PDA

View Full Version : One shot, one kill

orkan
09-03-12, 21:28
Or maybe 2 shots 2 kills?

So I'm heading to oregon on a mule deer hunting trip at the end of the month.

Loaded up a hundred rounds of 338LM. Plenty to practice with between now and then.

Hornady 285gr BTHP @ 2.970" to ogive
93gr Retumbo
CCI-250 primer
Lapua brass

One of these very special missiles will be directed through the chest of an Oregon mule deer in just a few weeks. :twisted:

http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/reloading/IMG_0445.JPG

I went out shooting with a few guys today. First round hit on a 12" target at 960yds, in a 7-20mph gusting wind. Waited 10 minutes... then fired another single shot at another 12" target at 643yds. Another first round hit. ... and for once there were witnesses. haha!

2 shots, 2 dead deer. :) The wind was horrible today. Gusting 7-20mph. That's a tough wind. The 338LM flexed his muscles. Damn near knocked the target over at 643.

There is a big oregon mule deer somewhere that will be feeling the business end of a 285 hornady in about 4 weeks.

orkan
09-03-12, 22:27
Oh, I almost forgot to mention... I didn't zero my 338 barrel before doing this. :secret:

I took the 22" 308 conversion out, consulted the log book which gave me +1.2 mils from the 308 zero, dialed the correction, and re-zeroed the turret.

Can't say enough about these DTA's. I don't know of any other rifle in the world that could have swapped barrels/bolts and done what I did today in as short amount of time I did it.

Edit: Someone snapped a picture. You can see the weeds bending over in the background. She was breezy. Lifted trucks make great shade. ;)

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/irish5587/2012/Orkan3382.jpg

The Surgeon
09-04-12, 01:11
Boy how I wish I could shoot a 338L.:cray:

But of course you know my Surgeon 308 could have done that with one had tied behind her back!:rolleyes:

Bro! That is some awesome shootin'

Seriously, If I could shoot the 338L, I would be up there with you tomorrow evening buying one off of you. I am hoping by spring time, money being right, I get to come up there and pick one up from you. By that time maybe my shoulder may be in better shape. If it is, I am buying a 338L off of you.

taliv
09-04-12, 10:41
nice shooting

the only time i see 7-20mph variability is when tornado sirens are going off. (i did actually go out this weekend to shoot in the wind during a tornado watch... i was listening to the ham spotters tracking rotation in the clouds but no funnels...)

heh, i thought i was the only one who used my truck for shade

trackmagic
09-04-12, 18:35
Or maybe 2 shots 2 kills?

So I'm heading to oregon on a mule deer hunting trip at the end of the month.

Loaded up a hundred rounds of 338LM. Plenty to practice with between now and then.

Hornady 285gr BTHP @ 2.970" to ogive
93gr Retumbo
CCI-250 primer
Lapua brass

One of these very special missiles will be directed through the chest of an Oregon mule deer in just a few weeks. :twisted:

http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/reloading/IMG_0445.JPG

I went out shooting with a few guys today. First round hit on a 12" target at 960yds, in a 7-20mph gusting wind. Waited 10 minutes... then fired another single shot at another 12" target at 643yds. Another first round hit. ... and for once there were witnesses. haha!

2 shots, 2 dead deer. :) The wind was horrible today. Gusting 7-20mph. That's a tough wind. The 338LM flexed his muscles. Damn near knocked the target over at 643.

There is a big oregon mule deer somewhere that will be feeling the business end of a 285 hornady in about 4 weeks.

Congrats on the tags. I am 0 for 4 on eastern Oregon tags. Deer hunting in western Oregon sucks. Damn nocturnal black tail!

jmart
09-04-12, 18:45
Good luck. And I hope you have a sliver or two of meat left after nailing buck with a .338 slug.

Having said that, I hope these bullets aren't too tough. 285 is very heavy for a .338, frankly I've never heard of that weight in that caliber. You may want to check out from Hornady about whether or not they'd be too tough and might be prone to penciling through.

ETA: Just checked out Hornady's website. These are thin jacketed, match boattails, .700 BC. Just hope you don't get presented with a short range shot, I'd bet these things will come apart in a big way.

orkan
09-04-12, 19:55
I shot a mulie in the neck up close... it wasn't that bad.

I've killed several deer with them. They work great as a LR hunting bullet. I dare say, fantastic.

Pappabear
09-07-12, 00:34
Nice shooting Big O

338 Lapua, yea that sounds good. I can kinda appreciate what that gun will do, moving back and forth with my 300WM and my 308 gives me a taste of upgrading the ballistics.

I have a white tail hunt in South AZ. Little deer there, but one might see the bad end of a 300WM 200g Accubond. I have a hunting gun that recently got a Krieger barrel, and it is crying to be the chosen one. If I lose a little meat, well I lose a little meat.

My friends in TX often shoot deer in the neck, drop like a sack of potatoes.

orkan
09-07-12, 01:21
Never thought about it that way, but the step from 308 to 300WM is about the same basic percentage of performance gain as the step from 300WM to 338LM. 800m > 1200m > 1500m

Come to think of it, the percentage of financial impact is about the same as well. I suppose it is no coincidence that the military steps in those very same increments! 308 > 300WM > 338LM. 800yds > 1200yds > 1500yds... or so they say. ;) Running a 285 Hornady or 300gr Scenar's puts it closer to a mile than 1500yds for the .338LM. So in my opinion, the percentage of performance difference and price difference is about the same. Hmmm. Who woulda thunk it?

I tell you what though... when shooting steel, you can absolutely tell the difference between when my 285gr hornady hits vs a 208 Amax from a 300WM. That 338 puts the STOMP on things.

I don't always shoot critters in the neck... but I was hungry. Neck/head shots ensure good meat, and a neck shot is easier to pull off than a head shot. The base of the neck doesn't move much on a deer, and the blood clotting doesn't make it down to the front quarters or the backstraps if done properly. :)

Pappabear
09-07-12, 01:34
Never thought about it that way, but the step from 308 to 300WM is about the same basic percentage of performance gain as the step from 300WM to 338LM. 800m > 1200m > 1500m

Come to think of it, the percentage of financial impact is about the same

I tell you what though... when shooting steel, you can absolutely tell the difference between when my 285gr hornady hits vs a 208 Amax from a 300WM. That 338 puts the STOMP on things.

I

I agree, you read about "ft pounds of energy", or you can "Hear about ft lbs of energy" on that steel. And just impacts spots on the steel. We shoot .223 , 308 and 300WM, and its markedly different for each with sound, impact size splat and rattle of the steel. 338 Lapua, yea that sounds good. :D