PDA

View Full Version : stock--longest LOP?

ivokalok
09-08-12, 23:32
Looking for the longest stock I can put on an AR. Preferably collapsible (adjustable).

I've checked the specs of the usual suspects--Magpul and Vltor along with some other manufacturers.

The longest I've seen is the Magpul ACS (and -L) at 15" LOP, with the MOE the shortest at 13.95". Meanwhile, the VLTOR IMOD is at 14.75". By adding a thicker pad to the MAGPUL, I could get another .4". No specific specs but the same could be true for the VLTOR too.

Oddly to me, these seem longer than the fixed stocks' LOP.

Anyone walked this path before and/or know of a quality stock that is longer?

Sticks
09-09-12, 04:48
Vltor A5 receiver...although I would like to know where they are measuring from to get the 15" on the Magpul.

Length (collapsed) : 8.50 inches
Length of pull (fully extended): 12.50 inches
**All measurements are from the back of the receiver.

7 locking positions and will accept any other standard adjustable stock, just wont go all the way forward unless it is the E-mod (IIRC no worries about having to mortar if not the E-mod, the tube will be bottomed out in the stock when moved all the way forward)

Also makes for a very nice soft shooting rifle.

ST911
09-09-12, 09:38
Looking for the longest stock I can put on an AR. Preferably collapsible (adjustable).

Out of curiosity, why?

ivokalok
09-09-12, 12:45
Out of curiosity, why?

I'm 6'5" tall with a long neck. By the time I get my head down, it is so far forward and with a wide shoulder(stock starts far back)...it feels like sights are on my eyeball.

I know to not put the stock on the outside edge of the shoulder to move it forward some, but that's not enough to get me comfortable.

ivokalok
09-09-12, 13:04
Vltor A5 receiver...although I would like to know where they are measuring from to get the 15" on the Magpul

Thanks, I saw that (at their website, not in person), but as listed it is shorter than the Magpul.

From their website (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG370/87)
Specifications**

ACS, Mil-Spec (stock configuration)
Weight: 0.88 lb.
Weight, w/ Rec. Extension: 1.14 lb.
Length, Maximum: 7.95 in.
Width, Maximum: 2.58 in.
LOP Adjustment Range: 3.25 in.
LOP, M4 Collapsed: 11.75 in.
LOP, M4 Extended: 15.00 in.

I don't know if there is something unique about the "M4" mount...

Sticks
09-09-12, 13:22
I'm willing to bet that they are measuring from the trigger to the buttplate since they are using a standard milspec receiver extension.

If that is the case, then my Vltor A5 w/Emod is 11.5" to 15.5".

An A5 with the Magpul ACS might give you another .75"

FWIW I am 6'3" and change, freakish long neck and arms, and I thought that I would need the entire length of the A5. I spend most of my shooting on pos. 6, and my nose is just shy of the charging handle. My biggest assest is the 12" rail to get my support arm out there in a comfortable manner.

Nocaster
09-09-12, 14:24
My first post on this site, so don't flame me if I am way off base, but isn't there a widget from DPMS called a stock extender that's supposed to give you a couple of extra inches of LOP? Goes between the stock and the end plate. I've seen people use it with entry length fixed stocks.

sapper36
09-09-12, 14:30
nevermind

ST911
09-09-12, 22:25
I am also a knuckle-dragger. I shoot with the stock collapsed in armor, one position out without armor, and one or two positions out in prone (depending).

Is this some competivite, bullseye, competition style shooting you're doing, or something more practical oriented? If the latter, it's pretty rare that longer stocks are required or desired, even among we yetis.

lengthofpull
09-10-12, 00:10
At 6'11" with a 7' wingspan i found myself in the same boat.

Not wanting to cobble together some custom solution I ended up going with Vltor A5 + Magpul CTR + Magpul Enhanced Rubber butt-pad on my carbine. It works well enough for me.

If you decide not to go collapsible the DPMS 1" spacers work reasonably well on an A2 stock.

-LOP

sinlessorrow
09-10-12, 08:24
Are yall squaring up to the target? Or going competition relying on bone support chicken wing style?

Ramone
09-10-12, 09:17
"Length Of Pull" is properly measured from the trigger to the end of the buttstock.

Often, when referring to AR rifles, LOP used to refer to the length of the stock alone.