PDA

View Full Version : Concealing a P226?

beschatten
09-05-12, 22:55
Anybody have any experience with concealing one of these?

I have a large frame at 6'3 and 200 pounds, but when I try and fit it at 8 o clock on my waistband (without a holster) I notice that its really thick and difficult. I've been looking for a Milt Sparks or any decent holsters IWB for a left-handed shooter but most are for right-handed.

Any experience with a OWB holster and maybe wearing a jacket?

Or is it going to feel like a boat anchor regardless and I should look into another weapon for concealing? Has anyone ever concealed a M&P 4.25" or a PPQ?

GJM
09-05-12, 23:15
Custom Carry "Shaggy," Dark Star AIWB or Spencer Keepers "Keeper" appendix holster.

TheJRK
09-05-12, 23:21
I have a P229 that I carry IWB in a RCS holster and it's a beast. I'm 6' 3" 175lbs. The Raven holster helps a lot though. I used to use a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster.

I can't imagine trying to carry a full size P226, even with your build.

BTW, Raven makes holsters for lefties.

rathos
09-05-12, 23:34
it isn't any worse then carrying a glock for width, it is just a little heavier. I prefer a VM II style holster, plenty of makers that will make a left handed one.

I am 5'8" and roughly 175 and I have no issues concealing it as I dress around my gun, although I can conceal it with no issues in a t-shirt.

beschatten
09-05-12, 23:59
Im on the RCS website and which specific holster do you use?

Milt Sparks makes VMII's for lefties? I couldnt see anything about that on his website

09-06-12, 00:21
Just a note: but the "Here's my height and weight/ I'm a big guy" thing is 100% meaningless when it comes to concealing handguns. 110% meaningless. I can't possibly stress how meaningless this is. For some reason, you just see everyone on the internet reference these qualities when they talk about concealing.

If anything, those with smaller waists can conceal handguns more easily. Fat guts serve to simply press the gun outward, and make IWB more uncomfortable. The ideal IWB body type is having an athletic V-shape to the upper body, which has absolutely nothing to do with height or weight.

I only shoot, carry, and train with Glocks, and have IWB'd a G17 for the better part of a decade with no issues in a variety of holsters. Current hoslter is a Raven Concealment at exactly 3 O'oclock. I can also conceal the massive G21 just as easily. Look for a stiff, pancake style holster with wide attachment points, as this aids not only stability but concealment.

I've tried out a 226 IWB around the house just to try it, and the only thing that really bothered me was the rubber grip. It grips clothing more easily and facilitates the shirt riding up more often.

lanenoland
09-06-12, 00:27
I am 5'8", weighed from 165lbs to 220lbs, always carryed a full size handgun and never found my size to be the limiting factor.
Here are the full size guns that I have concealed (in no particular order and to varying degrees of success):

-Sig 220
-Full Size 1911
-M&P fs

I've settled on the M&P platform and rid my safe of other semi-auto handguns.

What I've learned through reading forums, trial and error, a lot of holsters and belts, and money.....SO MUCH MONEY.....it seems that the most important aspects of concealing any handgun, but particularly full size handguns, are the belt, the holster and dressing around the gun.

Without a belt designed to handle the weight of a pistol and all of the other stuff that will found its way around my waist (spare mag, cell phone, flashlight, grappling hook, organ grinder monkey, etc) I was fighting a losing battle. I recently picked up an ATLAS belt by Volund Gearworks, and will never look back.

The holster issue seems fairly obvious, so there's not much to say except that you seem to be using the wrong hand. The rest of us in civilized society use our right hands, and expect you to do the same. I mostly carry OWB and really like JM Custom Kydex for my holsters.

And there are the clothes. I live in Louisiana, and its hot most of the year so I usually just wear kakhis and an untucked shirt and haven't had any problems.

Short answer is yes, you can do it with some planning and proper gear.

P.S. -- It turns out that organ grinder monkeys are useless in a defensive role. Also, impossible to conceal.

beschatten
09-06-12, 00:28
@750.356

Did you use a Raven CS as well for the P226? Im on their website and I'm loving how I can add a Surefire fit to it as well.

ST911
09-06-12, 10:11
In my pre-kydex days, I carried a Beretta 92/M9 comfortably and for extended periods in a Desantis thumb break scabbard. When the need arose later, in Kramer products. I've also carried a 228/M11 here and there in the same holsters. Not a 226, but a picture of what worked with similar sizes/weights.

Just a note: but the "Here's my height and weight/ I'm a big guy" thing is 100% meaningless when it comes to concealing handguns. 110% meaningless. I can't possibly stress how meaningless this is. For some reason, you just see everyone on the internet reference these qualities when they talk about concealing.

If anything, those with smaller waists can conceal handguns more easily. Fat guts serve to simply press the gun outward, and make IWB more uncomfortable. The ideal IWB body type is having an athletic V-shape to the upper body, which has absolutely nothing to do with height or weight.

Height/weight isn't meaningless, but incomplete. It's a starting point for the visual and approximate.

brickboy240
09-06-12, 10:50
At 5ft 9in and 170 pounds, I used to carry a P220 in an El Paso Saddlery #88 Street combat pancake holster and could hide it pretty well. Clothing is key in that situation.

I don't do IWB....its too hot and humid here and IWB would get sweaty and uncomfortable fast.

Clothing and holster choices are key in hiding a larger pistol.

I also used to CCW a Glock 17 and a 5" 1911 with similar holsters. Again....clothing choices made it possible.

-bickboy240

TheJRK
09-06-12, 11:08
Height/weight isn't meaningless, but incomplete. It's a starting point for the visual and approximate.

+ 1.

I also use an Atlas belt.

skyshark
09-06-12, 11:27
I carry a P226 everyday in a Sparks VM II under an untucked Polo style shirt. They do make them for lefties, but you'll probably have to order direct fron the maker and that will be about a six month wait. There are other equally good makers who may get it to you faster.

Earlier posters are correct, it really helps if your chest is a few inches larger than your waistline.

Taguin
09-06-12, 11:35
The right belt, right holster, right mindset.

Magsz
09-06-12, 11:36

I only shoot, carry, and train with Glocks, and have IWB'd a G17 for the better part of a decade with no issues in a variety of holsters. Current hoslter is a Raven Concealment at exactly 3 O'oclock. I can also conceal the massive G21 just as easily. Look for a stiff, pancake style holster with wide attachment points, as this aids not only stability but concealment.

I've tried out a 226 IWB around the house just to try it, and the only thing that really bothered me was the rubber grip. It grips clothing more easily and facilitates the shirt riding up more often.

Yes, the V shape is desirable but on the other end of the spectrum, if you are VERY thin front to back, ie chest to back muscles, longer guns like a G17 or in this case a 226 have LESS room to disappear.

You are FORCED into carrying behind the hip with extreme cant.

Having a bigger waist circumference allows you the option of carrying at 3 with less cant since you have more real estate front to back.

The grass is not always greener on the other side my friend.

Body type IS a huge determining factor in how well a holster will conceal. Posture, torso length, leg length, where your natural waist is and where your pants sit also plays a huge roll.

Now, in regard to the 226, the only downside to the pistol is that it is VERY tall. The distance from the bottom of the trigger guard to the top of the slide is quite high, higher than other hammer fired "high bore axis guns" such as an HK45. This will mean that your overall package is going to be comparatively larger than other options. IF this is the gun you want to conceal, make it work. Unless you are rail thin, you WILL be able to carry this gun provided you buy appropriate support gear.

narcodog
09-06-12, 11:46
I carried a P226 for several years in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion or in a Galco Royal Guard.
I currently carry a M&P9 FS usually in a Safariland 18.
I carry this way 12-20 hours a day every day.
With IWB carry it is important to get pants an inch or two larger than normal. If not IWB carry gets real painful real fast. Also, if your pants are too tight and you are kind of thick then the weapon will not ride properly and tend to roll out more.
It is also important to get a proper belt. El cheapo from sears that looks like a bad dress or fashion belt will not work. I usually have a Jones or Endeavor Stitch Works belt. The old Galco instructor belts are great also.
In my experience thin guns like 1911s are the most comfortable over a wider range of holsters. Thicker guns require more experimentation to find the right holster.
If you have big love handles and use a higher riding holster IWB like an NTAC or some models of Raven then you will have a predictable result of a holster and gun that pushes out and looks like a growth no matter what you do. Big love handles mean you will want a lower riding IWB holster.
Carrying IWB is as much art as it is science (to do it well and comfortably) and often requires lots of trial and error to get it right for you. What may work great for me may be awful for you.

Salamander
09-06-12, 17:03
Have not tried a P226, but I sometimes carry a P229 OWB at 3:00, and have not had any problem as long as the belt is heavy and of good quality to support the weight.

The only place I'll differ slightly is that I prefer not to "dress around the gun." Or at least I try to avoid more than minor changes from my normal routine, maybe a darker jacket rather than a lighter one. Not long ago I was in a small town whose economy centers around a state prison, and when I stopped at the store to get something I was able to spot every off duty guard carrying concealed. The guns generally didn't print, I had to really look closely to be certain, but they all dressed in, let's charitably call it a very predictable fashion. They stood out from the general population like they were wearing flashing neon signs.

At the office that's not a problem for me, because I often wear a suit jacket and always have. In the cool climate here outdoors usually means a light jacket even on a day off. But if I need to carry in a warmer climate where a jacket isnt an option, I use a more concealable gun that day.

odiesplace
09-06-12, 19:55
I carry my 226 almost everyday. I use a crossbreed style holster, that I made. Hides well.

Redbeardsong
09-06-12, 21:04
I have a friend who carries a P226 regularly. A good holster and belt goes a long way.

oef24
09-06-12, 23:14
Dress for the gun. After you have the right holster/holsters, get a good belt and dress code.

O

N2CH_556
09-06-12, 23:44
Proper belt + Raven Concealment System Phantom IWB (MD cut) @ 0900?

Try it.

bondmid003
09-07-12, 03:09
I've carried a 226 in a shoulder holster. It was only in the winter months though as it was easily concealable in the right jacket.

gunnut284
09-07-12, 06:38
I've carried mine occasionally in a cheap IWB and it was ok. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I also have routinely carried a Glock 17 or 21SF (comparable size to the P226) and haven't had any problems. A decent holster, dressing with gun accomadation in mind and especially a good supportive belt are all helpful. You aren't going to be able to wear skinny jeans and a tight shirt and conceal a full sized gun but you don't have to wear a XXXXL shirt either.

arcticlightfighter
09-07-12, 07:29
I would recommend looking at the Comptac Minotaur or the excellent Crossbreed IWB's for concelment with a t shirt

My buddy carries his US Air Marshall issue P229 .357 SIG in a Comptac IWB (appendix location) under a t shirt, it disappears.

For discreet concealed carry, I run my full size MnP .45's in a Crossbreed IWB. Im 6'2" 250 and it disappears with a tshirt. If I go with a raven OWB, it prints a bit with a tshirt.

What is your role with the handgun, what additional equipment are you concealing (handcuffs, mags, light etc) Weather will also dictate your holster options.

beschatten
09-07-12, 07:54
I am currently running CT grips and a Surefire 300.
I looked up Raven and they definitely can support this set up
and I'll try contacting Milt Sparks to see if they can make
this happen and get a left handed holster for me as well.

Same goes for Minotaur comptac's. I saw a YouTube video where
a guy made it disappear with it.

09-07-12, 12:41
I regularly carry my Beretta 92G [AWIB]. I think the SIG is of similar size. Yes, it is heavy.

TRD
09-07-12, 14:24
I used a DeSantis holster (IWB, the Cozy Partner) that was made for a P229 that I also used for a P226 I had. It worked just as well for both guns. I am a skinny guy, but if you wear the right shirt with this holster, the P226 (as big as it is) will disappear. No experience OWBing this one.

Psalms144.1
09-09-12, 20:42
First of all, and not to preach, but asking if a pistol is "concealable" after just shoving it under your belt without a holster is probably not a great place to start. All full size pistols (and most compacts or SCs) should be carried in a quality holster mated to a good belt. Anything else is a recipe for unhappiness.

Having gotten off my soap box, when my agency was "Sig only" for personal weapons, I carried a P226R 9mm nearly every day for four years. At work (and frequently off duty) I used a Desantis Speed Scabbard under a sport coat, untucked "casual" shirt or even (gasp) a vest - all with no issues whatsoever. I used a Milt Sparks SSII for a while, but really found myself happiest with my FIST #1K "ultrathin" kydex for IWB carry.

All that aside, the P226 is a HEAVY beast, and a good belt is the key to successful carry with this critter. Put a $200 holster on a $10 belt, and you won't be happy with the result. I use a Beltman 1.5" leather, or Wilderness Frequent Flyer with polymer insert for all my belt needs now.

Having said all that, as soon as my agency dropped the Sig only restriction, I switched to a G19 - based mostly on the size efficiency issue.

Regards,

Kevin

g-rap
09-09-12, 23:12
I carry a P220 in a Milt Sparks VMII. It is large, but very doable. I've also concealed 1911's in similar Milt Sparks. Use a good belt.

fallenangelhim
09-10-12, 00:55
I am 5"10 and weigh about 162lbs and I daily carry a P226R in an IWB holster from PHLster with no problems. Fits fin, tucks fine, sits fine. No prints. And I live in Miami.

Silvanus
09-10-12, 04:18
Iīve carried all-steel P226 and P229 Sigs concealed and donīt find them particularly comfortable or easy to conceal... but itīs possible with the right belt/holster and clothing. If you have the alloy frame model itīs a lot easier.