PDA

View Full Version : No easy day.

Dirk Williams
09-03-12, 23:49
Apparently the book is now out. It just arrived on my kindle about 20 minutes ago. This is the Mark Owen book that the military was trying to,shut down for some reason.

Anyway it's out now on kindle.

DW

Reagans Rascals
09-04-12, 00:20
Apparently the book is now out. It just arrived on my kindle about 20 minutes ago. This is the Mark Owen book that the military was trying to,shut down for some reason.

Anyway it's out now on kindle.

DW

I was under the impression it wouldn't be out until the 11th?

Its probably the publishers tactic to just get it out before the pentagon shuts them down..

Sam
09-04-12, 07:40
Publisher decided to change the release date from the 11th to the 4th. Paper book will be released later. :(

Watrdawg
09-04-12, 08:18
I got mine on my iPad this moring also.

Voodoo_Man
09-04-12, 09:07
Waiting for the paperback to hit my doorstep.

VooDoo6Actual
09-04-12, 12:37
Chapters 15 & 16 here for free:

http://cryptome.org/2012/09/ned/ned-15-16.pdf

SW-Shooter
09-04-12, 12:54
Mine say's "Shipping Soon", with arrival on Thursday. I cannot wait, but reading on the Kindle fire is not my cup of tea, I prefer the sound of a page turning.

SW-Shooter
09-04-12, 12:57
Waiting for the paperback to hit my doorstep.

I was thinking about going paperback, just in case I was ever outdoors for a stretch, it would be easier to tote around. But I'm getting old man eyes and I'm not sure about the small print. Something I may have to consider though.

Dave L.
09-04-12, 12:57
Mine say's "Shipping Soon", with arrival on Thursday. I cannot wait, but reading on the Kindle fire is not my cup of tea, I prefer the sound of a page turning.

Same for me. Although I don't really agree with the book itself, I wanted to get a copy before they try to "Operation Dark Horse" it.

BrigandTwoFour
09-04-12, 13:37
I don't think the DoD will shut it down. It's already out there, and the book went through an army of military lawyers to make sure it wasn't giving away any classified details that haven't already been given away by POTUS. It's the same process any of the books about SEALS have gone through lately.

The subject matter of this one is just controversial, since it directly contradicts many things that were said in the beginning.

30 cal slut
09-04-12, 13:59
browsed through it ... author went fairly easy on our Commander In Chief.

Army Chief
09-04-12, 14:34
Concur. I suspect it is the unintended pressure that the corrected account places upon those in political circles (who originally presented the facts in a slightly different light) that is really driving the DoD's objections. Senior political appointees are naturally going to express concern over any disclosures that could contradict or embarass a sitting Administration. It is simply the nature of the beast.

By contrast, senior military leaders are generally far more reticent to draw attention to anything that could potentially compromise operational TTPs, and that is especially true when the information truly is deemed to be sensitive. Of course, it may be more difficult to deal with such things internally if/when the offender is no longer subject to UCMJ or a chain-of-command, but I don't know if that is the case with Mr. Owen or not.

Honestly, given the manner in which SEAL activities have so regularly been heralded before the American public in recent years, I'm not sure how much genuine indignation is really warranted here in the first place. Like it or not, we've turned the SEALs into a de facto PR outlet for SOCOM.

AC

Sam
09-04-12, 18:33
I was wrong. On our way out of town (to the beach), we stopped by Barnes and Nobles to pick up "Wheat Belly", and I saw "No easy day" hardback copies. Got mine, will be reading it on the beach.

mallowpufft
09-04-12, 19:15
I knew there was a reason I remembered to charge my Nook last night. Just couldn't remember what.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

Reagans Rascals
09-04-12, 19:21
I have it in .pdf..... if anyone would like to "borrow it" pm me with your email and I will "lend it to you"

I just ask that you pay it forward....

VooDoo6Actual
09-04-12, 19:29
SEALs 'pulled off duty' over Bin Laden raid book
http://rt.com/news/bin-laden-book-seals-305/

MarkG
09-04-12, 23:05
It's going to be interesting to see how No Easy Day reconciles with Zero Dark Thirty...

mtdawg169
09-05-12, 09:33
Concur. I suspect it is the unintended pressure that the corrected account places upon those in political circles (who originally presented the facts in a slightly different light) that is really driving the DoD's objections. Senior political appointees are naturally going to express concern over any disclosures that could contradict or embarass a sitting Administration. It is simply the nature of the beast.

By contrast, senior military leaders are generally far more reticent to draw attention to anything that could potentially compromise operational TTPs, and that is especially true when the information truly is deemed to be sensitive. Of course, it may be more difficult to deal with such things internally if/when the offender is no longer subject to UCMJ or a chain-of-command, but I don't know if that is the case with Mr. Owen or not.

Honestly, given the manner in which SEAL activities have so regularly been heralded before the American public in recent years, I'm not sure how much genuine indignation is really warranted here in the first place. Like it or not, we've turned the SEALs into a de facto PR outlet for SOCOM.

AC

This is my assumption as well. I believe the objections are more about political embarrassment than operational security. I read the whole thing yesterday. Good read.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Zhurdan
09-05-12, 09:39
I have it in .pdf..... if anyone would like to "borrow it" pm me with your email and I will "lend it to you"

I just ask that you pay it forward....

I should kick you in the nuts!!! /sarcasm :D

Dirk Williams
09-05-12, 10:03
About half way thru the book. Nothing earth shattering.

DW

Dirk Williams
09-05-12, 11:16
Time to educate Dirk.

A couple references to something called a "Pandurs" I'm not sure what that is or means. Educate me. I think it's some sort of vehicle, not sure.

DW

Reagans Rascals
09-05-12, 11:47
finished it this morning.... very good read... nothing was revealed that hadn't already been by every other book written by former DEVGRU guys, or even the damn video game Medal of Honor for that matter....

the absolute only thing I stumbled across in this book, that I wasn't already aware of... was the QUADEYE.... the Panoramic Night Vision with 4 intensifier tubes....

he makes a very good point when he says.... If his president and even his commanding admiral can give interviews and spill the beans about the operation he is more than allowed to set the damn record straight and give his side of it....

Reagans Rascals
09-05-12, 11:50
:sarcastic:
Time to educate Dirk.

A couple references to something called a "Pandurs" I'm not sure what that is or means. Educate me. I think it's some sort of vehicle, not sure.

DW

he says its an armored fighting vehicle...

Another team would come via a Pandur, an armored truck with .50 caliber machine guns and Mark 19 grenade
launchers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandur_I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandur_II

seems pretty similar to our Stryker in appearance....
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/pandur_4.jpg

But I guess you can pronounce it Pander as well.....:sarcastic:
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/pandering-Obama.jpg

Dirk Williams
09-05-12, 12:08
Thank you. A new word for me. I'm liking the book but have to agree, nothing new that hasn't been addressed in the rest of the TEAM 6 kiss and tell books

DW

Reagans Rascals
09-05-12, 18:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQMLEE_-K4E

J8127
09-05-12, 19:21
the absolute only thing I stumbled across in this book, that I wasn't already aware of... was the QUADEYE.... the Panoramic Night Vision with 4 intensifier tubes....

I don't know if they were the same thing they had but I've played with those types of NVGs before, the field of view is badass but they feel/look ridiculous lol

GTifosi
09-05-12, 19:43
And the way they look in the dark is an issue how? :p

The_War_Wagon
09-05-12, 19:54
he makes a very good point when he says.... If his president and even his commanding admiral can give interviews and spill the beans about the operation he is more than allowed to set the damn record straight and give his side of it....

Ohhhh... we ALL know how it REALLY went...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/260190_1839360312850_1505815920_31841657_5036528_n.jpg

http://image.patriotpost.us/2012-05-29-humor-ob3.jpg

I'm just waiting for the movie. :rolleyes:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/obama-geronimo.jpg

El Cid
09-05-12, 20:25
I don't know if they were the same thing they had but I've played with those types of NVGs before, the field of view is badass but they feel/look ridiculous lol

They are no big secret. They have been around for many years and the helicopter communities were anxious to get them for use while flying.

One point I haven't seen made is that the author can still get jammed up legally for releasing details that are already public knowledge. He signed an NDA. For those who haven't seen one, you agree not to discuss certain things. Those things may be commonly open pieces of information, but once you sign the NDA, you can't discuss them any longer. Is it easy to prosecute? Depends on what was released... But I would expect not. Plus, think about jury appeal. Who wants to convict a guy who helped kill UBL?? His transgression would have to be pretty severe IMO.

Reagans Rascals
09-06-12, 04:05
I'd also like to know why its been stated that current DEVGRU operators have been taken off active duty at this point following the "aftermath" of this book....

from what I can tell.... and I have read every single book written by and about former Navy SEALs... he has followed the standard practice of changing all the names of those he talks about and leaving out any identifying characteristics like family or personal histories such as home towns and colleges and so on....

there has been no "aftermath"

this is a joke... this could all even be just attempts to further his book sales... at the end of the book he challenges everyone to give to charities that support wounded warriors and states that a considerable amount of his proceeds will do the same... so maybe DEVGRU is helping him out, helping his book become "that book" and raise some extra dough....

everyone loves a scandal......

Dirk Williams
09-06-12, 09:01
Finished late last night. Good read. Interesting to me was lite ammo loads on missions. But I guess when you have force resources at your finger tips you don't need more then three spare mags and one granade

I can see a huge increase in Salomon boots, and Crye multicam sales.

Mark or whatever his name is, did a great job of making it a good read without sinking the devgru ship. His fellow team six troopers should
be proud of,this book, not run for cover.

DW

Watrdawg
09-06-12, 09:19
I was surprised also when he stated he was only carrying 3 mags and a grenade on that mission.

trinydex
09-06-12, 11:06
I'd also like to know why its been stated that current DEVGRU operators have been taken off active duty at this point following the "aftermath" of this book....

from what I can tell.... and I have read every single book written by and about former Navy SEALs... he has followed the standard practice of changing all the names of those he talks about and leaving out any identifying characteristics like family or personal histories such as home towns and colleges and so on....

there has been no "aftermath"

this is a joke... this could all even be just attempts to further his book sales... at the end of the book he challenges everyone to give to charities that support wounded warriors and states that a considerable amount of his proceeds will do the same... so maybe DEVGRU is helping him out, helping his book become "that book" and raise some extra dough....

everyone loves a scandal......

http://sofrep.com/10631/no-easy-day-author-seal-team-6/

I wonder if this analysis is true then

Dirk Williams
09-06-12, 12:20
Interesting read. I seem to agree that the big dogs got caught with their dicks hanging out for personal gain.

I can thank of no situation where the truth, no matter how embarrassing should not be told. OR where one is honest and forthright should be criticized for telling the truth.

Look at it this way. This guy puts out a book to correct a untruth. Our officials are on his donkey, after he corrects their Un truths

Yet when our elected officials lie its just business.

I know which model I try and live with.

mtdawg169
09-06-12, 12:42
Interesting read. I seem to agree that the big dogs got caught with their dicks hanging out for personal gain.

I can thank of no situation where the truth, no matter how embarrassing should not be told. OR where one is honest and forthright should be criticized for telling the truth.

Look at it this way. This guy puts out a book to correct a untruth. Our officials are on his donkey, after he corrects their Un truths

That's the problem with using the military for political gain. The White House tried to paint a pretty, politically correct picture of the actual events. War isn't pretty. The book strikes me as an attempt to set the record straight with a factual account of events, nothing more. IMHO, the circumstances under which OBL died should have never been discussed publicly by the administration. It should have been a simple, "he's dead and we confirmed his identity". The public's desire for more information should have been ignored altogether and the details should have remained secret. If they had kept their mouths shut, there would have been no need to paint it in a politically sensitive light. In this age, we all want to know the details. Personally, I'd prefer we went back to the days when no one really knew what Tier One units did and we didn't hear about their operations until they were a distant memory. I prefer our guys being mysterious and scary because of what we don't know about their tactics and capabilities. That being said, I can't blame the author for setting the record straight. They were assigned a mission, accomplished it with great skill and removed a piece of human trash from the face of the Earth. Good work in my book.

Ironman8
09-06-12, 13:14
That's the problem with using the military for political gain. The White House tried to paint a pretty, politically correct picture of the actual events. War isn't pretty. The book strikes me as an attempt to set the record straight with a factual account of events, nothing more. IMHO, the circumstances under which OBL died should have never been discussed publicly by the administration. It should have been a simple, "he's dead and we confirmed his identity". The public's desire for more information should have been ignored altogether and the details should have remained secret. If they had kept their mouths shut, there would have been no need to paint it in a politically sensitive light. In this age, we all want to know the details. Personally, I'd prefer we went back to the days when no one really knew what Tier One units did and we didn't hear about their operations until they were a distant memory. I prefer our guys being mysterious and scary because of what we don't know about their tactics and capabilities. That being said, I can't blame the author for setting the record straight. They were assigned a mission, accomplished it with great skill and removed a piece of human trash from the face of the Earth. Good work in my book.

SEALs seem to get alot of flak for writing books and doing interviews and whatnot, but the above couple of posts hit on something that I think is the driving factor behind them stepping away from their usual quiet professionalism and into the spotlight.

The media, for whatever reason, singles out SEALs as the premier fighting force our military has to offer (especially DEVGRU), wet themselves as soon as they can get a "story" on them, and as usual, get 90% of the "facts" completely wrong! Since these guys don't want to be painted in a false or fallacious light, they feel it is their duty to set the record straight.

Marcus Luttrell is a good example with the Operation Redwing story. He says in his second book that he wrote "Lone Survivor" to set the record straight and correct the media's story. He also said that he had to be convinced to do it, and wasn't really fond of the idea at first.

Of course, I'm not a SEAL, nor am I trying to speak for them, but its just something that I've noticed or inferred so take it for what it's worth.

Dirk Williams
09-06-12, 13:45
Good points. Those guys know their right. Their brass knows their right.

The difference is Mark Owen has nothing to lose now. His leadership have everything to lose if they are still active. The politics of politics sucks.

DW

S-1
09-06-12, 13:46
http://sofrep.com/10631/no-easy-day-author-seal-team-6/

I wonder if this analysis is true then

And the drama continues....

http://sofrep.com/11055/jack-murphy-lands-on-seal-team-sixs-target-deck/

Reagans Rascals
09-06-12, 14:13
And the drama continues....

http://sofrep.com/11055/jack-murphy-lands-on-seal-team-sixs-target-deck/

who the shit is Jack Murphy?

VooDoo6Actual
09-06-12, 15:15
who the shit is Jack Murphy?

IIRC, RANGER Sua Sponte 6 years approx.

Reagans Rascals
09-06-12, 16:03
IIRC, RANGER Sua Sponte 6 years approx.

yeah well never heard of him...

I love how simply being in any military unit whatsoever, even just simply turning wrenches, qualifies every swinging dick to have an opinion on who, what, when, where, and why assets are best utilized, at a National Command level....

VooDoo6Actual
09-06-12, 16:35

I love how simply being in any military unit whatsoever, even just simply turning wrenches, qualifies every swinging dick to have an opinion on who, what, when, where, and why assets are best utilized, at a National Command level....

Check.

He's conversely most likely never heard of you as well. Remember we have the ability to voice our opinions whether you agree or disagree. What's even bigger than that truth & concept is that 1st amendment right is going to be reduced or severly if this agenda goes down. He's made some good points in the past even if they were unpopular w/ Command et al regarding women in Ranger Batts etc.
He's real deal.

Keeping your eye on the bouncing ball is tough, that's the real fight imo.

Reagans Rascals
09-06-12, 16:46
comments weren't specifically targeted at him, as I really have no idea who he is or even have an opinion on him one way or another... just voicing a concern about things that have ever-so recently began to propagate in from the ether....

its ridiculous to ever even mention substituting the 75th or CAG in DEVGRU's place.... I understand loyalties and preferences and fanboyism and all that shit... but lets be realistic here... DEVGRU got the tap this time... that's all there is to it... so there really is no way to say ____ woulda done it better... because they didn't get the job... so its asinine to interject and hypothesize about "perfect world" scenarios...

its just as easy to say we shoulda just sent in The Expendables.... or why not just Steven Seagal with his beer gut, ponytail and TIER 1 NAW'LINS Cajun assault team...

just the MMQB's and shoulda-woulda-coulda's.... just gets tiresome constantly hearing about almost every situation we run across...

never once... have I ever heard of a situation happening and the only thing said by anyone was "great job, well done" or " I would have done exactly the same"

wouldn't matter if the situation was literally perfect and was executed flawlessly.... some hsld internet admiral will tear it apart with his (or her) infinite wisdom and experience

every single time I read another mmqb post or blog or comment or w/e... I just picture them in their chair...grinnin like a opossum eatin a sweet potato... and then the scene from The Grinch comes on.... only this time it says "and his dick grew 3 sizes that day..."

Arctic1
09-06-12, 18:32

He was with 5th SF Group as well, as an FYI.

VooDoo6Actual
09-06-12, 18:43
comments weren't specifically targeted at him, as I really have no idea who he is or even have an opinion on him one way or another... just voicing a concern about things that have ever-so recently began to propagate in from the ether....

its ridiculous to ever even mention substituting the 75th or CAG in DEVGRU's place.... I understand loyalties and preferences and fanboyism and all that shit... but lets be realistic here... DEVGRU got the tap this time... that's all there is to it... so there really is no way to say ____ woulda done it better... because they didn't get the job... so its asinine to interject and hypothesize about "perfect world" scenarios...

its just as easy to say we shoulda just sent in The Expendables.... or why not just Steven Seagal with his beer gut, ponytail and TIER 1 NAW'LINS Cajun assault team...

just the MMQB's and shoulda-woulda-coulda's.... just gets tiresome constantly hearing about almost every situation we run across...

never once... have I ever heard of a situation happening and the only thing said by anyone was "great job, well done" or " I would have done exactly the same"

wouldn't matter if the situation was literally perfect and was executed flawlessly.... some hsld internet admiral will tear it apart with his (or her) infinite wisdom and experience

every single time I read another mmqb post or blog or comment or w/e... I just picture them in their chair...grinnin like a opossum eatin a sweet potato... and then the scene from The Grinch comes on.... only this time it says "and his dick grew 3 sizes that day..."

Solid copy Lima Charlie.

I think sooner than later many people are going to find out or in the process of that the powers that be Rothchilds'/Banking Cabal et al view us all as "The Expendable's" not just Tier 1 units or otherwise for that matter.

Mjolnir
09-06-12, 21:00
I don't expect this book to be the absolute truth anymore than the Pentagon but I'll definitely read it.

Dirk Williams
09-06-12, 21:58
Speaking for me, I'd much rather hear the story from the man on the ground then the man in the box a zillion miles away.

He saw what he saw, he heard what he heard and he shot the **** out of who he shot the **** out of. No bravado, no chest pounding simple straight forward this is what happened, this is what I say, heard and did.

Pretty straight forward to me.

Hope you do read the book , think you will enjoy it.

DW

Mjolnir
09-07-12, 04:35
Speaking for me, I'd much rather hear the story from the man on the ground then the man in the box a zillion miles away.

He saw what he saw, he heard what he heard and he shot the **** out of who he shot the **** out of. No bravado, no chest pounding simple straight forward this is what happened, this is what I say, heard and did.

Pretty straight forward to me.

Hope you do read the book , think you will enjoy it.

DW

And it's still pre-reviewed by those who have a lot to conceal.

Again, it will probably be an exciting read.

glocktogo
09-07-12, 13:24

From a different perspective, the administration/DoD puts out an altered story that doesn't tell the truth of the raid. Along comes the SEAL and tells the real truth. The planted story is debunked and everyone knows the real truth now. The SEAL has given up actual information, while the administration hasn't. See where they could come after the SEAL?

It's bullshit of course and the administration was just trying to score political points (reinforced by Biden at the DNC). That won't stop them from spinning it the other way though. :(

Clint
09-07-12, 14:58
Great read.

Just finished it last night.

Irish
09-07-12, 19:55
The author is being interviewed on 60 Minutes this Sunday for those interested.

Cagemonkey
09-08-12, 19:33
Just finished it today, Saturday Sept 8th. Pretty good read. I didn't detect anything that would be considered confidential that would violate OPSEC and endanger any future operations or lives of SEAL personnel. I don't see any real reason for all the controversy. Other current Navy SEAL's have written books. Marcus Luttrell/ Sole Survivor, Chris Kyle/ American Sniper and Brandon Webb/The Red Circle. IMHO, Mark Owen was singled out because of Politics. He exposed the Obama Administrations lie/propaganda about how Usama was really killed. For telling the truth, his real identity has been exposed, the SEAL community is supposedly ostracizing him and is barring him from any formal associations or gatherings and one of the SEAL charities has said it wouldn't accept any proceeds donated from the sale of his book. Talk about getting ****ed.

Reagans Rascals
09-08-12, 20:00
..... and one of the SEAL charities has said it wouldn't accept any proceeds donated from the sale of his book

hahahahahaha

never seen a greedy hand turn down money before... that's a real hoot

I'd say ok **** it, you're not getting my millions of dollars...

Dirk Williams
09-08-12, 20:47
I think /hope things blow over for this guy. I could not go thru soooo much with so few and then have decade long good friends who I humped with turn their backs and stop the relationship.

These kind of men are truly a rare breed, I hope common sense prevails regarding friendships and the work they have done.

Understand disappointment, air it out, get over it, move thru it.

When you get to that level of commitment, not even the other tier one guys are in that circle, it's small and it's a tight circle as it shou
D be.

When it's all done and said, these men will remain life long friends. They won't walk away there to much individual investment from each one of these guys they are friends for life.

DW

Dirk Williams
09-10-12, 14:48
Anybody catch 60 minutes last night. Thought Mark did a fine job about clarification on the OBL gig. Mark appeared a little nervous to me.

DW

Watrdawg
09-10-12, 15:08
I finished it up over the weekend and it's a decent read. Nothing any different than other books authored by various SEALS. Unfortunately the author is catching a boat load of crap for no reason. I bet a lot of this is coming down on top of him because the Govt. doesn't have a legal means to prosecute him so they are using every bit of pressure they can come up with to punish him any way possible.

Irish
09-10-12, 15:13
Anybody catch 60 minutes last night. Thought Mark did a fine job about clarification on the OBL gig. Mark appeared a little nervous to me.

DW

I watched it and got quite a bit from the program. The nervousness you mention I would attribute to not being used to having lights and cameras in your face and also knowing you're going to be on national television having everyone scrutinize you. All in all I think he did a good job.

mtdawg169
09-10-12, 15:23
I watched it and got quite a bit from the program. The nervousness you mention I would attribute to not being used to having lights and cameras in your face and also knowing you're going to be on national television having everyone scrutinize you. All in all I think he did a good job.

Is the interview available online? Didn't get to see it last night.

militarymoron
09-10-12, 17:05
I think /hope things blow over for this guy. I could not go thru soooo much with so few and then have decade long good friends who I humped with turn their backs and stop the relationship.

i hope so too. the author and i have corresponded for almost two years now, mostly discussing gear and new equipment/designs - we have a lot of mutual contacts in industry. in all our exchanges, he's always come across as down-to-earth and intelligent, both before and after they took out UBL.

anyways, since this book thing blew up, and not knowing what to believe, i asked him this past weekend whether his former team mates were supportive or against it, and he said that they were supportive.

SW-Shooter
09-10-12, 17:26

DW

You mean Matt, right? Mark is a pseudonym.

SW-Shooter
09-10-12, 17:27
Is the interview available online? Didn't get to see it last night.

Yes, on 60 minutes.com, in 4 parts with tons of advertisements.

Dirk Williams
09-10-12, 18:47
MMthats really good to hear. These guys did their jobs. Nothing more nothing less. For some turd in a punch bowl in the pentagon to even suggest that this guy crosses the line is ****ing retarded.

Can you imagine where this nation would be if our leaders were able to be truthful.

Gonna go out on a limb here but I believe the the majority of US citizens admire and support his actions. It was the right thing to do.

DW

I also thought he did a good job on 60 Minutes.

glocktogo
09-10-12, 20:38
I thought he came off as a solid team player. The only way the .gov could come after him as a civvie would be in federal court. There's not a jury in the country that would convict this guy. Let em try! :D

BrigandTwoFour
09-10-12, 21:02
Latest word is that the DoD may try to seize all profits made from this book. The claim is that the author signed a NDA and then violated the contract by not submitting the manuscript for review by the DoD. The issue is being handled by the same divisions of DoD and DoJ that prosecutes spies.

http://sofrep.com/11246/no-easy-day-no-easy-profit/

SMETNA
09-12-12, 05:16
Does this book explain why OBL's body was disposed of so quickly?

"Because we had to be respectful" doesn't exactly sit well with me.

mtdawg169
09-12-12, 06:20

The book doesn't go near that topic.

Reagans Rascals
09-12-12, 07:59

the book only says it was immediately turned over to the Rangers (after a photo op of course), taken to the U.S.S. Carl Vincent and disposed of.... why the rangers would take his body to a Naval Vessel and not the SEAL team that got him.... is beyond me....

Voodoo_Man
09-12-12, 09:31
Just finished it up this morning.

It read well and I would recommend it to others but remember, this could all be bs. Just because there are pictures, diagrams and there is info in there that is not readily available online does not mean everything in the book is complete fact. Maybe I am just skeptical, I tend not to believe much of what I read without questioning and confirming.

I do believe that many of the experiences in the book were factual and that the main part of the book had to do with a detailed explanation of the raid. Other than that, unless you know someone on the teams, how would you confirm anything?

Reagans Rascals
09-12-12, 09:36
Just finished it up this morning.

It read well and I would recommend it to others but remember, this could all be bs. Just because there are pictures, diagrams and there is info in there that is not readily available online does not mean everything in the book is complete fact. Maybe I am just skeptical, I tend not to believe much of what I read without questioning and confirming.

I do believe that many of the experiences in the book were factual and that the main part of the book had to do with a detailed explanation of the raid. Other than that, unless you know someone on the teams, how would you confirm anything?

bingo..... its called TRUST BUT VERIFY....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6y5eI01XE

markm
10-10-12, 13:11
Read this book yesterday. Pretty good. I didn't find that there was a lot of scary details released.

And I can appreciate the frustration of the author listening to the brainless media totally fuX0r up the events.

I like how bin laden went down without an ounce of fight like a true coward.

I don't get why they didn't have the lift problems with the Helos in practice raids though.

Voodoo_Man
10-10-12, 13:15
Read this book yesterday. Pretty good. I didn't find that there was a lot of scary details released.

And I can appreciate the frustration of the author listening to the brainless media totally fuX0r up the events.

I like how bin laden went down without an ounce of fight like a true coward.

I don't get why they didn't have the lift problems with the Helos in practice raids though.

From what I understand, from doing some other research outside this book, when they were training inside of having actual solid "walls" they had chain linked strands to signify the walls...air passed through easily whereas actual built walls would not let air pass through.

Live and learn.

markm
10-10-12, 13:21
That makes sense. Damn shame to have to blow that chopper to bits... but worth it all in the end.

Voodoo_Man
10-10-12, 13:34
That makes sense. Damn shame to have to blow that chopper to bits... but worth it all in the end.

Amazing no one was hurt, I've seen the aftermath of a helicopter crash (non-mil, commercial, local) and it is very bad news.

VooDoo6Actual
10-10-12, 13:40
Pics of Mock up of Target @ Harvey Point

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/OSBLMockUpSiteharveyPointNC5.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/OSBLMockUpsiteHarveyPoint3.jpg

mtdawg169
10-10-12, 14:15
Pics of Mock up of Target @ Harvey Point

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/OSBLMockUpSiteharveyPointNC5.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/OSBLMockUpsiteHarveyPoint3.jpg

Funny that this came up today. I just saw the pics on Fox.

VooDoo6Actual
10-10-12, 14:39
Funny that this came up today. I just saw the pics on Fox.

yea, it's going viral at this point.

Atlantic Wire has them as well etc.

I go to Cryptome for some interesting stuff. All open source etc.

here's the link:
http://cryptome.org/2012-info/obl-raid-mockup/obl-raid-mockup.htm