PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Erosion From Suppressor Use?

saddlerocker
09-07-12, 00:59
Sorry if you were expecting a picture of an eroded muzzle......

Is there muzzle erosion with heavy suppressor use?
Or does it basically develop a layer of carbon and stay somewhat protected?

And if there is, does it even matter? The crown is chrome.

VIP3R 237
09-07-12, 01:17
When using a suppressor your muzzle device is a sacrificial blast chamber. Every time you fire your muzzle device is essentially being sand blasted by miniature particles such as carbon and unburned powder. I haven't seen any excess crown erosion but I've never gauged it either. I have seen a large build up of carbon between the crown and the MD which is normal.

Reagans Rascals
09-07-12, 01:28
this is why KAC chose to go with inconel for their Triple Tap... its a blast baffle...

VLODPG
09-07-12, 08:48
Never saw a problem with a barrel but my screw on suppressors has been rebuilt for baffle erosion.(was using at the time a 10.5 barrel)

Here is an example (not mine) reported after 3k on a 10.5" barrel

http://i45.tinypic.com/11hqfi9.jpg

rjacobs
09-07-12, 09:02
Is it bad that "I dont care about the barrel" since they are relatively cheap and so easy to replace? In the grand scheme of SBR's and suppressors the barrel is the least of my concerns. I would be ecstatic if the barrel would wear and the suppressor would stay pristine, but sadly, that is not what happens.

saddlerocker
09-07-12, 10:37
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am trying to decide on hammer forged vs standard while I wait for my stamp.
I figured HF would be more durable at the gas port and muzzle where there is potential for more abuse when using a suppressor.

I know DD hammer forged is actually less than a BCM standard right now, but id rather go BCM if I can.

viperashes
09-07-12, 12:41
Never saw a problem with a barrel but my screw on suppressors has been rebuilt for baffle erosion.(was using at the time a 10.5 barrel)

Here is an example (not mine) reported after 3k on a 10.5" barrel

http://i45.tinypic.com/11hqfi9.jpg

Mine looks almost exactly like that after a few thousand rounds down the pipe on a 10.5.