PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE handguard

spartakis252
09-06-12, 23:46
Following the advice of members here I purchased a Magpul MOE handguard for my first AR(BCM midlength).

Well it arrived and I'm attempting to install it, but I think I'm doing it wrong. Yeah my newb-ness is shining bright. My issue is that the delta ring is not only crooked(left side is closer than the right, looking from top down) but about 1/8th of an inch away from the rear shoulder of the handguard. I think I'm fully depressing the ring, but obviously I have no clue what I'm doing. What am I doing wrong? Would a delta ring tool fix this? I was about to ask about 15 more questions but I'll wait for some replies.

Sorry if this was asked before but doing a search involved "magpul" "moe" and "handguard" yields lots of not helpful posts about how great they are. (leave it up to the FNG to have a problem)

Mr Elbowseed
09-06-12, 23:51
Try YouTube...not being a smartass I'm sure there is a video and you will see what your doing wrong.

spartakis252
09-07-12, 00:08
I've looked at many videos which is why I'm sure something isn't right. Mine doesn't seem to be "snapping" into place. Also I noticed there is some plastic shearing on the nubs that index on the barrel nut. Does this mean one of the two are out of spec?

Stickman
09-07-12, 00:18
You have a tight delta ring, try having someone help you, it will make it easier.

Split66
09-07-12, 00:27
http://www.clebertoledo.com.br/blogs/cinemateca/administracao/files/images/spartacus1.jpg

Stick has it right, get a friend! No reason to buy a tool if you already know one and all it typically costs is a cold one.........

spartakis252
09-07-12, 00:32
You have a tight delta ring, try having someone help you, it will make it easier.

I will get ahold of a friend that has AR tools, he said it should drop right it.

It seems the problem is with the barrel nut "grooves" lining up with the nubs. I don't know the technical terms but it just seems that the plastic isnt fitting into the barrel nut as it should.

I've been google-ing the hell out of this topic and only found 1 related thread on the XD forum, in which they all agreed it shouldn't seat against the shoulder contrary to every other pic or vid I've found. *correction someone suggested the same as you guys have.

I'll see what four hands can do later today(it's tomorrow...I should be asleep anyways).

Thanks for the replies.

TYPEII
09-07-12, 00:33
Yupe, YouTube is your friend. Don't even need the special tool if you got some locking pliers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHJ3ziovww

Redhat
09-07-12, 12:36
Don't try to push the whole slip ring down but instead try tilting the slip ring down on the side (top or bottom) you are trying to fit the handguard in to.

krypto
09-07-12, 12:56
All I can say is: I had the help of my wife. I pulled the ring down and she removed the stock hand guards. Then she put the MOE hand guard in one half at the time. It all went together fine and fit much tighter with much less movement than the stock hand guards.

I could not do it by myself.

Slobo
09-07-12, 15:58
All I can say is: I had the help of my wife. I pulled the ring down and she removed the stock hand guards. Then she put the MOE hand guard in one half at the time. It all went together fine and fit much tighter with much less movement than the stock hand guards.

I could not do it by myself.

Sounds like a good woman. Hold onto her. :cool:

montgomerygentryFan
09-07-12, 17:41
The first time I installed mine on a mid-length it required a good amount of force on the delta ring as it was snug going in. A good thing as there was no play but for a little while I was thinking something might snap. I pretty much had to brace it against the floor to get some leverage. It's pretty straight forward although it does require putting some elbow grease into it.

spartakis252
09-08-12, 01:50
Well with the help of my dad I got it to sit a little better. It's still about an even 1/16th(maybe less) of an inch away from the shoulder the whole way around. It seems solid though.

Edit:
After looking at the first 5 pages of google images for "magpul moe midlength handguard" I now feel confident that I got it seated correctly.

jb1911
09-08-12, 06:30
It's still about an even 1/16th(maybe less) of an inch away from the shoulder the whole way around.

This is normal.

mallowpufft
09-08-12, 06:52
Just be careful you don't break the little tabs that hold the handguard in... Thankfully MOE handguards aren't expensive but I've got a rifle length one with broken tabs just sitting around from my first try where I forced things a bit too much.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

spartakis252
09-08-12, 13:20
This is normal.

That's good because I didn't think it could move much more.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

bluecanary
09-10-12, 20:12
It is possible to do it your self. But you might break a sweat! Get an other pair of hands

RMiller
09-10-12, 20:58
Yea, just sounds like a tight delta ring. IMO, the tighter the better.

Arctic33
09-14-12, 00:49
Every MOE handguard I've installed, which is a few (I went through my quad-rail phase and back, as well as putting them on acquaintances rifles because I recommend them) has never, ever, not once dropped in on the first shot.

There's an order to putting them in, and I can never remember if it's top or bottom first. If you have help, it's easier, especially if you're like me and every delta ring you have is tight to the point of frustration. Aside from having help, the best method I've found is to stop when it goes crooked, take it back apart, and start again. It takes me two or three times to find that sweet spot of alignment to get the delta ring to return fully forward and lock the handguard down properly. And no, I've not once got it to click after it goes crooked, no matter how much I twist, pry, and pull on it.

So no, you're not slow (unless maybe we both are), they're just a pain in the arse to get seated correctly.

MiamiCracker
09-14-12, 10:18
Mine went in easy on the 1st try, no help just used my hands.

Koshinn
09-14-12, 11:54
IMO, the tighter the better.

Giggity.

CobraBG
09-14-12, 12:15
Mine went in easy on the 1st try, no help just used my hands.

Same here... followed the directions as to which piece went on first and was able to do it by hand without help. Fits nice and tight on my LE6920.

KingCobra
09-14-12, 16:22
Giggity.

I just shot mnt dew out of my nose.

TheWaker43
09-14-12, 16:25
I struggled the first few times as well. I used to try to use a baseball bat grip to slide the delta ring (using the area between my thumb and forefinger). It always took two people or a lot of cursing. I have found now that if I get the delta ring about eye level, stock on a hard surface (barrel facing the ceiling) and use the tips of my fingers to move the ring, it slides quite easily.

RMiller
09-14-12, 17:05
Giggity.

Awesome...lol

Redhat
09-14-12, 17:15
I struggled the first few times as well. I used to try to use a baseball bat grip to slide the delta ring (using the area between my thumb and forefinger). It always took two people or a lot of cursing. I have found now that if I get the delta ring about eye level, stock on a hard surface (barrel facing the ceiling) and use the tips of my fingers to move the ring, it slides quite easily.

Have you tried it with the upper and lower receivers separated?

Hydguy
09-14-12, 17:22
I had a problem with a BCM barrel nut when installing a set of Colt M4 hand guards.

I'm not sure if it is a machining issue, or a finish issue, but installing the lower handguard was a real pain, and it chewed up the handguard pretty good, and I was using a handguard tool.

spartakis252
09-14-12, 21:04
My MOE is a little chewed up from wiggling it around the barrel nut. But it's on now, rock solid too. No movement while shooting and pretty comfortable. It my first handguard so I don't have much to go by, but I like it. I think I wanna put that MOE vertical foregrip on(the one that fits in the slots not the rail version).

And Koshinn...high five!

srccolt6920
08-06-13, 10:07
My problem is I want to remove the magpul and do a first time cleaning on my new AR. I can't get them off. After reading the install threads I will try to get some help for leverage. Any suggestions for a first time removal?

Scott

uffdaphil
08-06-13, 10:22
$7.97 on sale now. Works like two hands so you can manipulate the parts with your other. Works like a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Ar15-Delta-Wrench-Removal/dp/B00551HAU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375802270&sr=8-1&keywords=handguard+tool

srccolt6920
08-06-13, 10:56
Thanks for information. I just watched a video of a guy using channel locks to do the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHJ3ziovww

Plumber237
08-06-13, 13:53
My problem is I want to remove the magpul and do a first time cleaning on my new AR. I can't get them off. After reading the install threads I will try to get some help for leverage. Any suggestions for a first time removal?

Scott

For me I've never had a problem after my first time installing/deinstalling them. For on: top piece into front post, then top piece into d-ring; bottom piece into front post, the bottom piece into d-ring. Taking them off go in reverse order. Installing each piece separately is the key. I always point the rifle up stock between my feet when sitting, extra hands do help for removing them if it's a really tight d-ring. Installing should be a one man job.

srccolt6920
08-06-13, 14:54
Thanks for the help everyone much appreciated. I may just go ahead make myself a tool!

NCHornet
08-06-13, 16:37
The tool isn't a must, but it is nice to have when you don't have a extra pair of hands around. Glad you got it in. I wish I would have educated myself on the MOE before I spent literally thousands on rails for all my rifles. Add the AFG2, mount a light in a ElZetta 1500 mount, sling of your choice and you got a rifle ready to roll!!! Spend the rest on PMags and Ammo. :D

srccolt6920
08-06-13, 16:53
The tool isn't a must, but it is nice to have when you don't have a extra pair of hands around. Glad you got it in. I wish I would have educated myself on the MOE before I spent literally thousands on rails for all my rifles. Add the AFG2, mount a light in a ElZetta 1500 mount, sling of your choice and you got a rifle ready to roll!!! Spend the rest on PMags and Ammo. :D

I saw a great tool a guy made on you tube for about $6 in supplies, stopping by the hardware store on the way home after work.

Dannyh
08-06-13, 18:27
I just used my hands and it slipped on very easily. Since however I've removed the lower piece to add or remove things, but that upper piece doesn't appear to want to go anyway. If I ever want to remove the upper it's going to be a "B".

srccolt6920
08-07-13, 14:34
Last night went home and made the the tool to pull the fore grip. I will try to post a pict it works great!

Krull
08-07-13, 23:02
One of the most fun,and swear inducing things to do with an AR is taking the hand guards on and off I use a C clamp with some leather on the parts that can scratch stuff up-I still wind up making oaths to dark gods though....

srccolt6920
08-08-13, 09:59
Well I installed my magpul rails last night, the tool I made needs some adjustments, the hook that slides into the mag well is a bit to long and needs to be shortened. It reminded me of my old army m16 that was also a b***h remove and install the guards! But it worked ok and I was able to remove and install them by myself. Off to the range this weekend to put some rounds through my new AR. I will make sure the magpul sites are zeroed first then I will decide on optics.