PDA

View Full Version : charging handle not locking

fuzzynutkila
09-01-12, 15:24
Hey guys,
On Wednesday , I finally got my new Colt LE6920 MOE and I took it apart to clean and lube properly. One thing I noticed was that before I disassembled the rifle, the charge handle would lock once cocked back all the way but now it doesnt. I am very new to owning a rifle and it's probably somethin easy that I'm not doing but I thought I might ask. Also, before disassembling, it didn't lock at first , then I don't know what I did but it started locking until I disassembled?
While I'm here I have to say that I also have over purchased on cleaning solutions and lubes I think and I need direction. I have Hopes #9 , which I soaked bolt carrier pieced in and then wiped them down and applied a light coat of oil. I also applied #9 to a cloth and sent it through the bore. Then I used a slightly wet cloth with CLP and ran that through. I used Hoppes Elite gun oil for all lube spots. Is the oil also supposed to go in bore? How do YOU use CLP ? Seems like the elite oil and CLP are redundant. Thanks.

polymorpheous
09-01-12, 15:51
Read the sticky threads.
Learn the manual of arms for the weapon you've just received.
Questions? Use the orange search button at the top of the screen.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61505

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79448

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

AKDoug
09-01-12, 16:24
Without an empty magazine in the rifle, the charging handle/bolt will not lock back. The empty magazine triggers the bolt holdback function. The other way to accomplish this is to pull the charging handle to the rear, hold it, and push the lower portion of the bolt release lever in.

fuzzynutkila
09-01-12, 17:50
Thank you for the tip and Doug. Thanks for the protocol Morpheus.

sinlessorrow
09-01-12, 23:21
Thank you for the tip and Doug. Thanks for the protocol Morpheus.

If you are talking about the BCG being locked to the rear this happens with an empty magazine.

when the magazine is empty the follower will engage the bolt hold and will push it up blocking the bolts travel forward, thus locking it to the rear. you can manually do this by pressing the bottom of the bolt release and charging the rifle.

Scorpion
09-10-12, 17:48
You don't need to soak the bolt carrier group in the Hoppes #9. Lube it lightly for storage, lube it heavily (as in damn near bathe the entire group in it) for shooting. You can (lightly) oil the bore but it isn't needed unless you are storing the weapon for long periods of time.

Any areas that have metal-to-metal contact (the surface on the bolt carrier that engages the hammer, for instance) should be lubricated. This includes areas on the LPK, such as the sear.

The Hoppes #9 should really only be used to clean the bore; use it according to the instruction on the bottle. If it is a new weapon, the bore likely does not need a deep cleaning, so the Hoppes isn't needed.

ETA: didn't realize the last reply on this was nine days ago. Sorry.