PDA

View Full Version : Back into the AR life again

Tang419
09-01-12, 17:40
I had gotten away from it for awhile. During the Obama scare in '08 I sold mine for some healthy profits and hadnt really given any thought to another one. Until I seen this Colt 6920 MPFDE, some call it ugly, but I love it, and what do you know, it followed me home.

I'm still no AR expert, and the only thing I see wrong with it (atleast seems wrong to me), is there is quite a bit of play between the upper and lower, where my Bushy and two M&P's never had it. Doesn't seem to bother accuracy much though, this thing shoots well. With a Tasco 3-9x40 on it for fun, and some 62gr PMC X-Tac's it put 5 shots 0.992" center to center at 100 yds.

Anyway, Ive been told by a couple of people that it is a limited edition, but I don't know if thats true or not. Is there any truth to that ?

This is my first Colt, so I'm pretty excited about it. One thing is for sure, there is no doubting that the carrier key on this one is staked well. I love the Magpul furniture and the PMAG's. With the 1/7 twist barrel, I'm expecting the 75gr TAP ammo to be no issue at all for it.

Split66
09-01-12, 17:49
No worries about the play.

No word I've seen on them limiting the run for the FDE or OD anodized weapons. Looks like Colt is going in the direction of color anodizing with their modular weapon system too, so they may offer it for a while or add other colors/camo patterns to the lineup.

Iraqgunz
09-01-12, 20:22
Play between the upper and lower means absolutely nothing. As for the Bushy and M&P. They have bigger things to worry about other than just a little play.

Safetyhit
09-01-12, 20:29
Almost makes you wonder when someone will come out with a solid copper lower just because they can.

Tang419
09-01-12, 21:32
I think the one I have, is a love it or hate it gun. But either way, I did not go wrong with the Colt right ?

Colt guy
09-01-12, 21:36
I like them in fact I have a couple in the safe.

Tang419
09-01-12, 21:38
For me, Im ecstatic. its my first Colt. there is also a Colt 6920 Soccom at the shop, Im thinking about getting it too.

In the back, since my friend is class 3, we have a post Viietnam M16A1, that us quite fun to play with too.

arjohnson
09-01-12, 21:57
Nice, I got the same one recently and I like it alot. I think the FDE looks really good. Unlike yours the fit on mine is perfect with no wobble, no big deal if it did as I have a couple BCM's and LMT's, all those haver a little wobble but shoot great.

Colt guy
09-01-12, 22:00
I suggest you buy ammo, and take a class or two. Glad you like your new Colt.

sinlessorrow
09-01-12, 22:04
For me, Im ecstatic. its my first Colt. there is also a Colt 6920 Soccom at the shop, Im thinking about getting it too.

In the back, since my friend is class 3, we have a post Viietnam M16A1, that us quite fun to play with too.

Colt is top quality. They are the brand that all are compared to for good reason. Colt OWNS the TDP, this means they are allowed to build civilian rifles to the TDP, something no other manuf. can do.

Tang419
09-02-12, 14:45
Oh I can shoot it just fine. I was just curious who all had one and how rare they really were.

3 AE
09-02-12, 17:02
I think the one I have, is a love it or hate it gun. But either way, I did not go wrong with the Colt right ?

What would you do if a lot of us said you bought a lemon? Would you have gone and sold/traded it? A search of the 6920 in various forums would have provided all the info necessary to instill confidence in your choice, regardless of others opinions.

justin_247
09-02-12, 18:42
Christ, people! Quit being jerks to the dude.

Yes, you have a great weapon. The 6920 will treat you very well. Don't let others complain about the color - that's an easy fix if you decide later on you don't like it.

jaxman7
09-02-12, 20:13
I agree with Justin247. I was out of the AR world because of personal and financial reasons for about a year and a half. I was miserable not being able to shoot or train with one. Just a few months ago I FINALLY got things to the point that I could build my next rifle. Sounds cheesy and stupid but I can't describe how glad I am now that I can be back to shooting and training with an AR.

I can empathize with this guys enthusiasm. There is nothing wrong with him being excited over a Colt. Sure aesthetically you may not like it but it's still a Colt. He is happy with it and made a good purchase. Nothing wrong with enthusiasm as long as its pointed in the right direction.

-Jax

Tang419
09-03-12, 08:06
The only plans I have for it, are to add an Eotech, a case of ammo, and maybe some metal mag's. I never had any experience with the Magpul mags before, but so far they have ran flawlessly. I put 400 rounds through it this weekend, and then gave it a nice cleaning.

7.62WildBill
09-03-12, 20:10
Nice rifle; should provide years of reliable service and looks good as well.

Nice Thermold mag, if it is an old one. They are not as reliable as GI or Magpul. But were built about an hour up the road in Wilson, so I think they are cool.

Tang419
09-04-12, 07:17
It is an older Thermold, I had it from a Bushy years back. I have a friend in Wilson, and I actually met my wife out in Williamston.

The Thermold feeds great, but it wont lock the BCG back after the last round anymore.

markm
09-04-12, 08:17
The baby Jesus cries at the direction Colt has gone. :(

Animal_Mother556
09-04-12, 08:38
I put 400 rounds through it this weekend, and then gave it a nice cleaning.

Hell, it ain't even dirty yet, man!

TehLlama
09-04-12, 13:40

You picked the right one - SOCOM barrels are boat anchors by comparison, and only worth considering if it's going to be used with a F/A lower. If anything, I'd start looking into finding a Colt 6720 to go with yours.

markm
09-04-12, 15:10
You picked the right one - SOCOM barrels are boat anchors by comparison, and only worth considering if it's going to be used with a F/A lower. If anything, I'd start looking into finding a Colt 6720 to go with yours.

I'd love to get one of those boat anchor uppers/barrels.

QuickStrike
09-04-12, 15:59
I hope you won't sell it again in a couple of months! :p

Very nice colt. I prefer colors that aren't black or pink/purple myself.

Needs some quality aluminum or magpul mags, lest you start blaming the gun when your current mags start acting up.

Safetyhit
09-04-12, 19:32
I'd love to get one of those boat anchor uppers/barrels.

A new description (in a growing field of such) as far as I know.

kenken
09-05-12, 08:28
I really like the color. I wish I would have known they offered that color when I bought my 6920 about 6 months ago. Nice looking piece you have there sir.

kenken

jasonhgross
09-05-12, 08:48
The only plans I have for it, are to add an Eotech, a case of ammo, and maybe some metal mag's. I never had any experience with the Magpul mags before, but so far they have ran flawlessly. I put 400 rounds through it this weekend, and then gave it a nice cleaning.

Your plan is excellent. Add a sling add a sling and flashlight, and you are good to go.

Airhasz
09-05-12, 09:14

I just bump fired 500 through my socom sunday in a couple hours. All of it mag dumps (30 rounders), does that qualify? OP...you also get the M4A1 roll mark, Factory installed Kac ras with 4 rail guards..but you will run into haters that dis the heavier barrel because they were to cheap or couldn't swing it. If You aren't blowing smoke and do pick up the socom you will enjoy owning and shooting it...either way con grads on the FDE! Now let me get back to heating up my boat anchor of a barrel, its currently over 3800 rounds...I've had it since April.

markm
09-05-12, 09:20
I just bump fired 500 through my socom sunday in a couple hours. All of it mag dumps (30 rounders), does that qualify?

Qualifies as a waste of ammo and a lifetime membership to AR15.com. :blink:

Split66
09-05-12, 09:42

Ha! now thats funny :)

Animal_Mother556
09-05-12, 09:55
...maybe you were a little harsh shipping me to tos so quickly...lol

Because you are a handloader?

jaxman7
09-05-12, 18:53

I don't agree with some of your views on AR's but you have more trigger time than me and dang sure make me laugh markm.

-Jax

Tang419
09-05-12, 22:54
3800 rounds.....yea I have a long way to go ! Im enjoying it, but I wish work would allow me more time to play with it lol

To the poster who mentioned the mags, it came with two Magpul PMAGS, no windows on them though. There are several Colt 30 round aluminum mags at my friends shop. might grab a couple for good measure.

Northerner
10-17-12, 09:54
i never heard of Colt offering anything like that but if they did i would think the coating would at least match on the upper & lower?

i do like the color on your lower the best.

wetidlerjr
10-17-12, 10:47

Hey!! Be nice! I don't bump fire anything and I DO have a lifetime membership to TOS. :laugh:

markm
10-17-12, 11:21
Tell those LaRue boot lickers to unlock my account so I can go back to stomping idiot guts out over there!

wetidlerjr
10-18-12, 02:58
Tell those LaRue boot lickers to unlock my account so I can go back to stomping idiot guts out over there!

Hell, I can't convince people on TOS to stop buying junk ARs let alone get you off the ban list. :blink:

sinlessorrow
10-18-12, 11:39
i never heard of Colt offering anything like that but if they did i would think the coating would at least match on the upper & lower?

i do like the color on your lower the best.

Its very hard to make colors match, even black coats will differ from batch to batch.

Now a DD RIS II would look great on that things

SteveS
10-18-12, 13:04
I bought my first AR a colt in the early 70s then another and sold them at a profit during the first Calif black rifle ban at a great profit then bought two more Colt Sporters and then sold them at the second Calif. black rifle ban at a great profit . Colts are great!!!