PDA

View Full Version : I have an extra lower, school me on precision AR's

highlighter
08-31-12, 12:24
I have a lower with a two-stage trigger. I'm thinking about making a precision AR. What upper would I get for this purpose? Any brades better than others? Does BCG matter?

Koshinn
08-31-12, 12:32
Get a good ss barrel, good optics, and a free floating rail. That's about all that really matters. And ammo.

highlighter
08-31-12, 12:41
Get a good ss barrel, good optics, and a free floating rail. That's about all that really matters. And ammo.

I don't know which SS barrels are good. Any suggestions as to manufactures?

BobinNC
08-31-12, 13:40
Rainer Arms has: Noveske, Rainer Arms Ultra Match, and White Oak barrels in stock, and those are among the "best" barrels available.

If I were building a precision AR, and weight was not a big concern, I would start with one of Noveske's Stainless 20″ Medium Varmint 5.56mm Barrels. IMHO and YMMV

fallenromeo
08-31-12, 17:49
The Noveske SS and RA Ultra-match barrels are both very nice. I believe the RA Ultra-Match is made on Shilen blanks. BCM also makes a high quality SS barrel. However, if I was in your shoes. I would go with the White Oak barrel. They are every bit as quality as the Noveske or Ultra-match, maybe more so in the precision department, but also a bit cheaper too. That would be my pick.

As for the BCG question, I don't think that matters, but I am honestly not sure. I have never seen a "match-grade" BCG or "precision" BCG so I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. Maybe someone else can chime in here?

LtNovakUSA
08-31-12, 21:26
As far as BCG there are the Young Mfg "National Match" BCGs, they are a 1/2 oz heavier than normal BCGs. If you go through rainier arms, they come with staked keys, but they normally dont have them young mfg seems to think that locktite is sufficient. I don't think it makes a difference though, a good BCM will do just fine in a precision AR. Personally I think a NM BCG is snake oil but YMMV.

bobsolla
08-31-12, 22:12
Rainer Arms has: Noveske, Rainer Arms Ultra Match, and White Oak barrels in stock, and those are among the "best" barrels available.

If I were building a precision AR, and weight was not a big concern, I would start with one of Noveske's Stainless 20″ Medium Varmint 5.56mm Barrels. IMHO and YMMV

i just ordered that today from rainier arms for my precision upper build!

bobsolla
08-31-12, 22:15
As far as BCG there are the Young Mfg "National Match" BCGs, they are a 1/2 oz heavier than normal BCGs. If you go through rainier arms, they come with staked keys, but they normally dont have them young mfg seems to think that locktite is sufficient. I don't think it makes a difference though, a good BCM will do just fine in a precision AR. Personally I think a NM BCG is snake oil but YMMV.

i use a young manufacturing m16 national match in my 300 blackout and i`am getting another for my new 5.56 upper build with the s.s. 20" noveske barrel.

LtNovakUSA
08-31-12, 22:19
i use a young manufacturing m16 national match in my 300 blackout and i`am getting another for my new 5.56 upper build with the s.s. 20" noveske barrel.

Are you getting any accuracy improvements with it?

bobsolla
08-31-12, 22:24
Are you getting any accuracy improvements with it?

if you`re talking at me,i `am just starting to order parts for my upper build.today i ordered the barrel.sorry if your not.

LtNovakUSA
08-31-12, 22:34
if you`re talking at me,i `am just starting to order parts for my upper build.today i ordered the barrel.sorry if your not.

Yes was wondering if it was working out in your 300BLK. Would love to hear a report once you get the 556 up and running

bobsolla
08-31-12, 22:48
Yes was wondering if it was working out in your 300BLK. Would love to hear a report once you get the 556 up and running

the young manufacturing bcg works great in my 300 blackout.smooth as butter!

Country DeVil
08-31-12, 23:56
I am in the same boat, kind of, standard trigger for me. I was thinking about a larue stealth upper for mine. any input on the stealth as a precision / light weight hunter upper?

BigLarge
09-01-12, 21:53
I am in the same boat, kind of, standard trigger for me. I was thinking about a larue stealth upper for mine. any input on the stealth as a precision / light weight hunter upper?

Supposedly uses the same barrel as the famed OBR. Heard it uses a "standard" BCG (OBR's have a special one). Accuracy guarantee of 3/4 MOA with good ammo. For a "drop in" precision upper I dont know how you could go wrong (or much better, for that matter).

Magic_Salad0892
09-03-12, 22:13
If I was building a true 5.56mm precision AR, I'd be using a Mike Rock 4150CMV 1:7 18'' RIFLE gas barrel. .750 profile, bull barrel. Match crown. (They still do custom barrels I think.) And I'd send the barrel off to be cryogenically treated, then nitrided.

KAC suppressor + T3 brake. KAC 12'' RAS. KAC Micro backups. KAC 1 piece scope mount. Nightforce 2.5-10X NXS. LMT Enhanced carrier. Colt bolt + BCM extractor upgrade kit. VLTOR MUR-1S upper (I'd pull off the ejection port door, as I usually do.), BCM Gunfighter and call it a day.

As for lower.

Either a KAC SR-15 E3 lower, but in your case just a standard mil spec lower.

Ambi controls. (KAC for me.)
KAC, or Gieselle trigger.
KAC, or magpul trigger guard.
Tango Down pistol grip.
KAC, or CQD endplate.
Gear Sector two point sling, with mount-n-slot.
VLTOR A5 system. 5.1 oz standard A5 buffer + Sprinco GREEN M16 spring.
LMT/B5 SOPMOD stock, or VLTOR stock. (LMT SOPMOD for me.)

Add PMAGs, and Federal Gold Medal Match.

MistWolf
09-04-12, 06:25
I've had good results from the Walther-Lothar 20" stainless steel barrel for a precision AR.

Young NM carriers do not improve accuracy at all. Service Rifle match shooters have tried them and saw no difference compared to standard carriers.

I used a VLTOR MUR upper as it's stiffer than the standard forged upper. I cannot say it's made a difference in accuracy.

The Stealth upper by all reports is a good choice. Personally, I do not care for it's quad handguard and feel billet upper receivers are over priced

d90king
09-04-12, 07:11

You will be very pleased with the accuracy that the Stealth offers. I run an 18"/13.2" and have been very pleased with it. It loves 69gr SMK's and is more accurate than I am. It is a great out of the box solution that is very reasonably priced.

It doesn't see much light these days, but that's only because I have been shooting a lot of .308 (OBR, MWS, SCAR 17) for long range precision work.

Magic_Salad0892
09-05-12, 02:21
I've had good results from the Walther-Lothar 20" stainless steel barrel for a precision AR.

Young NM carriers do not improve accuracy at all. Service Rifle match shooters have tried them and saw no difference compared to standard carriers.

I used a VLTOR MUR upper as it's stiffer than the standard forged upper. I cannot say it's made a difference in accuracy.

The Stealth upper by all reports is a good choice. Personally, I do not care for it's quad handguard and feel billet upper receivers are over priced

My logic, and the reason I use 'em now, is that they help with POI shift when you toss on a can.