PDA

View Full Version : First build. Some advice?

RMiller
09-05-12, 12:48
Not my first AR, but my first build and will be my first quality AR. I fell into the DPMS trap on my first carbine, tried to make it better....I did, but still wasn't good enough. So I sold it and funded this little project. I've gone as far as working a second job to fund this project, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Here's some of parts accumulated thus far:

Upper:
- PSA 16" A2 barrel 1:7
- midlength gas system
- Troy battle rail 9"
- Noveske upper receiver
- BCM M16 bolt and carrier
- VLTOR gunfighter charging handle
- Aimpoint micro with LaRue tall mount

Lower:
- LBR Lower
- DSA buffer tube
- Spikes heavy buffer and spring
- Magpul CTR buttstock
- ALG Defense ACT trigger
- B.A.D lever
- Boonie Packer RediMag

My questions come into play with the gas block. My only stipulation is it has to be a clamp on. I really like the thought of a fsb. Looking at the armalite A2 clamp on. Any feedback?? Feel free to suggest changes, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Ryan.

Hmac
09-05-12, 13:06
IMHO, a clamp-on gas block takes you back toward the DPMS level of reliability and quality. If you're going to use a gas block, I'd go with one that's dimpled and pinned. If you opt for FSB, taper-pinned.

MidwestRookie
09-05-12, 13:10
I don't get it...why does it have to be clamp-on?

RMiller
09-05-12, 13:38
Is it really worth sending it off to be pinned? I mean I found a test on a Vltor clamp on that didn't move till 100ft/lbs of torque and at that point it actually damaged the reciever and started to shear the barrel alignment pin. To me the armalite clamp design appears the the same. I can tell the short comings of a YHM style clamp on right off the bat. That and I really don't trust set screws.

If I do go pinned fsb, is there somewhere I can send it off to? This build will be going together pretty soon and I don't want the barrel gone for 2 months or longer.

Split66
09-05-12, 14:04
ADCO maybe? Considering the gas block plays a massive role in the reliabilty sector get it pinned........

RMiller
09-05-12, 14:25
Just looking around online ADCO seems to be the place. But $130 seems a little steep.

Surf
09-05-12, 14:46
If you like the FSB I am not sure why you didn't opt for the pinned FSB option from the manufacturer from the start?

You will probably fine with a quality clamp on FSB, but it is not as optimal IMO as a pinned FSB. On the plus side you have a great quality red dot. ;)

Shabazz
09-05-12, 14:50
IMHO, a clamp-on gas block takes you back toward the DPMS level of reliability and quality.

This.

In case you do go with a clamp on gas block, make sure your free float forend completely covers it for protection purposes.

Split66
09-05-12, 15:16
Just looking around online ADCO seems to be the place. But $130 seems a little steep.

It's worth it. Look how much you spent garnering quality components, why not go the extra mile and make her bulletproof reliable? No reason to try and re invent the wheel now.......hell you could sell off the bad lever and redimag to help fund the excursion if necessary... all that crap is pale in comparison to your gun going bang everytime :D:D

RMiller
09-05-12, 15:18
If you like the FSB I am not sure why you didn't opt for the pinned FSB option from the manufacturer from the start?

You will probably fine with a quality clamp on FSB, but it is not as optimal IMO as a pinned FSB. On the plus side you have a great quality red dot. ;)

The FSB didn't attract my attention till after I had purchased the barrel. Plus the barrel was on sale and almost a steal. If I could have done it over again, the barrel would have been purchased with a fsb already pinned to it. But then again its a pain to find a barrel with a 1:7 twist 16" long and with a midlength gas port, let alone with a fsb already pinned. Most I found were already sold out, discontinued, etc. I would trade for one in a heartbeat....lol

RMiller
09-05-12, 15:30
It's worth it. Look how much you spent garnering quality components, why not go the extra mile and make her bulletproof reliable? No reason to try and re invent the wheel now.......hell you could sell off the bad lever and redimag to help fund the excursion if necessary... all that crap is pale in comparison to your gun going bang everytime :D:D

It's definitely not a money issue, I just think I'm rushing myself into finishing this rifle. It's just annoying having all these parts sitting in a drawer and not assembled.

I think I'm boiled down to 2 options. Sell the PSA barrel and buy a quality barrel with a fsb pinned, or send the current one off to ADCO to be pinned.

After talking with a few local shops, none of them strike me as capable.

Hmac
09-05-12, 16:27
I bought a BCM stripped barrel for an SBR I was building. I ultimately decided to go with an FSB, so I bought the FSB from BCM, sent the barrel and FSB to ADCO to have it installed, also including the barrel nut so that they could slip that on before pinning the FSB. They did a great job, had it back in a reasonable time frame (don't remember the exact time frame). IIRC, it would have been marginally cheaper to have just sent them the barrel and nut and have them supply the FSB for the $130 package they advertised. Possibly a clamp-on FSB would have been "good enough", but I was aiming higher than that.

clmarshall21
09-05-12, 16:41
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1655

They did a flawless job on mine when they assembled my upper. If you have them assemble the upper, pinning the gas block is included in the cost of assembling the upper.

RMiller
09-05-12, 17:55
Alright! I went ahead a threw an email their way. I've purchased a few things from Rainier before, but didn't know they offered gunsmithing services. Thanks!

White.Lightning
09-06-12, 10:44
I have the Aimpoint Micro T1 and a standard FSB. I want to get a low profile gas block in lieu of the FSB. I don't care for the co-witness as this rifle is a range toy. I want to replace the FSB with a low profile pinned gas block, and some form of flip up front sight. I'll look into the Rainier gunsmithing option for my needs as well

Thanks for the link.

wahoo95
09-06-12, 10:58
I have the Aimpoint Micro T1 and a standard FSB. I want to get a low profile gas block in lieu of the FSB. I don't care for the co-witness as this rifle is a range toy. I want to replace the FSB with a low profile pinned gas block, and some form of flip up front sight. I'll look into the Rainier gunsmithing option for my needs as well

Thanks for the link.

Why not just shave your FSB down?? Its cheaper and easier while leaving you with a very solid set up.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/photobucket-3080-1325021482133.jpg

"Are you stuck.......living your life in the bubble?"

White.Lightning
09-06-12, 11:20
That's certainly an option. Would you leave the FSB on the rifle while doing this? Or remove it?

wahoo95
09-06-12, 11:24
That's certainly an option. Would you leave the FSB on the rifle while doing this? Or remove it?

It can be done while still on the barrel, however I always remove it since its only held on by two pins. This allows me also remove the handguard cap and greater flexibility in shaping with no worries of damaging the barrel since I shape it using a bench grinder.

RMiller
09-06-12, 11:48

Thanks for the link.

With the LaRue mount its a lower 1/3 cowitness. So truthfully while just looking through the aimpoint the fsb can be ignored. It isn't like an eotech or low mounted aimpoint where the dot is sitting on the front sight post.

And since I plan to use this in a possible shtf, home defense, and tactical type training. The fsb becomes more appealing.

I'm not a big believer of backup sights. If I would ever have a rear sight on my rifle it would be a fixed like a Daniel Defense. IF ,and that's an IF, my aimpoint ever failed I'd use the tube as a ghost ring and the fsb. Simple and crude, but effective at closer ranges.....but instant. No fumbling with flip ups.

Hmac
09-06-12, 17:07
I don't know if Rainier does FSB's or not..you could call them. Alternatively, John Hwang is very responsive to email.

I built another SBR with a second BCM barrel. I bought a DD Lite rail from Rainier and a VLTOR lo-pro gas block, clicked on the "purchase install gas block" option at Rainier, then sent them the barrel. They slipped the DD Lite barrel nut on then pinned the Vltor gas block. I use that rifle with a flip-up Troy front sight. It's been a great combo. The green SBR works well with the FSB and T-1 with Larue tall mount.

http://SSEquine.net/sbrboths.jpg

RMiller
09-06-12, 17:27
I like.

RMiller
09-09-12, 18:44
Going to end up going with ADCO for the FSB pinning. Rainer has yet to get back to me on whether they will pin a FSB.

I also battled with myself on what type of sling to run. A 2 point convertable to 1 point is what I decided on. More likely a blue force VCAS and a IWC QD Triglide. QD swivels at both ends. I still may end up considering a VTAC, but don't know if I could stand the loose tail.

TehLlama
09-09-12, 22:53
The VCAS is a solid choice - your notion of the what parts to use on this carbine seems to be improving, so you'll end up with a really solid gun.

I'd leave out the ACT trigger, the RediMag, and BAD lever if it means being able to get a BCM 16" Middy factory with the 9" handguard of your choosing. All three of those are into the diminishing returns category of gains - and if you're already putting in tons of extra hours to fund this, THOSE items should wait. Nothing against them at all, but I have redimags sitting unused in my closet, you may end up with a good enough stock trigger that the ACT is a poor relative value [compared to some stock triggers, it's night and day - some not so], and while I use exclusively BAD levers myself, you still need to be familiar with the standard manual of arms first.

Fixed FSB and a lower 1/3 mount (LT, ADM, DD) works great. This is THE option down the road for optic, although there's a lot to be said for the AP PRO as well, if a few ounces is of little consequence to you on the final rifle.
The DD micro aimpoint mount wins the value argument once again, even over the VFZ version of the LT.

Honestly, the only reason to go with a TROY rail over the setup HMac has on his green carbine is that you get a simpler weapon mounted light installation onto the top rail (not that the IWC one is bad, just that you can more easily run something like the VTAC mount and a surefire with the TROY 12:00 rail).

The other alternative would be picking up a complete 16" Middy FSB (Pinned) existing upper, and then installing something like a Centurion 9.0 C4 rail (or FSB Middy); or even the DD Omega 9.0 handguard - if you're not running a magnified optic, floating the handguard isn't worth the cost and hassle of having to send the upper off to remove and reinstall the whole FSB.

Merle
09-09-12, 22:58
Doesn't the KAC SR15 have a set screw gas block that isn't pinned?

Kyohte
09-10-12, 00:15
Rainier pinned a block for me. I think it cost $25 plus shipping both ways, ended up being like $75 + the gas block. I would highly recommend them.

RMiller
09-10-12, 17:43
The ACT trigger is on the list because I wanted a smooth stock style trigger. If there is a standard trigger that would offer the same, by all means, I'm open to suggestions.

RMiller
09-12-12, 23:15
Ok after doing a little more research the build has taken a slightly different turn. My build is to be simple, light weight, and effective in a quick home defense role.

old list:

Upper:
- PSA 16" A2 barrel 1:7
- midlength gas system
- Troy battle rail 9"
- Noveske upper receiver

Lower:
- LBR Lower
- DSA buffer tube
- Magpul CTR buttstock
- ALG Defense ACT trigger
- B.A.D lever
- Boonie Packer RediMag

New List:

Upper:
- Daniel Defense Barrel Assembly w/ FSB
- midlength gas system
- Magpul MOE Handguard
- Impact Weapons QD mount
- Magpul RFG foregrip
- Noveske N4 upper receiver
- Illumination Kit
- VLTOR scout mount
- Stream Light Strion

Lower:
- LBR Forged Lower
- DSA buffer tube
- Magpul CTR buttstock
- LPK from G&R Tactical, with ALG QMS Trigger
- Mission First Tactical Pistol Grip
- B.A.D lever
- Noveske QD end plate
- Boonie Packer RediMag
- Blueforce Vickers Sling
- Impact Weapons 2 to 1 point sling adapter

This new list, I think, reflects the type of mission my Carbine is to accomplish. Home defense, Reliability, and a very fun simple shooter.

RMiller
09-14-12, 19:40
All parts are ordered!! Hoping have her together in a week or two.