PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk Custom GRP

SkiDevil
09-03-12, 22:00
Hi Guys,
Is there are any Nighthawk Custom GRP owners or others with recent experience with this particular model?

I am considering purchasing my first high-end custom 1911 .45 ACP pistol.
The primary use will be for range/ target shooting, and as a back-up for hunting and a general outdoors self- defense gun.

I found several models at a couple of local dealers to look at and have been able to shoot one recently. It very much reminds me of the Wilson CQB.

Any thoughts, opinions, or recent experiences with this particular model are appreciated.

SkiDevil

ThirdWatcher
09-04-12, 00:29
My NHC GRP is a nice (i.e: reliable and accurate) pistol... I don't know what more to say. It is my off-duty pistol during the winter.

SkiDevil
09-04-12, 11:19
My NHC GRP is a nice (i.e: reliable and accurate) pistol... I don't know what more to say. It is my off-duty pistol during the winter.

Can you elaborate more on your use/ service of the pistol please; how many rounds fired, any malfunctions, wear on parts/ finish, ammo issues, any customer service experience with Nighthawk custom?

Thank you for any additional information

ThirdWatcher
09-05-12, 14:24
I've only put about 500 rounds through it with no problems at all, no FTF's, nothing. It does what it's supposed to do without any drama. The Perma-Kote finish will ultimately wear off on the edges from holsterwear, but that's not much of an issue for me.

SkiDevil
09-05-12, 16:32
I've only put about 500 rounds through it with no problems at all, no FTF's, nothing. It does what it's supposed to do without any drama. The Perma-Kote finish will ultimately wear off on the edges from holsterwear, but that's not much of an issue for me.

Thanks for the additional clarification.

I have spoken to several people who own a Nighthawk Custom pistol and everyone has said something similar. Another observation, is those individuals all had similar round counts as well.

ThirdWatcher
09-05-12, 23:48
I own three NHC's (a 10-8, GRP, and a Talon in 9mm). The 10-8 has a couple thousand rounds through it without any problems (other than holster wear). I do keep my pistols clean and oiled and I have changed out the recoil and firing pin springs a couple times on the 10-8 (w/ Wolff 18.5's).

I believe any of the major brands of custom 1911's are GTG... I just chose NHC because they were available at the time I was ready to buy (and I have not regretted this decision).

Breadman
09-06-12, 02:03
I have a 10-8 that I have had since 2008 or so. Round count is about 6000. This is my daily CC gun thru the cooler months. I have also used it in several 3gun matches. It has all original parts. I clean it about every 500 rds and have never had a malfunction of any kind. Finish wear is significant, but not obscene. When it gets too bad, I'll send it in to get the Diamond Black finish put on.
I have also owned a Predator. It was a beautiful pistol, but I never shot it much.
I have a friend who is not on this forum that owns 4 Nighthawks. He is a highly respected IDPA shooter and has round counts in two of his pistols that dwarf mine. He has used Nighthawks customer service 4 times. (to get pistols refinished, new sites installed, etc... He was well pleased 3 of the 4 times.)
The last time he tried to use customer service, he was having some problem (can't remember exactly what) and the people that he spoke to gave him the run-around. He went days waiting for a return phone call. In the mean time, he diagnosed and fixed his own problem... it was accumulated grease and crud in firing pin channel.
Now, this really wasn't a problem with the pistol, but it put a bad taste in his mouth. He is the kind of person that gets bent out of shape pretty easy if he feels jerked around and the more expensive an item is, the more he expects from their customer service.
As a side note, he unloaded all this info to the Nighthawk Shooting team at a IDPA state championship match... so it HAS been brought to the companies attention.
I should also say that he called me, telling me about all of the other times he sent his pistols in and how pleased he was with their service, turn-around time etc...

Completely off topic, I have had 2 Les Baer 45s. (still have one) I have had similar experience with them and have never had a problem. I think once you get to this level of 1911, they are all pretty good and it just comes down to who you want to send your money to.

Timbonez
09-06-12, 06:34
The last time he tried to use customer service, he was having some problem (can't remember exactly what) and the people that he spoke to gave him the run-around. He went days waiting for a return phone call. In the mean time, he diagnosed and fixed his own problem... it was accumulated grease and crud in firing pin channel...

So what was it? You can't remember the problem he had or was it the grease/crud? Additionally, your highly respected IDPA friend called CS because he had a dirty firing pin channel. How is that a CS issue and not operator error?

SkiDevil, I have a NH GRP I ordered in Feb of 2011. It was ready when I returned home from my deployment last year. I have been very pleased with it's function in the 1900 rounds I've put through it from Aug '11 through Apr '12. Realize that most of their models are more or less the same besides some external differences and cosmetics.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ThirdWatcher
09-06-12, 06:44
Probably overdoing it, but I clean the firing pin channel on my 1911's every time I clean them... I really try to leave nothing to chance on my weaponry.

Breadman
09-06-12, 09:04
So what was it? You can't remember the problem he had or was it the grease/crud? Additionally, your highly respected IDPA friend called CS because he had a dirty firing pin channel. How is that a CS issue and not operator error?

SkiDevil, I have a NH GRP I ordered in Feb of 2011. It was ready when I returned home from my deployment last year. I have been very pleased with it's function in the 1900 rounds I've put through it from Aug '11 through Apr '12. Realize that most of their models are more or less the same besides some external differences and cosmetics.

I can't remember the malfunction he was having. The dirty firing pin channel was the problem. It was the kind of thing that was so simple that it was overlooked.
He figured it out himself and cleaned it. (he also felt pretty dumb) however; that's not the point. The point is that in this case NHC customer service was lacking. I believe that was a large part of the OP's question.
I have no experience with their CS as my pistols have been perfect, but I thought these experiences of a trusted friend (both good and bad) were relevant.

SkiDevil
09-06-12, 09:52
Thirdwatcher, Breadman, and Timbonez, thank you gentleman for the additional information.

I am leaning towards the Nighthawk Custom because of local availability as well. It seems to be carried by more dealers in my area than most of the other high-end brands.

Timbonez, I have examined several models including the T3, T2, GRP Recon, Falcon, and the Talon and noted that except for the shorter grip on the T3. the models are similar. I have only shot the GRP Recon and the accuracy and crispness of the trigger was impressive.

Since I won't likely be buying more than 1 for a while it will have to be a 5 inch model. I like the GRP but I am not certain if I need a rail and light. I never mount lights on any of my pistols.

Either way, the best price I have found after the sales tax and other fees is just over $3,000. I am still checking around to see if if I can get a better deal.

Timbonez
09-06-12, 12:59
I forgot to mention that my GRP is chambered in 9mm.

mikem
09-06-12, 14:15
I have a Nighthawk GRP Recon that I have been using as a work gun since June of 2007. It gets carried daily in either a IWB leather holster or a Safariland rig at work. So far it has 30,800 rounds down range and a lot of time dry firing. To date I have had a limited number of Failures to Feed (mostly from magazines with out of spec feed lips), and a few failures to extract. The Failures to extract came just before the extractor lost the entire tip, somewhere around the 10K round mark.

Around the 25K mark the roll pin holding the front sight sheared off. Nighthawk was fast with customer service and mailed me about 10 more roll pins.

At the 27K mark the safety broke. It broke right in front of the cross shaft. The gun is a work gun and Nighthawk was very responsive with customer service again. I shipped the gun and while they had it I got it refinished as it was pretty beat up. The gun was back in about 2 weeks and looked like new.

I ran the gun at a class just last week and was getting hits on B/C steel at about 80 yards.

I have been very pleased with my Nighthawk and with service from them. If I was to get another 1911 it would probably be a Nighthawk. I also have a Springfield Armory MC Operator that is hovering around the 30K mark and it has been a solid performer as well.

ThirdWatcher
09-06-12, 15:16
So far it has 30,800 rounds down range and a lot of time dry firing.

That is impressive. What springs have you replaced (and how often)?

Pappabear
09-07-12, 00:45
Got a Talon, 3,000 rounds or so. No malfs, very smooth, great trigger. You will enjoy, go for it. Then get a Springer Pro , then get a Wilson...........colt..it never ends. :D

mikem
09-07-12, 13:08
I forgot to mention I am on my 3rd extractor, with a 4th one set to drop in shortly. I noticed last week the ejection pattern was getting a little unpredictable.

As for springs. I replace the recoil and firing pin springs every 3000 rounds. I have used Wolff springs for the life of the pistol. I use a 18lb (or 18.5, I can't remember as I don't have it in front of me) recoil spring and the firing pin springs came in the same pack. I have been looking at getting a replacement main spring and leaf spring but to date have had no issues with the factory originals.

SkiDevil
09-07-12, 17:26
I forgot to mention I am on my 3rd extractor, with a 4th one set to drop in shortly. I noticed last week the ejection pattern was getting a little unpredictable.

As for springs. I replace the recoil and firing pin springs every 3000 rounds. I have used Wolff springs for the life of the pistol. I use a 18lb (or 18.5, I can't remember as I don't have it in front of me) recoil spring and the firing pin springs came in the same pack. I have been looking at getting a replacement main spring and leaf spring but to date have had no issues with the factory originals.

Thank you Sir, for the very detailed responses.

The information was very educational and provides better insight to my decision. Your experience is similar to others whom I know with high-end 1911s. Which succinctly put is if they are shot alot then they most definitely require preventative maintenance and tuning.

Ultimately, it does not dissuade my wanting one but it provides the reality if I want to use the pistol a great deal it would be wise to have at a minimum the spare parts for most problems which could be necessary or another identical pistol for carry.

loupav
09-11-12, 19:55
I have one. A GRP Recon, and I love it. It's a very good gun and dead sexy. Never made any changes to it, just got it dirty from various range trips. Buy one with confidence, they're great pistols!

ThirdWatcher
09-12-12, 02:05
...Which succinctly put is if they are shot alot then they most definitely require preventative maintenance and tuning.

... if I want to use the pistol a great deal it would be wise to have at a minimum the spare parts for most problems which could be necessary or another identical pistol for carry.

I believe this is correct and I do keep spare parts on hand. FWIW, I'm one of those guys that could destroy the world with a screwdriver so I have a pistolsmith that works on my 1911's... but it's worth it to me. :)

VooDoo6Actual
09-12-12, 13:45
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/photo-81.jpg

While not the specifically the GRP, the NH AAC Recon I have been using has been outstanding from my experiences shooting & instructing with it. I have 2,000+ trouble free rounds. DR w/ it. NO issues whatsoever eats any ammo I put through it including semiwadcutters etc.

HTH YMMV

SkiDevil
04-08-16, 23:08
Well, it has been a few years, but I finally bought my Nighthawk GRP Recon. It's officially the most expensive handgun that I have ever purchased and my first and likely only 1911 pistol.

newyork
04-09-16, 04:49
Awesome!!

SkiDevil
04-09-16, 10:30
Awesome!!

Thanks, I will post a few photos when I have the opportunity.

Anyone have any holster suggestions, with the light X300 mounted?

Looking for an OWB and drop/ duty or mid type holster for uniform or exposed carry.

Street Dog
04-10-16, 16:39
Thanks, I will post a few photos when I have the opportunity.

Anyone have any holster suggestions, with the light X300 mounted?

Looking for an OWB and drop/ duty or mid type holster for uniform or exposed carry.

Sent you a message on a holster.

SkiDevil
05-06-16, 10:13
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/Mobile%20Uploads/th_20160505_233153.jpg (http://s757.photobucket.com/user/SkiDevil01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160505_233153.jpg.html)

I finally had a chance to shoot my new GRP Recon last night.

My initial impressions of firing 207 rounds of Federal American Eagle 230 gr Ball ammo in 50 minutes.

I shot the pistol at 7, 15, and 25 yards at a public indoor range. Lighting was not the best and I had some difficulty tracking my sights, especially at 25 yards.

I have been shooting a HK 45 C and P2000 SK for the last year and a half almost exclusively. Switching over to an all steel 1911 .45 is a definite change. The pistol balanced well and has a solid feel to it. I shot the pistol without the Surefire X300.
Once I run about 1K rounds through the pistol, then I will put the light on again.

Accuracy is excellent. At 7 yards where the lighting was better, shooting tight groupings was very easy. I fired the pistol, slowly at first for accuracy, then rapidly, including several magazine dumps, double, and triple taps. I fired several magazines of slow fire at an Alco BT5 siholutte target. I easily kept all of my rounds center mass on the target with several rounds wandering to the left of the target.

I have no doubt off a rest, this pistol will fire very tight groups. I shoot all my pistols off-hand unsupported.

Regarding the fit, and finish of the pistol.

The pistol slide to frame fit is tight. The pistol fired, ejected, and loaded briskly/smoothly. No brass to face, with a consistent ejection pattern. The Blued NH ACT magazines fed reliably and were very easy to load.

The stipling on the pistol is sharp and provides a solid purchase. I don't typically shoot with gloves. I would describe it as almost to sharp. Overall, I didn't notice any sharp edges on the rest of the pistol other than the front and back strap.

The finish of the pistol is the Black permakote composite type finish Nighthawk uses. I spoke with the customer service department and was cautioned on using any abrasive or amonia based cleaning products. I'm not thrilled that I can't use Hoppes or other products that I have previously utilized because it may stain the finish. For the cost of the pistol, something more durable would be great. I like Black T finish, so maybe at a later date, I will send it to Robar.

After firing the pistol 200 rounds it was warm. I noticed, once I fired four eight-round magazines rapidly the pistol got a little heated, but not hot enough to be uncomfortable holding it.

I really like the extra weight and balance provided by the steel frame. It feels easier to shoot at distance than my polymer. .45s and much more controllable firing at speed. With the rail and light attached this pistol would make an excellent sidearm for duty use or self-defense.

To conclude, I am pleased with my new Nighthawk Custom pistol. I am looking forward to shooting it outside at 25 and 50 yards in better lighting. The pistol exudes quality and has a very solid feel. Time well tell if it will be a reliable sidearm.

SkiDevil
07-06-16, 18:29
2nd Range trip with 429 Rounds fired.

The pistol fired all rounds with no malfunctions. Ammunition used was Federal American Eagle .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ and Magtech 230 FMJ. The point of impact varied between the two loads.
Magtech ammo was more accurate and grouped 2 inches above front sight at 25 yards with a 6 O'clock hold.

Target was slow fire at 25 yards, unsupported, two-handed Weaver stance. The pistol is more accurate than I can shoot it. Last target of the day. I will fire for groups at 25 yards again, now that point of impact is known for sights and ammo.

I have really enjoyed the accuracy and quality of the pistol.