PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CM9 for CCW

aaron_c
09-01-12, 10:04
Hey guys, I'm mostly set on the Kahr CM9 right now for my primary concealed carry choice. I went back and forth between it and the BG380, but wanted to stick with the 9mm for the extra power and because I already have a Glock 19. As I said in another thread, I have to wear things like suits, slacks, khakis, always with shirts tucked in at work so I need something extremely concealable (a little more difficult being 6'3 160 lbs). Those of you who have experience with the Kahr CM9/PM9, has it proven itself overall as a solid CCW piece? I looked at the Kel Tec PF9 for a long time due to its price, but this isn't an area I'm really up for skimping on so I dropped it off my list in favor of the comparably but better (IMO) CM9.

ImBroke
09-01-12, 13:08
I haven't put nearly as many rounds through my CM9 as my Glocks yet so take this for what it's worth. It has so far not had any malfunctions with WWB and Fed fmj. After I adjusted the slide release a little with a file, it has fed a couple hundred 124gr Gold Dots without issue. Initially, the wide mouth of the hollowpoint coming up the magazine to feed would activate the slide release and lock the slide back once every couple of mags, hence the file work.
I have installed a Dawson front tritium sight and it is still on tight after 300 rounds. So far ~600 rounds through the gun. MUCH more accurate and easy to fire quickly than my small revolvers.

AKDoug
09-01-12, 13:38
I do not have a CM9. I do have a CW40. The trigger systems are identical and the frames are very similar.

Out of the box my CW was an utter failure. Failures to feed were expected because I was willing to accept kahr's required 200 round break in period. The issue was that it would radomly eject magazines onto the ground. It began as an every once in a while, then progressed to an every shot kind of deal. This all happened before my warranty card had made it to Kahr. I was in the middle of a busy week so I didn't have time to contact Kahr. I did have time to order a new magazine release online from them. I'd rather spend $25 to do that then drive the 60 miles to the nearest place I could UPS the pistol back to Kahr (I live in rural Alaska)

I installed the mad release myself using a YouTube tutorial. I immediately headed to the range that night (luckily I have keys) and ran off 200 rounds with no failures of any kind. Every other night after work I would stop and shoot 50 rounds. By the end of the next week I was up to 500 rounds with no failures and no cleaning the gun. At that point I was happy and started carrying the gun.

I have now carried it for 45 days continuously, continuing to shoot it a few times a week. I am now over 1200 rounds with zero failures. The gun is easy to shoot and accurate. It is very slim and light, which makes it ideal for my use. I spend my day as a business owner going from my desk to a semi-truck, to a forklift, to underneath a dozed with a welder. I tried other compact and full size pistols and couldn't get them to work for my use. I just ended up removing them all the time. With the Kahr I have yet to remove it during my work day.

aaron_c
09-01-12, 14:13
Thanks guys! Is the CM9 the type of gun you can kind of forget it's there (in the good way)? How do you carry it, IWB or in pocket?

m4brian
09-01-12, 16:07
I have a pm9 and it is my carry gun. It can legitimately carry it in your pocket. It does require practice after shooting other "shorter" triggers, but is accurate and reliable. It is also so light and slim, thus I picked it over a revolver.

Btw: anyone know a good paddle holster? (I would like this over a belt, as with dress belts, they are too thin for good support).

AKDoug
09-01-12, 16:07
I don't live in world of tucked in shirts. My work wear is untucked t-shirts and hoodies. I carry my CW40 in an OWB leather holster and while I never forget it's there it's also very comfortable. My damn I-phone holster is way more uncomfortable.

The CM series is a bit smaller, but I still wouldn't consider it a pocket pistol. A good tuckable IWB is going to make it disappear under a tucked(slightly loose) polo shirt.

AKDoug
09-01-12, 16:14
Btw: anyone know a good paddle holster? (I would like this over a belt, as with dress belts, they are too thin for good support). There are belt systems out there that look like dress belts but are strong enough for holsters. My experience with paddles is that they are no easier to get off than a good holster with snap loops, and snap loop holsters seem to tuck tighter.

warpedcamshaft
09-01-12, 17:06
Hey guys, I'm mostly set on the Kahr CM9 right now for my primary concealed carry choice. I went back and forth between it and the BG380, but wanted to stick with the 9mm for the extra power and because I already have a Glock 19. As I said in another thread, I have to wear things like suits, slacks, khakis, always with shirts tucked in at work so I need something extremely concealable (a little more difficult being 6'3 160 lbs). Those of you who have experience with the Kahr CM9/PM9, has it proven itself overall as a solid CCW piece? I looked at the Kel Tec PF9 for a long time due to its price, but this isn't an area I'm really up for skimping on so I dropped it off my list in favor of the comparably but better (IMO) CM9.

Here is a review of the CW9 (Yes I know you asked about CM9 but the two guns are similar):

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=109043

I make reference to the PF9 and the LC9 for some comparison purposes... In my experience the CW9 is worlds better than the PF9.

packinaglock
09-01-12, 17:10
My PM 9 (carry it from time to time) has been great, even through the 200 round break in period never a hicup. The only time I ever had a couple of FTE was when I put a pinkie extension on one of my mags, I took it back off and the problem never happened again. I probably have around 700 rounds through this gun.

ImBroke
09-01-12, 17:23
How do you carry it, IWB or in pocket?

Usually in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. But I also have a High Noon IWB for it. I find it a little hard to get a positive grip on it when carrying IWB with that holster though.

CompressionIgnition
09-01-12, 20:50
I have a CM9 for pocket carry. I've put about 400 rounds through it, of various types. The one brand that gave me trouble was the Winchester "NATO" labeled ammo (124 grain, 10% higher pressure, per box spec). I would get feed failures every mag.

I would put in Fed. FMJ 115 grain, shoot trouble free, then put the above ammo in and get feed failures.

All other ammo I've tried has worked without ANY failures, specifically
Federal HST 147 gr
Federal FMJ 115 gr
Speer Lawman TMJ 147 gr

aaron_c
09-02-12, 10:19
Thanks for the replies, guys! The BG380 still keeps popping up in my mind due to the ease of pocket carry, but I have trouble justifying paying considerably more money for a considerably less effective round. Hopefully I'll be able to carry the CM9 in my pocket like I want, at least in khakis and suits and such (that tend to have bigger pockets).

Those of you who pocket carry- with a phone, keys, and a handgun, how do you have all three on you in just 2 pockets?

F-Trooper05
09-02-12, 11:12
What are the differences between the CM9 and PM9 other than the rifling in the barrel? In other words, why the $250 price difference?

CC556
09-02-12, 11:18
What are the differences between the CM9 and PM9 other than the rifling in the barrel? In other words, why the $250 price difference?

http://cdn.gunsamerica.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/cm-chart.jpg

I've had a PM9 for a couple of years now. I don't shoot it a lot, but I've put a few hundred through it and have had no malfunctions of any kind. It's a great little pistol.

F-Trooper05
09-02-12, 11:30
Thanks for that! What do they mean by "fewer machining operations on the slide exterior"? Is that just another way of saying "roll marks"?

ETA: Nevermind, I think I see the differences in the picture. Thanks, again.

ImBroke
09-02-12, 11:49
Those of you who pocket carry- with a phone, keys, and a handgun, how do you have all three on you in just 2 pockets?

Phone goes on the belt.

Delemus
09-02-12, 12:10
Why not a CW9?

aaron_c
09-02-12, 14:56
Why not a CW9?

There's no way a CW9 would be concealable for me with business attire. As I mentioned, the CM9 is right on the verge of being too large to conceal, I'm afraid. Also, I already have a Glock 19, and the CW9 doesn't appear to be that much smaller than it is (other than probably width).

jswhitesell619
09-02-12, 15:43
The cm9 is a nice little pistol, I have one and shoot and carry it from time to time. For a small pistol I find it reliable, comfortable and a nice gun. I have 500 or so rounds through the gun and haven't had any issues. I have seen some kahr pistols take the break in period and others that haven't had any issues. For a 9mm, its about as small as you can get and still have a shootable weapon IMO

brushy bill
09-02-12, 16:09
OP, have you considered the S&W Shield? They are scarce right now, but reviews I've read this site comparing the two usually put the Shield on top.

aaron_c
09-02-12, 17:57
Yeah I did consider the Shield, like it a lot, it's just too big for this purpose. I think at some point I could see myself getting a gun like that for winter carry, though.

GTM
09-03-12, 09:50
I've had 3 Kahrs: a P380, PM9 and CM9. I've never had any problems with any of them. The trigger is smooth but long.

That being said, I've recently traded off my PM9 for a Walther PPS 9. I've grown to dislike the long trigger since most of my trigger time and training is with a G26. I've kept the CM9 for the times when my other choices are too big, but I prefer a shorter, Glock-like trigger which the PPS closely resembles.

TMS951
09-12-12, 10:40
I have a PM9, and love it. I know people like the shield, and it seems to be a great weapon, but the Kahr is smaller.

I find the PM9 to be extremely shootable and accurate, both surprising so.

But the big thing is it changed my attitude towards carrying. It disappears, I carry it in a PJ Kydex holster IWB. It draws super fast and easy, and is very comfortable. I didn't carry as much with a larger gun, it is so much easier with the PM9 because I don't have to dress around the gun, I can wear what ever I want. It does not print, and does not become exposed if I bend over or am active.

piesandcheese
09-12-12, 14:37
I carry my CM9 every single day. It has been the best carry gun I've ever used.

It had a couple failures to feed during the break in period. The gun was super tight upon purchase and I found the break in period to be necessary. Ever since then, the gun has been flawless. Because of it's size, it is sensitive to limp-wristing. As long as you do your part, the gun will serve you quite well.

Performance-wise, this thing is top notch. Despite it's size, it is one of my most accurate handguns, capable of sub 1'' groups at 30 yards. The trigger has a long pull, but it's exceptionally smooth with a crisp break, much like a polished Smith revolver.

Not that it matters too much, but this is also the easiest to clean gun I've ever used.

You also asked the differences between the cm9 and the pm9:

The pm9 has more slide machining (cosmetic).
The pm9 has engraved logo on slide, the cm9 is roll stamped.
The takedown pin on the pm9 is machined, where the cm9 is forged.
The pm9 has polygonal rifling, the cm9 is conventionally rifled.
The pm9 has a dovetailed front sight, the cm9 has a pinned front sight.

These are the only differences. Kahr is a very nice company and wouldn't leave out any steps from the process that would compromise the integrity of the gun's function or reliability.

I hope that helps :)

maximus83
09-12-12, 16:25
I've run a PM9 for years and loved it. Because the CM9 is built on the same design but with only a few cost-saving differences as listed, it benefits from Kahr's years of manufacturing experience with improving the PM9. If I were buying a subcompact today, I'd test a CM9 too.

I like the M&P Shield in concept, but the Kahr PM9/CM9 is several ounces lighter and is now a fairly mature and well debugged platform. The Shield is well executed too, but is larger and is still a brand new model by S&W. For me, the Shield is not different enough from the M&P compact to make it worthwhile.

When I want something bigger, I carry my M&P compact (12+1 rounds). When I want a subcompact, single-stack 9, the Kahr PM9 or CM9's are one of the smallest pistols I've seen that are still reliable and controllable.

aaron_c
09-12-12, 17:24
I picked up my CM9 this past Friday. I haven't had time to shoot it yet since I went to a college football game (watched my Warhawks knock off the Hogs in LR!). My only issue with it after fondling it multiple times is that the plastic slide rails appear to be a bit rough, with what appears to be some scratches etc. on them. I plan to take it out this Saturday and put some rounds through it.

AKDoug
09-13-12, 00:06
Ignore the scratches on the rails, every one I have seen has them. In fact you will probably find a few plastic shavings in there during your first cleaning. Just shoot the break-in rounds, lube and practice with it.

Rosco Benson
09-13-12, 08:10
One issue with the 9mm Kahrs; the top-most round in one's spare magazine tends to work its way forward if carried loose in a pocket or in a pouch that isn't closely formed to prevent this. This can result in the top-most round being halfway out of the magazine and can foul up one's reload (and if you're having to reload your pistol in a fight, you are already having a real bad day). The .40's and .45's do not exhibit this problem, so I would attribute it to the 9mm's tapered case.

For me, this isn't a deal-breaker. However, it is something of which to be aware.

Rosco

Cazwell
09-13-12, 10:33
One issue with the 9mm Kahrs; the top-most round in one's spare magazine tends to work its way forward if carried loose in a pocket or in a pouch that isn't closely formed to prevent this. This can result in the top-most round being halfway out of the magazine and can foul up one's reload (and if you're having to reload your pistol in a fight, you are already having a real bad day). The .40's and .45's do not exhibit this problem, so I would attribute it to the 9mm's tapered case.

For me, this isn't a deal-breaker. However, it is something of which to be aware.

Rosco

I've noticed this with some of my 9mm mags as well. I have several kahrs in 9mm and they have been fantastic.

mashed68
09-13-12, 23:41
I too needed a very small 9mm for pocket carry and Im fairly skinny so my choices were small. I ended up with the PM9 and have been extremely pleased with it. I had one failure to feed in the first mag of ammo I ran threw it and its been perfect ever since then, at about 500rds now. I've run different FMJ and hollowpoints at normal and +p ratings. I don't think I could have made a better choice to be honest.

arizona98tj
09-15-12, 13:14
I've been carrying a PM9 now for several years and have been completely satisfied with it. I'll run a mag or two through it at the range once in a while I'm there shooting something else. Never had any issues with it even during the first couple hundred "break in" rounds. At the range, I typically shoot the same reloads I use in my XD9s.

I usually OWB carry but I've pocket carried it too. The CM9 was not available when I bought my PM9. I would probably gotten it had it been. I think you'll be happy with a CM9.....I would not hesitate to get one.