PDA

View Full Version : New M&P Shield 9mm Range report

rickp
09-04-12, 19:04
This past Saturday I picked up an M&P Shield 9mm for the girlfriend, and today I got a chance to shoot it. I must say I'm very impressed with this little pistol. The main characteristic that blew me away was it's accuracy. This pistol has a 3.1" barrel and I was making head shots at 25y with no issues.
There's no arguing that one needs solid fundamentals to shoot a small frame with any degree of accuracy at distance, and this system is no different. However, in the hands of a good shooter, the pistol will perform and perform beautifully.

Initially, there's a few of characteristics I would like to change on it, the trigger pull being be the first. I think it's a bit heavy, especially for a small frame like that. I can see why some could be having accuracy issues with the 6.1LBS trigger pull. I had to really focus on my trigger to make sure my sight picture remained perfect as the shot broke.
The other characteristic I don't like is the spacer on the 8 round mag. When manipulating the mag the spacer comes apart from the mag's butt plate and it's annoying. I think a better system could have been designed.
The last feature I found pretty pointless was the safety. I don't see how that design, size and placement can be effective for a pistol used under stress. Additionally, if you're a south paw like me, you're screwed, since the safety is only on the left side. Not a big issue though, I think one can just leave it on fire (down) and not have any issues with it. The engagement of the safety is pretty solid so IMO I don't think it will engage on it's own. With that said though I can understand if some are still uncomfortable with that possibility.
Personally I wish they would have done away with it.

Besides the little sharper recoil which is expected from a small frame, the pistol shoots just fine. I haven't put enough rounds through it to give a very informed reliability report, otherwise so far we like it.

Like I said before, it's the Indian not the arrow and on small frames like these, the Indian better have solid skills if expecting to hit targets at longer ranges.

The pictures I'm showing were shot at 7 yards and 25 yards using standard 115gr ammo. I also ran some Corbon 115gr +P ammo.
The Corbon ammo ran just fine but the +P pressure was definitely more noticeable in the small frame. Regardless, it was still very manageable, even for women IMO.

All head shots at 7 yards.
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo11/rickp1/MPShield7yHeadTarget-2.jpg

25 yards. 3 head shots at 25 and 3 body shots at 25.
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo11/rickp1/MPShield25yTarget-2.jpg

BravoHotel
09-04-12, 19:11
Glad to continue hearing positive reports on this pistol. As soon as I can find one I plan to pick one up for the wife...and if she gets one it only makes sense to get one for myself. So I guess I should be looking for 2 :)

MegademiC
09-05-12, 01:46
I see this a lot, and did the same... bought one for the girl, now I'll be getting one for myself, although I have other purchases first...

I ran 200 rounds through hers in about 30-45 mins. No issues, and found the accuracy to be way above what I thought it would be. Rapid shooting at 7yds was covered by a fist. After looking at it, I noticed the sight radius was the same as my cz compact even though the gun is quite a bit larger. The shield is a lot of gun in a small package.

As for the 8rd mag issue, it hasnt caused an issue yet, but I can see it becomin one as it loosens up. When it gets to that point, Ill just superglue it to where it should be on the mag, just to prevent it from walking up - something to think about. Also, I dont know how many rounds you put through it, but my trigger got considerably better after the initial 200rnds and a bit of dryfiring. It didnt change noticably after the next 200 rounds, but its pretty damn good, but I like glock triggers so take it for what it is ;).

Good range report, and thanks for reminding me I suck at 25yds ;)

NavyDavy55
09-17-12, 05:14
Nice report.

I bought one in 9mm this past Saturday and got to shoot it yesterday.

I too was surprised at the accuracy for such a small gun.

It easily kept all the shots in COM at 25 yards.

This one is a keeper, and I'm glad it lived up to all the hype I've been reading.

plouffedaddy
09-17-12, 10:04
Great report---mine's been flawless too. Just an awesome little gun. I'll be slapping some night sights on it tonight...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1102.jpg

yellowfin
09-17-12, 11:34
How would you compare user friendliness between the Shield and the M&P9c in the aspect of relative ease of shooting accurately?

Salamander
09-17-12, 12:46
Patiently waiting for the California rostered version to become available......

sobiloff
09-17-12, 23:57

Do you have an FFL 07 near you? You can bring in a 48-state version via the single shot exemption. IMHO, that loaded chamber indicator looks crazy-huge, and that mag disconnect isn't a great idea, either.

ddnguyen9
09-18-12, 00:01
I'll be slapping some night sights on it tonight...

What kind of night sights are you putting on the Shield?

Joeywhat
09-18-12, 00:27
I've been very happy with mine. Only real issue is the lack of magazine availability.

The only issue I've had with the gun itself was right out of the box - the pin holding the mag disconnect and associated parts (goes through the sear block) was missing. Went to take down the gun and parts started falling out. I needed to remove all that crap anyways, so wasn't a huge deal. Somebody was asleep at the S&W factory that day...

But it shoots great, reasonable recoil, and trigger is easily modified to not suck. I have ATEi do all my M&P triggers. It's more or less the same as the regular M&P, so most the trigger work already available should translate.

I have a bit over 500 rounds through mine with no issues. Shot a fair amount of Ranger +P+ 9mm and recoil still wasn't too bad. Hoping to put a case or two through it before the end of the year. It conceals VERY well in my Raven Concealment holster.

plouffedaddy
09-18-12, 09:37
What kind of night sights are you putting on the Shield?

Standard 3 dot Trijicons. I put them on last night. The rear is a little wider than the dovetail but not wider than the slide so they're not going to snag on anything. I know they make Shield specific sights now but these work just fine for me...

Whiskey_Bravo
09-18-12, 11:15
I am looking forward to getting mine to the range. Got the call from Cabelas this morning that mine was finally in(got on the waiting list first part of June), dropped everything and drove to pick it up.

I will post a follow up after I am able to put a couple of hundred rounds through it. I am interested to see how it compares to my compact.

ddnguyen9
09-18-12, 13:23
Standard 3 dot Trijicons. I put them on last night. The rear is a little wider than the dovetail but not wider than the slide so they're not going to snag on anything. I know they make Shield specific sights now but these work just fine for me...

Ok thanks. The last time I checked Trijicon was in the process of developing night sights for the Shield. But that was a few months ago when I called Trijicon directly. Hopefully they are available now.

Sent from my iPhone via tapatalk

mike benedict
09-18-12, 13:42
I installed a Warren rear and a standard S&W tritium front on mine.
I like that setup just fine.

markm
09-18-12, 13:44
It would be sweet if Glock Ripped of the Shield concept. I'm impressed with the shield, mind you....

But a Glock Shield would be the kind.

MCS
09-18-12, 13:58
It would be sweet if Glock Ripped of the Shield concept. I'm impressed with the shield, mind you....

I too would love for flock to do it, but I feel that they will not. Glock owners have wanted this for some time now, please have fallen on deaf ears over at Glock.

markm
09-18-12, 14:04
I too would love for flock to do it, but I feel that they will not. Glock owners have wanted this for some time now, please have fallen on deaf ears over at Glock.

Maybe when they see these shields FLYING off the shelves, they'll finally get it.

It's funny... I've heard stories of local gun stores with signs out front that say "We have Shields in stock".

avengd7x
09-18-12, 15:30

what do you think glock would be able to do better?

yellowfin
09-20-12, 13:35

Already exists, the G36.

FVC3
09-20-12, 13:59
Already exists, the G36.

Nope, not even close. It's a single stack, but it is still a thick little beast. AND it is the only Glock that most would agree is less than stone cold reliable. They just never quite got the 36 right.

Kokopelli
09-20-12, 20:43
Well you can add me to the Shield fan club too. I'm so impressed with the little pistol in 9mm that I may just buy one in 40.. :secret: Ron

RagweedZulu
09-21-12, 13:33

I saw and fondled the Shield in 9 and 40 at a local dealer here in central Cal back in May or June. Theyre here Salamander.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-21-12, 15:43
Finally had a chance to go to the range this afternoon with my Shield 9mm.

Great little gun, and way more accurate than I thought it was going to be. After putting 150 through my M&P9 full size and another 150 through the compact, I only got 135 rounds through the shield. I was planning on 300 but I guess I need to buy more mags and have them ready. Shooting 15 rounds and then loading 15 got a little tedious.

I did have a failure to extract and a failure to eject. I was using PMC 115g ammo. I am pretty sure the first one(failure to extract) was the ammo. As soon as I pulled the trigger I knew something was up. It sounded a little different and was smoky as shit. The one that didn't eject all the way I am not sure on, but probably the ammo as well.

Overall I am pleased with the gun. It felt nice in the hand and shot well. I don't think I will have much use for the tiny little safety. As somebody else said, I am not a huge fan with the way they did the 8 round mag spacer. I had to push it back down twice.

It's also very concealable with the raven holster.

sobiloff
09-21-12, 22:08
I picked up my 9mm Shield and got it out to the range this evening. I'm very happy with it! I lubed it up a bit with Slip 2000 and then began shooting it.

The grip is thin enough that I have to think about my grip a bit; I'm used to having more in my hands with the regular M&Ps. My right thumb naturally rests against the Shield's slide lock and puts just enough pressure on it to prevent the slide from locking back on an empty mag. So, I have to float my right thumb off the side of the gun a bit to prevent that.

I did have one failure to fire on about the 12th round; click but no bang. There was a decent dent in the primer (Speer Lawman 147gr), but I chambered it again and this time it went bang.

Otherwise, it was a great time with no other malfunctions for another ~100 rounds. I shot 50 rounds of the 147gr Lawman, 50 rounds of 147gr Speer Gold Dot, and then just 15 rounds of my 147gr handloads that nearly duplicate the Gold Dots. All were just as accurate as they are in my M&P Compact, which is to say more accurate than in my M&P full-size. I don't know why, but the recoil really doesn't seem any worse than the larger M&Ps. Shot-to-shot recovery seemed about the same; maybe a little slower with the 7-round magazine, but not horribly so.

Out of the box the trigger was better than any of the other M&Ps I have shot right out of the box, and by the end of the session it was just starting to get a bit smoother through the entire press to the rear. I'll give it another 400-500 rounds before deciding whether to go with Apex parts or not.

Oh, hell, who am I kidding? I'm a trigger snob, so of course it's going to go to Apex. :D

I practiced swiping the safety on and off a bit as well. I can't get the safety on with just my right thumb at this time, so I used my left thumb to push the safety up (on). It comes off with my right thumb easily enough, but it (obviously) doesn't provide a ledge to rest my thumb on, like its larger cousins do. So, to deploy it from a holster I have to swipe the safety off and the float my thumb off the frame a bit. Not a big deal if I don't get it floated off the frame with the first shot, but it's another change to my muscle memory that I'll have to practice.

All in all, I think Smith & Wesson really has created a little gem of a pistol in the 9mm Shield.

Kokopelli
09-21-12, 22:12
I can "sort-a" swipe the safety off with my strong thumb, but not back on without changing my grip. I don't shoot with my thumb riding the safety, so no problems there.. Ron

Ed L.
09-21-12, 23:40
I did some more shooting with my 9mm Shield and for the last two shooting sessions tried it beyond 7 yards.

At 50 feet the gun seemed to shoot about three to four inches left and about four inches low. At 25 yards it seems to be shooting about six to eight inches to the left about seven to eight inches low.

When I tried it again at 7 yards at a 1" dot, I noticed that it seemed to shoot about 2" to the left. I didn't notice this before since I had been previously been shooting at larger targets at that distance which made this issue less noticable.

Now the Shield isn't a full sized gun and it isn't fair to expect it to perform as well as one. The Shield has a short sight radius which at longer distances will magnify any minor sight misallignment. But I was expecting a bit better.

I am wondering what results other people are getting at distances in terms of point of impact.

rickp
09-23-12, 10:00
I did some more shooting with my 9mm Shield and for the last two shooting sessions tried it beyond 7 yards.

At 50 feet the gun seemed to shoot about three to four inches left and about four inches low. At 25 yards it seems to be shooting about six to eight inches to the left about seven to eight inches low.

When I tried it again at 7 yards at a 1" dot, I noticed that it seemed to shoot about 2" to the left. I didn't notice this before since I had been previously been shooting at larger targets at that distance which made this issue less noticable.

Now the Shield isn't a full sized gun and it isn't fair to expect it to perform as well as one. The Shield has a short sight radius which at longer distances will magnify any minor sight misallignment. But I was expecting a bit better.

I am wondering what results other people are getting at distances in terms of point of impact.

Not sure if you saw my fist post, but I posted some pics of my target at 7y and 25y. I wasn't trying to bullseye shoot with it, but I was making head shot at 25y with no problems at all. For a 3.1" barrel I'm more that satisfied with that performance. I need to take it out to 50y and see what it does but I have no doubt it can handle the job and get consistent hits at COM as long as I do my part behind it.

R.

Ed L.
09-23-12, 13:35
Not sure if you saw my fist post, but I posted some pics of my target at 7y and 25y.

I did. It looks like yours shoots quite well. I am going to have someone else shoot my 9mm Shield and see if it does that for them as well. I have no problem with headshots at 25 yards with most of my other guns--like my Glock 17 & 19, H&Ks, etc.

TrenchArtisan
09-23-12, 15:36
Don't meant to derail the thread, but if anybody has owned both the S&W Shield and the Kahr CM9 and can recommend one over the other, I'd like to hear from you.

Redbeardsong
09-23-12, 15:47
Don't meant to derail the thread, but if anybody has owned both the S&W Shield and the Kahr CM9 and can recommend one over the other, I'd like to hear from you.

I haven't owned them, but I have handled both and shot the Shield in 9mm. The Kahr has a smaller grip. I can get my pinky on the shield, but not on the Kahr.

The Shield was much nicer to shoot than my LC9.

rotorblade
09-23-12, 20:57

I haven't owned a CM9 but I have owned a both a P9 (Bought when they first came out) and recently a TP9 (newer full length dust cover), and have had the opportunity to shoot different versions of the P series and K series guns over the years. Also I own a M&P Shield.

The C series to me is basically a el-cheap o version of the P series. Yes same frame as the P series but different slide finishing steps and cut rifling barrel, and only 1 mag. If your going to go that short a barrel you might as well spend the extra coin on the polygonal barrel, nicer slide, and extra mag. Yes the Shield has a shorty barrel too but S&W didn't decide to make two versions and and go cheapo on us with one mag and a even crappier barrel and slide finishing.
K series guns to me are like little works of all steel art. They feel made good but I never ran one hard. They are heavy though and by the time all is said and done you are better off with a Glock 26 or 19 weight wise. The P series Kahr plastic frames seem to be a little rough out of the box and a trip to David Bowie if he still works on them cleans them up a lot.
A K series should run out of the box after 300 rounds of good ammo. All M series Kahrs hurt when shot with "social ammo". But you already should know that. Kahr PM and KM series guns are on the ragged edge of whats possible with a locked breach gun, and push the limits severely. No Idea about the 380 models.
Finally if you like or are used to the Glock trigger you WILL NOT like the Kahr guns long double action trigger pull. Its not rough. But smooth and long and it takes some getting used to.

The M&P Shield 9 is day light and dark over the Kahr Guns. The one I have is very nice. Its magazine selection is gives it the best of both worlds. Shorty mag for deep cover and Big Pocket Carry. Long Mag for IWB OWB carry ect. Trigger does have a tactile and audible reset but it is not A Glock CLICK!!!! The Shield is the gun that Glock should have made 15 years ago. Striker fired, polymer frame, and single stack (Stack and a half) mag.
The safety is nice if you want it, if you don't set it to off and practice drawing and run drills to make yourself push down on it with it set to off just to get used to the feel of the safety in the off. Then practice with the safety on and know what the difference feels like. Just in case Murphy comes up at the wrong time, behind you, drops his pants and tries to bone you in the pooper. The safety is easy to take off once you get used to where it is and the little action needed to flip it off. Its recessed into the frame and has some build up around it. It is hard to put back on then to take off. I really don't see it being a problem accidentally going from off to on but you know Mr. Murphy and he is a Bastard.

The ONLY con to the shield is its slick grip. There is some texturing but its almost melted, similar to the M&P full size pistols but this is not a full size pistol, so its too slick.The front strap and the back strap can cause the gun to shift slightly during firing and make your trigger finger pad move around just a little bit on the trigger. If I focus when gripping I can make it settle down for me but you can tell its still its not locked in there. Nor is it right where I want it not locked the way I want it anyway. It feels as if it needs a little more thickness on the sides.
For me I'm going to live with it a little while before I try to texture it. I will try to do it my self without screwing it up. It seems to me now just to that it needs some roughing up on the front strap and the back strap. NOT the sides of the grip. Just the front and the back and it would lock and stay still.

Smith really hit it out of the park with the Shield and they are hard to find and a store locally quotes a price of $499 for one when they have them or $489 to order one paid up front in cash. :fie: :no::no::no: :fie: I paid $425 including tax for mine back when they first were released. Yes I want another one just for shits and giggles but not for over $450 tax and all I'll wait till the first of the year.

Go Smith. Don't go Kahr. If you still want to go Kahr rent one first and see if it gives you the warm fuzzy.

UCPOPO
09-23-12, 21:34
I may have to grab one of these badboys. Nice review.

MegademiC
09-23-12, 21:52
I did. It looks like yours shoots quite well. I am going to have someone else shoot my 9mm Shield and see if it does that for them as well. I have no problem with headshots at 25 yards with most of my other guns--like my Glock 17 & 19, H&Ks, etc.

Mine shoots well. At 25 yards every shot(16 of them) was in 8". I was way out of practice. I shot a similar group(maybe an inch smaller) with my cz that same day. I was getting consistent 4-4.5" groups a few months ago with the cz, so its me, not the gun. Id expect 5" groups or less at 25yds with this gun, in my hands, on a good day, or after I had been practicing consistently. Obviously, you may shoot much better than me - especially right now. All my time is being taken up by school and research right now, but next time out I'll see what I can come up with and post it here.

DIRTMAN556
09-23-12, 23:48

Wait no longer. Turners has it on pre-order $399

sjc3081
09-24-12, 04:53
I owned a Kahr K9 great pistol never any malfunctions.
But the spare mags when carried in pocket or mag pouch
Would eject rounds constantly. I sold the pistol and regret it.
I replaced it with a 3913 ,great gun.

cdigman
09-24-12, 09:22
Put The Hogue Handall Jr on mine, I had to trim it a bit to get it to fit right, but now I really like the way it feels. http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/Leedigman/?action=view&current=Pistol4_zps73f543bf.jpg

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/Leedigman/?action=view&current=Pistol4_zps73f543bf.jpg

SigFanM4
09-26-12, 11:03
I have read nothing but positive reviews for the Shield. It is definitely on my list of guns to check out but it is impossible to find and any LGS. I'll let the mania die down then go check it out.

Tang419
09-29-12, 14:34
It is great to see good reviews like this. I was wondering if it would be similar to a G36 in the functionality department.

Has anyone seen a 40 Sheild in person yet ?

Kokopelli
09-29-12, 15:19
It is great to see good reviews like this. I was wondering if it would be similar to a G36 in the functionality department.

Has anyone seen a 40 Sheild in person yet ?

Yes.. They are lot more plentiful than the 9mm locally.. Ron

packinaglock
09-29-12, 16:35
Yes.. They are lot more plentiful than the 9mm locally.. Ron

Yep, same thing around here.

Kokopelli
09-29-12, 17:02
I installed the APEX carry kit and XS BigDots on mine today! Cheers.. Ron

brushy bill
09-29-12, 17:25
I installed the APEX carry kit and XS BigDots on mine today! Cheers.. Ron

Ron, question for you...have you used the XS Big Dots before? Not being a wise guy, only asking because I once put them on a G22 and never could warm up to them. For me, they were only useful at close range. At distance, grps were abysmal. Maybe I'm just not using them correctly, but the rear sight doesn't provide me enough reference to maintain consistent accuracy and any gain in speed is lost as well as I struggled to get a picture that was same each time. Was thinking that maybe with the Shield being even smaller pistol issue would be exacerbated. Maybe not...if you've used them with good results happy for you. Just curious.

Kokopelli
09-29-12, 17:37
I've only shot one other pistol (Kimber Ultra) with the big dots and I liked it. I really like the express rear sight blade and do better with "dotting the i" than with three dots. This is a 7yd carry setup for me, so I'm not much worried about anything farther out. I'm a 1911 guy and and this is my first "plastic polly" pistol.. I like it, but it ain't likely to replace my 1911's.. I'll probably be at the range for a test next Thursday.. However.. I might sneak a mag through it tomorrow afternoon.. Cheers.. Ron

packinaglock
09-29-12, 18:27
Ron, question for you...have you used the XS Big Dots before? Not being a wise guy, only asking because I once put them on a G22 and never could warm up to them. For me, they were only useful at close range. At distance, grps were abysmal. Maybe I'm just not using them correctly, but the rear sight doesn't provide me enough reference to maintain consistent accuracy and any gain in speed is lost as well as I struggled to get a picture that was same each time. Was thinking that maybe with the Shield being even smaller pistol issue would be exacerbated. Maybe not...if you've used them with good results happy for you. Just curious.

I tried them on my PM9, they didn't seem to work for me either. I ended up giving them to a buddy.

fowler
09-30-12, 11:26
Not to take any pro's of the SW Shield I would venture to say that the Beretta Nano is a better slim-line 9mm . I have shot both side x side and the Nano shot better and carrys better. Both broken down side by side the Nano is a better design and better made firearm. My wife just went through the small 9mm makers and hands down her choice was the Nano. I agree with her. 700 trouble free rounds down range with real 25yard accuracy,this is not a short range belly auto. Kudo's to Berretta for a top tier product.

sobiloff
09-30-12, 11:35
Both broken down side by side the Nano is a better design and better made firearm.

Glad you like your Nano--sounds like it's a great pistol for you and your wife. However, you should be careful making comments like the above without providing any further evidence, including your personal background and expertise that makes you qualified to issue such judgements. :)

d90king
09-30-12, 11:48
would venture to say that the Beretta Nano is a better slim-line 9mm .

Uh yeah, okay, that's like, just your opinion man. :rolleyes:

Not sure I have ever heard a serious shooter put the Shield and the Nano in the same class of pistol before. The Nano is nowhere near as shootable as the Shield, not even close. Not sure if I believe you shot these side by side, because if you had, you would have seen how well the Shield performs at 25yds. Also, not sure what size your hands are, but if you are able to get a good two handed firing grip on the Nano they must be really, really small.

I have shot them side by side and IMHO they weren't even close...

ra2bach
09-30-12, 12:22
Not to take any pro's of the SW Shield I would venture to say that the Beretta Nano is a better slim-line 9mm . I have shot both side x side and the Nano shot better and carrys better. Both broken down side by side the Nano is a better design and better made firearm. My wife just went through the small 9mm makers and hands down her choice was the Nano. I agree with her. 700 trouble free rounds down range with real 25yard accuracy,this is not a short range belly auto. Kudo's to Berretta for a top tier product.

is the Nano the one without a slide stop? how can this even be considered a real combat pistol :confused:

Abraxas
09-30-12, 12:30
It's funny... I've heard stories of local gun stores with signs out front that say "We have Shields in stock". You don't see that in my area, they are vaporware.

fowler
09-30-12, 15:21
I for one do not use the slide stop on any 1911,Glock ,Sig,browning Highpower. I allways use the slingshot method for reloads and many do allso. I have been gunsmithing for near 40 some years and the fit and finish of the Nano is very well done. The Nano or shield are not full blown combat pistols . Do not compare them to full size auto's. They are classed as sub-compact,not compact or full size. Both are nice auto's in the Sub-compact arena. My wife likes the Nano and it fits her needs or anybodys for that matter. I am not a fanboy of the Nano or Shield. I do like the G26 and Sig 228. Rule number one have a gun and if it is Shield you are armed.

sobiloff
10-01-12, 15:20
I for one do not use the slide stop on any 1911,Glock ,Sig,browning Highpower. I allways use the slingshot method for reloads and many do allso.

Interesting. I agree that slingshotting the slide is a great technique for loading a round into the chamber, but doesn't it make it hard to clear a Type 3 (feedway stoppage) malfunction without using the slide stop?

I have been gunsmithing for near 40 some years and the fit and finish of the Nano is very well done.

Thanks for that--the background helps us understand your perspective.

ra2bach
10-04-12, 17:23
I for one do not use the slide stop on any 1911,Glock ,Sig,browning Highpower. I allways use the slingshot method for reloads and many do allso. I have been gunsmithing for near 40 some years and the fit and finish of the Nano is very well done. The Nano or shield are not full blown combat pistols . Do not compare them to full size auto's. They are classed as sub-compact,not compact or full size. Both are nice auto's in the Sub-compact arena. My wife likes the Nano and it fits her needs or anybodys for that matter. I am not a fanboy of the Nano or Shield. I do like the G26 and Sig 228. Rule number one have a gun and if it is Shield you are armed.

so how do you get the slide to lock back without using an empty mag?

regardless of the size, if you're carrying it as a defensive pistol, it's a combat pistol. no slidestop = garbage...

fowler
10-05-12, 06:03
When carrying a automatic I don,t know anybody that carrys there automatic with the slide locked open. What is your point? In a pocket 9mm the point is mute. I do not see a need on the micro 9mm the Nano it locks open when its empty for a reload. Its a throw in the pocket ccw pistol thats light years ahead of the pocket 380,s that most people carry like the Ruger LCP,( crappy-little -pistol). For the average ccw holder I don,t see a running swat gunfight . Most ccw carry a little underpowered 380 or five shot snubnose. The Nano or SW shield is a improvement over them. But in truth a 5-shot snubby is all you hope you never need. I prefer the G26 as the smallest I carry. I am glad my wife got rid of that LCP 380 acp and got a big improvement with her Nano.

Magsz
10-05-12, 13:20
Fowler, you're digging a pretty deep hole here man...

All auto's can have feedway stoppages. There is one, very EASY way albeit time consuming to clear such a malfunction and it involves a slide stop.

The prospect of having to rip magazines out of a nano sized (HA) pistol that has a serious feedway malfunction is not something that i would find entertaining or inviting.

Anyone that has ever had a REAL feedway malfunction, ie not one set up in training knows how awesome they are and how ridiculously tough it can be to rip a magazine out of the magwell.

If you like your Nano, that is absolutely fine but please do not make authoritative statements about its design. It lacks one very important feature and this cannot be disputed.

nc_556
10-05-12, 13:45
I for one do not use the slide stop on any 1911,Glock ,Sig,browning Highpower. I allways use the slingshot method for reloads and many do allso. I have been gunsmithing for near 40 some years and the fit and finish of the Nano is very well done. The Nano or shield are not full blown combat pistols. Do not compare them to full size auto's. They are classed as sub-compact,not compact or full size. Both are nice auto's in the Sub-compact arena. My wife likes the Nano and it fits her needs or anybodys for that matter. I am not a fanboy of the Nano or Shield. I do like the G26 and Sig 228. Rule number one have a gun and if it is Shield you are armed.

The lack of a slide stop makes the Nano a non-starter for a serious EDC weapon for me. It might make an interesting range toy, but not a serious carry weapon. One could argue that it's reliable in feeding enough that a double feed is unlikely but that would never be good enough for me to bet my or my family's life on it. As with any mechanical device it's not a matter of if but rather when. Clearing a hard double feed without a slide stop would be nerve racking at best under stress, deadly at worst.

Designing a modern semi auto pistol without a slide stop seems ridiculous to me. That's clearly a gun designed by an engineer and not a shooter (or at least an engineer that doesn't shoot).

fowler
10-05-12, 14:43
Pocket guns are last ditch weapons not combat guns,of course one would allways have a Hold open on a full size or compact pistol. The Nano is not a combat pistol ,but a pocket pistol like the Walther PP-PPK series that have filled that role for 75 years. Hello don,t you know that the ppk doe,s not have a hold open lever? And it to has been used by many in the pocket pistol role by many for over 7 decades. I can see we don,t know the difference between a pocket auto and a serous combat pistol. I will agree a primary Combat pistol will have a hold open lever. As far as the Nano it is a very good pocket auto and serves my wives purpose very well. Better than the Ruger LCP 380 she used to carry. I do not carry the Nano,but I would if I needed a reliable well made,accurate,controllable pocket auto for back-up or deep concealment. Light years ahead of all those winny 380,s by used most for ccw.

Magsz
10-05-12, 14:58
It is 2012, i really dont care that a PPK has been in use for 70 years WITHOUT a slide stop.

EVERYTHING changes and in 2012 we have weapons available to us in the "subcompact" size bracket that are FULLY featured.

Also, what the HELL is a "combat" weapon. Im not in COMBAT, ive never BEEN in combat and if i have to shoot an assailant in the face because i am in fear of my life i am STILL not in COMBAT.

Drop the dumbass terms and discuss the actual point.

In 2012 we have OPTIONS for alot of great pistols. People have presented a reason as to WHY the Nano is an inferior choice when compared with the Shield or pistols of its ilk such as the PPS.

We do FACTS here, not wild assumptions based on emotional attachment or favoritism.

Kokopelli
10-05-12, 15:43
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/Smilies/deadhorsebeat_2.gif

Just saying.. Ron

fowler
10-05-12, 16:18
I suggest we stick to the Sw Shield that is the topic,not your pistol clearing double feeds and jam,s which sounds troublesome. My Nephew has a 40SW Shield and he doe,s not care for the recoil. He would like to get one in 9mm. For now he will use his SW MP compact 9mm intill he can trade the 40sw Shield off and get a 9mm Shield.

carbinero
10-10-12, 18:01
Thanks for the great info. I tried to make a Kahr PM9 work, and thankfully Sportsmans gave me full credit toward a G26, which has worked fine for years. I've looked briefly at plenty of contenders (nano, solo, lc9...) but this looks like the first one I'd consider jumping G-ship for. When the M&P line got vetted here at M4C, I started watching, and I'm happy to be seriously considering USA built.