PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for you Honda (car) experts

ralph
09-08-12, 19:53
I have a '99 CRV, anyway with in the last couple of weeks I started smelling coolant..So tonite I looked around and found a horizonal crack about 2 1/2" long in the top radiator tank..My question is, can these be retanked? or am I looking at buying a replacement radiator? I have another vehicle I can drive, I'm not going to risk driving the Honda until it's fixed...

Avenger29
09-08-12, 21:00
My sister's 99 civic did the exact same thing a couple of months ago. I swapped in a replacement new radiator for $80 and it took me an hour and was fairly easy.

You can drive it but you have to keep it topped off everytime you crank the car and it will lose a lot of water. You might try a repair epoxy too. We just figured for 80 bucks it was easier to swap and have a brand new radiator.

ralph
09-08-12, 21:30
My sister's 99 civic did the exact same thing a couple of months ago. I swapped in a replacement new radiator for $80 and it took me an hour and was fairly easy.

You can drive it but you have to keep it topped off everytime you crank the car and it will lose a lot of water. You might try a repair epoxy too. We just figured for 80 bucks it was easier to swap and have a brand new radiator.

That's kinda what I'm thinking as well, The last thing I need is for it to give out while driving to/from work..I'll just let it set until I get off this job I'm on, it's only going to last another couple of weeks. Once I'm off, I'll be able to take my time and fix it.. Thanks!

sammage
09-09-12, 01:38
You might be able to find an aluminum radiator for it, which would be easy to repair in the future. Should be an easy repair, the longest part will be draining the coolant.