PDA

View Full Version : DSA opinions

jeto
09-08-12, 14:44
looking to purchase a 16" md-length upper from DSA. looking for opinions on them as i know no one who has anything DSA. how is their shipping, customer sevrice, etc.

polymorpheous
09-08-12, 14:47
Orange search button. Use it.
http://m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=DSA&siteurl=m4carbine.net%2Findex.php&ref=&ss=16462j135750772j3

In short, DSA's AR15 offerings blow.

MCS
09-08-12, 14:49
Much better options out there.

H2H
09-08-12, 15:03
I purchased a lower from them ~ a year ago. Worked out for me well, shipped to my FFL on time. All has been good. I need to replace the receiver extension, should have been mil spec, but not. Actually it is not the popular commercial demension either. In between (???). Made it tough when I wanted to replace the stock.

ARonBoard
09-08-12, 15:07
Search once.
Buy once.
Cry once.

mpardun
09-08-12, 15:19
Love my DSA stainless para-FAL. Companies often fall short when they try to be all things to all people. DSA should stick to their core expertise.

It's been said, many better options out there!

VIP3R 237
09-08-12, 15:33
In short, DSA's AR15 offerings blow.

+1 on this, one of my friends bought a DSA nitrated upper and that thing had the roughest bore i've seen in a long time.

Do yourself a favor and pass

SomeOtherGuy
09-08-12, 20:56
DSA makes great FALs.

The discontinued nitride-treated barreled uppers were fine, in my experience (I still own one), but nothing special.

I have a DSA 300BLK with the stainless barrel, so far so good, again nothing really impresses me either good or bad.

I believe DSA has gone to unlined chrome-moly barrels which is something I (and most others here) would avoid. In short, as already said above, there are better options in the AR world.

SomeOtherGuy
09-08-12, 21:00
Now to answer your specific questions - I have dealt with DSA a fair bit as the owner of several of their FALs, one of which was recalled, and having ordered various parts and accessories from them. Their website generally sucks (1998 called, etc.), and online ordering does not work well. However, if you call them up they are friendly and helpful, though you might get put on hold for a couple minutes as they steer you to the correct person. If you have any issues with their product, their service has (for me) been great - they pay shipping both ways to fix it and generally provide a high level of service. Again, use the phone. I think emails to DSA go into the 8th circle of hell or something about half the time, but on the phone they are great.

jeto
09-08-12, 21:04
obviously im on a budget. i have also been intrigued with r guns upper. surprisingly cheaper then the DSA. slow on shipping but i understand that they are a small company.

SomeOtherGuy
09-08-12, 21:13
You might want to do some quick research on R Guns as well, I don't think you'll choose to proceed on that path.

Palmetto State Armory has cheap deals on uppers all the time - right in the same price range as DSA and R Guns - and I would choose a PSA offering far ahead of the other two in the budget upper race.

everyusernametaken
09-08-12, 22:16
Written on my TRS-80 using Lynx.

:blink:

uncle money bags
09-08-12, 22:17
You might want to do some quick research on R Guns as well, I don't think you'll choose to proceed on that path.

Palmetto State Armory has cheap deals on uppers all the time - right in the same price range as DSA and R Guns - and I would choose a PSA offering far ahead of the other two in the budget upper race.

I second the PSA nomination. There is absolutely no reason to buy an inferior gun when, for the same price or less, you can have the quality of PSA.

polymorpheous
09-08-12, 22:30
What exactly is your budget?

jeto
09-08-12, 22:52
ruffly $500 or so.

bobsolla
09-08-12, 23:45
i would also point you in the way of psa for that budget!you can always just save for a wile longer and get something nicer like a bcm or colt.just saying!good luck!

I-M4-REAL
09-09-12, 08:15
IF you were an "athlete" would you buy your shoes at K-Mart?
So IF you're an "AR enthusiast" why would you buy your parts from DSA or R-GUNS?(non mil-spec poop)
$ave your dough and buy from a "real" weapons manufacture that makes quality "mil-spec"components that will "perform" and "last" as intended!
Colt
LMT
BCM

p22shooter30
09-09-12, 12:26
go the the industry section at ar15.com. no bs - thier shipping times from the time you place your order is 3 - 5 months for AR uppers. go with psa unless you arent planning on shooting till next spring.

polymorpheous
09-09-12, 13:53
ruffly $500 or so.

That is a very small budget for a complete gun.
A quality complete upper costs over $500.

You can get a barreled upper for $299 at Palmetto State Armory right now.
That's a start.

C4IGrant
09-09-12, 14:21
obviously im on a budget. i have also been intrigued with r guns upper. surprisingly cheaper then the DSA. slow on shipping but i understand that they are a small company.

You get what you pay for.

It is better to save your money and buy used than buy new junk.

C4

The_War_Wagon
09-09-12, 14:48
My last AR started out with one of their stripped uppers. It was in-spec, and I've no complaints with it.

My personal experience with DSA is, that their products are good, but their customer service blows. 2-3 weeks shipping time, took 18 weeks, the LAST time I ordered something from them (2008).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy their gear... from someone ELSE. :o

jeto
09-09-12, 17:15
think im going to go with the psa complete upper. it's $420 with a upgraded HG to a magpul. that leaves me with more for optics then what i had set aside.

raZor71
09-10-12, 12:28
You won't regret buying a PSA upper one bit.

p22shooter30
09-10-12, 12:54
i have been waiting 2 weeks for my shipping confirmation from palmetto, they havent responded to any emails either. i hope this is not the way they are going to start doing business or they will end up like DSA

500grains
09-10-12, 14:03
Is PSA using milspec parts?

C4IGrant
09-10-12, 14:45
Is PSA using milspec parts?

The definition of "mil-spec" is that all the parts will interchange with other "mil-spec" parts. BM claims to be "mil-spec" (FYI).

I think the question you want to ask is; "Are they using parts that follow the TDP."

C4

fallenromeo
09-10-12, 16:54
I think the question you want to ask is; "Are they using parts that follow the TDP."

C4

Are they?

raZor71
09-10-12, 18:50
This is from PSA's website......

Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine gas system. M4A1 style profile is phosphate coated to mil-specs. Barrel is High Pressure tested, and Magnetic Particle inspected, to ensure quality and dependability, and is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, and A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, MPI and HPT. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside, and laser engraved with the Palmetto State Armory logo.

Lower: These forged lowers are quality made using material is 7075-T6 and are marked "MULTI" for caliber. Finish is Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2. Mil-spec-sized buffer tube has 6 adjustment positions, is finished with a Palmetto State Armory M4-style stock and has a staked castle nut. Standard carbine buffer is Black anodized and has the PSA logo on the face. The standard PSA combat trigger has a smooth pull and clean break.

fdxpilot
09-10-12, 18:54
i have been waiting 2 weeks for my shipping confirmation from palmetto, they havent responded to any emails either. i hope this is not the way they are going to start doing business or they will end up like DSA

Depends on what you bought. I had some ammo cans and a stock kit in less than a week, and some lowers in 8 days. However, if you ordered an upper, you must have seen this (as it's in red letters on every upper page I've looked at on their website.)

*Please allow up to 15 business days for your Complete Assembled Upper to ship from our facility. Holiday and special lead times can be longer

lethal dose
09-10-12, 20:10
If you are on a $500 budget, how will you ever afford to shoot it? At a MINIMUM, get an m&p15 sport.

lethal dose
09-10-12, 20:16
With that said, you will at least have some of the best customer support the firearms industry has to offer. I have dealt with them and have actually received FREE parts from them for another s&w firearm when I experienced failure.

jeto
09-10-12, 20:27
well guys, just bought a new upper from a fellow member. LAR flat top upper, PSA barrel, 14.5", BCG & CH, Midwest Industries Gen 2 ss 12" rail. $620 shipped. best part, it's more what i was looking for and didn't go to far my allowed budget from the wife. :dance3:

500grains
09-10-12, 20:41
I think PSA needs to be on the chart, so that the more dim-witted among us such as myself can see how things line up. But the blurb from their website does look promising.

lethal dose
09-10-12, 20:43
Dude! 500's back!

RMiller
09-10-12, 21:16
PSA is good stuff, but the little I've dealt with their customer service, its lacking.

p22shooter30
09-10-12, 22:13
Depends on what you bought. I had some ammo cans and a stock kit in less than a week, and some lowers in 8 days. However, if you ordered an upper, you must have seen this (as it's in red letters on every upper page I've looked at on their website.)

*Please allow up to 15 business days for your Complete Assembled Upper to ship from our facility. Holiday and special lead times can be longer

nope, just got me some assorted pins, a new bolt, and other small stuff. normally thier stuff ships right away. they could at least respond to my emails