barrel.
I have been using a AAC n6 on both and it has been pretty good, but I don't like the extra weight and length and I still shoot with ear pro on. Yesterday I went to my dealer to try out a mini, and I really liked it. Weight wise I couldn't even tell it was on there. I think I'll be ordering one soon.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1580/20120903134713.jpg

ASH556
09-04-12, 11:52
We have almost identical setups on both rifles, except my mk18 is 10.5 and my other one is not a light weight and is 14.5" barrel.
I have been using a AAC n6 on both and it has been pretty good, but I don't like the extra weight and length and I still shoot with ear pro on. Yesterday I went to my dealer to try out a mini, and I really liked it. Weight wise I couldn't even tell it was on there. I think I'll be ordering one soon.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1580/20120903134713.jpg

I saw this pic in another thread this morning. Good confirmation for me. Thanks for popping in here!

TehLlama
09-04-12, 13:38
I concur with SF Mini or AAC Mini4. The Mk18 upper rules out any sort of reflex cans, but you still want something compact for that bugger. Micro cans on MK18's are still kinda niche items, so it comes down to a comparison of price against POI shift.

As you already eluded to, especially on that 16" unit, barrel droop will be a factor, but in terms of minimizing POI shift I suspect you'd still be ahead with the SF, the question then becomes if it's really worth the added cost to you to go that route.

MagicSalad had solid suggestions, but price of the SF would suggest that a middle of the road can that does both jobs might be what makes the SF affordable enough to look at (admittedly I'm not up to speed on the street cost of the Mini4, but I know it's a not as expensive)

Magic_Salad0892
09-05-12, 00:52
No doubt. That skinny barrel troubles me every time I see that gun in a thread, Man!... :(

I'm with you, bro. I hate skinny barrels.

fastfive0
09-05-12, 08:35
I will go outside the box and say how about a yhm phantom Ti? It's lightweight an warrantied for you barrel length. And from all the testing I have seen and heard there is not much difference in suppression when compared to any of the silencers mentioned in this thread.

BigLarge
09-07-12, 20:40
... but Battlecomp is now offering a 51-tooth retrofit that I may take advantage of.

Oh really?

and my vote is AAC mini because of price and the BC 51T you mentioned

RyanB
09-08-12, 04:17
My prediction is that the bc 51T front end is eroded quickly. They are hideously expensive anyway.

If you look hard or drive a hard bargain you can get a SF mini for $1100.

ASH556
09-10-12, 14:40
My prediction is that the bc 51T front end is eroded quickly. They are hideously expensive anyway.

If you look hard or drive a hard bargain you can get a SF mini for $1100.

Fair thought on the erosion. $1100 is too much for me.

Ranger 3 vs AAC Mini?

Keep the MK18 "dedicated" and install the Ranger with rocksett?

RyanB
09-10-12, 14:54
I have a dedicated suppressed SBR. Small port and heavy buffer. It's a dream to shoot. The Ranger 3 could only be better. My can is welded on but I imagine that if a QD mount holds up with rocksett and torque that'll keep the Ranger 3 on. You'll need an X buffer at least.

Tootsies
09-10-12, 15:02
I would spend the extra money for the mini. Then you can move it around as you see fit. If you are like me I can't keep a configuration the same for long and I change stuff up.