PDA

View Full Version : AR for the wife's birthday present.

jeffk813
09-03-12, 18:10
The wife wanted her own AR, so with her birthday coming up, I slapped this one together for her:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/257636_4625784607497_365414050_o.jpg

Specs:

RRA stripped upper and lower
PSA lower parts kit
Magpul furniture (obviously)
BCM bolt carrier group
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Daniel Defense 16" Govt. profile barrel (mid-length gas system)
Troy low-profile gas block / tube
Daniel Defense 12" rifle type "lite" rail system

The optic in the picture is an Aimpoint PRO, and is mine. We had it on there for giggles right after I built it. She prefers my Eotech XPS2, so she now has that on there. I'm building a matching copy as soon as parts show up for myself, so the PRO is going on there.

The only sports where I was iffy was the PSA LPK and the RRA lower/upper, but the parts all fit together perfectly and work great. Zero slop. This is the second RRA lower I've used for a build and they seem well made to me. Time will tell. I've got two more in the safe waiting to be built :)

SteveL
09-03-12, 20:11
I wish my wife wanted a similar gift for her next birthday.

hotrodder636
09-03-12, 20:21
I wish my lady liked the FDE....she had me put some pink-shit furniture on it. Hey she likes it and it gets her into shooting an AR.

jaxman7
09-03-12, 23:21
Treat her VERY well. :D

Lucky to have a woman who requests an AR for a gift.

-Jax

jeffk813
09-04-12, 05:52
Yep, she's awesome. She specifically wanted the FDE furniture. If I tried to put anything pink on it, she'd likely shoot me with it :)

When she first moved in, I had to buy another safe to fit all of her guns in it. Now she told me that we need to go out and buy a bigger safe because we're running out of room again. That and she tells me we're woefully low on our ammo reserves. I tend to agree with her, but it's nice to not have to justify spending tons of coin on this stuff.

The only drawback is that whenever I buy myself a new gun, I usually end up buying her one too. Horrible sacrifice, I know.

Alex V
09-04-12, 12:45
Looks good!

I built an AR for my fiance as an engagement gift. She wanted FDE furniture as well. Go figure... must be a girl thing ;) lol

TehLlama
09-04-12, 13:04
These threads usually involve poor parts selections, or dumb constraints. This isn't one of them - that's a solid rifle.

Keep that one.

wahoo95
09-04-12, 13:11
Sweet AR! Congrats to her.

Built something similar for a lady friend of mine but used a Lightweight DD barrel and Midwest Industries Gen 2 free float to really reduce weight up front making it easier for her to manage. Reducing the weight from the front of the rifle and using the smaller diameter MI Handguard also allows her to really use a support thumb over top grip to drive the gun rather than having to grip closer to the magwell.

"Are you stuck.......living your life in the bubble?"

Tzook
09-07-12, 08:15
Yep, she's awesome. She specifically wanted the FDE furniture. If I tried to put anything pink on it, she'd likely shoot me with it :)

When she first moved in, I had to buy another safe to fit all of her guns in it. Now she told me that we need to go out and buy a bigger safe because we're running out of room again. That and she tells me we're woefully low on our ammo reserves. I tend to agree with her, but it's nice to not have to justify spending tons of coin on this stuff.

The only drawback is that whenever I buy myself a new gun, I usually end up buying her one too. Horrible sacrifice, I know.

Wow you've got a hard life :D

markm
09-07-12, 08:20
Women folk shouldn't be owning ARs. (except Cameron's woman)

jaxman7
09-07-12, 09:27
Women folk shouldn't be owning ARs. (except Cameron's woman)

And Sheri from Noveske. ;)

-Jax

MCS
09-07-12, 09:59
Nice gift!

jw0312
09-12-12, 21:14
Very nice. Keep her around! Like so many others here, I'd love for my wife to request such a gift!