PDA

View Full Version : Militec is awesome grease.

1_click_off
09-03-12, 22:33
I purchased a LCP about June 09 (let's not even start the .380 is crap CCW, I know we all know) and noticed it had some flash rust on the slide after carring it for a few months. I fought the rust and oiled it constantly. I live in the deep south and sweat like crazy since I grew up 500 miles from the Canadian border. I carry in a blackhawk pocket holster. I bought a tube of Militec-1 grease and read it is suppose to soak into the pores of the metal after 3-4 heat cycles. Well, i cheated. I stripped the pistol and buffed the rust off best I could and then heated the metal components with a hair dryer until it was about 180 deg F. (used IR gun) I applied a generious amount of Militec-1 grease, wrapped it in tin foil and then in a beach towel until back to room temp. Heated and cooled again. I did not heat the springs as not to screw with the temper. Removed it when cool and then wiped the excess grease off and reassembled. I have carried this rig daily since the grease job in December of 2010 and the rust has not returned. I have only oiled it 2 other times, once with Militec oil and once with CLP. I was mostly doing this as an experiment to see how true it is that the grease penetrates the pores and protects the finish. I have to say I am extremely happy with it. I have even been soaking wet and took the holster and pistol out of my pocket and let the holster dry with the gun in it with no signs of rust. When i am done shooting, i can simply wipe the powder off the slide with a rag. Granted I do not shoot it every week or month, but it wipes clean and then a boresnake for the barrel. On weekends this is my bug and in the week it is my "better than nothing" gun since I absolutely can not afford to print.

I have no affiliation with Militec, just very impressed with the product. Little over 20 months and still no rust.

Noodles
09-04-12, 10:52
I have their oil in the little spray bottle, not terribly impressed with it as it SEEMS to gunk up on my suppressed handguns. It could be my imagination, but it that's how it seems. I'll be swapping to an alternative lube here soon.

Topperdog
09-05-12, 06:03
I use militec since my deployment in 2007. I was very impressed with how it worked on my M4 in iraq and use it on all my weapons now.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Bickle
09-05-12, 09:23
I've always had great results with Miltec...been using it for a few years. It really appears to coat the metal well.

I gave a bottle to a buddy who just went through NYPD training and did a shitload of shooting and he absolutey loves the stuff - particularly the longevity of the lubricative quality.

skyugo
09-05-12, 14:27
I really like the militec oil for AR gas rings. It keeps things smooth much longer than most other oils, even after there is no visible lubricant remaining.

An Undocumented Worker
09-05-12, 21:38
It just seems like normal wheel bearing grease to me.

jhs1969
09-06-12, 00:00
I prefer something that is not a carcinogen. I've had good results with TW25B, Mobil 1 and recently have really been impressed with Slip 2000 grease and EWL 30wt. YMMV.

1_click_off
09-07-12, 08:00
The original post was not to start a lube war or compare oils to grease

It was just to show an example of the rust inhibitor function of the grease when a metal object is getting a daily dose of salt and moisture.

jhs1969
09-07-12, 10:34
The original post was not to start a lube war or compare oils to grease

It was just to show an example of the rust inhibitor function of the grease when a metal object is getting a daily dose of salt and moisture.

Understood and agreed, no smoke or flames here. I still hold a fair amount of Militec oil and grease, however I have since moved on to products I personally feel preform better with less harmful chemicals.

deeHKman
09-07-12, 18:40
Militec-1 oil and grease are great..used the oil a long time...

PPGMD
09-09-12, 15:53
I prefer something that is not a carcinogen. I've had good results with TW25B, Mobil 1 and recently have really been impressed with Slip 2000 grease and EWL 30wt. YMMV.

The Militec MSDS don't list any carcinogens for either the grease or the oil.

Do you know something that they aren't admitting?

jhs1969
09-09-12, 21:49
The Militec MSDS don't list any carcinogens for either the grease or the oil.

Do you know something that they aren't admitting?

No, probably not. I seem to recall Militec used known carcinogen additives. Maybe someone with more knowledge on Militec can confirm or deny. I pulled some of my old stock of Militec oil and the only thing on the container concerning incredients read "Contains synthetic hydrocarbon derivatives".

I do wonder why they do not list their incredients, it may be a legit reason though. I will not make any opinions, lets try to keep this fact based, now you've got me curious too.

obucina
09-09-12, 21:54
It just seems like normal wheel bearing grease to me.

it smells and looks just like the bottles of Mercon-V in my garage.

PPGMD
09-09-12, 22:35
I do wonder why they do not list their incredients, it may be a legit reason though. I will make any opinions, lets try to keep this fact based, now you've got me curious too.

The grease has a number of it's ingredients listed because it can be a skin irritant based on the MSDS. But talking to Militec about the grease, they told me that it is basically lithium wheel bearing grease mixed so it has a 15% concentration of Militec 1 oil in the grease.

I did a quick search for the ingredients list for a number of gun specific lubes. Except for the required ones for the MSDS (which is only the hazardous ones and in some cases they don't even name the actual ones using the generic EP additive), a quick search of all the major gun lube companies show no ingredient lists.

Some will give you a generic answer like Militec, but they all seem to play it close to the chest. So I wouldn't hold it against a company for not listing them if all their competitors are doing the same.

jhs1969
09-09-12, 23:54
The grease has a number of it's ingredients listed because it can be a skin irritant based on the MSDS. But talking to Militec about the grease, they told me that it is basically lithium wheel bearing grease mixed so it has a 15% concentration of Militec 1 oil in the grease.

I did a quick search for the ingredients list for a number of gun specific lubes. Except for the required ones for the MSDS (which is only the hazardous ones and in some cases they don't even name the actual ones using the generic EP additive), a quick search of all the major gun lube companies show no ingredient lists.

Some will give you a generic answer like Militec, but they all seem to play it close to the chest. So I wouldn't hold it against a company for not listing them if all their competitors are doing the same.

Exactly, I fully expected these companies to protect their paticular formulas as best possible. I do seem to remember a lot of talk concerning possible slight health hazards of Militec. In fact there was a recent thread talking of the wart like side effects of CLP. It's a shame potential hazards are lost in the secrecy of a companies products. I have become a Slip convert for three reasons, the performance of their grease, the added thickness of their 30wt oil, and the fact their products are touted as non-toxic. I hope more information becomes availble on these products.

PPGMD
09-10-12, 08:48
Exactly, I fully expected these companies to protect their paticular formulas as best possible. I do seem to remember a lot of talk concerning possible slight health hazards of Militec. In fact there was a recent thread talking of the wart like side effects of CLP. It's a shame potential hazards are lost in the secrecy of a companies products. I have become a Slip convert for three reasons, the performance of their grease, the added thickness of their 30wt oil, and the fact their products are touted as non-toxic. I hope more information becomes availble on these products.

Breakfree CLP does indeed have PTFE in it, which the fumes of it appiled high heat can be dangerous. Militec doesn't have PTFE (do a search the page where they say that would come up as the first sult).

If the MSDS doesn't mention any dangerous chemicals it can be reasonably assumed that it doesn't contain any dangerous chemicals when used normally. I don't get the current obsession with non-toxic, unless you are shooting shitty lead free ammo, your gun is toxic. Unless you are swallowing the lube, clean gun, and wash your hands. That will prevent 99% of any bad stuff from entering your system. To quote the anonymous Russian "Is gun, is not safe."

jhs1969
09-10-12, 10:26
Militec performs well, no doubt, I've used it for several years, both oil and grease. As mentioned earlier TW25B and Slip work very well also, so does Mobil 1. There are even more good choices for lube and new products seem to come online just every few months now. Froglube has gotten a lot of attention lately and I'm sure it is a very good lube as well. This is an area that there is no one best choice IMO, choose what you like for whatever your reasons may be and press on. I've listed some of my choices and reasons for them. Consider them or not, it's your choice.

denn1911
09-10-12, 22:49
I normally use Slip 2000 or Tetra Lube, but recently picked up some MilTec to try. I've been impressed so far and look forward to prolonged use over the next several months.