PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed Gentlemen: DD M4/V7 or 6920+Troy Alpha

wayner
09-08-12, 09:53
Good Morning Gentlemen:

I'll be purchasing a second AR-15 this weekend.

I'm in a bit of a quandry and I need the advise of those who came before me.

Should I purchase the DD M4/V7 (lightweight) that comes with the rail I want for about $1400 or should I purchase a good ole' Colt 6920 and a Troy Alpha Rail?

I figure the Colt will cost me shipped and transferred about $1100 and the rail shipped will be about $270 (I think) for a total of $1370.

The M4/V7 shipped and transferred will be $1390 or call it $1400.

In your opinion, is the DD a better overall gun than the Colt?

What are the pluses and minuses of the DD and the Colt.

Thank you in advance for your help guys.

wayner

RIDE
09-08-12, 09:57
Both are great quality rifles, and it comes down to personal preference. There is no real difference in price as you've listed, and you mention that you want the rail on the DD, so why not get what you want?

wayner
09-08-12, 10:17
Both are great quality rifles, and it comes down to personal preference. There is no real difference in price as you've listed, and you mention that you want the rail on the DD, so why not get what you want?

Do you have experience with the DD and the Colt? Is the build quality and finish better on the DD?

I own neither of the brands and have never shot or even seen a DD in person.

Blak1508
09-08-12, 10:36
Ok your situation is a tad different from mine in that I was buying my first AR and with the help of a very informed Friend he narrowed it down for me to the DD M4V1 or the colt 6920. After him mentioning the upgrades that the DD included, I realized that I would prob put more money into the colt and if I bought the DD I would have most of the mods I wanted standard. So I went with the DD, while I do not have experience with the COlt I can tell you the DD is a dream, I am not sure which rail system comes on the DD you are mentioning but I believe it is the OMEGA rail which is great. Both ARs are Mil-S I believe so it comes down to preference, you really cannot go wrong with either IMO, but like I said the DD is a freaking dream to shoot, the finish is awesome and I just love the operation of it. I could not be happier that I went with them.. I would check out Rainer arms.. They have a price match and will beat as long as the the rifle is in stock at another site.

AKDoug
09-08-12, 10:40
If you have any trouble with the rifle DD will generally take care of it faster. Otherwise they would be comparable. My DDM4V7 is a great rifle.

wayner
09-08-12, 10:47
Ok your situation is a tad different from mine in that I was buying my first AR and with the help of a very informed Friend he narrowed it down for me to the DD M4V1 or the colt 6920. After him mentioning the upgrades that the DD included, I realized that I would prob put more money into the colt and if I bought the DD I would have most of the mods I wanted standard. So I went with the DD, while I do not have experience with the COlt I can tell you the DD is a dream, I am not sure which rail system comes on the DD you are mentioning but I believe it is the OMEGA rail which is great. Both ARs are Mil-S I believe so it comes down to preference, you really cannot go wrong with either IMO, but like I said the DD is a freaking dream to shoot, the finish is awesome and I just love the operation of it. I could not be happier that I went with them.. I would check out Rainer arms.. They have a price match and will beat as long as the the rifle is in stock at another site.

That's the type of answer I'm looking for my friend. Thank you for your insight. This confirms my assumptions.

If you have any trouble with the rifle DD will generally take care of it faster. Otherwise they would be comparable. My DDM4V7 is a great rifle.

Awesome. Thank you.

Split66
09-08-12, 11:05
Here's my Colt and my buddies DDm4v7, I have a good deal trigger time on both rifles......

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt86/splittiebus66/IMG_1793.jpg

The DD is probably the best option for you as it comes from the factory exactly how you want it. The quality is in both guns and the differences in how they shoot is un remarkable.

F-Trooper05
09-08-12, 11:12
the differences in how they shoot is un remarkable.

You don't notice a difference in recoil between the middy and the carbine systems?

FChen17213
09-08-12, 11:49
Both are good. Keep in mind though that the Colt will require a little bit of handy man work or a gunsmith. You will have to shave down the FSB on the Colt or install a low profile gas block to install the Alpha Rail.

That being said some people do prefer the Alpha Rail to the DD MFR. It is personal preference.

VIP3R 237
09-08-12, 12:47
That being said some people do prefer the Alpha Rail to the DD MFR. It is personal preference.

I'm one of these^

Honestly I dont think there is much a difference between the two rifles, both are high quality firearms that will serve you well. Personally i'd go with the Colt just because i prefer the alpha vs mfr.

Redbeardsong
09-08-12, 13:55
Both are excellent. For me, the Daniel Defense is the one to pick. DD's fit and finish are better than Colt, it's a mid length system, lo-pro gasblock and rail from the factory, has a 20,000 round life cold, hammer forged barrel, and has nice extras like a quick detach sling swivel socket in the receiver plate, a beveled magwell, includes a hard case, and has a lifetime guarantee, vs. Colt's 1-year, which you would void by removing the sight and delta ring to mount a rail. Chances are you won't need to call either company with any issues.

Also, if you're comparing a lightweight barrel V7, the Colt 6720 is the closer comparison.

Split66
09-08-12, 15:13
You don't notice a difference in recoil between the middy and the carbine systems?

No not really. It's not a night or day thing for me between any of the properly spec'd carbines I've shot (middy or carbine gas). NOW on the other hand vs a DPMS or Windham.....thats like getting punched vs the milspec guns :D

wayner
09-09-12, 11:12
Both are excellent. For me, the Daniel Defense is the one to pick. DD's fit and finish are better than Colt, it's a mid length system, lo-pro gasblock and rail from the factory, has a 20,000 round life cold, hammer forged barrel, and has nice extras like a quick detach sling swivel socket in the receiver plate, a beveled magwell, includes a hard case, and has a lifetime guarantee, vs. Colt's 1-year, which you would void by removing the sight and delta ring to mount a rail. Chances are you won't need to call either company with any issues.

Also, if you're comparing a lightweight barrel V7, the Colt 6720 is the closer comparison.

Thank you for your insight. Features that you mentioned, better fit and finish and the warranty are important data points that I was looking for in my decision.

wayner
09-09-12, 11:18
Gentlemen, who woul dbe the top few dealers I should look to buy from?

I want to give money to a good company.

Big Sky in MT is OOS but has great pricing. Mike over there is a great guy. He explained the philosophy in fit and finish between Colt products and DD. Colt makes a Mil-Spec duty gun that will go bang honestly. However according to Mike, they are just recently realizing that the civilian market wants more. DD adds those touches the people want.

Who is your favorite DD dealer?

PM me if need be. If you ar a dealer, please chime in or PM me. I'm looking to buy todfay. M4V7 lightweight or Gov't profile (LW preferred).

Thank you gentlemen.

seb5
09-09-12, 12:13
I generally purchase from Rainier, Grant, or DSG Arms. You "may" want to also consider the Rainier RUC. It's a lot of gun for the money and based on spending some time with 2 they are a great quality weapon as well and are in the configuration you're looking at.

Redbeardsong
09-09-12, 13:33
I'm partial to Clyde Armory, but I'm biased. :)

We sell out of DD rifles almost as fast as we get them in, but I think we've got some V1s, V2s and a V7 in stock at the moment. More are on the way.

http://clydearmory.com

KarbonChemist
09-09-12, 15:48
I did a ton of research and talked with several shooters, and like the posts in this thread...I thought the DD was a better value buy.

I ended up with a great deal on a V4 and live the weapon. I recently had a chance to shoot a buddys Colt...nice gun too, but I'm not partial to DD's. Great company to work with!

Blak1508
09-09-12, 18:45
I ordered from Rainer arms ... Mike, Paul, and Mak are great and will explain everything bit by bit, I ordered my rifle on a Friday and had it by the next Friday, I live in Pa and they are in Washington State, 7.95 for shipping regardless as well.. Not a bad deal. Other then them I've ordered from G R tactical and they were fast as well but never bought a rifle from them yet:D

wayner
09-10-12, 19:19
I'm going with a Rainer Arms RUC.

Basically $100 more than the DD and you get some good value features. (Giselle trigger, decent sights, nice rail, 6.7 lbs, gunfighter charging handle. DD barrel).

Speak now or forever hold your peace. The $1500 is getting sent to RA tomorrow. If there's something I should know about RA please tell me. Thank you.

Blak1508
09-10-12, 19:53
I think your getting a real nice setup, I was looking at their 16 when I ordered my V1 ... I think your good to go man.. Look I spent 1500 on the DD V1 and I'm now buying the BCM charging handle 50, I would eventually like a trigger job, I'm not sure how much that will cost .. But you get it all included. My only gripe was their rail, that was just preference I like the Omega rail system... As I said that's just me... Best of luck and let us know what you decide. I am sure you will be more then H.A.S. with your decision.

JimBow
09-12-12, 09:26
I know I'm probably a little late but I own the DD your looking at and had a Colt 6920 ( I sold the Colt to put a down payment on a new car for my wife). Between the 2 the DD is a lot more bang for the buck. Omega rail, DD rear sight, and Magpul stock, Plus I like the feel of the mid length better than the Colt. I do like the Colt and may get another some day as a back up , but between the 2 the DD is a notch better IMHO. Jim

Czarny_Orzel
09-12-12, 16:35
I know I'm probably a little late but I own the DD your looking at and had a Colt 6920 ( I sold the Colt to put a down payment on a new car for my wife). Between the 2 the DD is a lot more bang for the buck. Omega rail, DD rear sight, and Magpul stock, Plus I like the feel of the mid length better than the Colt. I do like the Colt and may get another some day as a back up , but between the 2 the DD is a notch better IMHO. Jim

This ^ I have two DDv7's. Sold off a Franklin Armory HSC-15 to get the 2nd Daniel. I have not been sorry. I have one DD set up with a 3-9X40 Nikon scope, the other with a Bushnell Rd dot. Both have been superb. And the DD customer service is nothing short of awesome.

TMS951
09-13-12, 13:51
The DD will be all factory, and not have the stupid fcuking M203 notch. It will have a nice light Hammer forged barrel though.

Also unless you are going to install the rail yourself, there will be labor costs to modify the colt to take the Troy rail.

Also what happens with your colt warranty after you modify the gun?

Get the DD

DeltaSierra
09-13-12, 18:32
The DD will be all factory, and not have the stupid fcuking M203 notch.

If that isn't the worst possible point to consider when making your choice, I don't know what is....

TMS951
09-14-12, 10:15
I assume you are referring to my distain for the M203 notch?

I think it is worth while to consider, it is a retarded barrel profile. It is thin under the hand guards, where a heavy profile would be beneficial closer to the chamber. But then it is a larger diameter out front, where weight makes a bigger difference. It may make it stiffer, but that is pretty much ruined by the M203 notch because it will just flex there.

Other than to mount the M203, the M4 barrel is ****ing stupid. It is the one I would like to have least on a gun other than Hbar, but at least Hbar serves a purpose.

If colt was going to go to the trouble to make the barrel 16" for civilians, don't bother with the 203 notch for civilians, it serves no purpose and detracts from the performance of the rifle.

wayner
09-15-12, 10:57
Guys, I went and did more research so the current thread title is more worthless than tits on a hog.

I bought a Rainier Arms RUC lightweight 14.5" barrel w/ pinned XTC comp.

The specs on the gun are incredible.

Personally I couldn't build a similar gun (now in September 2012) for the price. Perhaps post election I could (depending on who wins) but right now I could not.

14.5″ Standard or Lightweight Cold Hammer Forged 5.56mm Barrel (Daniel Defense)
Extended M4 Feed Ramps
MPI HP tested Bolt
Auto carrier with properly staked carrier key
1 in 7″ twist
Mil Spec Phosphate finish
Mid length gas system
1⁄2×28 threads
Pinned low profile gas block
Forged flat-top upper receiver
Rainier Arms Evolution Free Float System - 12.0
BCM Gun Fighter Charging Handle
Rainier Arms XTC pinned to 16″ OAL
Diamond Head Back Up Iron Sights
Forged Lower
Mil-Spec 6 position receiver extension
H Buffer
Vltor iMod Carbine stock
Magpul MOE+ pistol grip
One 30 rd mag included
Rifle Weight: 6 1⁄2 lbs
Geissele G2S trigger

I have a BCM BCG ready to install but I don't believe there is much difference between the Rainier BCG and the BCM.

brzusa.1911
09-15-12, 11:54
DD hands down, Colt is just name, and bulk manufacturing. Also, take into consideration the Colt is a carbine system and the V7 is a middy. On a 16" rifle, I prefer middy.

dan45hk
09-15-12, 23:07
For a long history of reliability, Colt. For resale, Colt. For the name, Colt. Not that there's anything wrong with DD, but they are the new kid on the block relatively speaking. Either one should perform equally well however.

DeltaSierra
09-16-12, 13:16
I assume you are referring to my distain for the M203 notch?

I think it is worth while to consider, it is a retarded barrel profile. It is thin under the hand guards, where a heavy profile would be beneficial closer to the chamber. But then it is a larger diameter out front, where weight makes a bigger difference. It may make it stiffer, but that is pretty much ruined by the M203 notch because it will just flex there.

Other than to mount the M203, the M4 barrel is ****ing stupid. It is the one I would like to have least on a gun other than Hbar, but at least Hbar serves a purpose.

If colt was going to go to the trouble to make the barrel 16" for civilians, don't bother with the 203 notch for civilians, it serves no purpose and detracts from the performance of the rifle.

You know, all that "theoretical" stuff doesn't do me, or you, any good.

Fact is, I have yet to have any issues with a weapon, due to the presence (or lack thereof) of the M203 cut. Amazing how that works...

Not only that, but if you don't want the M203 cut, Colt actually offers barrel profiles that don't have that M203...

I guess what really sets me off is when I see "recommendations" on gear that are based in theory, and not real world use.

JB326
09-16-12, 13:39
I realize you've settled your debate, but I'll chime in on the tubes... I once thought the V7 would be my be all, end all rifle. Then I handled an Alpha tube, and I like it MUCH better than the MFR. so now, it will be my end all rifle once I get an Alpha rail on it.

Strykeback
09-17-12, 16:34
Thought Id jump in and see how your purchase went. Ive been toying with the m4v7 lw DD as my first AR vs building atleast my own lower and getting the upper since that would save me from purchasing extra tools for the build.

But then I stumbled onto some arguments I had never heard. A middy 14.5 barrel with a comp or hider might not be reliable with certain ammo vs a carbine gas system. Since a 16" middy with comp is now out to 18" total length.

Obviously no one stops at just one so for the first build was thinking an ultra light cqb build. Preferably Dd lw barrel and the new noveske nsr 13.5 rail.

Would be buying from Ranier. How was your experience?

Meth0d
09-18-12, 11:18
Since a 16" middy with comp is now out to 18" total length.

What?

Strykeback
09-18-12, 12:00
What?

Meant once you add your compensator youve extended the length of your rifle another one to two inches.

pentosinjunkie
09-18-12, 13:20
Thought Id jump in and see how your purchase went. Ive been toying with the m4v7 lw DD as my first AR vs building atleast my own lower and getting the upper since that would save me from purchasing extra tools for the build.

But then I stumbled onto some arguments I had never heard. A middy 14.5 barrel with a comp or hider might not be reliable with certain ammo vs a carbine gas system. Since a 16" middy with comp is now out to 18" total length.

Obviously no one stops at just one so for the first build was thinking an ultra light cqb build. Preferably Dd lw barrel and the new noveske nsr 13.5 rail.

Would be buying from Ranier. How was your experience?

My RUC 14.5 hasn't hiccuped yet on Wolf. I run overwhelmingly PPU brass M193 clone ammo, though...no problems yet.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

packers
09-18-12, 15:43
DD hands down, Colt is just name, and bulk manufacturing. Also, take into consideration the Colt is a carbine system and the V7 is a middy. On a 16" rifle, I prefer middy.

I agreed dd hands down!! DD is great business to deal with!