PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning barrel....

kstr0h
09-09-12, 16:13
Not that it matters but Ill state the rifle I have, a noveske n4. I have fired around 340 shots through it and have cleaned the bcg and upper a few times. I use clp, clean it uP and then leave it dry to sit in my room. I have yet to clean the barrel yet. I have the proper cleaning tools and cleaners, I'm just wondering when would be a good time to do it? I really haven't fired too many rounds through it and it's all been brass so the gun really hasn't got that dirty.

Kyohte
09-09-12, 16:32
Pat Rogers advocates not stressing about barrel cleaning. I generally tend to follow his advice. Ever since my boresnake incident, I'm very lax about cleaning my barrels anyway.

VIP3R 237
09-09-12, 16:42
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61505

This is a stickied thread that gives you base guidlines for ar15/m16 maintenance.

Arctic1
09-09-12, 17:05
Well, my approach to this is probably OCD according to some on this board, but I'll provide my 2 cents as to what works for me. I use CLP as well, btw.

First, I try to run a wet patch through the bore when I am done shooting, when the barrel is still warm, so that the lubricant can get to work loosening up the residue inside the micropores in the barrel.

When I get home or to the barracks, I usually start by cleaning the chamber with a chamber brush with lube on it. Wipe out the dirty lube/soot with q tips or a dry patch and the slim end of a standard nylon brush. I then use a copper/bronze brush that I cover with lube and run it trough the barrel a 3-4 times.

Remember to only clean in the direction the bullet travels, take it off after you have pushed it through the bore and out of the muzzle. Reattach, and give it another go. And repeat. I then run a couple dry patches through, to wipe out the dirty lube/soot. Same cleaning direction, pull the patch through in the direction the bullet travels.

I usually finish off by spraying some CLP down the bore, and then run my bore snake through it 3-4 times, and check with a dry patch. If it is only slightly dirty, that's ok, and I consider the bore to be cleaned. If there is significant residue on the patch, I will start the routine over again, from the copper/bronze brush.

And there is no need to leave the gun dry. When you are done cleaning, apply lube in the appropriate places and in a sufficient amount, and then store it. Lube also protects the weapon, and if you need it in a hurry, it's ready to go instead of bone dry.