PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Arms RUC

YFZsandrider
09-03-12, 17:44
Just about to make the final payment on my Rainier RUC, but before they start building it, I've got a few options I was considering...

I've had and shot ARs before, but my experience with them is still somewhat limited. And though I will probably build another in the future, this will be my primary go-to defense rifle.

I've decided to go with a 14.5" version, with a pinned BattleComp. I really like the lightweight manueverability of the pencil barrel RUC that I have handled in-store... but I'm wondering if I might regret not getting a standard profile barrel down the road?

I don't plan for this to be a long range gun, by any means, nor do I forsee shooting sustained groups of rapid fire. I want the gun to be a solid, but lightweight and packable gun, but I'm wondering what I give up in range and capability of the firearm by going with the lighweight barrel?

Thanks in advance for the input and ideas!;)

RyanB
09-03-12, 18:05
You give up very little. Not enough to worry about if you'll be using unmagnified sights. You gain handling. Good trade.

BufordTJustice
09-03-12, 18:12
Just about to make the final payment on my Rainier RUC, but before they start building it, I've got a few options I was considering...

I've had and shot ARs before, but my experience with them is still somewhat limited. And though I will probably build another in the future, this will be my primary go-to defense rifle.

I've decided to go with a 14.5" version, with a pinned BattleComp. I really like the lightweight manueverability of the pencil barrel RUC that I have handled in-store... but I'm wondering if I might regret not getting a standard profile barrel down the road?

I don't plan for this to be a long range gun, by any means, nor do I forsee shooting sustained groups of rapid fire. I want the gun to be a solid, but lightweight and packable gun, but I'm wondering what I give up in range and capability of the firearm by going with the lighweight barrel?

Thanks in advance for the input and ideas!;)

I think you've made an outstanding choice and that the gun fits the roll you've described to a "T".

I also believe the barrel is CHF.

I am a huge fan of the Rainer Arms XTC comp....it's more blasty than a BC, but it's also a 1/3rd the price and hides flash better. I have several buddies who use the XTC and I have shot with it....maybe you could try one of those out as well? The BC is a flame thrower at night with M85 or M193.....it's worse than the A2 by a fair margin w/ regard to flash...though it is an outstanding comp (which is what it is designed to do).

I think the 14.5" middy w/ perm'd device is potentially risky since you can't swap muzzle devices without substantial cost (and shop work)....but I have found that 14.5" middies tend to shoot nearly as smooth as rifle-gas guns. A little more so than 16" middies. Either would be superior to carbine gas in terms of smoothness of the recoil stroke.

A lightweight barrel doesn't give up range so much as it gives up rate of fire. My friend's DD CHF lightweight 16" middy shoots great out to 300 with an aimpoint.....but the groups start to open up when after he's shot a 20rd magazine in a short period of time. Nothing horrible...but that's the nature of a lightweight barrel. I'll tell you that he is GLAD to make the tradeoff because his rifle is damn handy to carry and transition between targets.

Also a standard profile barrel ("Government profile") is probably going to be the same diameter under the handguard as your current selection. Std barrels are only "fat" in front of the FSB. You're not giving up much by going LW.

Have you shot this setup that you've described? I recommend doing so if you haven't. Also, try to shoot it with the same barrel length and muzzle device that you have selected....barrel length has a direct effect on how a comp directs blast to the shooter.

The FSC556 I use on my BCM 14.5" middy is acceptable on my gun...is very acceptable on a 16" gun...and it sounds about like a damn A2 on a 20" gun. But, put just about any comp on a 10.5" and you'll need double ear-pro. The only way to know is to try out the exact setup you seek and see how you perceive the muzzle blast.

YFZsandrider
09-03-12, 18:36
Buford...

Thanks for the reply, I have not shot with any serious comps before, only a Smith vortex and an A2. I do want a compensator rather than a flash hider this time around, and since I'm pretty well married to it, I'll go with one that gets high marks in that area, and be content with it. Certainly I'm not as picky as some of you that have had experience with a wide variety of barrel and muzzle device combos. I'm sure that if it holds true to concensus, It'll be fine for my needs.

For the barrel option, as far as I know, Rainier uses DD cold hammer forged barrels on the RUC, and I believe the lightweight barrel, is a lightweight profile all the way back... though I could be wrong.

When you talk about muzzle blast, you're referring to blast directed to the sides, and possibly at fellow shooters, right? As I said, having never shot with a comp like this, I wasn't sure if you were implying that theres some annoying muzzle blast that could be felt by the shooter.

BufordTJustice
09-03-12, 18:54
Buford...

Thanks for the reply, I have not shot with any serious comps before, only a Smith vortex and an A2. I do want a compensator rather than a flash hider this time around, and since I'm pretty well married to it, I'll go with one that gets high marks in that area, and be content with it. Certainly I'm not as picky as some of you that have had experience with a wide variety of barrel and muzzle device combos. I'm sure that if it holds true to concensus, It'll be fine for my needs.

For the barrel option, as far as I know, Rainier uses DD cold hammer forged barrels on the RUC, and I believe the lightweight barrel, is a lightweight profile all the way back... though I could be wrong.

When you talk about muzzle blast, you're referring to blast directed to the sides, and possibly at fellow shooters, right? As I said, having never shot with a comp like this, I wasn't sure if you were implying that theres some annoying muzzle blast that could be felt by the shooter.

If you have never shot with a comp before, I highly recommend you do so. I don't mind the blast (it's about like a 10.5" w/ an A2)....but all comps have blast. You may find yourself looking at the RA FH or a Blackout/Vortex if you don't like it. Comps def roll differently than FH's.

Also, the BC allows more straight back recoil than say a KAC triple tap, RA XTC, FSC556, SureFire 556MBK, etc.

None are bad choices, but they are substantively different with regard to the shooter experience. I cannot recommend highly enough trying all these comps before you decide. That way you're not gonna have any buyer's remorse. The only cost effective way to switch comps is basically to trade uppers with somebody....so you're basically married to whatever comp you choose on a 14.5" middy. It helps to know what you're getting into.

And, yes, from what I have read on RA's blog, they use DD CHF barrels.

Lastly, there is always some blast directed back at the shooter. Especially if you are shooting indoors or near a barrier/obstacle at an outdoor range. It's unavoidable.

seb5
09-03-12, 20:17
Your choice is very similar to my choices. I very much prefer a pencil barrel in anything but a precision application. A friend of mine bought one of these on my recommendation and carries it daily at work. When we train together I do notice that his Rainier XTC is very loud compared to my BattleComps. I think that it is slightly better at flash suppression but not really any drastic improvement. I don't think a brake is a necessity but on the lightweights it doesn't hurt anything. After my friend bought his around the first of the year it hasn't ever malfunctioned. He's probably at around 2000 rounds by now. After he got it I told him that he got a lot of gun for the money. Even with the price increases I still believe they are a lot of gun for the money.

BufordTJustice
09-03-12, 21:17
Your choice is very similar to my choices. I very much prefer a pencil barrel in anything but a precision application. A friend of mine bought one of these on my recommendation and carries it daily at work. When we train together I do notice that his Rainier XTC is very loud compared to my BattleComps. I think that it is slightly better at flash suppression but not really any drastic improvement. I don't think a brake is a necessity but on the lightweights it doesn't hurt anything. After my friend bought his around the first of the year it hasn't ever malfunctioned. He's probably at around 2000 rounds by now. After he got it I told him that he got a lot of gun for the money. Even with the price increases I still believe they are a lot of gun for the money.

I find that comps/brakes are defined by to divergent qualities: sound volume and blast pressure.

I have shot comps that are loud, but have little additional pressure directed toward the shooter. There are some that are not loud and do not direct much perceived additional pressure to the shooter. Then there are the ones that may not be loud, but they do 'rattle your teeth'.

There are also the physiological differences in our bodies. The exact same comp may be very distasteful to one shooter, and merely mildly unpleasant to another. There is no rule of thumb for how you will react until you experience it.

Comps don't bother me much (any of them....even the y-comp). BUT I use ear plugs that are sunk appropriately deeply into my ear canals. If I'm indoors, I'll double-up. But that's me.

YFZsandrider
09-03-12, 23:41
I find that comps/brakes are defined by to divergent qualities: sound volume and blast pressure.

I have shot comps that are loud, but have little additional pressure directed toward the shooter. There are some that are not loud and do not direct much perceived additional pressure to the shooter. Then there are the ones that may not be loud, but they do 'rattle your teeth'.

There are also the physiological differences in our bodies. The exact same comp may be very distasteful to one shooter, and merely mildly unpleasant to another. There is no rule of thumb for how you will react until you experience it.

Comps don't bother me much (any of them....even the y-comp). BUT I use ear plugs that are sunk appropriately deeply into my ear canals. If I'm indoors, I'll double-up. But that's me.

so how would you classif the BC comp?

BufordTJustice
09-04-12, 03:51
so how would you classif the BC comp?

It's the best at being moderately loud with as little concussion/blast as possible. This also means that it allows the sharpest recoil stroke to the rear....meaning it is basically a pure comp (controls muzzle rise) and NOT a brake, which moderates rearward recoil.

It certainly delivers on the promises of its designers.

I have found that the FSC series is more blasty than the BC series, but it also noticeably reduces rearward recoil in addition to controlling muzzle rise on-par with the BC. It has LESS flash than my wife's A2 out of the same (14.5") barrel length with all ammo we've tested (Fed M193, M855, Tula 55gr, Remmy 55gr FMC, WPA 55gr FMJ, Fed Mk318, Hornady 75gr TAP red box, Fed XM556FBIT3 62gr TBBC, Federal Fusion 62gr, Gold Dot 64gr, etc.).

It's not as good as a true flash hider, but it's the best comp/brake I've seen as far as flash...both as it appears to the shooter and to the one being shot (checked with a remote camera and a mirror).

The BC, as with nearly all other comps, is very visible at night. Not nearly enough to have a serious effect on your night vision in my experience...but you can see the orb of light at the muzzle (comes out in a ring pattern from the ports). The FSC sometimes allows a small tickle of a flame and some dim sparks. This may or may not be a consideration for you.

Like I said, you shooting them is the only way to know for sure. You MAY fall in love with the BC....or a Blackout....there's only one way to know.

BufordTJustice
09-04-12, 05:45
I'm not a fan of the Spikes Dynacomp. I'll go into that in a little bit...but this video shows the sharp rearward impules that the BC series has that the spike's comp doesn't display. My FSC556 feels like a .22lr to the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSPOHvoVyiA&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSPOHvoVyiA&feature=related)

I am local to Spikes and am an LEO. Last time I was at their shop, I learned that a few batches of the Dynacomp went out that showed a particularly poor resistance to blast baffle erosion. Some even had catastrophic failures (their words) as the metal grew soft under fast semi-auto fire; the comp apparently sagged in the middle and the blast baffle at the front sagged...allowing a baffle strike. The muzzle device was blown off the barrel, shearing the barrel threads. Spikes replaced that barrel for free (its was a spikes gun and they gave the guy a free upgrade to one of their CHF barrels and a free blackout FH), but last I heard in January....the Dynacomp was possibly going to be discontinued.

They certainly were open about stating NO FA FIRE EVER.

Anyways, the video is illustrative of my point (I've shot both the PWS FSC556 and the BC1.5 back-to-back, repeatedly)...but there's no replacement for shooting the setup yourself.

YFZsandrider
09-04-12, 11:04
Very good infromation, thank you much! I believe I'll stay with my choice of the Battle Comp, and I'll put up some pics, once I have the rifle. Thanks again for all the help!

Stickman
09-04-12, 12:28
My RUC variant. I would recommend going with a very light weight flashlight, something like the Inforce WML would be ideal. It will help keep that super light, balanced feel to the carbine.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/AERO2178-Edit-1200-Stick.jpg

Koshinn
09-04-12, 13:06
My RUC variant. I would recommend going with a very light weight flashlight, something like the Inforce WML would be ideal. It will help keep that super light, balanced feel to the carbine.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/AERO2178-Edit-1200-Stick.jpg

I've noticed that you seem to have the Magpul k grip on most of your weapons now, do you like it more than the regular moe grip and the new bcm grips?

YFZsandrider
09-04-12, 17:41
I can upgrade to the Geiselle SSA trigger for $100. Is it worth it over the G2S trigger that the RUC comes with?

royal
09-04-12, 17:48
I can upgrade to the Geiselle SSA trigger for $100. Is it worth it over the G2S trigger that the RUC comes with?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100831

See Tridents comment.

BufordTJustice
09-04-12, 17:50

HELL. YES.

Koshinn
09-04-12, 18:13

If I recall correctly, the G2S (originally named the S2S) was pulled off the market by Geiselle because it was killing the sales of all the other triggers... it's 95% as good for like 60% of the cost.

They now only sell them as part of rifle builds. In my opinion, get the G2S.

titanse05
09-04-12, 19:10
I agree with what the others have said and keep the G2S. That being said, I have an SSA in my 14.5 RUC and it's the best trigger available for the AR platform IMHO. I got the SSA trigger as a free upgrade for being one of the first 100 customers.

Stickman
09-04-12, 20:22
I've noticed that you seem to have the Magpul k grip on most of your weapons now, do you like it more than the regular moe grip and the new bcm grips?

Nope, the vast majority of my weapons do not have K grips.

Koshinn
09-05-12, 09:16
Nope, the vast majority of my weapons do not have K grips.

Oh hm, maybe just your recent photos?

pentosinjunkie
09-05-12, 12:21
YFZ, I've had that exact RUC config for about six months now. You'll love it. Plenty of SWAT operators running BCs. The DD lightweight profile barrel is plenty accurate; I really don't think you're gaining much with the GI spec bbl. I believe the barrel profiles underneath the rail are identical. The GI profile may have more worth for those planning on running a can (barrel whip?)

I ordered mine before the Geissele promo ran dry, love the G2S trigger...wish it were available on the open market...

Plus, the rifle just looks that much sexier (which we know is the most critical variable in measuring ARs) with the muzzle device tucked close to the rail on the 14.5...and the "limitations" of the pinned BC, which won't really be an issue in a civilian context, give you an excuse to build a sneaky Rainier Ultramatch "DMR" upper down the road, with a 51T or Smith Vortex, and eventually throw it on your second Rainier lower.... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

YFZsandrider
09-07-12, 20:34
I just picked it up today, and man is it sweet feeling! So light!

The trigger feels great, makes me glad I didnt spend the extra cash for the SSA. Im gonna try to get out in the Morning tomorrow and put half a case through it. Rainier really did an awesome job, fit and finish is excellent!

pentosinjunkie
09-07-12, 21:20
Glad my advice panned out for you...it's easy to see why Geissele pulled the G2S/OEM trigger from the open market, with it being sixty-eighty bucks cheaper than the SSA...

Stickman
09-08-12, 14:18
I just picked it up today, and man is it sweet feeling! So light!

The trigger feels great, makes me glad I didnt spend the extra cash for the SSA. Im gonna try to get out in the Morning tomorrow and put half a case through it. Rainier really did an awesome job, fit and finish is excellent!

Kind of freaky how well it balances. It makes me want to kick a few of my other carbines....

titanse05
09-08-12, 18:08
Yeah Rainier Arms absolutely hit it out of the park with the RUC!

pentosinjunkie
09-09-12, 01:49
I'm in a bit of a conundrum currently with my RUC.

I picked up another M600C after I decided I'd rather move the X300 I had at 12 o'clock at the forward end of the Evo rail to my G17. I had moved the factory Diamondhead front BUIS far enough aft of the X300 for my support hand to easily adopt a thumb over bore grip behind the X300. I'd prefer to run the front sight at the forward end of the rail, but need to find a mount for the Scout (M600) that will clear the Diamondhead.

I removed the Thorntail SBR/Scout combo I've had on my NSR railed Noveske to test fitment, and discovered that it won't clear the release button on the front sight.

Do the Dropwing and Gear Sector mounts allow for adequate clearance when paired with an M600C, and the Diamondhead BUIS? I'd rather sling any mounting solution off of the 12 o'clock rail, and keep the sides of the forend free of rail panels.

If I have to change sights, I will; I've considered running the DD fixed front sight behind the X300, but I think that will screw with my grip/interfere with thumb placement. I could always go with another set of Troy sights, or even an MBUS pair...

Anyone have experience with this particular issue?

Stickman
09-09-12, 14:45
Do the Gear Sector mounts allow for adequate clearance when paired with an M600C, and the Diamondhead BUIS? I'd rather sling any mounting solution off of the 12 o'clock rail, and keep the sides of the forend free of rail panels.

Looks like the Gear Sector model will off the side, I haven't tried it off the top rail.

pentosinjunkie
09-09-12, 21:12
Looks like the Gear Sector model will off the side, I haven't tried it off the top rail.

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning more and more towards just swapping to Troys, since they're a known quantity (the Thorntail/M600 will clear the front sight) and while I don't have any problems with the Diamondhead flip-ups, Troys will work fine.

YFZsandrider
10-05-12, 20:41
Well I picked up my RUC a few weeks ago, and just ow got around to taking a couple pics. The only thing I ended up changing about the rifle, was having a Battle Comp pinned on instead of the Rainier XTC brake.

Thanks for all the input guys, and sorry for the fuzzy pics, I'm pretty sure I scratched the lens on my cheapo camera:blink:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=sguns004.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg213/scaled.php?server=213&filename=sguns005.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg402/scaled.php?server=402&filename=sguns012.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg32/scaled.php?server=32&filename=sguns013.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg337/scaled.php?server=337&filename=sguns014.jpg&res=landing

CyberM4
10-10-12, 11:05
Which sites did you buy? Plus which battle comp?

nowayout
10-10-12, 12:57
Those are the diamond head sites that come with it

YFZsandrider
10-10-12, 16:03
Which sites did you buy? Plus which battle comp?

As mentioned above, those are the Diamondhead sights that come with the rifle. Also, that's a Battlecomp 1.5 pinned and welded on a 14.5" barrel.

The gun is so suprisingly light weight, and when its held one handed at the front edge of the mag well, the balance of weight is to the rear of the gun. I figured I'd go as light as I could, with the barrel, and can always add weight later. With a weapon light out front, I think the balance will feel right about perfect

CyberM4
10-11-12, 10:18
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the Troy sights. Plus the DD RIS II rail. Which Geissele trigger did you buy?

shootinsurveyor
10-11-12, 19:23
I just bought a used one from one of the guys in the 1st hundred sold that came with the SSA trigger. It has the XTC pinned and welded on a 14.5 barrel. The gun does bark a bit, but nothing good ear pro can't handle. The gun is handy and quick. I have shot nothing but steel cased ammo through it and it hasn't malfunctioned once. Just use a little froglube every now and then. I agree with others who say it is alot of gun for the money.

YFZsandrider
10-17-12, 21:16
For thos of you who also have a RUC, did yours come with an ambi safety?

I just happened to look at Rainier's site again, and listed for the RUC is a Rainier Raptor charging handle, which I would assume is a recent addition to the gun since the Raptor just came out... but the parts list also includes a BAD A.S.S. ambi safety selector. Mine just came with the standard LPK safety.

titanse05
10-18-12, 07:24
For thos of you who also have a RUC, did yours come with an ambi safety?

I just happened to look at Rainier's site again, and listed for the RUC is a Rainier Raptor charging handle, which I would assume is a recent addition to the gun since the Raptor just came out... but the parts list also includes a BAD A.S.S. ambi safety selector. Mine just came with the standard LPK safety.Both of those additions are fairly recent changes to the RUC. Since I took delivery of my RUC in March I've added a short throw BAD-ASS and am very happy with it. I replaced the standard LPK safety because something didn't seem right with it on my RUC.

I might add a Raptor to my RUC in the future if they come out with one that uses aluminum latches (curently steel) and the latches be equal length.