PDA

View Full Version : Tested my M&P 22

maximus83
09-05-12, 22:08
Recently got an M&P 22 pistol, and got a chance to wring it out a bit today. Put about 200 rounds through it trying several types of common Remington (Golden bullet), Winchester (Wildcat), and Federal (#510) ammo. It fed, fired and extracted all 3 types equally well with no failures to feed or extract. I got a total of 3 failures to fire (2 on Rem, 1 on Federal, 0 on Win). All 3 FTF rounds fired on a second attempt.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz273/tlteebken/MP-22.jpg

Had a little trouble initially adjusting to the gritty factory trigger, which hurt my accuracy at first. I'm probably getting spoiled with my DCAEK triggers on my centerfire M&Ps :-) After I got used to the trigger, I started getting some decent groups at 25 yards.

Here are two 5-shot offhand groups when I was using Federal 510, with one called flyer:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz273/tlteebken/MP-22-TARGET.jpg

All in all I like the M&P 22 a lot. It shoots great and gives realistic, low-cost, low-recoil training with an M&P-sized pistol. I noticed that the barrel is also threaded and if you get an barrel adaptor (like the ones by Tactial Innovations (http://www.tacticalinc.com/sw-mp22-adapter-p-2579.html) and Gemtech (http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Walther-P22-S-W-M-P22-Adapter-25p21.htm)), you can attach a can.

p22shooter30
09-06-12, 08:50
i have been waiting for someone to review this. thanks. is it easy to clean? i hope you post a few more updates as you put more rounds down range with it.

DAT85
09-06-12, 09:48
I have had mine now for about 2 months.I have run about 500rds of various manufacturers ammo through it and to date,CCI STINGERS seem to be it's favorite load.

I just bought a box of WINCHESTER 37 gr HP ammo and will be giving that a try.

Personally,I think S&W ( or maybe Walther ;) ) has a winner with this one.
The worst thing so far with this pistol to occur was the 2 months it took to get extra mags from the factory !

DAT85

Redbeardsong
09-06-12, 10:34
I've shot one and really liked it. I liked having a full-sized .22 that was similar in form and function to my carry guns, as opposed to a Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark.

ra2bach
09-06-12, 12:36
I just got one - only about 1500 rds down the tube but it seems to do very well with the bulk Federal and Winchester I've used.

question - does anyone make aftermarket sights for this? I'm thinking maybe suppressor sights???

DAT85
09-07-12, 11:21
Went back to the range with the Wichester 37 gr HP loads.
Gun does NOT like 'em.It doesn't group so much as pattern.

Tried some CCI MINI-MAGS. Spot on,just like the STINGERS.
I now have 800 rds though the gun with no issues.

To the OP,I think the sights on my pistol are regulated for 15 yds.
At that range it shoots POA .( with the CCI ammo )

DAT85

Littlehendrick
09-07-12, 14:48
I enjoy mine a bunch, only a few FTF with both Federal and Remington bulk. I currently have 700 rounds through it. Great to teach people on, and very easy to clean. It is nice that it fits in the holsters for the full size (hence why I picked it up).

balance
09-07-12, 20:04
Personally,I think S&W ( or maybe Walther ) has a winner with this one.

I'm pretty sure this is an Umarex product judging only by the proof mark.

The pistols made in the Umarex plant in Arnsberg, Germany get proofed in Cologne, Germany, with the "three crowns" proof.

The pistols made in the Walther plant in Ulm, Germany get proofed in Ulm, Germany, with the "staghorn" proof.

The P22, SP22, G22, and PK380 are also made in the Umarex plant. They don't have a good reputation at all as far as durability, reliability, etc., and most Walther fans wouldn't even consider them "real" Walthers. That being said, I haven't heard the same horror stories with the M&P22 that I have with the other Umarex products made at this plant. These pistols may be made to higher standards than their other pistols.

DAT85
09-07-12, 20:35
[QUOTE=balance;1389268]I'm pretty sure this is an Umarex product judging only by the proof mark.

Well that makes it even better! :D

If the airsoft people can make a .22 that holds up to a couple dozen k worth of ammo,I will be satisfied.

The .22 AR's that they made for Colt were an abomination.

DAT85

maximus83
09-08-12, 01:41
i have been waiting for someone to review this. thanks. is it easy to clean? i hope you post a few more updates as you put more rounds down range with it.

About the cleaning, I think it's extremely easy to strip and clean. It's of course relative to other guns you've cleaned. When I compare the process of stripping, cleaning, and reassembling the M&P 22, it's nothing compared to a Ruger Mk 2/3 series .22 pistols (esp. the reassembly part).

maximus83
09-08-12, 01:56
I just got one - only about 1500 rds down the tube but it seems to do very well with the bulk Federal and Winchester I've used.

question - does anyone make aftermarket sights for this? I'm thinking maybe suppressor sights???

I've seen some threads on the S&W and M&P forums saying that standard M&P sights fit the rear. As for the front, some have been custom-fitting HiViz FO sights for the front, but I guess Dawson Precision (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT:Smith+and+Wesson+MP+.22+Front+Sights) came out with some front sights made for the M&P 22 in two different heights.

ra2bach
09-08-12, 13:14
I've seen some threads on the S&W and M&P forums saying that standard M&P sights fit the rear.

Oh really??? this would be excellent news as it's the current rear that I hate. brb... :D

Up1911fan
09-08-12, 19:01
I'm gonna swap the sight's out on mine as well. I've got a little over 1K through mine. It's back at smith for warranty work at the moment (not the gun's fault). Make's a good trainer to the M&P I carry daily.

cttbax
09-09-12, 16:25
I've seen some threads on the S&W and M&P forums saying that standard M&P sights fit the rear. As for the front, some have been custom-fitting HiViz FO sights for the front, but I guess Dawson Precision (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT:Smith+and+Wesson+MP+.22+Front+Sights) came out with some front sights made for the M&P 22 in two different heights.

This is true. I put my factory m&p sights on my M&P22 with a tiny bit of filing. The front sight needed more fitting than the rear did. I want to RMR this pistol with suppressor sights. Not sure if its feasable with the aluminum slide.

SkyLine1
09-09-12, 16:28
Ameriglo yellow dot front and hack rear are on mine. POA/POI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ra2bach
09-09-12, 16:34
This is true. I put my factory m&p sights on my M&P22 with a tiny bit of filing. The front sight needed more fitting than the rear did. I want to RMR this pistol with suppressor sights. Not sure if its feasable with the aluminum slide.

who makes suppressor sights for this?

cttbax
09-09-12, 16:38
Also just for a datapoint.....approx 800 rounds fired, all suppressed and no failures at all. This little 22 plinker is the bees knees. I shoot either CCI standard velocity or aquila 60 grain subsonics. The trigger is pretty gritty now, but I am sure that is just a bit of powder in the trigger mech. I am more and more impressed each time I shoot it. I had a hell of a time scratching up reasonably priced mags for it. That is my only complaint. Mags for any handgun should not cost $35-$40 IMHO!

cttbax
09-09-12, 16:40
who makes suppressor sights for this?

Sadly, as far as I know....nobody.

cttbax
09-09-12, 16:46
Belay my last:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111487

One way to get em.....

cttbax
09-16-12, 19:03
I pushed my M&P22 past 1200 rounds all suppressed this week. Function was fine, but I finally broke down and cleaned it due to the trigger being so damned gritty. It took me a combo of hoppes, CLP and compressed air to get all the grit out of the frame. I haven't tore this gun down past field stripping and honestly I am not looking forward to taking it down any further *Flashbacks of sig mosquito and Walther P22 detail stripping*

I have now set my cleaning interval to 500 round for this gun now. That was just nasty today!