Honorthecall81
09-03-12, 20:41
Ok everyone.. time to weigh in opinions on what the
most important upgrades for your everyday patrol,
carry, home defense, fill in the blank. I know different
situations call for different upgrades.. but I'd like to
hear the theory of the upgrade priority list. Maybe
this will help people get a more streamlined train of
thought on what to spend their money on.

Heck.. even list your rifle's purpose.. then your
opinion of what you feel like what upgrade(furniture)
is most important to you.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Split66
09-03-12, 20:48
Upgrade yourself. Practice/Training.

Everything else is somewhat superfluous vs skill.

Honorthecall81
09-03-12, 20:51
Good point.. I like it.. I get what your saying.. but certain equipment does provide usefullness.. but good stuff.

Honorthecall81
09-03-12, 21:16
For the sake of the thread.. let's talk actual equipment
upgrades

seb5
09-03-12, 21:22
Sling, light, RDS. To me those are not upgrades but required equipment. After that, it depends on what you need the rifle to do and what you like /prefer. Stocks, grips, rails, and triggers are pretty much extras driven mainly by what you like vs. what you need.

Split66
09-03-12, 21:24
Most SMEs/IPs I've seen around here recommend the obligatory optic, a good sling and a light. Thats pretty well known, and OF course these doodads really come in handy situationally.......funny thing is any of them could/have kicked some serious ass with an M4 armed only carry handle and *gasp plastic handguards. This is because they are dedicated to whats most important.....marksmanship, tactics, mechanics etc etc.

Priorities!

:D

Army Chief
09-03-12, 21:34
As you might imagine, we see a lot of these kinds of threads, which tends to limit responses when yet another one pops up. Searches will provide a wealth of information, but I believe this thread was among the most recent to cover some very similar terrain:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111094

AC

JSGlock34
09-03-12, 21:37
There are a few similar threads on this topic. This was a particularly good one. (http://li266-247.members.linode.com/showthread.php?t=84642)

Personally, I think an optic is the single best enhancement to marksmanship that any user can add. The optic is useful throughout the full spectrum of rifle employment. Day or night, near or far, the optic improves the ability of the marksman to hit the target dramatically over iron sights. Even a novice user will realize immediate benefits from a RDS (or other combat optic such as the ACOG).

If your carbine is your home defense weapon, obviously a light is an essential addition. And as others have said, if you plan on carrying your rifle anywhere, a sling is a requirement.

420ollie
09-03-12, 21:47
Upgrade yourself. Practice/Training.

Everything else is somewhat superfluous vs skill.

There are a few similar threads on this topic. This was a particularly good one. (http://li266-247.members.linode.com/showthread.php?t=84642)

Personally, I think an optic is the single best enhancement to marksmanship that any user can add. The optic is useful throughout the full spectrum of rifle employment. Day or night, near or far, the optic improves the ability of the marksman to hit the target dramatically over iron sights. Even a novice user will realize immediate benefits from a RDS (or other combat optic such as the ACOG).

If your carbine is your home defense weapon, obviously a light is an essential addition. And as others have said, if you plan on carrying your rifle anywhere, a sling is a requirement.

Well said. A sling to retain your weapon to go hands free or keep it from getting taken away. Optic for quick target aquisition at day or night.. Flashlight for HD at night time. Training would be at the top so you know your limitations. Also to get familiar with your rig to see what is needed and not needed.

AKDoug
09-03-12, 22:47
Sling is mandatory IMHO... After that it's ammo and magazine time. Then a light, then an optic if you need one.

3 AE
09-04-12, 00:12
Will you please read the "Stickies" and do a search on Accessories and read all the posts in the different subforums about gear and training, etc. If you shoot the gun long enough, you will know pretty much what you need to fulfill your mission. Gosh, if there was anything Rob S left in his wake, it "Was be your own SME." It's all here if your willing to spend a little time and effort. We all talk about "Not being THAT guy on the range." How about not being THAT guy on the forum.

Honorthecall81
09-04-12, 11:21
Such hostility.. The purpose of these forums is to learn. Just because something has been talked about doesn't mean that people cannot still learn by excersing thoughts and theorys.. There is so much to learn by revisiting ideas such as these. What would people learn if things were discussed once and dropped?? not much. People are always bringing new trains of thought about things and topics that people thought were exhausted. Once you think you have it all figured out... well that's when you stop learning.

Will you please read the "Stickies" and do a search on Accessories and read all the posts in the different subforums about gear and training, etc. If you shoot the gun long enough, you will know pretty much what you need to fulfill your mission. Gosh, if there was anything Rob S left in his wake, it "Was be your own SME." It's all here if your willing to spend a little time and effort. We all talk about "Not being THAT guy on the range." How about not being THAT guy on the forum.

markm
09-04-12, 11:26
A good light would be my number one. I prefer the 6p clones. Don't much care for the pistol lights with side by side batteries and rocker switches.

Then I'd say a two point sling.

Army Chief
09-04-12, 11:49
Not sure that anyone is striving for hostility, per se; they just probably prefer to see these kinds of threads posted to the "New to Firearms/Shooting" board, so they don't keep coming up here. There is always room for new discussion, but it usually helps to have the 101-level stuff straight in one's head before reintroducing a fairly basic inquiry.

You certainly did not do anything wrong, but you simply have to keep in mind that the site has a clear professional bias, so our members tend to engage each other with the implied understanding that most will have a pretty good grounding in the fundamentals, or will have spent plenty of time researching things before entering the fray.

No harm, no foul.

AC

MiamiCracker
09-04-12, 11:54
At least 10 magazines, sling, RDS or scope (learn irons though).

markm
09-04-12, 12:00
Oh yeah.... Mags... good point!

Honorthecall81
09-04-12, 12:16
See... as professional as we all may be... a simple concept like extra magazines.. he learned or realized something that he just may have forgotten or overlooked.. I understand that people on here are professionally biased.. but sometimes we need to get back to basics and understand the reason behind the basics.. but thanks on the no harm no foul.

TJx
09-04-12, 12:23
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 Medium Charging Handle

Army Chief
09-04-12, 12:25
To be perfectly candid, I would be spending a disproportionate amount of money on magazines from now until at least the election. that, and if you have designs on future rifles, perhaps some spare lowers. I'm not suggesting that any bans are imminent, but a thinking man would definitely be hedging his bets.

AC

Koshinn
09-04-12, 13:07
To be perfectly candid, I would be spending a disproportionate amount of money on magazines from now until at least the election. that, and if you have designs on future rifles, perhaps some spare lowers. I'm not suggesting that any bans are imminent, but a thinking man would definitely be hedging his bets.

AC

Do you prefer pmags, lancer awm, or gi with magpul follower mags?

Army Chief
09-04-12, 13:20
Do you prefer pmags, lancer awm, or gi with magpul follower mags?

I prefer full capacity. ;)

What do I spend my own money on? Windowed PMAGs, GI mags with enhanced followers (Bravo Company filled my last order) and PRI mags for feeding 6.8.

AC

cgjane
09-04-12, 13:31
non standard equipment?

A Weapon Light, followed by an Optic.

TehLlama
09-04-12, 13:33
There's still an argument for take the carbine to a class in 'run what you brung' form - there's a lot of improvement that can be made right away with that, especially if it's more moderate cost training found locally.

Flashlight, Optic, Sling, Mags.
Surefire, Aimpoint, VCAS, PMags are hard to go wrong with, but there are plenty of viable alternatives too. That said, a G2X SF light on a good mount, an Aimpoint PRO, an AA VCAS sling, and a 10pk of PMags will set you up on the hardware side for then focusing on building your proficiency behind the rifle.

There are, of course, much more gucci setups, but the same theme applies (e.g. SF X300/M300, Aimpoint T-1, and VCAS QD/AA Padded)

Caeser25
09-04-12, 16:44
Sling, light, rds (on the go to gun), correct sprinco spring for your application (like geisselle, you just don't understand until you try it) geisselle s3g or sd3g, pmags or at least magpul followers. Those are my must haves. Everything else is personal preference.

jb1911
09-04-12, 19:14
Weapon mounted light, RDS, sling, and Pmags. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Tzook
09-04-12, 19:34
Quality sling, quality optic suited to your needs (Aimpiont, Eotech, Accupoint, ACOG, etc....) and a light. If you feel most comfortable shooting with a foregrip, add that in as well.