PDA

View Full Version : Reliability issues with Glock connectors?

grantoga
09-07-12, 19:37
I see that a lot of people recommend going with an OEM Glock "-" connector instead of one of the many aftermarket ones. Reliability issues are mentioned, but I was wondering if anyone has ever actually experienced a malfunction due to an aftermarket connector. I like the idea of having all OEM Glock parts in my guns, but I put Shearer connectors in all my Glocks before I new any better. This is in conjunction with NY1 springs. I havnt had any issues so far, so I think I may stick with what I have until (if) problems arise, then go with OEM Glock.

ST911
09-07-12, 19:56
I see that a lot of people recommend going with an OEM Glock "-" connector instead of one of the many aftermarket ones. Reliability issues are mentioned, but I was wondering if anyone has ever actually experienced a malfunction due to an aftermarket connector. I like the idea of having all OEM Glock parts in my guns, but I put Shearer connectors in all my Glocks before I new any better. This is in conjunction with NY1 springs. I havnt had any issues so far, so I think I may stick with what I have until (if) problems arise, then go with OEM Glock.

I have experienced and seen a number of aftermarket connectors arrive defective or fail within an interval of time. Some were better than others, and some were okay for the firing schedule they were subjected to (read: use little, fail little).

My standard is to buy things made to standard. With rare exception, OEM components only in guns that do important things.

grantoga
09-07-12, 20:07
Thanks for the response. When you did see one fail, what was the nature of the failure? Connector breakage, bending, excessive wear?

arushus
09-07-12, 23:17
I recommend Ghost connectors or OEM. Anything else I wouldnt trust, but I know I can trust ghost or glock connectors because of my personal experience with them.

Big Bronze Rim
09-08-12, 00:23
http://pistol-training.com/archives/6459

oef24
09-08-12, 00:26
+1 for Ghost. Even better if you have them hand fit it for you.

O

auto10mm
09-08-12, 19:22
I put ghost connectors in 2 Glock 17's (Gen3) I ran in a pistol class. One worked great, but the other pistol doubled every shot. Had to switch that one back to the original connector to finish the class.

Brasilnuts
09-08-12, 21:12
I bought Ghost connecters for three Glocks, a gen 2 17, gen 3 19 and a gen 4 19.

I had no issues with the gen 2 17 or gen 3 19.

However, the gen 4 19 started having problems after about 100 rounds. When I installed the connector I cleaned the pistol and took it to the range. After 50 rounds the trigger started to get a little stiff and by the time I got to 100 rounds it was like trying to break a dowel rod. I took the pistol apart and everything looked fine. I started shooting again and the same thing happened at +/- 50 and 100 rounds.

I removed the Ghost connector and after 2800 rounds have not had any trigger issues.

The pistol never had a failure due to the connector, it would always fire, it was just extremely stiff and gritty.

I did not have any issues in my other Glocks, but I have removed the Ghost connectors from them.

ST911
09-08-12, 21:55
Thanks for the response. When you did see one fail, what was the nature of the failure? Connector breakage, bending, excessive wear?

Surface wear, critical contours/angles falling out of spec. Soft metals probably, or just enough within tolerance to work for awhile and then fail. Some cracked or broke somewhere along connector.

I put ghost connectors in 2 Glock 17's (Gen3) I ran in a pistol class. One worked great, but the other pistol doubled every shot. Had to switch that one back to the original connector to finish the class.

The Ghost connectors have been frustrating. I don't recall the specific models, but the ones that users fit are rarely done well. User problem, not a product. A couple that were supposed to be drop-in, weren't, however.

The OEM is known-good and available. There's no reason to go with those alleging to be good-as OEM.

I've been trying to restart my "box of shame" of aftermarket fails, but most folks are sending it back these days.

grantoga
09-08-12, 22:37
Anyone here of a Shearer connector failing?

mayonaise
09-08-12, 23:23
I've seen more reliability issues with reduced power striker springs than anything else over the years. Personally, I like the gun to go bang when I pull the trigger. Surest way to prevent that is to reduce the the force of the striker/firing pin.

Reputable makers of aftermarket connectors aren't generally a problem. More problems occur with connector issues are ones where people start monkeying with them using dremel tools or files.

Axcelea
09-09-12, 01:26
I've seen more reliability issues with reduced power striker springs than anything else over the years. Personally, I like the gun to go bang when I pull the trigger. Surest way to prevent that is to reduce the the force of the striker/firing pin.

When considering doing anything I wondered wtf anyone would reduce the power of the striker spring. I guess if it were a competition gun and someone was looking at fractions of a second it would be ok, otherwise real world application says going bang every time wins.

Not sure on connectors though. If it has a positive reset and doesn't break or mess up after 1,000 rounds, shouldn't it be safe to give a green light to? Granted there isn't much wrong with a factory Glock trigger that makes replacement of most the parts a requirement (Sights, slide stop, and mag release sure).

Rattlehead
09-09-12, 02:14

I don't use "-" connector's because the factory connectors fail, I swap them out because I prefer the pull on the minus.

I try and only use OEM Glock connectors if possible, there really isn't a reason not to unless you're looking for a super light, no pretravel/overtravel match trigger.

Ghost connectors have been hit or miss for me. I've had some that had incredible creep, even after ~1k/break in. However, I've felt Ghost connectors in other Glocks that feel better than just about anything.

platoonDaddy
09-09-12, 08:18
I recommend Ghost connectors or OEM. Anything else I wouldnt trust, but I know I can trust ghost or glock connectors because of my personal experience with them.

Bought two 3.5 Ghost Connectors, one works great and the other has reset issues.

Would love to purchase a OEM 3.5 connector, but only LEO's can purchase. :(

Palmguy
09-09-12, 08:49
Bought two 3.5 Ghost Connectors, one works great and the other has reset issues.

http://www.glockmeister.com/45-Pound-Stock-Connector/productinfo/G721/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-Minus-Connector-not-aftermarket-Genuine-/110935375078?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d4437ce6

MAP
09-09-12, 08:52

I've bought several Glock factory "-" connectors from the EE on this site.

Mike

jmp45
09-09-12, 09:19
I just installed this oem in my 19.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290768545437?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

platoonDaddy
09-09-12, 12:35
dang, the local glock dealer in our area, wouldn't sell me one. Said he is only allowed to sell OEM "-" connectors to LEO's.

Thanks for the links on purchasing an OEM '-' connector.

grantoga
09-09-12, 13:22
I guess I feel pretty comfortable with my Shearer connectors, although I have a g30 with a LW 3.5 connector with the "wasp waist" that I may replace. I found this interesting

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/03/well-i-did-it.html

Kyle Defoor had to replace his trigger spring 8 times on his journey to over 200K rounds. This is another reason I prefer a NY1 spring.
Side note- he also says its only had 2 recoil springs too.