PDA

View Full Version : John_Wayne777 starts the 2k round endurance test... on a Hi Point!

Magic_Salad0892
09-03-12, 22:29
http://gunnuts.net/2012/08/27/the-hi-point-challenge/

Check this shit out.

Mag disassembles itself inside the gun. While firing.

Badass.

SeriousStudent
09-03-12, 23:02
Read the comments, too. Especially from the lovely and talented Tamara.

Epic. :D

Magic_Salad0892
09-03-12, 23:12
Read the comments, too. Especially from the lovely and talented Tamara.

Epic. :D

I know. They're gnarly. :D

Heavy Metal
09-03-12, 23:21
Do ya'll realize this may be the first 2000 round test where the ammo was actually worth more than the gun?

Hell, the brass may still be worth more than the gun!

JSantoro
09-04-12, 10:40
Thought for a moment that Gecko45 was actually chiming in....:D

...but they copped to changing the name of one of the respondents, because the post simply read like a Gecko45. Awesome.

C4IGrant
09-04-12, 11:07
This is great.

C4

D.O.B.A
09-04-12, 13:37
.....Funniest thread i've seen in awhile!!! :D

VooDoo6Actual
09-04-12, 13:56
Wowzers.

E-man930
09-04-12, 22:01
sub'd

CoryCop25
09-04-12, 22:31
"Zamak is the metallurgy version of scrapple"

Classic!

sammage
09-04-12, 22:58
Loving the question of how the front sight falling off is a malfunction.

:D

Magic_Salad0892
09-05-12, 00:25
Thought for a moment that Gecko45 was actually chiming in....:D

...but they copped to changing the name of one of the respondents, because the post simply read like a Gecko45. Awesome.

Are you talking about ''SFMSG''?

I really hope for updates soon.

Has anybody noticed that the Hi-Point doesn't have a ****ing slide stop? What kind of gun design is that? Do they even lock back on the last round?

I'm gonna need to pick up one of those Hi-Point Custom Elites that Todd mentioned.... :p

And I should mention the absolute best quote ever on a gun board.

When putting your ass on the line, make sure the other guy wears a condom.

MountainRaven
09-05-12, 00:39
It has been a while since I've handled a Hi-Point, but as I recall, the safety doubles as the slide-lock (for admin purposes). I do not recall whether or not they locked open on empty, but given that the only controls I can remember are the safety, the magazine release, and the trigger, I do not believe that they do.

Magic_Salad0892
09-05-12, 00:56
I also meant to congradulate Tim (John_Wayne777) on winning a position at Gun Nuts Media, as a weekly author.

Great job, man.

kaiservontexas
09-05-12, 06:33
That youtube video in the comments is hilarious. That old man is wearing some weird homemade armor to protect him if the pistol kabooms, which it did not but the safety broke off and it kept malfunctioning.

CaptainDooley
09-05-12, 06:37
But it didn't kaboom, so it passes the test!

kaiservontexas
09-05-12, 06:42
But it didn't kaboom, so it passes the test!

LOL I am sure that will be the rationalization for some people.

gillian_seed
09-05-12, 09:39
It has been a while since I've handled a Hi-Point, but as I recall, the safety doubles as the slide-lock (for admin purposes). I do not recall whether or not they locked open on empty, but given that the only controls I can remember are the safety, the magazine release, and the trigger, I do not believe that they do.
This is correct with the exception that they do lock open if you retract the slide with an unloaded magazine (or shoot a magazine empty which is very unlikely to happen without a stoppage :p).

To close the slide you just slingshot/powerstroke the slide like you would do with any handgun without a dedicated slide stop.

Disclamer: I don't own any Hi-Point handguns but a couple of my friends do.

Magic_Salad0892
09-05-12, 20:15
This is correct with the exception that they do lock open if you retract the slide with an unloaded magazine (or shoot a magazine empty which is very unlikely to happen without a stoppage :p).

To close the slide you just slingshot/powerstroke the slide like you would do with any handgun without a dedicated slide stop.

Disclamer: I don't own any Hi-Point handguns but a couple of my friends do.

Friends don't let friends shoot Hi-Points.

gillian_seed
09-06-12, 13:53
Friends don't let friends shoot Hi-Points.

Oh, they don't shoot them anymore thankfully. They bought them during a time when we were young, dumb and broke. A time when all we knew about guns was that Mosin Nagants were awesome. :o

Thread back on track: Here's week two's report. http://gunnuts.net/2012/09/06/the-hi-point-challenge-week-2/

Many failures to go into battery, at least the back of the slide is plenty large enough to get a good hit with your palm. :p

Pistol Shooter
09-06-12, 15:48
Oh, they don't shoot them anymore thankfully. They bought them during a time when we were young, dumb and broke. A time when all we knew about guns was that Mosin Nagants were awesome. :o

Thread back on track: Here's week two's report. http://gunnuts.net/2012/09/06/the-hi-point-challenge-week-2/

Many failures to go into battery, at least the back of the slide is plenty large enough to get a good hit with your palm. :p

I'm absolutely shocked by these results. :D

Shawn.L
09-06-12, 16:06
so long as we are talking tounge in cheek hi-points a buddy of mine did this a while back

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/14726-lycan-gives-up-1911-embraces-dark-side.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/667478d5e75efb5c.jpg

d90king
09-06-12, 16:15
Does anyone have any insight into why the pistol would possibly work with the gang banger, gottsah ghat grip? Seems strange that holding it at an angle would change anything about the gun mechanically, but it seems that it did in this case.

Magic_Salad0892
09-06-12, 17:36
Wow. Gangsta griptastic. 38 stoppages. **** that gun.

Does JW777 have his own blog? Or just on GNM?

Traveshamockery
09-06-12, 18:16
Are you talking about ''SFMSG''?

Has anybody noticed that the Hi-Point doesn't have a ****ing slide stop? What kind of gun design is that? Do they even lock back on the last round?

My wife has a Walther PK380 that has no slide release, but it does lock back on the last round, strangely enough. It's a terrible design though, and as I recently learned, made by Umarex.

MountainRaven
09-06-12, 23:00
My wife has a Walther PK380 that has no slide release, but it does lock back on the last round, strangely enough. It's a terrible design though, and as I recently learned, made by Umarex.

It's actually not an uncommon feature of pre-USP European-designed handguns. Especially the 'pocket pistols'.

I didn't know that Umarex made anything, though. I thought they just slapped party A's name on party B's imported product.

Magic_Salad0892
09-14-12, 00:07
http://gunnuts.net/2012/09/13/the-hi-point-challenge-week-3/

Week three.

Big A
09-14-12, 15:04
Seriously, if you guys haven't done this yet, Go to your LGS during tax season and watch all the idiots bring in their refund and walk out with Hi-Points...

It's one of the best forms of free entertainment available...

MegademiC
09-15-12, 00:46
Seriously, if you guys haven't done this yet, Go to your LGS during tax season and watch all the idiots bring in their refund and walk out with Hi-Points...

I fail to see how watching leeches buy hipoints with money I earned is entertainment...

Anyway, cool(and good) post. Its good to have something like this to show people what they may be buying.

Some fun facts:
A friends cousin wanted a gun. I recommended a glock or m&p, he came home with a hipoint. It fails to feed quite a bit.

He then bought an ar. Guess what he buys for $700? The m&p I recomended, or a stag? no - a BM... Not too bad right?

.. carbon 15. :suicide:

PA PATRIOT
09-15-12, 06:11
I totally agree Hi-Point pistols are total crap, But believe it or not I have seen more then a few of the Carbines at the club in 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp and they seem to function without issue.

One day a few years back I had a brain seizure and picked up a used .40S&W Hi-Point carbine for $50.00 from a shop that took it in on trade. Since I had a few cases of .40S&W ammo to shoot after I switched back to the 9mm I needed a cheap blaster so to speak to burn the ammo in. Any way I did a total strip and clean then lubed with Mobile One and headed out to the range and didn't encounter any function problems with 100rds fired.

Now every so often that Hi-Point carbine finds its way back to the range with me and so far after about 1200rds fired I have had no issues to speak of and with only minimum care.

Now I'm not saying this is typical of Hi-Point Carbines but sometimes its possible to find a shooter even with the junk brands if all your looking for is a fun gun to punch holes with.

Magic_Salad0892
09-15-12, 11:43
Did you guys catch this part? Go back to the comments on week one. Lol.

note from management: we don’t normally capriciously edit people’s comments, but we changed the name of this one from “SFMSG” to “Gecko45″ because it’s just too hilarious not to.

CompressionIgnition
09-17-12, 14:40
I fail to see how watching leeches buy hipoints with money I earned is entertainment...

The prev. poster referred to people getting their tax refund money and spending that on Hi-Points. A tax refund is for people who paid more tax than they owed, which due to withholding rules, a lot of people do. That is not leeching.

mizer67
09-17-12, 19:07
The prev. poster referred to people getting their tax refund money and spending that on Hi-Points. A tax refund is for people who paid more tax than they owed, which due to withholding rules, a lot of people do. That is not leeching.

Not exactly.

Due to various tax credits put in place over the years (tax credits are 'above the line' and can be paid to the tax filer irrespective of any taxes paid into the system), people can and do get a tax refund greater than the amount of money that they paid into the system.

CompressionIgnition
09-17-12, 19:19
Not exactly.

Due to various tax credits put in place over the years (tax credits are 'above the line' and can be paid to the tax filer irrespective of any taxes paid into the system), people can and do get a tax refund greater than the amount of money that they paid into the system.

Can and can. Yes, which applies to SOME tax payers. Others, like me and many others, get a refund because we overpaid. Any refund I get still leaves PLENTY of MY income in Uncle Sam's pockets. Thus, calling people 'leeches' when they get a tax refund can be grossly inaccurate, to put it mildly.

JSantoro
09-17-12, 19:39
The train-wreck that is our tax system may be discussed as a stand-alone subject in GD, guys. You're BOTH pretty.... :p

Magic_Salad0892
09-18-12, 00:22
You're BOTH pretty.... :p

B-but..... WHAT ABOUT ME!?!?!?!?!....:cray:

Whiskey_Bravo
09-18-12, 09:01

The couple of LGS I frequent don't deal in Hi-Points luckily. And I agree with another poster. The fact that they are using earned income credit(our money) to purchase shit guns isn't as amusing as one would think.

Icculus
09-18-12, 09:31
Thanks for the links. Should make for an interesting follow.

Speaking of links; is the old 2000 round challenge results thread completely gone? I realize certain parties are no longer on this site but it would seem that the results thread was still a good resource to have. I can search and find the discussion thread here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=523158) but the results thread seems to be toast.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=43569

charmcitycop
09-19-12, 12:26