PDA

View Full Version : IOR Valdala 1.5-8x26

jwfuhrman
09-01-12, 23:06
Wanting to get a new scope for the 3gun rifle and I'm debating on a couple different ones with the IOR 1.5-8x26 leading the pack. I like the reticle, I like the 8x on the high side, 1.5 isnt an issue on the low end as inside 20ft with both eyes open shooting its crosshairs/center dot on brown pull the trigger.

Just want to know what you guys think.

Here is my scope list:

IOR 1.5-8x26
Vortex 1-6 JM (not a HUGE fan of the reticle but I can make due)
Leupold VX-6 Multigun (really not a fan of the reticle).

These scopes vary in price from 900-1400, which is my price range. the IOR can be had some places for 1250-1300

FlyingHunter
09-02-12, 06:58
I'm in the same boat...I am considering the Vortex and the Leupold because of their reputation for standing behind their products with strong CS. The IOR looks interesting but my lack of understanding of their customer service ( just have not heard anything good or bad) is steering me to the others. While I have not had the opportunity to look "down the glass" on any of these scopes, I'm leaning to the Leupold, as it's lighter, less expensive, and my history of good success with Leupold. I'm interested in what others have to say...and good luck with your decision.

jwfuhrman
09-02-12, 21:32
yea, that's why I was asking about it cause I haven't heard anything on them

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-03-12, 07:58
I'm right with you on the ior I have one now it's awesome better than my mk4 m5. I have looked at the scope your thinking about and am planing to get one in the future.

jwfuhrman
09-03-12, 21:17
sweet, yea I'm just really torn between the Vortex 1-6 JM as Vortex has some awesome glass, but the reticle isn't my thing and the IOR 1.5-8 cause I like the reticle and I like 8x on the top end just don't know anything about them

Singlestack Wonder
09-04-12, 20:09
Jon:

The IOR's are built like a tank. The new 1.5-8's offer true daylight bright illumination. For me the thick donut doesn't work. If they thinned the donut down and illuminated it as well, then I'd buy one. The new 1.5-8's offers both a version with 1/4MOA adjustments as well as a model with .308 elevation and .1mrad windage (odd as it is). The reticles in both models are BDC for 62 grain 5.56.

Shot several IOR's on friend's rifles. Good glass and no issues. Here's a link to their website:
http://www.valdada.com/

Liberty Optics is a stocking distributor and offers pricing under MSRP (not shown on website. Call and talk to Scott). Here's a link to Liberty Optics:
http://www.libertyoptics.com/

Good luck with your decision!

jwfuhrman
09-04-12, 20:13
Which of the new models would be better? The 308 elevation/.1 MRAD windage or the 1/4 MOA?

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-04-12, 20:22
Which of the new models would be better? The 308 elevation/.1 MRAD windage or the 1/4 MOA?

In my opinion mils but that's what I know and it seams to me to be more precise. Have you considered the 1-6 offering from Bushnell the HDMR?

jwfuhrman
09-04-12, 22:16
Yes I have, the Bushnell name just kinda puts me off is all.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-05-12, 06:23
Yes I have, the Bushnell name just kinda puts me off is all.

I'm with you on that but the fact that i see them all over in the hands of guys who are hard on equipment tells me it can take it.

jwfuhrman
09-05-12, 07:59
I've been thinking the same thing, that maybe they got their shit together.

It'll be end of the year before I can afford to do anything so I've got a minute to look at everything. The IOR 1.5-8x26 still leads the pack but the Leupold 1-6 VX6 Multigun is intriguing as well.

If Leupold didn't over price everything, the Mark 6 1-6 would be awesome....

Singlestack Wonder
09-05-12, 08:50

Although I prefer mil/mil adjustments, in this case I would get the moa/moa version so that both knobs are calibrated the same. IOR sometimes offers strange combinations and "almost feature complete" scopes. They got it right with the 1.5-8 .25moa version.

jwfuhrman
09-05-12, 09:06
Although I prefer mil/mil adjustments, in this case I would get the moa/moa version so that both knobs are calibrated the same. IOR sometimes offers strange combinations and "almost feature complete" scopes. They got it right with the 1.5-8 .25moa version.

Roger that.

Alaskapopo
09-06-12, 01:32
I would much rather have 1 on the bottom end than 8 on the top. I would get the Vortex 1-6 for three gun.
Pat

jwfuhrman
09-06-12, 07:34
your probably right, cause lord knows I suck the enough the way it is.

Only thing keeping me from the Vortex is the damn JM reticle.... now if they had their MRad or MOA reticle in the 1-6, it would be no questions asked on what I'd get

FlyingHunter
09-06-12, 08:08
Doing a little research, I think I'll pass on the IOR, based solely on weight, It's a brick. I'm down to Vortex vs Leupold 1x6...

Singlestack Wonder
09-06-12, 08:08
If you are like most, you will never notice the extra .5 magnification at the low end. Just like when first using a red dot if you are focusing on the target, you just see the reticle overlaid on it. The extra .5 also comes into play for close tight shots.

YMMV

Singlestack Wonder
09-06-12, 10:21
Doing a little research, I think I'll pass on the IOR, based solely on weight, It's a brick. I'm down to Vortex vs Leupold 1x6...

Between Vortex and IOR, no significant weight difference:

IOR 1.5-8 22oz.
Vortex 1-6 25.2oz.

The new Leupold 1-6 is a much lighter at 17oz.

FlyingHunter
09-06-12, 11:17
Right you are SingleStack. The Leupold is also less expensive.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-06-12, 11:24
If Leupold didn't over price everything, the Mark 6 1-6 would be awesome....

Have you explored promotive.com or considered having a mil or le friend get it for you with there discount?

Jon

jwfuhrman
09-06-12, 12:08
If I actually worked for a EMS service I'd join that site, but sadly I can't find a job in the career field....

evileyeswatchin
09-06-12, 13:43
I know it doesn't help now but new reticles are in the works for the Vortex 1-6, so I'm patiently waiting myself.

Alaskapopo
09-06-12, 21:51
If you are like most, you will never notice the extra .5 magnification at the low end. Just like when first using a red dot if you are focusing on the target, you just see the reticle overlaid on it. The extra .5 also comes into play for close tight shots.

YMMV

I disagree most do notice it. That is why the great majority of shooters in three gun prefer 1x on the bottom end vs 1.5. I have ran 1.5-5 Leupolds and 1.25-4 Accupoints and its not as fast up close. I do shoot with both eyes open but its still not as fast. IOR makes a good product but they would have done better with a 1-6 vs a 1.5-8.
Pat

Singlestack Wonder
09-07-12, 16:10
I disagree most do notice it. That is why the great majority of shooters in three gun prefer 1x on the bottom end vs 1.5. I have ran 1.5-5 Leupolds and 1.25-4 Accupoints and its not as fast up close. I do shoot with both eyes open but its still not as fast. IOR makes a good product but they would have done better with a 1-6 vs a 1.5-8.
Pat

I can only speak for myself when I say I have no issues using a 1x or 1.5x. Used both when I was still playing ipsc as well as today whether in tactical classes or shooting our weekly tactical matches.

Of course everyone's eye and brain connectivity is wired different. :)

Alaskapopo
09-07-12, 16:15
I can only speak for myself when I say I have no issues using a 1x or 1.5x. Used both when I was still playing ipsc as well as today whether in tactical classes or shooting our weekly tactical matches.

Of course everyone's eye and brain connectivity is wired different. :)

Thats true everyone is different. It just seems most prefer 1x on the bottom. But use what works best for you. IOR does make good scopes so it won't be a bad choice.
Pat

Singlestack Wonder
09-07-12, 17:55
Thats true everyone is different. It just seems most prefer 1x on the bottom. But use what works best for you. IOR does make good scopes so it won't be a bad choice.
Pat

IOR seems to be listening these days and upgrading their line accordingly. Although my SPR wears a NF 2.5-10, when my current RECCE build is finished, the new IOR 1.5-8 may have a place on it.