PDA

View Full Version : using the glock NY1 spring

black22rifle
09-04-12, 16:00
i have read about how many people use a 3.5# connector in their glocks along with the NY1 spring. from what i understand the NY spring is supposed to make the pull heavier so why do they use it with the 3.5 connector? is it better than using the stock trigger spring with 3.5 connector?

madisonsfinest
09-04-12, 16:02
for me I like the reset of the NY1 trigger

ImBroke
09-04-12, 16:07
Most will probably find the combination of NY1 with the stock connector too heavy. So they use it with the 3.5 connector. That combo tends to provide a stronger reset while firming up the initial take up in contrast to the stock trigger return spring and 5.5 connector.

Ttwwaack
09-04-12, 16:14
The NY #1 bumps the trigger pull and reset. The 3.5 brings the pull down but leaves it with a stronger reset. You can lighten it further with a lighter striker spring which I removed and and went back to the standard striker spring. It was alittle too light for me. Right now I'm back to a standard connector, NY#1 and a lighter striker spring. Its better but no 1911. Play around with them to find what works for you.

NOTE: If you are going to try a 3.5 connector, go with the Glock 3.5. I had some reliability issues with an aftermarket brand.

skyugo
09-04-12, 16:23
The NY #1 bumps the trigger pull and reset. The 3.5 brings the pull down but leaves it with a stronger reset. You can lighten it further with a lighter striker spring which I removed and and went back to the standard striker spring. It was alittle too light for me. Right now I'm back to a standard connector, NY#1 and a lighter striker spring. Its better but no 1911. Play around with them to find what works for you.

NOTE: If you are going to try a 3.5 connector, go with the Glock 3.5. I had some reliability issues with an aftermarket brand.

wouldn't a lighter striker spring reduce reliability on hard primers/in bad conditions. something to consider...

I do enjoy a stout reset, i may have to give this NY1/-connector setup a try.

Voodoo_Man
09-04-12, 16:24
I use a ny1 in my duty gun with the standard connector. It sucks.

mayonaise
09-04-12, 16:28
I use a ny1 in my duty gun with the standard connector. It sucks.

It sucks, regardless of the connector you use.

black22rifle
09-04-12, 16:36

which one? i was thinking about the ghost rocket

RD62
09-04-12, 19:29
I use a Factory Glock - (3.5lb) connector and the NY1 trigger spring in conjunction with a lighter firing pin safety spring and polished connector, trigger bar, and firing pin safety a la here (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/01/glock-setup-tips/).

It gives a much more positive trigger return and reset without increasing the pull weight and the polishing helps smooth the pull.

The 3.5lb connector used with the stock trigger return spring feels slightly lighter but the reset is much less positive. I prefer the 3.5/NY1 combo. Your preferences may differ. It is easy enough and cheap enough to experiment though.

The article I linked above is excellent and goes into how everything works together to effect the pull and what should/shouldn't be tinkered with.

I notice however you do not mention what you are going to be using the pistol for. Defense/carry, competition, etc?

black22rifle
09-04-12, 19:40
this is for carry/defensive. i thought i posted that in the op.

Rayrevolver
09-04-12, 20:46
Do it. If you don't like it you are out $1.99 for the olive spring.

People say it makes the pull feel consistent like a revolver. I wish I could explain it better but the bottom line is I really like it. And yeah, the reset is majorly positive. I use Glock connectors only.

I picked up a G34 for IDPA/USPSA and mulling over whether to put in a NY1. Probably will and have everything the same.

I wouldn't change any other springs for a carry Glock.

RD62
09-04-12, 21:13

The GLOCK of mine I posted is a 17 and is currently my only handgun. Its my CCW/home defense/IDPA pistol. I run it as mentioned with a factory - connector and NY1 spring. I intend to pickup both a 19 and 26 over the next few months and both will wear the same setup.

Iraqgunz
09-04-12, 21:46
All of my Glocks sans one have the NY1+ -3.5 connector. I find it close to optimal.

oef24
09-04-12, 23:55
I tried the NY1 spring and 3.5 connector to no avail. I even had Ghost Inc install it in one of my Glock pistols and no amount of adjustment felt good to me. It doesn't hurt to try it out for yourself and see if it works for you. As for me, it failed.

O

Evil Colt 6920
09-05-12, 00:47
I put a ghost rocket in my G26. I like the lightened trigger pull and love the reset. A NY1 spring sucked for me with this connector. I didnt like the weight of pull and it was a tad "spongy". Ive got an array of springs on the way to tinker with. My original goal was to make my G26 trigger feel the same as my G34's factory trigger. But the reset with the ghost rocket is much better than my G34's reset. So I may have to file another for my G34. These parts are cheap so it's no biggie to experiment until you find a reliable combination that works for you. If I can get my 34's pull(factory) with my 26's reset(ghost rocket)on BOTH pistols while maintaining reliability, l'll be very :D Until then, the tinkering continues...

Voodoo_Man
09-05-12, 07:45

Any specific reason why you want an ny1 for carry?

polymorpheous
09-05-12, 07:58
I use a Factory Glock - (3.5lb) connector and the NY1 trigger spring in conjunction with a lighter firing pin safety spring and polished connector, trigger bar, and firing pin safety a la here (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/01/glock-setup-tips/).

It gives a much more positive trigger return and reset without increasing the pull weight and the polishing helps smooth the pull.

The 3.5lb connector used with the stock trigger return spring feels slightly lighter but the reset is much less positive. I prefer the 3.5/NY1 combo. Your preferences may differ. It is easy enough and cheap enough to experiment though.

The article I linked above is excellent and goes into how everything works together to effect the pull and what should/shouldn't be tinkered with.

I notice however you do not mention what you are going to be using the pistol for. Defense/carry, competition, etc?

Thanks for the link.
Good stuff right there.
:thank_you2:

arushus
09-05-12, 08:00
I run a NY1 trigger spring and Glock "-" connector in my carry gun, a G27. I absolutely love the feel of this setup, best way I can describe it is it doesnt feel so much like a toy, like the stock setup does. My reason for going with the glock "-" connector as opposed to a Ghost 3.5lb connector is just that I wanted to keep glock factory parts in my gun, at least as much as possible...I did go ahead and install a lighter firing pin safety spring. I would not change the striker spring at all. If you absolutely MUST go to a lower power striker spring, I highly recommend getting one from wolff. Because they make striker springs in half pound increments. The stock weight striker spring is 6lbs, most everybody's "reduced power" striker spring is 4lbs, and youre just asking for trouble. Use a 5lb spring from wolff if you must...

I highly recommend this setup, it feels much better, and it is actually a safer way to carry. With the trigger being more difficult to pull, there is less of a chance of a ND...Not only that, but I have personally seen a stock trigger spring break, Ive never even heard of a NY1 or NY2 trigger spring breaking.

P.S. If you do install a NY1, keep in mind that you have to keep the trigger depressed to field strip it. With the NY1 spring keeping upward tension on the trigger bar, it can cause the sear to catch on the slide cover plate as youre sliding the upper off if you do not depress the trigger...

Rayrevolver
09-05-12, 08:43

This article mentions the "-" connector is now called a 4.5lb instead of a 3.5lb. Did they change the spec on the connector or is it just a nomenclature change?

arushus
09-05-12, 08:47
This article mentions the "-" connector is now called a 4.5lb instead of a 3.5lb. Did they change the spec on the connector or is it just a nomenclature change?

It was just a name change...they realized it wasnt technically softening the trigger enough to warrant being called a 3.5lb connector.

Nephrology
09-05-12, 17:57
All of my Glocks sans one have the NY1+ -3.5 connector. I find it close to optimal.

I am the same way. After it gets shot a bunch it smooths out and lightens up appreciably. I prefer the lack of a "ledge" that you get with Glock triggers, so I can roll right through the striker release and maintain a truly surprise trigger break.

Magic_Salad0892
09-05-12, 20:45
NY1 + Glock 3.5 (4.5) lbs connector.

Rounded striker block. Standard striker block spring.

Polished parts.

... Perfect...

I wonder what would happen if you took it a step futher and went with the NY2 spring, and a 2 lb connector or something.

hitman488
11-05-12, 18:07
NY-1 with the 4.5lb connector, very good set up,specially on a on-duty type carry package. Very positive resets, quicker recovery times for follow up shots.;)

NCPatrolAR
11-05-12, 18:18
I tried the NY1/ (-) combo and didn't care for it. I now use a (-) connector and standard trigger spring

black22rifle
11-26-12, 13:28
Any specific reason why you want an ny1 for carry?

no i was just wondering. i ended up putting in a ghost rocket and it is amazing. i did the spaulding cut and the trigger reset is like 1/8" with no overtravel. i purchased the kit that came with a 6.0lb trigger spring and i could not really tell a difference between the stock trigger spring and the heavier one so i ended up ordering the NY1 spring.

Shadow1198
11-26-12, 16:21
I gave the NY1 + "3.5" connector what I feel was a fair shot. I ran a little over 1k rounds through my gen 2 17 over the course of a couple months and a couple pistol classes. Long story short, what I've found is this is purely a matter of personal preference and individual finger strength. To be honest, I never used a trigger scale to measure the pull. Some people say the combo makes for a ~6.5-7# pull. For me, it felt a bit closer to 8#. I did kind of like the smooth and consistent "single stage" nature of the pull and initially I thought I liked the more forceful reset. In addition, I tried a LWD 3.5 connector and noticed no real difference over the factory connector. I also tried the NY1 without it's spring, and I noticed no real appreciable difference. In the end, I felt the trigger weight was just a bit too heavy for my tastes. If it were a ~2# lighter trigger than it felt, that would probably be nice, but at the end of the day I don't feel it really matters.

If there is one thing I have found, it's that my shooting never really got significantly better until I reached the point where I no longer cared or thought about the trigger as much. My mind is on the sights. A lighter pull can help, and can make it easier, but forcefulness of the reset, consistency of the pull, for me at least it's not really an issue. In the past, when I've focused so intently on the reset, pulling through the breaking point as slow and smoothly as possible...all that mental energy was wasted and to the detriment of me losing focus from reading my sights and simply shooting the gun.

The NY1 is $1.99. That's so cheap, might as well give it a try even just for the hell of it.

black22rifle
12-12-12, 22:59
i tried the NY1 spring with the 3.5 rocket and it was way too heavy for me. i dont see how some people like that but i have smallish hands and on a gen 4 g19 my trigger finger doesnt even go past the first joint when on the trigger. i also took out the spring and only tried the plastic slip and it was better but i didnt want to ruin the reliability of the spring. i ended up just putting the 6# coil spring back in.

J_B
12-13-12, 05:07
I am running the NY1 & Ghost 3.5# Ultimate Drop In and like it enough.

I am currently running it in my Gen4 Glock 19 and was running it in my Gen3 17 but swapped it back to stock as I traded it for a Gen3 19.

As soon as I get my hands on the 19, I'll install the NY1 and Ghost 3.5# Ultimate Drop In.

I put about 400 rounds through the Gen4 with the NY1 set up. It feels good to me.

It's all about personal preferance. :happy: