PDA

View Full Version : I made this thing, whatever it is

krypto
09-02-12, 21:10
maybe this is an old problem (I imagine it is) but as a first time M4 owner, it's been driving me crazy. My finger keeps rubbing on the edges of the lower, right behind the trigger guard, so I made this little piece. I took some Marine JB Weld type stuff (comes in a stick), sprayed the lower with a WD-40 type spray lube, then stuffed the stuff in the hole, molded it best I could, then let it sit for about 30 minutes. I then removed it and let it air dry for a while longer. It fits really snug and takes a little effort to remove, and feels great. I have to color it black somehow, paint I guess, and I may sand it a little before I do to get a more refined look. I guess the only reason I'm sharing is in case some of you have the same problem and have been thinking about an easy fix.

saddlerocker
09-02-12, 21:14
There is a small part called "The Gapper" that has been around for a long time.

Also many people like myself just swap out to a Magpul trigger guard

krypto
09-02-12, 21:21
There is a small part called "The Gapper" that has been around for a long time.

Also many people like myself just swap out to a Magpul trigger guard

I figured this was old news

DJ_Skinny
09-03-12, 01:28
Several AR grips also come with a piece that covers this area-- see BCM, TangoDown, etc.

Nice ingenuity though! F*** it. If it works, use it.

Moonlight Again
09-03-12, 10:00
Good for you, Krypto. You saw a problem, and fixed it. Just because there are commercial fixes on the market, that doesn't mean anything about what you did.

File under "American ingenuity, shade tree division."

tuck
09-03-12, 10:16
Good on you for thinking outside the box. I had the same issue on my old rifle to the point of it causing blisters. I improvised, and stuck a foam earplug into the gap.

Dave L.
09-03-12, 11:55
The Gapper became obsolete the day Magpul reinvented the trigger guard.

krypto
09-03-12, 12:26
Good grief...I'm way behind the times hu?

Quiet-Matt
09-03-12, 13:56
The Gapper became obsolete the day Magpul reinvented the trigger guard.

Not for me. I still prefer a standard trigger guard + gapper to any other aftermarket solution I've tried so far.

jaxman7
09-03-12, 14:37
It also may depend on what lower you have whether you need the gapper or not.

I've always used KAC trigger guards no matter what lower and cannot remember ever having to fill in that space with anything. My last lower I bought was a Vltor and the ears on the lower seem to extend slightly further down and began to rub against my finger. No big deal. Just got an old automotive vacuum cap and stuffed it in there. Problem solved.

Just tolerance differences between manufacturers.

-Jax

Lost River
09-04-12, 08:16
I just stick a foam ear plug in the hole.

markm
09-04-12, 08:20
I just stick a foam ear plug in the hole.

I've done that too.

Although none of these are necessary on lowers where they put the FORKING hole where it's supposed to be.

Alternatively... the Gunfighter Grip has a "duck bill" option that works better than any of the other fixes.