PDA

View Full Version : Terrain Model Kits

johnpuga1982
09-04-12, 10:04
Anyone on here have any advice for building a terrain model kit? What worked and did not work for you?

HES
09-04-12, 16:05
What are you looking to build one for? In my current life I build terrain models for scouts these days so they can get their 1st class rank or Orienteering Merit badge. However what I do today is what I did way back when...I used multiple containers of different colored sand that you pick up from any art supply store like Michael's or hobby lobby. I build the models out of the dirt and sticks and mosses / lichens I can find, then sprinkle the required sand to simulate water or grass or what not. At the end of the day it's easy to dispose of

Or are you looking for something permanent that you can transport and reuse? Say something on a 2'x4' 4' x 4' piece of plywood? If so your best bet is to hit up Michael's / hobby lobby or a hobby store that sells model railroading supplies. Short of the long plaster, strips of drywall seam repair stuff, rolled up newspaper, and masking tape are your friends. If you wanna cheat you can get rolls of plaster impregnated cloth. If you never did this stuff as a kid there are tons of "how to's" on google and Youtube. Either way these will be your best, and most importantly, cheapest, ways to do this.

johnpuga1982
09-04-12, 16:14
I recently switched from being enlisted to a cadet. Part of our packing list is a terrain model kit. It will be used to brief missions at the squad and platoon level.

telecustom
09-04-12, 17:57
For an ROTC terrain model kit, I found the following items very useful:

Yarn: Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, White
Little Green Army Men
Icons for each element Friendly and enemy (it helps to weight and laminate them) I used pennies as weights.

I'm sure you can think of other stuff too.

CRAMBONE
09-04-12, 21:02
Different colored strings (para cord, yarn etc), note cards for labeling items of importance, baby powder or other colored powder, possibly some laminated military symbols. And hell I have used plastic "army men" before.

Alot of the items I have used in the past for terrain models was gathered from the location. Sticks, twigs, sand etc.

Make sure you actually build your model to match the terrain, meaning include elevation deviations and put roads and obstacles where they actually are on your maps or sketches.

And a trick I learned was to use white string for grid lines, only make sure you space them out enough to actually work.

MrCleanOK
09-04-12, 23:10
Pretty much everything you do as a cadet will be based on basic infantry stuff, specifically squad and platoon attack battle drills.

For things that will be common to every model, I like to have laminated cards with the graphics already on them, weighted with a penny or two on the back. Things like:
CCP
OBJ
Assembly Area
Unit frames (in your case, friendly and enemy infantry squad & platoon)
Checkpoints
"Distance, Direction, Backstop" to be written on with alcohol pen
North-seeking arrow
Support By Fire & Attack By Fire position graphics
Several blank laminated cards to write in mission specific graphics

Include alcohol pens and dry erase markers to write on your blank cards. You can supplement your kit with LGAM, but they tend to make the kit bulky.

550 cord and engineer tape are more durable than yarn, but yarn is way cheaper and available in more colors.

Plan it out, supplement with materials from your surroundings, and you can put together a great terrain model kit that will fit into an empty MRE bag. Very lightweight and packable.

FM 1-02 Operational Terms and Graphics is your friend. Read through it, and see which graphic symbols will be useful to you. With terrain models, KISS is often the best approach. Putting too much detail on your model will make it cluttered and hard to understand unless you are meticulous, which you rarely have time for. A good litmus test for when your terrain model is "done", is to have a buddy that doesn't know the operation look at your model and tell you what the mission is.

johnpuga1982
10-15-12, 18:08
Thanks everyone. After using the TMK a few times I've gotten a better idea of what is and isn't needed. Depending on the mission, there's anywhere from 40 to 60 mins to LD. Using the one-third/two-thirds rule to brief the OPORD doesn't give you much time. One of the things I could improve on is developing better priorities of work. Any suggestions on what subtasks I should be aware of and/or incorporating?

MrCleanOK
10-15-12, 18:33
You can pretty safely delegate paragraphs 1, 4 and 5 if you have people you can trust to do it. Paragraphs 2 and 3 are where the money is.

Delegate setting up the terrain model, with instructions for what you want on it, key terrain, etc. You can then put down your mission graphics and refine as needed.

PCIs can be delegated if you are really pressed for time, but you should make an effort to be involved.

Identify battle drills needed for the mission, and have your soldiers do rehearsals.

If you have enough time with your squad/platoon, establish SOPs and battle drills. It will help streamline the opord brief, rehearsals and the mission itself.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

MrCleanOK
10-15-12, 18:39
Also, make good use of the warno. It will allow you to stick to the 1/3 rule, and adequately plan your opord. There is a reason it is step 2 of the troop leading procedures.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

run n gun
10-15-12, 20:39
Well delegate your PCC's and your PCI should just be a spot check. I'm sure you know by now but your OPORD and terrain model are money when you're getting evaluated.

amadeus76
10-16-12, 00:11
Using the one-third/two-thirds rule to brief the OPORD doesn't give you much time. One of the things I could improve on is developing better priorities of work. Any suggestions on what subtasks I should be aware of and/or incorporating?

Prior to graduating from OBC, there will never be enough planning time for a true one-third/two-thrids rule... NEVER!! Accept it and do the best you can.

Advice...

1) Establish a good skeleton OPORD.

2) Establish your Primary and secondary teams (COB, EPW,etc...). Don't change them, it will save you time as this can be filled out prior to ever being placed to lead a mission.

3) (For training purposes) Set permanent challenge and passwords and fill these in on your skeletons. No one will ever question it.

4) Remember these words... 'No Change'.

5) Request anything and everything you could want... All they can do is deny you and you might get lucky. (On a recon mission once I requested aerial survellance over an open area the 'enemy' was in. It was granted and when the evaluator realized what he'd done, he called index. Easiest 'E' I ever got.)

6)Create some type of shorthand writing and practice it. (I always removed all vowels from words.)

7) Be a good team player... The more you are willing help others, the more willing they'll be to go the extra mile for you.

8) Never forget rehearsals... (Don't do the 'one-step' rehersals. Evaluators hate that crap!) Rehearse what to do when things go wrong, like you being 'killed'. (Evaluators eat that crap up!)

9) Always use all available time for rehersals, but NEVER miss SP!

10) Be flexible and know your battle drills... I'll be the first to admit my OPORDs always sucked, but I could adapt on the fly very well. That more than anything saved my ass during lanes.

11) Be aggressive but do not rush in blindly...

12) Talk to your Squad mates and learn their backgrounds and strengths... (We had a Sapper Graduate in my Squad who can in very handy when an 'ally stumbled into a minefield'.)

Good luck and don't overstress things... You will almost never do as badly on your lanes as you think.

mike11
01-05-13, 19:16
I see everything I use on here, but it doesnt look like anyone mentioned spray starch. If you buy starch in an aerosol can you can use it to spray your sand and it will work like a glue over top and keep it in place longer. Its good to use when you prepare a model for a brief thats going the next day, or say your in a school where multiple differant teams will brief on the same model.

Wake27
01-05-13, 20:34
http://www.optactical.com/stetamiplset.html

I gave this a shot for a little while during my MS III year. Worked well but was kind of a PITA to carry because the tube was as tall as an assault pack. I wish it had been bigger when actually laid out too. The case got beat up after a few times and the panel corners are pealing. In the end, I just used the same old TMK that everyone else uses from the LDAC TACSOP but enlarged it significantly so its easy to see and use. Dry erase markers and two cards rounded it out. One had the overall distance and direction, AA and OBJ grids, as well as distance and direction to and from ORP as well as its grid. The other was a table so I could just check what special tasks each team had.