PDA

View Full Version : building new 5.56 upper-thoughts?

bobsolla
08-31-12, 12:55
hey guys,i`am going to build a new 20" upper in 5.56.i wanted to see what you guys think.i just ordered the barrel from rainier arms today. it will be a precision /target shooter.here`s the build list i have in mind:1:noveske stainless steel 20" medium varmint barrel.2:core 15 barrel nut(extra thick) for the heck of it.3:vltor mur with forward assist upper.4:troy industries 15" alpha rail without sights.5:magpul ladder rail covers.6:young manufacturing m16 national match bolt carrier group.7:bcm gunfighter mod 4 charging handle.8:i will decide on optics later;as that is another decision for both preference and financial consideration.i think this should be an awesome tack driver upper.thanks!:cool:

MidwestRookie
08-31-12, 14:48
Sounds ok to me, tho I fail to see how an AFG makes sense on that kind of upper..wouldn't it benefit more from a bipod?

bobsolla
08-31-12, 14:59
Sounds ok to me, tho I fail to see how an AFG makes sense on that kind of upper..wouldn't it benefit more from a bipod?

your right!i have one on my 300 blackout and the thought overcome me.i have a bipod for it already!

clmarshall21
08-31-12, 15:05
The parts list sounds good. Dont forget about a gas tube and a low pro gas block (I think Noveske barrels come with them already but I thought it wouldn't hurt to point it out).

It will certainly be a heavy upper. I mean really heavy. The AFG is more geared towards a weapon primarily fired from non supported positions. Add an optic to this upper with any significant maginification (generally more mag means more weight) and you have a rifle that you won't even want to fire unsopported. If you are going to be using this as a paper puncher and varmint gun, a bipod is a must and I would suggest finding a new home for the AFG.

Good luck man

MidwestRookie
08-31-12, 15:09
your right!i have one on my 300 blackout and the thought overcome me.i have a bipod for it already!

Good deal. It's not that I'm anti-AFG or anything it just seemed a little out place..

If you don't have it already, I have a brand new 15" alpha with squid grips I never used (went with a URX 3.1) if you wanna save a few bucks..pm me if you're interested.

bobsolla
08-31-12, 15:18
The parts list sounds good. Dont forget about a gas tube and a low pro gas block (I think Noveske barrels come with them already but I thought it wouldn't hurt to point it out).

It will certainly be a heavy upper. I mean really heavy. The AFG is more geared towards a weapon primarily fired from non supported positions. Add an optic to this upper with any significant maginification (generally more mag means more weight) and you have a rifle that you won't even want to fire unsopported. If you are going to be using this as a paper puncher and varmint gun, a bipod is a must and I would suggest finding a new home for the AFG.

Good luck manthanks guys!i have a bipod for it already.i was just trying to think of everything going on it and i crossed my thoughts with my 300 blackout build.the low profile gas block and tube do come with the barrel,thank you for pointing that out!i`am aware this will be somewhat heavy.the barrel weighs in at 53 ozs.also,if it matters,i have come up with a build price of $1,108.00

bobsolla
08-31-12, 15:23
Good deal. It's not that I'm anti-AFG or anything it just seemed a little out place..

If you don't have it already, I have a brand new 15" alpha with squid grips I never used (went with a URX 3.1) if you wanna save a few bucks..pm me if you're interested.

sounds good,but this is a paycheck build.i don`t know how long you would hold on to it for.is it the brand new style,and is it black?if so,i may be interested.