PDA

View Full Version : Colt Python

FChen17213
09-05-12, 22:45
Who has one of these and still shoots it on a regular basis? I know that the Python is often considered the best looking smoothest 357 revolver. Too bad most of us can only afford the S&W 686 for the most part. I am wondering if anyone here has more than 5k rounds through theirs and hasn't had to get it retimed or any work done to it.

goodoleboy
09-11-12, 18:22
I've got one, I wouldn't say that I shoot it regularly. Mine is in the 1968 date range and I'm the 4th owner. I have no clue how many rounds it has had through it. My grandfather (gun shop owner) sold it to my dad. He sold it to one of his friends that was going to Colt Armorer's School. He took it to the school and did some trigger work on it, shot competition with it for a few years, sold it back to my dad, then he gave it to me as a gift. I would imagine it has had a couple of thousand rounds through it in its life (judging by grip wear and cylinder wear). It still locks up fairly tight, and the barrel looks like a mirror on the inside. It still shoots like a dream too, although I only shoot it a few times a year (so as not to put it in an early grave).

BillSWPA
09-12-12, 13:03
I inherited a 2.5" barrel version which probably has around 1,000 to 2,000 rounds through it. It has an excellent trigger, good sights, and is fun and easy to shoot. Mine has Pachmayr Gripper grips, which are a huge improvement over the factory grips. I shoot it rarely, because parts are going to become more and more difficult to obtain if I break something or wear something out.

MattHallman
09-12-12, 13:57
I have a 6" stainless Python, 6" stainless King Cobra, and a 4" stainless King Cobra. All have a steady diet of .38 special - full house .357mags.

The King Cobra is a cheaper version of the Python but essentially the same.

There are plenty of deals out there as with everything. The key is knowing people who know people in my case.

Backroad
09-12-12, 14:19
I have a nickle-plated 6incher that I bought a few years ago. This gun came out about 1957 when I was just a kid, and I always wanted one. Now that I have one, I really need to shoot it. Mine is still in pristine, never-been-fired condition. It's a great piece of machinery.

Al

skyshark
09-12-12, 15:33
I bought a new 4" stainless back in 1991 and fired full power magnums out of it regularly for a few years. I racked up about 6500 rounds through it by 1997 when it started skipping chambers and the bolt had to be replaced. I still have it, but I rarely fire my revolvers anymore. She shows quite a bit of wear for all of the use, but it's one of my "take it to my grave" guns.

Pythons really are magnificent revolvers for those of us who like to take a break from the practical side of shooting and just enjoy a fine gun for its own sake.

rljatl
09-12-12, 15:59
I bought a new 4" stainless back in 1991 and fired full power magnums out of it regularly for a few years. I racked up about 6500 rounds through it by 1997 when it started skipping chambers and the bolt had to be replaced. I still have it, but I rarely fire my revolvers anymore. She shows quite a bit of wear for all of the use, but it's one of my "take it to my grave" guns.

Pythons really are magnificent revolvers for those of us who like to take a break from the practical side of shooting and just enjoy a fine gun for its own sake.

Send it back to Colt. They will fix 'er up and not charge an arm and a leg, either.

MadDog
09-12-12, 16:07
Mine is a 1964 2.5" and I do shoot it on a regular basis. Couldn't tell you what the round count is because I don't keep track on my pistols. The stags are made by Patrick Grasshorn although I still have the original wood stocks for both. Cylinder timing is perfect with no splatter or end play. My 2.5" Lawman is pretty nice also but the action and trigger is not as sweet as the Python. I have a 4" King Cobra which I shoot on a regular basis but again nothing is as sweet as a Python.

MadDog

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7641/coltlawman005.jpg

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8216/coltlawman013.jpg

700M1
09-12-12, 17:52
Here's mine:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/my_4_sons/002-1.jpg

halo2304
09-12-12, 19:47
Here's mine:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/my_4_sons/002-1.jpg

I've got one very similar. Mine has a bit of holster wear and a few dings. Looking up the serial number, I believe mine was made in '64. I don't shoot it much though and I've thought about selling it. I was told that for somewhere around $150, I could send it into Colt and they'd to a refurbish job on it and it would increase the value. It's tempting but I'm a bit skeptical. Around here, Colt Pythons command a hefty $1200 or so. Rarely do you find one under $1k.

M4Fundi
09-13-12, 20:09
I had a 1980s? 6" Stainless model that I loved and hated. With handloads it would shoot one tiny hole at 25yds boringly so and the double action was amazing, buuuuut my only gripe was that the firing pins would break too often for me. I used every type of snapcap for dryfiring available back then in 80s and the firing pins would break I am guessing from stretching or brittle metal and one time I had driven a long way, paid the $ for a hunt and after the stalk etc. at the moment of truth KLIK no bang, broken firing pin:mad: I just decided either the gun was too fragile or I was too rough, but that a 686 with hammer mounted firing pin was going to replace it. YMMV, but I would not do much dry firing with a Python unless you KNOW they have improved the firing pins or that snapcaps have improved since the 80s versions of Pythons.

1_click_off
09-15-12, 20:56
I have a 6" bright stainless with about 3k through it. No issues. Always fed it 158gr JHP reloads.

UTSig
09-17-12, 11:19
I've got a 6" from the early '70s. My brother bought it new and shot it some, in the '90s he sold it to me. I sent it to Reeves Jungkind to have some work done and the gun is amazing. My wife likes it and shoots mostly 38 spl, I always end the shoot putting some magnums through it. If I were to guess I'd say 2000 rds.

Here's mine, my brother put on the Herrett stocks, I do have the originals:

http://www.fototime.com/B5AA33437D6BEF2/xlarge.jpg

Win

denn1911
09-19-12, 10:12
You guys are making me jealous. In 2002, I bought an unfired, 4" stainless Python from a guy who collected Colts. Being unfired, I relunctantly put it in my safe even though I wanted to shoot it. Ten years later, it's still unfired. Every time I look at it, I'm so tempted to fire it. I'm a shooter and not a collector so it is difficult not using it.

KrampusArms
09-19-12, 23:03
My buddies got a Python. It has the silkiest trigger I've ever felt on a revolver. They are works of art. He has fired maybe 400 rounds through it. We both agreed he should shoot it rarely, as it needs to be preserved.

Any of you reading who have never held or fired one, believe me, their praise isn't over rated. The damn things are exquisite.

M4Fundi
09-20-12, 00:07
I've got a 6" from the early '70s. My brother bought it new and shot it some, in the '90s he sold it to me. I sent it to Reeves Jungkind to have some work done and the gun is amazing. My wife likes it and shoots mostly 38 spl, I always end the shoot putting some magnums through it. If I were to guess I'd say 2000 rds.

Win

Are those Herrett stocks or Hogue?

UTSig
09-20-12, 08:29
I'm pretty sure they're Herrett, my brother was a big fan of them back then. He put a set on a K17 that I now own, too.

Win

Littlelebowski
09-20-12, 08:39
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8216/coltlawman013.jpg

Wait. WAIT. Is that holster designed to carry two revolvers at once?

Meth0d
09-20-12, 11:25
Small of the back, cowboy style?

http://cdn2.hark.com/images/000/494/282/494282/original.jpg

Jake'sDad
09-22-12, 01:16
I'm pretty sure they're Herrett, my brother was a big fan of them back then. He put a set on a K17 that I now own, too.

Win

They look a little like Shooting Masters, but different.

They should have a label inside the grip if they're Herretts.

CDR_Glock
09-23-12, 16:47
My buddies got a Python. It has the silkiest trigger I've ever felt on a revolver. They are works of art. He has fired maybe 400 rounds through it. We both agreed he should shoot it rarely, as it needs to be preserved.

Any of you reading who have never held or fired one, believe me, their praise isn't over rated. The damn things are exquisite.

I loved the 4" Royal Blue a lot. I loved it so much that every gun I owned had to have a similar feel. I have a Ruger GP100 that is pretty darn close to it. I like the python so much I acquired another in 8" and 6" Royal Blue finishes. To me, they're the smoothest and most accurate pistols that I'll ever shoot. I am still looking for a Snub Nosed Python.

Spiffums
09-24-12, 20:03
Best gun ever for putting down little girl zombies! I do want a shooter. I could never afford a safe queen example of the python.

S. Galbraith
09-25-12, 13:19
I have always loved the Python. In my opinion, revolver quality all around has really taken a nose dive since the 1970s.

RIDE
09-25-12, 13:55
I own a 1959 6" Royal blue Colt Python. I can speak to the OP's question as I really don't shoot the thing. At this point I consider it a work of art more than a firearm.

It is my only safe-queen.. all other guns get a good amount of mileage, just not the Queen :)

MadDog
09-25-12, 21:33
Wait. WAIT. Is that holster designed to carry two revolvers at once?

Yes, it is called a "New York Reload" but I can't remember who made it for me. I am a lefty so it sits at my 8:00 position with the Python as my storng side draw and the Lawman as my cross draw. Why carry speedloaders when you can have a spare wheelgun? It is also great for driving in the car as the crossdraw is positioned perfectly when wearing a seatbelt.

MadDog :p

SilverTongueDevil
10-22-12, 23:49
Ill be sending mine to Colt soon its cylinder has some movement :cray:
Not to keen on doing so was wondering if anyone here has sent there snake to Colt for a tune up?
If so what was cost and turn around time

Buckshot TX
10-23-12, 12:23
Ill be sending mine to Colt soon its cylinder has some movement :cray:
Not to keen on doing so was wondering if anyone here has sent there snake to Colt for a tune up?
If so what was cost and turn around time

When you say the cylinder has some movement, what do you mean? The cylinder movement that matters on the old-style (pre MK3&5 crap) Colt action is when the trigger is pulled to the rear & the hammer falls. Pull the trigger & dont let it return forward - will the cylinder wiggle then? If so, you do have a problem & it will likely only get worse over time.
I seriously doubt Colt has anyone left who is honestly qualified to re-time a Python. I've been trained for it, but won't touch a Colt re-time anymore - life is too short! I spoke with Hamilton Bowen about this over lunch this summer & he won't touch an out of time Colt anymore, either (I'm not in Bowen's league, but it was interesting to know he was of the same mindset).
Cylinder & Slide or Grant Cunnigham are your best shots now to re-time a Python well & correctly. It isn't a cheap job & the parts are getting tougher to find by the day.

duece71
11-11-12, 21:01

Win

Wow, that there is a beautiful piece. Congrats. I saw a 6in stainless at a gun show yesterday. Seller wanted 2 grand. He also had a 6in nickel and wanted the same price. I would love to have one of these some day. Stainless or Blued please!

mvician
11-12-12, 22:15
Safe QUEEN :D

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/Python/Python.jpg

FChen17213
11-13-12, 10:15
Absolutely gorgeous. Stunningly beautiful. I want one too. I think the best looking Pythons are the 4" Royal Blue ones.

Evergreen
11-13-12, 15:10
For look and finish, I do think Colt has the edge in comparison to S&W, DW and Ruger. I've always drooled over the Anacondas. The sexiness of the Pythons do seem to get my hormones going as well.. :D

I was sad when I sold my beautiful S&W 629-4 and purchased a Ruger Redhawk. However, practicality was more important than aesthetics. I was travelling in bear country and couldn't trust my 44Mag 340gr +P+ loads with the 629.

bodhisattva
11-13-12, 16:34
The closest finish I've seen that came close to the beauty and luster of Colt's Royal Blue was the bluing done on S&W pre-Model 27s and Registered Magnums and, even then, comparing the two side to side it was a no brainer. The Royal Blue is king of all aesthetic finishes to me.

Beautiful Pythons everyone. I hope to pick up a few when I'm out of school.

FChen17213
11-13-12, 16:56
A lot of the earlier 19s and 27s have a very beautiful blued finish as well. Although the Smiths have a very beautiful finish, I still think that the Colts are a bit better looking.

bodhisattva
11-13-12, 17:34
A lot of the earlier 19s and 27s have a very beautiful blued finish as well. Although the Smiths have a very beautiful finish, I still think that the Colts are a bit better looking.

Really any Smith up to the -2 suffix will have a beautiful finish. Model 15s/K-38s are gorgeous as well, true "Combat Masterpieces."

Evergreen
11-13-12, 23:09
I'd put one of those pretty Smiths up on my wall, but the Ruger is the one I take out into the woods. The Ruger is built like a tank and was not built for aesthetics, but for serious shooting. I'm curious as to how durable a Colt Anaconda would be compared to the Ruger. I've have been told the S&W 686 handles most loads pretty well compared to the Ruger GP100 series. Perhaps, this comparison relates more to the .44 Mag cals then the .357Mag cals.

BTW, this is not to say I find my Ruger Redhawk ugly.. Actually, its rugged, hard, solid look gives it its own unique kind of rough beauty.

jmanrogers
11-24-12, 17:29
If you're considering buying one, I would advise you to do it know as the price on these things are going through the roof and continue every year. I've owned and shot several, from 4", 6" to 8 3/8" and Colt does have one of the smoothest actions in this particular revolver. I would have to agree with most that the Royal Blue Finish is the way to go. Nickel is too hard to care of so Bright Stainless Steel would be a good option also.

coloradorockin
11-28-12, 14:43
I have 2 4in pythons that I acquired in the 70s, one had some trigger work done on it and the other one is factory, I shoot them both regularly and have never had 1 issue with either, just clean em and shoot em. They are without a doubt the finest revolver made period. Smoothest hammer pull of any gun I have ever owned. I really the SW 629-2 I have but not even in the same league. Just can't imagine why colt ever stopped making them.

R0CKETMAN
11-28-12, 17:12
The SS is unfired and the blue barely so...I'd like to add a two and four inch

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3738/largesnake.jpg

eng208
11-29-12, 06:25
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/101_7450.JPG

This one has not been shot much at all. Too valuable and I am afraid of breaking something. It is the only gun in the safe I don't shoot.

El Pistolero
11-29-12, 10:22
I would absolutely love to own a 4-inch blues Python. It is one of my "holy grail" guns. No finer revolver has ever been, or will be, made than the Colt Python.

seb5
11-30-12, 18:38
I have a 6" stainless Python, 6" stainless King Cobra, and a 4" stainless King Cobra. All have a steady diet of .38 special - full house .357mags.

The King Cobra is a cheaper version of the Python but essentially the same.

There are plenty of deals out there as with everything. The key is knowing people who know people in my case.

You have a nice trio of Colts. Be advised that the only things in common with the Python and King Cobra is they're both Colts. The lockwork on the King Cobra is totally different than the Python. It uses the Trooper type internals. The Python is and was a great revolver but is not nearly as tough as the S&W or even the Troopers internals. The lockwork is somewhat fragile and is a royal pain to set the time when it wears. The Python is still the standard much as the 6920 is the standard AR's. Out of the box they were always much smoother than the S&W's. They harken back to when revolvers were a piece of art.

SilverTongueDevil
11-30-12, 19:50
When you say the cylinder has some movement, what do you mean? The cylinder movement that matters on the old-style (pre MK3&5 crap) Colt action is when the trigger is pulled to the rear & the hammer falls. Pull the trigger & dont let it return forward - will the cylinder wiggle then? If so, you do have a problem & it will likely only get worse over time.
I seriously doubt Colt has anyone left who is honestly qualified to re-time a Python. I've been trained for it, but won't touch a Colt re-time anymore - life is too short! I spoke with Hamilton Bowen about this over lunch this summer & he won't touch an out of time Colt anymore, either (I'm not in Bowen's league, but it was interesting to know he was of the same mindset).
Cylinder & Slide or Grant Cunnigham are your best shots now to re-time a Python well & correctly. It isn't a cheap job & the parts are getting tougher to find by the day.

Nope it still has solid lock up at the time of the trigger pull it just needs a tune up its got slight movement in the cylinder at rest...
Over the years and many rounds down range its due for a tune..
I heard once you notice movement in the cylinder even at rest one should have a tune up done.
Thanks for the info on Cylinder and Slide

BillSWPA
11-30-12, 20:53
Excellent information on Colt internals here:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/colt_python_delicate.html