PDA

View Full Version : Mil spec uppers- BCM vs LMT vs colt vs DD vs larue vs noveske

Deltaspeed93
09-02-12, 12:17
Which mil spec riffles do you guys prefere? They say colt is the standard by which all others should be met... Of course I realize there are far more expensive /better uppers/ completes.

Just want to know what you guys like and why...

I have an LE 6920 but am thinking about a DD or Larue or LMT.

KrampusArms
09-02-12, 12:31
You already have the cream of the crop Colt. Any additional rifle you purchase will just be a back up, or fulfill a different purpose.

I like RRA & BCM.

TacticalSledgehammer
09-02-12, 13:05
Oh boy this is gonna get interesting. I like'em all.

Deltaspeed93
09-02-12, 13:11
I would be lying if I said I had any experience with any really... My colt is the first AR type rifle I have ever owned before that it was mini 14s SKS AK 47 and Sig 55x type rifles so all opinions are welcome!!

polymorpheous
09-02-12, 13:34
Have you shot the Colt yet? Did it fail you?
Why do you think it is obsolete compared to the other companies mentioned?
What is your intended purpose for the rifle?
Do you understand that companies like LaRue and Noveske are more or less boutique, where as Colt and BCM are more hard use tools?
(Not to say that Noveske or LaRue rifles won't hold up.)

C4IGrant
09-02-12, 13:38
If you have a 6920, you have a fantastic gun.

If you want to try something different, go with a middy.

C4

Iraqgunz
09-02-12, 13:41
Godzilla vs. Giant Robot vs. Rodan vs. Mothra vs. King Kong. Who is the best and who can beat who?

Roklok
09-02-12, 14:07
Colt 6920s are a lot easier to find than the rest of them, but I went with BCM because I wanted a mid length. Had to buy the BCM lower from Grant at G&R Tactical and the upper directly from BCM. I have an LMT Carbine, but my next will be a Colt 6920, because everyone has to have at least one Colt..

fixit69
09-02-12, 14:14
I build my uppers. I bought 5 blemished uppers from BCM. The three I have built have been great.

All top tier uppers will be fine, if what you are talking about is buying an entire upper. The 6920 colt you have is the mil spec gold standard. Just write the top tier dealers on a piece of paper, close your eyes, and point at one.

VIP3R 237
09-02-12, 14:25
Which mil spec riffles do you guys prefere? They say colt is the standard by which all others should be met... there is a reason behind this Of course I realize there are far more expensive yes expensive /better uppers subjective / completes.

I own a LMT and a Colt, and have owned a DD in the past. Honestly i couldnt tell you the difference when putting rounds down range.

Or are you just falling victim to 'The grass is always greener on the other side?' i think we are all subject to this.

uncle money bags
09-02-12, 14:47
If you have a 6920, you have a fantastic gun.

If you want to try something different, go with a middy.

C4

Exactly this ! I have owned all of the weapons you mentioned at one time or another excepting the Daniel Defense, and while there are minor differences between them, they all shot pretty much the same. I Bought a BCM 14.5 mid length recently and it has become my goto gun.

jstone
09-02-12, 16:30
I own 3 of the 6 and as others have stated larue and noveske are boutique rifles or uppers. I have not been able to shot the noveske the rest of the parts for the lower will be in on the fourth.

You cannot go wrong with any of them. Figure out its intended purpose then choose accordingly. Out of the rifles i own i would only change the MRP. It is a.great system Im just not using it to its full potential. I had the intentions of getting other barrels, but i have ended up with different rifles.

3 AE
09-02-12, 17:18
My goodness! Another "What should I buy and why?"thread. Why did you buy the 6920 to begin with? Did it fulfill a rational and/or logical need for a fighting rifle. Gain experience with it and you'll develop the skills and acquire the information to make your own informed choice for your next AR. Should you choose to do so.

USMC_Anglico
09-02-12, 17:34
Have owned/used Colt, DD, BCM & Noveske. All are great and filled their roles well. Would not lose any sleep trying to figure out which is "better".

Shabazz
09-02-12, 17:40
What should you buy?

You should buy ammo, range time, and a ticket to a carbine course.

Uncas47
09-02-12, 18:00
What should you buy?

You should buy ammo, range time, and a ticket to a carbine course.

QFT +1

justin_247
09-02-12, 18:39
1. Shoot the hell out of the Colt. Buy lots of ammo and attend a training course. Figure out how best to configure it for YOUR purposes. While you're at it, be sure to join the NRA.

2. Figure out what direction you want to take your newly acquired experience and then purchase a rifle from one of the mentioned vendors that helps you meet your objectives. Just want to try something different? Get a middy upper from BCM or DD. Want to do some precision shooting? Get an SS upper from Noveske, LaRue or BCM. Want to try tons of different barrel and ammo configurations? Get an MRP from LMT. Want to make yourself a little more versatile at shorter ranges? Get an SBR from Colt, DD, or BCM.

But whatever you do, don't go making decisions about what your next rifle is going to be based upon the democratic semi-consensus you find on the internet.

Deltaspeed93
09-02-12, 18:54
I will be honest guys... The only reason I picked the 6920 up is because the guy selling it was getting out of the firearms business. He said I have 2 colts and I bought it for 800.00 bucks out the door. I am just becoming familiar with the AR platform I may have shot 200 rounds through it and I do like it. But sometimes I will buy a rifle and sell it just because I want to try something else until I get a feel I have it right. Just like there are certain guns that I won't get rid of because I have found what works.
I will not get rid of my HK usp compact .45, glock 26, sig 522, sig 551a1 sbr
My point is maybe there is a better veriant thus the reason for your thoughts.. So sorry if you have "heard this before" but I like opinions it helps me out when someone says watch out for this or try that...

Thanks guys

Split66
09-02-12, 18:57
You've got it right. Shoot it! Go on now.......:D

Tzook
09-02-12, 19:29
In terms of "what is better" I don't think there is going to be much of a discernible difference between your colt, and anything else mentioned. However, if I had to rank all of them, I would put Colt, DD, BCM, and LMT in one class and Noveske, Larue and KAC in a class slightly above them. Shoot what you've got, it should work great for you.

Gun
09-02-12, 19:37
My point is maybe there is a better veriant thus the reason for your thoughts..

How is a Colt a variant?!!?

Littlelebowski
09-02-12, 19:42
Which mil spec riffles do you guys prefere? They say colt is the standard by which all others should be met... Of course I realize there are far more expensive /better uppers/ completes.

"Yes."

seb5
09-02-12, 22:39
If you buy a standard weight barreled, carbine gassed, carbine from Colt, LMT, BCM, or DD every single part will be compatible with the other three. I have owned all of them over the years and there really isn't much difference. I have my personal favorite but that's just me and certainly might be different than others here. By reading a bit and shooting a lot you'll figure out if you "prefer" one over the others. Add to that that we're gun guys and you'll want to try them all, and that's OK as well, I did.

arbninftry
09-02-12, 22:51
I believe there is a really good chart RobS put out a while back. That should really answer a lot of questions.

Link:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82739&highlight=CHart

Deltaspeed93
09-02-12, 23:04
How is a Colt a variant?!!?

Isn't there a colt sporter version and then the colts defense mforgeries?

I guess thats what I mean by variant... And I don't claim to know shit. That's why I'm asking. Again NEW to M4 AR game.

swinokur
09-03-12, 05:17
Colt stopped making the Sporter earlier this year IIRC. The LE model is what is available. The roll mark says Colt M4 Carbine and the serial begins with LE. Just got mine in July.

pointblank4445
09-04-12, 06:13
10-22

Reagans Rascals
09-04-12, 06:17
Godzilla vs. Giant Robot vs. Rodan vs. Mothra vs. King Kong. Who is the best and who can beat who?

A hurricane vs. Ditka.... but the hurricane is named Hurricane Ditka..

Tang419
09-04-12, 07:28
Colt stopped making the Sporter earlier this year IIRC. The LE model is what is available. The roll mark says Colt M4 Carbine and the serial begins with LE. Just got mine in July.

Same here with mine.

Moltke
09-04-12, 07:40
Buy ammo and shoot more.

swinokur
09-04-12, 07:45
Is Daniel Defense not offering the new DDM4 type rails for sale at all separately, or is this a temporary thing?

According to GearScout (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/06/12/daniel-defenses-new-ddm4-rail/)...

"the DDM4 Rail will only be offered as part of a complete rifle or upper receiver group and will not be available for individual sale."

Anyone know if this will be the case for the long haul?

Daniel Defense sells them on their web site.

https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems.html?cat=38

polymorpheous
09-04-12, 07:49
Daniel Defense sells them on their web site.

https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems.html?cat=38

That's not the rail he was speaking about.

swinokur
09-04-12, 07:52
which rail is he refereeing to?

polymorpheous
09-04-12, 08:07
which rail is he refereeing to?

The new DD rifles come with a newly designed DDM4 rail, FSB, and flash hider.

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v3.html

swinokur
09-04-12, 08:11
Ok I see. got it.

markm
09-04-12, 08:16

You can't lump LMT in the "mil spec" catagory on any day...

And Cuckoo LaRue probably comes with some gay Billet shit.. so he's out too.

JSantoro
09-04-12, 08:21
We've got a couple of entire AR-specific subforums full of info in the stickied threads and regular discussion threads discoverable using the Search features that the usual sort of "versus" threads are tiresome.

Now this WWE Royal Rumble nonsense....

This is WAY too general. Seek out info IOT narrow your field of inquiry. If you need help figuring out how to use the Search features, ask away.