PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster BC

AllAmerican
02-02-08, 10:48
Hi Everyone,

I got my BM Flat top shorty and broke it down. I see it has an un-chromed bolt carrier....
Has anyone had their BC hard chromed??? I think it would make it easier to clean and it might last longer. It looks like the inside where the bolt turns it is chromed. I did a search and could not find any info on this. I see you can buy an M-16 BC on line but sosmeone told me that was illegal. I aplogize if it has already been covered.
Any thoughts???

Thanks!!!

jmart
02-02-08, 11:04
Interior of carrier is chromed.

Exterior is parkerized, like about 99% of carriers out there.

Don't bother having it chromed. If you want a chromed one, just get one.

Make sure key is staked. If it isn't, either do it yourself or pay someone who knows how to the $10 they'll ask to do it.

If you want an easy clean up service, call Denny at Global Tactical. He sells Ion-bonded carriers. You may be able to send him your carrier (and bolt) and he'll send it out to get Ion-bonded for you. Probably will run $50 or so. He will also stake it if it needs it.

M-16 carriers are legal.

AllAmerican
02-02-08, 12:01
Interior of carrier is chromed.

Exterior is parkerized, like about 99% of carriers out there.

Don't bother having it chromed. If you want a chromed one, just get one.

Make sure key is staked. If it isn't, either do it yourself or pay someone who knows how to the $10 they'll ask to do it.

If you want an easy clean up service, call Denny at Global Tactical. He sells Ion-bonded carriers. You may be able to send him your carrier (and bolt) and he'll send it out to get Ion-bonded for you. Probably will run $50 or so. He will also stake it if it needs it.

M-16 carriers are legal.

Thanks for that information, I'll try and call Monday.

Gentle Ben
02-02-08, 12:11
IMO, unless the BM is a casual plinker, it'd be better to toss the BM BCG into your spare parts bin & get a complete new BCG from Colt, CMT, BCM, Bravo Company, LMT (those are the ones that come to mind). G&R carries a lot of good bolts, but I don't know if they assemble/mfg their own. Make sure it's MPI'd, (preferably) shot peened, proof fired, has the correct extractor buffer (black), and the gas key is is properly staked. I doubt BM BCGs meet any of those requirements.

The bolt is one of the most important components of the rifle...you want one that's built to last. The worst AR ever assembled will likely run longer if it has a top-grade bolt.

AllAmerican
02-02-08, 15:54
IMO, unless the BM is a casual plinker, it'd be better to toss the BM BCG into your spare parts bin & get a complete new BCG from Colt, CMT, BCM, Bravo Company, LMT (those are the ones that come to mind). G&R carries a lot of good bolts, but I don't know if they assemble/mfg their own. Make sure it's MPI'd, (preferably) shot peened, proof fired, has the correct extractor buffer (black), and the gas key is is properly staked. I doubt BM BCGs meet any of those requirements.

The bolt is one of the most important components of the rifle...you want one that's built to last. The worst AR ever assembled will likely run longer if it has a top-grade bolt.

Well I guess I need to do some more inquiry into this. That is a lot of bolts to check on as far as specs, etc. I was thinking also of the MA company M16 bolt since it seems they are legal.

Thanks for the heads up.

AllAmerican
02-02-08, 16:25

I just went through the BM parts book and on page 15 it says about bolt carriers, "We manufacture to mil. spec. or better, and magnetic particle inspect to insure against cracks or flaws........."

I don't guess they can say that if it ain't true??

ST911
02-02-08, 22:34
I just went through the BM parts book and on page 15 it says about bolt carriers, "We manufacture to mil. spec. or better, and magnetic particle inspect to insure against cracks or flaws........."

I don't guess they can say that if it ain't true??

Batch tested, not individual. No HP testing.

On the upside, BMs are appearing with CMT marked bolts recently. Better than the unknowns.