PDA

View Full Version : Which .22 pistol for training?

wild_wild_wes
02-02-08, 12:37
Which .22 pistol would you recommend for training (volume shooting practice, and teaching others how to shoot)?

Boris
02-02-08, 12:57
If you already have a 1911, consider a .22 LR conversion kit.

-B

wild_wild_wes
02-02-08, 13:27
No 1911.

My dad used have one of those Rugers that look like a Luger, and it shot nice...bitch to fieldstrip though...

Rule303
02-02-08, 13:40
I have a Ruger 22/45. Pretty nice pistol--reliable, accurate, nice controls, fits my hand well (I've been told that it has the same grip angle as the 1911) and there are a lot of little upgrades that the user can add to it. But, like you said, it's a bitch to field strip.

What pistols do you have? A .22LR conversion kit can be found for a lot of common pistol types.

Akoni
02-02-08, 13:59
I like my Browning Buckmark a lot.

graffex
02-02-08, 14:16

+1

The Buckmark is much nicer than the Ruger in my opinion. I'd get that if you don't have a 1911 or Glock that you can get a conversion kit for.

cdvanns
02-02-08, 14:42
Ruger KMK512

HoBoBum
02-02-08, 16:22
ditto on the conversion kits.....
ditto

condition 1
02-02-08, 17:10
Ruger MK2, hands down,once you learn how to disassemble/assemble,cleaning is a non issue. there is a ton of accessories for the MK2, it is also the perfect host for a suppressor.:cool:

CleverNickname
02-02-08, 17:44
I'd disagree on the MkII as a suppressor host. I used to have one that I used as a host but suppressing a MkII just makes more even more crud blow back into the action. Mine got so dirty after awhile that I had to detail strip it. So I did. Once. It disassembles pretty easily but you need five hands to reassemble it. I sold it after I finally got it reassembled.

I now have a threaded Marvel 1911 kit I use on my Springfield and am much happier with the time it takes to clean.

wild_wild_wes
02-02-08, 22:02
What about the Walther P22?

Lumpy196
02-02-08, 22:12

Shot the snot out of mine over the last 8 years. It's been very reliable, accurate and small enough that my kids and my wife have been able to handle it effectively.

thetallengineer
02-02-08, 23:49
I have a Beretta .22 Conversion kit for my 92FS, which is a lot of fun to shoot and usually functions without a hiccup. Sig Sauer is supposed to be releasing conversion kits for the P220, P226, and P229.

I prefer using a conversion kit on a gun I normally shoot. It helps you learn the trigger and is more fun than dry firing.

MonteSmoke
02-03-08, 00:20
What about the Walther P22?

i have one i like it. no jams yet but it throws the shell random.

thetallengineer
02-03-08, 00:29
I've shot the P22 and it was a neat pistol but too small for my hands. I couldn't use my normal gripping technique.

I'm 6'5, so someone with smaller hands would probably be okay.

MonteSmoke
02-03-08, 01:04
I've shot the P22 and it was a neat pistol but too small for my hands. I couldn't use my normal gripping technique.

I'm 6'5, so someone with smaller hands would probably be okay.

ya i know what you talking about. i am 5'10 210 and the grip is just a little small for me but not to bad. but its a 22 so where is the kick.

sff70
02-03-08, 01:21
Marvel .22 conversion on one of my 1911s.

Very reliable, very accurate.

Buckaroo
02-03-08, 07:18
I use my Glock with an AA conversion kit.

I like it better than any other .22 I have personally owned.

I am really tempted by the Walther P22 but have not shot one.

Buckaroo

thetallengineer
02-03-08, 10:46
ya i know what you talking about. i am 5'10 210 and the grip is just a little small for me but not to bad. but its a 22 so where is the kick.

I didn't mean that I needed a strong grip to handle recoil, but that I wasn't able to use my normal grip which is most comfortable and natural for me. Plus if I'm using it as a trainer I'd prefer something similar in grip size for what I intend to use when shooting centerfire.

MonteSmoke
02-03-08, 14:00
I didn't mean that I needed a strong grip to handle recoil, but that I wasn't able to use my normal grip which is most comfortable and natural for me. Plus if I'm using it as a trainer I'd prefer something similar in grip size for what I intend to use when shooting centerfire.

i gotch ya. i feel the same way that why i train with a 9mm more. the 22 is just for fun and for newbs to guns

ColtCCO
02-10-08, 21:48
Another vote for the Buckmark - good feel, good controls, and very accurate. Unlike the Ruger, takedown and reassembly is a breeze, though ther than that, the Ruger is a strong contender. I have wanted to get a .22LR kit from Kimber or Marvel, but the Buckmark is just so nice that I don't feel the need to double up yet.

The P22 is hit or miss - we've solds well over three hundred, and the breakage/failure rate is way too high. Say 1 in about every 15 or so, that we sell, makes it way back to S&W - that we know of. Our gunsmiths hate the things - any P22 with a significant round count breaks one or more parts, or just stops working from general worn-out-ness after a whole 2-3k rounds through it - And yet, if we don't stock them, the locals complain. Whatcha gonna do?

f.2
02-11-08, 01:15
Buck Marks are good. Do the Hegis trigger job linked below - takes a few minutes and you get a very sweet pull. Go straight to page 3 of the thread below for a step by step procedure with pictures.

buck mark trigger job (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174356&highlight=trigger)

Don't fret Ruger's takedown either. After taking my 22/45 MK III apart a few times it a breeze. Bullseye's site helps:

Gun Talk Online (http://www.guntalk-online.com/service.html)

wild_wild_wes
02-11-08, 01:52
I think the P22 is off the list for me. Looking at my dad's Ruger MkIII, I don't see how that thing would ever wear out. I mean, it is essentially a large chunk of steel, not soft zinc like the Walther.

panzerr
02-11-08, 10:24
22 Conversion kits

+1 for plinking

-1 for training

I had one for my 1911. Had as in past tense.

The conversion kit was fun for messing around, but there was one thing that I felt made it a poor training tool -my kit didn't lock the slide back on the last round. This was unsat because your training equipment should resemble your actual fighting gear as close as possible in feel and function. My conversion kit had close to the same feel (with the exception of recoil obviosly) but did not function the same. Magazine reloading drills were slightly different, not to mention it was impossible to tell when I was out of ammunition (aside from counting rounds which isn't realistic in a high adrenaline situation) because the slide did not lock back. It was different enough for me to dump the kit on gunbroker.

Seafarinman
02-11-08, 10:36
I also recommend the Ruger pistol. I had a 5" bbl 22/45 that was great to shoot. Just had to learn to clean it without taking it completely apart. The first time that I put it back together I damaged some parts and had to order replacements from Ruger.

Amp Mangum
02-11-08, 11:25
I like the Ruger 22/45. Mine has been super reliable even when it gets very dirty.

rob_s
02-11-08, 11:52
22 Conversion kits

+1 for plinking

-1 for training

I had one for my 1911. Had as in past tense.

The conversion kit was fun for messing around, but there was one thing that I felt made it a poor training tool -my kit didn't lock the slide back on the last round. This was unsat because your training equipment should resemble your actual fighting gear as close as possible in feel and function. My conversion kit had close to the same feel (with the exception of recoil obviosly) but did not function the same. Magazine reloading drills were slightly different, not to mention it was impossible to tell when I was out of ammunition (aside from counting rounds which isn't realistic in a high adrenaline situation) because the slide did not lock back. It was different enough for me to dump the kit on gunbroker.

I look at it as an opportunity to work on malfunction drills.

panzerr
02-11-08, 12:05
I look at it as an opportunity to work on malfunction drills.

Good point. But I get enough of those with my reloaded ammunition! :D

Spurholder
02-11-08, 13:02
Browning BuckMark.

AGaillard
02-11-08, 13:30
My father handed down his Colt Woodsman to my son. It runs like a champ. I use it to practice/warm up at the range before moving up to my 1911.

DialTone301
02-11-08, 13:31
Ruger MKII Target model

sapper36
02-11-08, 14:22
I have a bunch of 22's to get my kids going. So far they are still on the rifles but I have a Ruger MK II and a Hi Standard revolver so they can know thier way around the two types of handguns.

TWR
02-16-08, 20:50
I recently took a chance and purchased a Sig Mosquito, it had a few hiccups in the first 200 rounds or so but now it shoots cheap milk carton ammo to Winchester power points without any problems. It's almost as accurate as any Ruger or Buckmark I ever had and just feels better in my hands. I like it so much I just traded my Glock 32 for a Sig 228 today so everythings close to the same. The 228 was my first serious carry pistol and I regretted trading it off, now I feel like I've come full circle.

Back to the point, don't dismiss the skeeter it just needs to be lubed well and shot alot.

thetallengineer
02-17-08, 01:40
I've read on sigforum that the Mosquito is somewhat ammo sensitive but seems to do well with CCI Mini-mags for just about every owner.

kihnspiracy
02-17-08, 04:46
Get a Ruger MKII. Your grandkids probably won't wear it out.

mactastic
02-17-08, 11:20
Ruger Mark III. Hands down, great pistol. I didn't think they could improve the Mark II but I was wrong.

Bitch to detail strip at first but once you get the hang of it it's very easy.

Also there are some very nice Paclite uppers you can put on it if you'd just like it to be super light, or suppress!

Rembrandt
02-17-08, 11:26
Smith & Wesson model 41......originally designed for those in three gun competition to make the transition from a 1911. Has the same grip angle, ergonomics, weight, and balance of the slab side. Excellent sights. Quick release barrel can be removed in seconds for cleaning or changed with a longer version. Not cheap, but quality never is. Available with 12 round magazines.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/5.jpg