PDA

View Full Version : My ugly duckling SBR

Aggunner
09-05-12, 21:06
It took me about 7 months to finish the build up and I might end up tweeking it a bit here and there. I built this gun up to be as short as possible while suppressed and @ 10.5" bbl

http://aggunner.com/pictures/firearms/kac/kacm4s.jpg
http://aggunner.com/pictures/firearms/kac/kacm4s2.jpg
http://aggunner.com/pictures/firearms/kac/kacm4s3.jpg

10.5" Noveske BBL that Marvin Pitts dimpled
OPS INC M4S
KAC 8" URX 3
Aimpoint T1 on a high KAC mount
Geissele SSA
Magpul K grip
LDI CQBL
Ikickhippies sling plate

The tall KAC mount was used because I had to really squish my head down when shouldering this gun when using a standard height mount. This tall mount then prompted the CQBL because since iron sights won't work with the tall mount I figured I might as well have a visible/ir laser that *could* be used up close if my aimpoint went tits up. One thing that made a huge difference was the K grip esp when shooting in armor and having the gun mounted further inward towards my centerline. Surprisingly the M4S is more effective than i thought it would be but i'm eagerly awaiting my KAC hand stop as i've come close to touching the hot can a couple times already.

Voodoo_Man
09-05-12, 21:08
Looks nice!

What kind of armor is that?

Aggunner
09-05-12, 21:42
it's a mayflower low vis armor carrier with velocity systems IIIA concealment cut armor

lethal dose
09-05-12, 21:48
Weight?

Aggunner
09-05-12, 22:20
bathroom scale says 7.6 lbs with loaded 20rd mag

Magic_Salad0892
09-06-12, 03:48
That's badass.

I've been wondering what a 8'' URX with 11.5'' barrel would look like with a SureFire/KAC can actually.

This gives me KIND OF an idea...

rjacobs
09-06-12, 09:00
i'm eagerly awaiting my KAC hand stop as i've come close to touching the hot can a couple times already.

Every picture I have seen, and how I mounted mine on my 8" URX III, has the hand stop at the rear to help pull the gun into the shoulder. Is this not correct and it should be mounted to the front to help "stop" your hand from running up to the front of the gun?

threeheadeddog
09-06-12, 09:05
Personally I have a gear sector vert grip mounted all the way back on the tiny 6 o'clock rail and am waiting on a gear sector handstop to mount directly in front of it. The FDE ones are currently backordered everywhere though. I had to get my vfg milled at eh base though to allow clearance.

markm
09-06-12, 09:27
It's tight, Yo!

threeheadeddog
09-06-12, 09:33
I should have put it in my firest response but that is one of the most thought out 10.5's I have seen. I love it.

cgjane
09-06-12, 10:15
dude, thats not ugly. I am gonna start a thread inspired by your title.

ASH556
09-06-12, 10:37
As I mentioned on TOS, that is a thing of beauty! Simple and very effective.

kdcgrohl
09-06-12, 11:44
Best looking ugly chick I've seen in a long time...
Fine build.

Ironman8
09-06-12, 12:02
Very nice! I will have my "build" put together within the next couple of weeks, and it is very similar to yours :D I really like that old school stock!

Couple of questions:

Did you have to use that collar adapter for M4S on that 10.5" barrel?

How does the M4S sound to you on the 10.5"? Take just enough bark out to not worry about firing it indoors without hearing protection (in a defensive situation)?

TehLlama
09-06-12, 12:07
Nooooo! You suck. I wanted to be the first with that upper.

The result, however, is extremely badass. Seriously.

markm
09-06-12, 12:21
How does the M4S sound to you on the 10.5"? Take just enough bark out to not worry about firing it indoors without hearing protection (in a defensive situation)?

Have you ever shot a carbine with a suppressor indoors? With standard power ammo, it's not hearing safe no matter what the barrel length OR silencer.

Ironman8
09-06-12, 12:30
Have you ever shot a carbine with a suppressor indoors? With standard power ammo, it's not hearing safe no matter what the barrel length OR silencer.

Fully aware, which is why I didn't ask if it was hearing safe. ;)

I have one of the M4Ss waiting for the stamp to clear, so I have what I have regardless, but my line of thinking was to keep a short OAL and take SOME of the bark off the noise and blast.

markm
09-06-12, 12:33
Fully aware, which is why I didn't ask if it was hearing safe. ;)

I have one of the M4Ss waiting for the stamp to clear, so I have what I have regardless, but my line of thinking was to keep a short OAL and take SOME of the bark off the noise and blast.

I was STUNNED at how loud it is indoors. Kind of interesting. Definitely would help knock the bark down, I'm sure.

That said I still run an unsuppressed 11.5 for my house gun. :blink:

Ironman8
09-06-12, 12:36
I was STUNNED at how loud it is indoors. Kind of interesting. Definitely would help knock the bark down, I'm sure.

That said I still run an unsuppressed 11.5 for my house gun. :blink:

You must like pain :cray:

But at least you'll have an excuse for not listening to your nagging lady :p

markm
09-06-12, 12:43
You must like pain :cray:

But at least you'll have an excuse for not listening to your nagging lady :p

I try not to listen to that dizzy broad now! :mad:

Seriously though.. I asked the firearms instructor about his 10.3" M16. (He used to be on the Tactical Ops Team for the Sherrif's Office) He said it only got really bad in old plaster walled houses in the older part of town.

Aggunner
09-06-12, 18:38
Thanks guys

As I mentioned on TOS, that is a thing of beauty! Simple and very effective.

Nooooo! You suck. I wanted to be the first with that upper.

The result, however, is extremely badass. Seriously.

I've had so many uppers over the years that I'm to the point where I'm building sh1t to be unique and functional.

Very nice! I will have my "build" put together within the next couple of weeks, and it is very similar to yours :D I really like that old school stock!

Couple of questions:

Did you have to use that collar adapter for M4S on that 10.5" barrel?

I didn't use the collar adapter with this build. Contact ADCO and they have a gas block with the collar built in and will work perfectly with this setup.

I shot it in doors at work and i could feel the pressure on my ears but I didn't get any ringing. Granted I already have some hearing loss and would definitely shoot it with ear pro but if I had to rip off a magazine inside I could and still be functional.

BigLarge
09-07-12, 20:17
Any pics without the can?

billybronco
09-07-12, 22:45
god, that mount is SO hot.

do all of their pieces come with spacers?

i'd imagine it lays the irons in the lower 1/3???

thanks