PDA

View Full Version : 300 WM vs. .308 recoil?

AR15DCM
09-07-12, 02:41
Hello,

I just purchased a Rem700 SS 5R 24" in 300 win Mag. I own a .308 tactical bolt gun and was wondering how more recoil I should expect.

While waiting for the gun to get here I ordered a decent recoil pad and was thinking that depending on the recoil I would need to get a muzzle brake too.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

stinkyDrunk
09-07-12, 04:58
I shot a brakeless 300 once, it had significant kick. My savage 300 (please no hate) I can shoot all day, it has a very non-social brake.

nineteenkilo
09-07-12, 11:13
The difference between a 300 and 308 on identical platforms is significant to say the least. Obviously, if the 300 is not braked, is lighter, etc. that will only make it worse.

I'm a pretty large guy (6'4" 240lbs) and I find the recoil of a 300 WM to be moderately heavy in a standard hunting rifle platform. I consider a 308 in the same platform to be light to moderate if that helps.

Describing recoil is like trying to stack BB's. Damn.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-07-12, 13:44
Without the brake on mine my shoulder starts to hurt after 6 rounds, with the brake installed I can shoot it all day. Bullet, barrel and stock weight will all play into your rifles felt recoil as well as body position and stock construction.

I thinks the actual numbers are some where around 16lbs for a 308 and 26 lbs of felt recoil for a 300 mag

brickboy240
09-07-12, 23:51
I have a sporterized walnut stocked 03 Springfield in 30-06. I also have a Sauer 202 in 300WM.

The difference in recoil in those two rifles is night and day.

The 300WM without a brake is jarring and after 3-5 rounds...well...that is enough of that for me, thank you!

I inherited the 300WM and here in Texas...well...we really don't have much need for the caliber. I rarely shoot it and keep it mostly for sentimental value....it is a jarring rifle to shoot even if it is pretty and nice to look at.

-brickboy240

B Cart
09-08-12, 00:19
Get a brake!! If you actually want to shoot your .300 WM, and not develop bad habits from the recoil, get a brake for sure. My .300WM had MUCH more recoil than my .308, and unless it has a brake it's almost not worth shooting IMO. Good luck and have fun!

TehLlama
09-08-12, 19:36
If you can get a can (for both), do it. Otherwise, brake.

Iowa Don
01-01-13, 23:44
In two words: A lot. This is like the difference between a .22-250AI and a .257 Weatherby - they both bark like the devil but the Weatherby packs a wicked kickback. I would get the thickest buttpad I could buy from Brownell;s and a mercury absorber if it'll fit without weakening the stock. When you put a scope on it, get all the eye relief you can. And don't let yourself creep up on the eyepiece. You could get a very nice circular cut on your forehead that goes right down to the bone and will require numerous stitches - preferably from a plastic surgeon, who will have the finely honed skills to make the most presentable result. No BS. The big .300's (except the old .300 Savage) all have major power factors, and above 200 grains you will be awake, if you weren't before. They use these in Iraq and Afghanistan with 200 grain rounds and from what I'm told by those who've been there and seen that they really do make quite a mess of things. A good thing is that you can load 125 - 150 grain bullets and get phenomenal results on coyotes and such critters - about cut them clean in half.