PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating!

Rob-ECTT
09-03-12, 22:06
The Wiki Weapon - Printable Gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ6Q3BfbVBU&feature=player_embedded

totenkopf_u64
09-03-12, 23:25
just so others know... This video contains no printed gun. It does, however, make me wonder about how smoking dope could change my life.

Rob-ECTT
09-04-12, 00:12
just so others know... This video contains no printed gun. It does, however, make me wonder about how smoking dope could change my life.

Sorry this went over your head. Go back to giving nazi salutes in the mirror until you pass out from the beer.

http://haveblue.org/?p=1041

VIP3R 237
09-04-12, 00:42
3D printing is a very cool technology, it will be interesting to see how this evolves in the future.

Sorry this went over your head. Go back to giving nazi salutes in the mirror until you pass out from the beer.

http://haveblue.org/?p=1041

Oh boy, well first of all you should read the rules of this forum, especially this part. The forum mods have little patience for such attacks on other members.

Posting Rules
1) Derogatory Remarks – Please do not post any comments that are intentional personal attacks against other members. (Including, but not limited to, name calling, comments of a racial, religious or sexual nature.) Debate is welcome and encouraged. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

Koshinn
09-04-12, 01:37
so the chamber, barrel, and extractor... um... yeah... maybe for 22LR it could work?

what about springs and such?

also, isn't there some law about completely composite guns being illegal in the USA? like 18 U.S.C. § 922 ?

Dos Cylindros
09-04-12, 04:39
so the chamber, barrel, and extractor... um... yeah... maybe for 22LR it could work?

what about springs and such?

also, isn't there some law about completely composite guns being illegal in the USA? like 18 U.S.C. § 922 ?

I agree, it certainly seems as though it would be a violation of law to actually manufacture the weapon. I will admit though that I don't know enough about the current manufacturing laws (especially federal laws) to say for sure. Should a project like this ever become reality (and it may already be reality), it proposes some interesting and potentially frightening applications.

pira114
09-04-12, 05:27
I agree, it certainly seems as though it would be a violation of law to actually manufacture the weapon. I will admit though that I don't know enough about the current manufacturing laws (especially federal laws) to say for sure. Should a project like this ever become reality (and it may already be reality), it proposes some interesting and potentially frightening applications.

This, to me, was the underlying theme of the whole video. He seemed to be suggesting that because the technology should soon exist, it should be used freely and without regard for laws.

Sticks
09-04-12, 06:12
Strength of materials, cost and availability of the needed equipment...

Not much different than owning a Mill and cutting a billet out of solid stock - presuming you had the CAD info.

Sure, get the free CAD info, but spend $10k to $15k in components/equipment to start your own private production...Don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

skullworks
09-04-12, 08:25
In the same venue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqzJlBcCsow

JSantoro
09-04-12, 08:46
Rob-ECTT, if you want to respond to obvious sarcasm with outright insults, you'll sign off and do it aboard another, less actively-moderated internet venue, where you aren't to be held accountable for your brain droppings and where you didn't agree to abide by any posted policies/practices, as already noted (you did, BTW; find the rules, read them, follow them).

Cutesy little Wired-magazine articles like this belong in General Discussion. Until you get the required number of posts under your belt to create threads in GD, you'll not post things this trite in AR GD.

Keep smack-talking other members like that, you won't make it to 200 posts, and we'd be positively wringing our hands with woe if our membership were to lose out on similar cutting-edge reporting from you like this...

...that's already been posted. :rolleyes: