PDA

View Full Version : Local PD starting to issue M&P .45 mid-size

maximus83
09-01-12, 20:43
Talked to a local LEO in my town, and he said that in the last year or two the department has updated its issued pistols. Previously they had issued Berettas, then several years back they started allowing officers to use custom 1911's if they wanted (officers had to supply their own 1911).

Some officers took advantage of the 1911's, but as the one I was talking with said, there were some disadvantages. He personally bought a Springfield Professional, and loved shooting/training with it, but the main problems (as you might guess) were:

* Weight
* Maintenance cost/hassle (they didn't have a dept. armorer current on the 1911's, so the officers bore the cost of maintenance, and most did not get or could not afford a backup 1911 identical to their duty 1911)

In the last year or so, the dept started acquiring mid-size M&P .45's and these are actually provided for the officers if they want. Plus ammo is still provided, and an armorer is available to maintain the pistols. All pistols are provided with a Surefire light and the Apex DCAEK kit. Their ammo is a 185gr Speer Gold Dot. The officer I spoke with told me that while he still likes his 1911, the M&P .45 is nearly as accurate, a lot lighter and easier on the back, and less cost/hassle for him to maintain. Obviously it would have been a more level playing field if the department actually provided standard 1911's of the same type for all officers (plus a trained armorer to maintain them), but even so, the issues with weight, initial purchase cost, and ongoing maintenance costs would still be there.

No big surprises in any of this. I have 1911's and an M&P .45 mid-size myself, and while I still like shooting the 1911's, the M&P .45 definitely has some practical advantages for duty (or private CCW).

Redbeardsong
09-01-12, 22:21
Atlanta PD has been carrying M&Ps for a number of years, and I know of Sheriff's office that is trying to switch from Kimbers to the M&Ps (the Kimbers are all rusted on the frames where the Deputies' arms rest on them.)

The M&P series are very good guns.

DocGKR
09-03-12, 02:30
The M&P45's are indeed a good pistols and nearly as accurate as many custom 1911's I've shot.

Rosco Benson
09-03-12, 09:04
The appeal of a one-size-fits-all solution is high. One platform for armorers, one manual of arms for the trainers, one type of ammo to order and keep on hand, standard holsters and mag pouches. The M&P 45 is a pretty good choice if one is going down that road.

A large department local to me just went to Gen 4 Glock 21 pistols across the board. I think they'll find it challenging to get most females and many small-handed male officers up to speed on that platform.

Rosco

Nephrology
09-03-12, 09:20
The appeal of a one-size-fits-all solution is high. One platform for armorers, one manual of arms for the trainers, one type of ammo to order and keep on hand, standard holsters and mag pouches. The M&P 45 is a pretty good choice if one is going down that road.

A large department local to me just went to Gen 4 Glock 21 pistols across the board. I think they'll find it challenging to get most females and many small-handed male officers up to speed on that platform.

Rosco

I have fairly small hands for a man, and I shot a Gen 3 G21 no problem. The gen 4 will probably have an advantage as they can switch to the smaller backstrap.

ST911
09-03-12, 19:05
I have fairly small hands for a man, and I shot a Gen 3 G21 no problem. The gen 4 will probably have an advantage as they can switch to the smaller backstrap.

What type of shooting? Many will find the larger handguns agreeable to the hand in dry and simple shooting exercises, but far less so when they really need to run the gun. I.e. gunfighting, vs shooting. Then, there's the question of whether or not the shooter is running the gun to its full potential.

Magic_Salad0892
09-03-12, 19:39
It's cool that they're being issued with Apex DCAEK.

KiloSierra
09-03-12, 20:24

I have fairly small hands for a man and I can just get the tip of my finger on the trigger of the gen 4 G21's my department just bought if my trigger finger is totally straight and it has the small backstrap and all the slack is taken out of the trigger before I put my finger on it. Needless to say I told them to keep the one they tried to issue to me.

Sensei
09-03-12, 20:59
It's cool that they're being issued with Apex DCAEK.

I noticed that as well, and I started to become impressed with the agency's forward thinking. Then, I saw they were issuing Speer 185 grain GDHP as their ammo and I had a face-palm moment. :suicide:

masakari
09-09-12, 12:27
What duty holster fits the M&P45 Midsize with surefire or streamlight lights?
I am very interested in this because i am in the process of getting my duty gun, which will likely be an M&P45 mid, and want to carry it with a light attatched.
Thanks for the info.

m4brian
09-09-12, 14:38
I assume that "mid-size" means the 10+1 rounder?

denn1911
09-09-12, 14:59

Yes, like the full-size model, it is a 10+1 capacity. The mid-size model features a 4" barrel.

masakari
09-09-12, 14:59

The midsize has the full length grip, with 4" barrel
Does anyone know if the midsize with light will fit in a duty holster designed for a fullsize with light? Are there any duty holsters designed for a midsize with light specifically?

denn1911
09-09-12, 15:03
[QUOTE=maximus83;1384436]Their ammo is a 185gr Speer Gold Dot.QUOTE]

Did your friend mention what they did for testing before selecting 185 grain?

maximus83
09-09-12, 21:31
[QUOTE=maximus83;1384436]Their ammo is a 185gr Speer Gold Dot.QUOTE]

Did your friend mention what they did for testing before selecting 185 grain?

He did not say how they selected their duty load, he was mainly talking about why they transitioned to M&P .45's.

maximus83
09-09-12, 21:33
Does anyone know if the midsize with light will fit in a duty holster designed for a fullsize with light? Are there any duty holsters designed for a midsize with light specifically?

Light compatible holster for an M&P .45 mid-size. Wouldn't surprise me if there are others. Don't know what's out there for duty holster, this is a good CCW option.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/phantom-modular-holsters/phantom-light-compatible-holster/phantom-light-compatible-holster-smith-wesson

DocGKR
09-10-12, 14:17
Mid-size fits fine in duty holsters for the full-size--much like G19's fit into G17 duty holsters...

denn1911
09-10-12, 22:31

I run the full-size M&P45 with x300 attached both on-duty and off-duty. I use a full-size Safariland ALS with x300 attached holster, and it fits my mid-size 45 with x300 perfectly. I've been told that as of a few months ago, Safariland has an ALS SKU# for the mid-size M&P45 w/ light attached holster.