PDA

View Full Version : VSM Pistol Ohio Sept. 29th (AAR)

C4IGrant
09-07-12, 10:53
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/VSM_Logo.jpg

This is our FIRST VSM class! Come out and enjoy a good time, learn something new and win some prizes!

When: Sept. 29
Where: Tusco Rifle club (50yd range)
Time: 0900-1700
Cost: $150 per Student (Cash only please)
Ammo: 300-400rds

Gear:
Eye Protection
Hearing Protection (electronic ears are best)
One mag pouch for pistol
Holster for pistol
2-3 mags (minimum)
Water
Lunch
Appropriate gear for the weather (rain jacket, etc.)
Cover garment (CCW)

This is a heavy diagnostics class where we closely examine what you are doing as a shooter. Every round counts and you will have to push hard in order to pass many of the tests and drills.

This class is designed to be a small (10-12) students so it will fill up fast! Please RSVP your place in line ASAP by sending an e-mail to: sales@grtactical.com

VSM certificates of completion will be given out at the end of the class.

C4

C4IGrant
09-08-12, 21:34
This class is FULL!

C4

C4IGrant
10-01-12, 11:47
Had a great time teaching this class! The students were eager to learn and try new things (can't ask for much more).

In this class, I wanted to give the student a "view" into the advanced pistol training world. More specifically what it takes to be classified as an "advanced" shooter or do well in an advanced shooting class.

IMHO, what separates an average shooter from an advanced shooter is their ability to deliver on demand (cold). This class had a total of 8 core drills that were meant to really push the students and show them their weaknesses. First drill of the day, 10/10/10 (shot cold). Target used is the NRA B-8 and passing score is 90 or above (using the scoring rings). None of the 13 students passed it (failed by being over the time or not enough points). This test would set the tone for the rest of day.

Accuracy is the hallmark of the VSM program. I stepped out a little & worked with the students on speed (as we seek the balance between the two). We ran several drills that focused on where the student’s group sizes started to grow as more and more time was removed and the round count stayed the same. I think this was a real eye opener for some (as they saw rounds migrate to the left as they picked up the pace).

While doing the above, I noticed that the majority of the Glock shooters were "riding the link" while attempting to shoot quickly. Doing this directly hinders one’s ability to shoot in a rhythm and get good hits quickly. This is a common problem I see with Glock shooters and ID's the fact that they have never moved passed their initial training which taught them to not go any farther than the reset point on their trigger (thus holding the trigger to the rear until the sights rest on the target).

As the day went one, students were exposed to the 1-5 drill, G&R Tactical drill #1 and #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-VV8UN4Gs&feature=plcp), Defoor #1 drill and a variation of the Hackathorn box drill.

The first part of the KD #1 drill (running 25yds and shoot a B-8 target for score of 50 points or more) completely smoked the students. This is pretty normal IMHO as most people never work on running somewhere quickly and then having to make precision shots. No one passed this drill.

Everyone’s pistols ran well with no issues. We had Glock's, M&P's, a 1911 and a CZ. One note on ammo. Tula sucks. Don't buy this crap.

At the end of the day, each student was given a score sheet with how they did on each drill. This score sheet tells them time, how many rounds were out and if they passed it or not. Using this, they will be able to work on their weaknesses (as they have been identified) and grow as a shooter. This is a key part of training and something that will go a long way in helping an average shooter become an advanced shooter.

C4

joshrunkle35
10-01-12, 16:34
Great class. I believe I had seen almost all of the shooters in other classes of Grant's and it was nice to be able to take a class that was focusing on enabling the shooter to realistically evaluate their own skill levels in different areas, without really having to spend any time covering emergency reloads, etc.

As grant mentioned about Tula ammo, one student shooting Tula ammo experienced 5-6 failed primers that had pretty heavy primer strike marks (meaning...it was probably the ammo, not the gun), and one squib load that everyone in the class heard (as the student was shooting the drill on his own). I have been blessed enough not to be forced to shoot bi-metal or super cheap ammo, and many of my local ranges do not allow it...but even if your shooting budget does force you to purchase something cheap, I would never trust Tula ammo after watching that all day.

Per usual, Grant's teaching style and knowledge level are excellent. He constantly remains humble enough to remind students to look up to "better instructors" who he would name in class and recommend. All the same, I'd much rather spend money on a class from him than most other instructors I've paid to shoot with. Most other people who sell gear have no idea how to run it under stress and speed, and Grant will be brutally honest about what works and what doesn't. I've found that more often than not, he usually ends up being right.

Great class, fun group, great weather, great instructor, hard work. Perfect day at the range.

Dollylamma
10-01-12, 21:19
I thought the class was well taught, well organized, and information was abundant. I appreciate when someone makes a suggestion on why you should try XYZ technique and then explains the ideology behind the suggestion. Any questions asked, where answered promptly by Grant or Mr. Watson which to me indicates that these guys might know their stuff. The only thing I did not enjoy was me not making my hits. Definitely worth my time and money, I will be trying to attend in the future.

Trajan
10-03-12, 17:58
What a great class this was! Couldn't have asked for better weather.

As always, Grant's teaching style was spot on, making the class fun and informative.

The biggest lesson that I took away from the class is the importance of rhythm, as well as to not over think things.

I know that as long as I'm still living in the area, I will continue to attend Grant's courses.

Double D
12-23-12, 11:03
This was a very eye opening experience. The drills we performed in this class were well thought out emphasizing the fundamental skill sets required for competent shooting. The drills were actually quite easy if . . .

If you have developed and practiced a draw stroke that has eliminates wasted movement and produces a consistent presentation during target acquisition.

If you have developed the discipline to stay within your abilities in order to maintain a consistently good trigger press during varying time intervals while maintaining the dexterity to recognize and not exceed the trigger reset.

If you have developed an intimate familiarity with your weapon and its controls allowing efficient magazine changes that minimally interrupt the rhythm of your shooting.

If you do the above while maintaining a good grip, a good stance when stationary, good balance while moving, and of course very accurate shot placement, the drills were easy.

Like most people, the class participants found this very difficult to do particularly on demand. That was the beauty of the class. It reminded us all of the importance of training to the extend that the fundamentals are no longer a thought process; they are a second nature reaction utilized on demand anytime anywhere.

SeriousStudent
12-23-12, 12:40

At the end of the day, each student was given a score sheet with how they did on each drill. This score sheet tells them time, how many rounds were out and if they passed it or not. Using this, they will be able to work on their weaknesses (as they have been identified) and grow as a shooter. This is a key part of training and something that will go a long way in helping an average shooter become an advanced shooter.

C4

Homework is a very good thing! :)