PDA

View Full Version : Why Does This Site Run Slow?

Butch
09-09-12, 14:30
I have a brand new computer with all the latest/greatest. So bad ass I thought my Internet connection was holding me back. Called Comcast and got their blazing speed option.

EVERY site I go to loads the moment I click the mouse button... except this site.

Anyone know why? This morning I got a timeout error. It's frustrating visiting here. I'm telling you, it's only this site. I wait on this site like I have a dial up.

Kokopelli
09-09-12, 14:39
I have a brand new computer with all the latest/greatest. So bad ass I thought my Internet connection was holding me back. Called Comcast and got their blazing speed option.

EVERY site I go to loads the moment I click the mouse button... except this site.

Anyone know why? This morning I got a timeout error. It's frustrating visiting here. I'm telling you, it's only this site. I wait on this site like I have a dial up.

Hi.. Which browser are you using? Try some others and see if that helps.. Ron

Hmac
09-09-12, 14:50
It's not your browser. This site's functionality does have its occasional ups and downs.

cttbax
09-09-12, 16:29
I have seen it lag a bit at peak times. Last friday at lunchtime I could not get it to load at all on my work PC. A few hours later it came up just fine. I was using IE7.

SteveL
09-09-12, 16:35
This site is consistently the slowest of all the sites I routinely visit. Different browsers don't seem to make a difference.

t00sl0w
09-09-12, 16:49
Issues on the server side not client side is my bet so changing browsers wont help..simply wait until it gets better.

sent from my overcompensation tool known as the galaxy note

Kokopelli
09-09-12, 17:00
You may want to try this page load timer from different browsers, systems and gateways if you have multiple access points.. Ron

http://www.numion.com/stopwatch/

Stickman
09-09-12, 19:43
This site is consistently the slowest of all the sites I routinely visit. Different browsers don't seem to make a difference.

My guess would be it is a money issue. This site has been slow for a long time on every computer, personal or GOV that I use. The cost of upgrading things? I'm not a tech guy, but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. Unless M4C wants to jack the rates of its subscribers, I don't see a quick or easy answer.

SteveL
09-10-12, 22:08
My guess would be it is a money issue. This site has been slow for a long time on every computer, personal or GOV that I use. The cost of upgrading things? I'm not a tech guy, but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. Unless M4C wants to jack the rates of its subscribers, I don't see a quick or easy answer.

It's the same for me. I use two different computers at home and a few more at work, so I know it's nothing on my end. It's not the end of the world though. When I say it's the slowest site I frequent, I don't want to make it sound like it's dial up slow or anything extreme. It's nowhere near that bad. It's just a little slower than other sites is all.

Tedfs
09-15-12, 01:08
When was the last time the server drive or DataBase was defragged and compacted ?

panzerr
09-15-12, 06:20
It's not your browser. This site's functionality does have its occasional ups and downs.

Then why is it that when I get 504'd using chrome I can switch to Firefox and have no issue?

tb-av
09-15-12, 06:50
You could see some browser to browser differences but as others have mentioned, it's the server. It's been that way as long as I have been here. Get's worse at times. Been in a slowish phase for me the last month or so.

Hmac
09-15-12, 08:05
Then why is it that when I get 504'd using chrome I can switch to Firefox and have no issue?

I don't have any idea what might be going on with your computer.

SteveL
09-20-12, 23:11
I felt I should revisit this since I've posted in the past how slow this site runs for me. I finally figured out today that my router was going out so I replaced it. I'm seeing a huge difference in the speed on this site. It's still a tad slower than a lot of others, but nothing like it was before.

STAFF
09-21-12, 15:37
We are switching to new servers and upgrading the forum SW so please be patient as we make the transition.

Littlelebowski
09-21-12, 15:47
When was the last time the server drive or DataBase was defragged and compacted ?

This is not being run on Windows.

tb-av
09-21-12, 17:36
We are switching to new servers and upgrading the forum SW so please be patient as we make the transition.

You probably know this but I'll mention it anyway. Many hosts will mask out countries for you at their routers. Like getting rid of China for instance. So you end up with your software taking a lot less of a load in firewall duties.

Cagemonkey
10-07-12, 11:38
Sometimes this site runs up to speed. Other times, I can't log on for up to a week until things get back to normal. Using a Macbook with Safari browser and Comcast. This is the only website that does this and it is now Oct 7th 2012, long after the hacking/crash of the past.

robfromsc
10-07-12, 12:02
Runs slow sometimes for me, android or tablet. I bet we could all not b#$%& and chip in for some better servers. :)

Straight Shooter
10-08-12, 15:17
Ive got a 3 week old, smokin fast new computer. Everything I click is instantanious....except here. I will click the site, MOST times that pops up, but when I click on Forms..well it either doesnt come up, or takes a long time.
Its IS this site, it is NOT our computers.

Arik
10-08-12, 15:36
Same here especially between 8 and 9 in the morning just as im having my coffee and settling into my work day

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

sl4mdaddy
10-09-12, 07:35
Sometimes slow, sometimes not, sometimes...sh*t just happens.

Get over it, membership is free.

:rolleyes: