PDA

View Full Version : New Diz multicam rig...

Hawkeye
02-02-08, 19:09
Many of you are familiar with the "Alleycat" chest rig that Diz and I collaborated on a couple of years ago. Here is our latest collaboration. Not sure what name Diz will end up giving it, but I'm sure he'll think of something snazzy.

I wanted a rig that was capable of a decent loadout, but with minimal bulk, and comfortable to wear. This one has 6 integral mag pouches, X harness, and detachable hydro carrier. The mag pouches can be had with or without removeable kydex inserts or horizontal bungee cord around the pouch for mag retention, and with bungee cord top retention or removable flaps. I went with the bungee cords since that is what I run on my other rigs, and I like to keep things consistent from one rig to the next. This one also has kydex inserts. These are a newer material than the older inserts I have for my alleycat, and I REALLY like them.

Most rigs with integral mag pouches, use a simple pancake style to form the pouches. While this is functional, Diz and I both agree that his way of forming the mag pouches with the outside layer of material, allows a much closer and smother fit to the body, with no bunching up of the material underneath as it tries to bend around your body. It also doesnt add any unneccessary tension to the mags.

The X harness has PALS webbing on it, for the attachment of things such as hydro carrier, etc. Any standard MOLLE/PALS type attachments will fit. This one is one Diz made. It bellows outwards instead of inwards, adding to its consistent comfort. You'll also notice the bungee cord on the exterior. This keeps tension on the bladder, helping to keep it compressed as water is taken out.

Instead of a strap and buckle arrangement for the bottom rear of the carrier, this one utilizes a hollow panel, through which the sides of the rig meet up, and are mated together with a adjustable bungee cord system. This allows the rig to be fitted snugly to the body, yet flex for breathing, etc. It makes the rig VERY stable and prevents bouncing, etc. PALS webbing is also on the outside of this panel as well.

The front of the X harness straps, have a non slip panel added on the right side (since I am a righty), to prevent your weapon stock from slipping. On the left, are some elastic loops to route your hydro tube through, radio mike lines, etc...

You'll also notice two other pouches that I had Diz make up for me. On the right, is a smaller version of his BOK pouch. I wanted one just big enough to put a Israeli bandage, ACS sponge or other blood clotting agent, a couple of rolls of kerlix, and a couple of regular bandaids in. I also had him add a velcro panel to affix patches to such as a first aid indicator patch.

On the left side, is a pouch that I had him make to hold my Aimpoint magnifier. I run my carbine normally with just the Aimpoint, and wanted to have the magnifier available for quick attachment should a more precise shot need to be taken. This pouch perfectly fits the magnifier with its attached mount. in my case, its the upper half of a standard Aimpoint twist & lock mount, but other mounts such as a Larue should also work just fine. You'll notice a small length of bungee cord run through a channel sewn around the pouch as well. This adds just enough retention to the pouch to retain the magnifier should the flap become unintentionally opened, but not so much to impede easily withdrawing it when needed.

I am still playing with the positioning of the BOK and magnifier pouches, but they seem to be plenty accessible for me where they are. Also below is a pick of some Khaki ones that I had him do to go on my plate carrier.

I cant say enough about the quality of Diz's work. It rivals the best I have ever seen from any maker. To say its outstanding, is an understatement. One feature you'll also notice is the drain grommets on all the pouches. When water and such gets in, and it will get in, its always a good idea to give it an expedient way out. Stay tuned, as he and I have a couple of things brewing...... :cool:
Thoughts, questions, comments, and suggestions welcome.

Front view:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk7.jpg

Left Shoulder strap:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk8.jpg

Rear view:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk9.jpg

Bungee cord adjustment at the bottom of the rear panel:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/DizHawk6.jpg

Khaki BOK and Magnifier pouches:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Medmag1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Medmag2.jpg

Lumpy196
02-02-08, 19:23
NICE.

macman37
02-02-08, 19:40
That's everything you need, nothing you don't...

Very cool looking rig.

John_Wayne777
02-02-08, 21:09
I really dig the kydex inserts in the mag pouches. It's an idea whose time has come.

The rig looks low profile enough that your sling won't get all tangled up in everything...even if you are using a 3 point.

I think a similar rig for AKs would be great too.

DocGKR
02-02-08, 21:23
Diz makes great stuff! BTW, where do your radio, flashlight, dump pouch (if used), and other misc gear go?

Hawkeye
02-02-08, 21:32
Doc,

For me, being non MIL, I only use a FRS/GMRS radio on occasion, and that clips easy enough onto the left shoulder strap. A dump pouch I'd run on a MOLLE belt, ditto a light, etc. I may move the BOK and magnifier pouch around a little onto the last mag pouch on each side. This would open up more slots for a larger radio pouch, etc.. if needed. Other pouches can be obviously added to the outside of the mag pouches if desired. The idea was to keep this one somewhat low bulk, but still have a moderate loadout.

I run a MOLLE belt myself, and thats where my pistol mags, spare Surefire, knife, and such are at.

Submariner
02-02-08, 22:01
I thought you got some plates. Where do they go?

Hawkeye
02-02-08, 22:06
I thought you got some plates. Where do they go?

They go here. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11165)

Ya goof.

FM18
02-02-08, 22:16
Wow! Very nice rig. I am looking forward to getting my Alleycat rig in and a copy of yours soon too:D ;)

USMC03
02-02-08, 22:17
Hawkeye,

Nice rig!!!

Diz is brewing me up (2) simular rigs, one for training, one for work (to go over an undergarment vest).

I had a very simular set up several years ago (2 piece MAV / X-Harness / Hydro Carrier) that I sold and have regreted on several occassions.

S/F,
Jeff

Diz
02-02-08, 22:20
I wanted to say thanks again to Hawkeye for another great idea. He has been one of my best go-to guys for down-to-earth, solid ideas on load bearing equipment, especially for armed civilians.

It's way too easy to get swept up in what's the latest style at tactical courses, or what we see the guys all wearing overseas. Sometimes we forget or lose sight of what we need to fight with, within the context as armed civilians, here at home.

Guys like Hawkeye, USMC03, DocGKR, and others here are a great source of information and, inspiration.

Hawkeye
02-02-08, 22:43
Hawkeye,

Nice rig!!!

Diz is brewing me up (2) simular rigs, one for training, one for work (to go over an undergarment vest).

I had a very simular set up several years ago (2 piece MAV / X-Harness / Hydro Carrier) that I sold and have regreted on several occassions.

S/F,
Jeff

I remember that rig. Didnt know you had gotten rid of it. You'll be very happy with whatever Diz sews up for you.

Hawkeye
02-02-08, 22:45
I wanted to say thanks again to Hawkeye for another great idea. He has been one of my best go-to guys for down-to-earth, solid ideas on load bearing equipment, especially for armed civilians.

It's way too easy to get swept up in what's the latest style at tactical courses, or what we see the guys all wearing overseas. Sometimes we forget or lose sight of what we need to fight with, within the context as armed civilians, here at home.

Guys like Hawkeye, USMC03, DocGKR, and others here are a great source of information and, inspiration.

Yeah, but without someone to actually turn those ideas into tangible reality, and tweak them in the process, they're nothing but thoughts inside my cavernous head. ;)

LouDiamond
02-02-08, 22:48
Nice looking set up, from the pictures,it looks well built. My concern is that it looks like getting the mag under the left armpit for a righty would be difficult and if you carry a ruck sack, the fastex clips on the back of the rig would surely dig into your back.

I think if you built it more like a RACK system and got rid of the 2 fastex in the front you could still run 6 single mags along the front AND get things like a radio pouch, pistol,dump bag mounted along the sides and be able to wear it under a ruck sack. Plus you would have the chest section to mount extra pistol mags or other needed equipment. Example HERE (http://www.optactical.com/parave.html).

I run a system set up using a RACK and can ruck in it and throw it over a plate carrier or a full on vest with no issues. It's one of the rigs I ran in Afghanistan that proved to be the most versatile. What I like about your system is that it has the kydex inserts and the option to change the mag pocket closure configuration.

I think it would be pretty easy to also incorporate a pocket system into your setup so that it could accommodate plates if the user needed a plate carrier.

Overall, I like what you have there and think with a few modifications could prove useful to a wide audience.

Hawkeye
02-02-08, 23:07
I have no issues accessing any of the mags so far. No issues also with my Eagle AIII pack or Camelback Motherlode in regards to the back buckles. With the changes that you mention, and as is evident by the pics you reference, that would be going the opposite direction of where Diz and I wanted this rig to be.

LouDiamond
02-02-08, 23:28
I have no issues accessing any of the mags so far.

You can grab the mag under your left armpit with your left hand no problem?

No issues also with my Eagle AIII pack or Camelback Motherlode in regards to the back buckles.

Sorry, I was referring to a military ruck sack with a metal frame ( ALICE). For use with a 3 day pack I think they would not pose a problem.

With the changes that you mention, and as is evident by the pics you reference, that would be going the opposite direction of where Diz and I wanted this rig to be.

Seeing how your intent was not to go in the direction I described, I think you have a good looking rig that will work for most weekend shooters and those doing carbine courses.

Hawkeye
02-02-08, 23:44
I have no issues accessing any of the mags so far.

You can grab the mag under your left armpit with your left hand no problem?

Correct.

No issues also with my Eagle AIII pack or Camelback Motherlode in regards to the back buckles.

Sorry, I was referring to a military ruck sack with a metal frame ( ALICE). For use with a 3 day pack I think they would not pose a problem.

I wouldnt dig out my old ALICE and use it unless it was the end of the world, I had nothing else, and my life depended on it. ;) More like a torture device than a pack.

With the changes that you mention, and as is evident by the pics you reference, that would be going the opposite direction of where Diz and I wanted this rig to be.

Seeing how your intent was not to go in the direction I described, I think you have a good looking rig that will work for most weekend shooters and those doing carbine courses.

I think it will work for that, and quite a bit more.

Tzoid
02-02-08, 23:48
Hawkeye

The rig looks great . Diz is making me one very similar and I have 6 or eight buddies contacting him for like chest rigs.

I'm anxious to get mine.

One question... How much adjustment does it have? You're wearing a T-shirt
in the pics and it looks pretty snug. I'm 6ft 225lbs.. Beefy :D

Hawkeye
02-02-08, 23:51
I'm 6'1"....

Plenty of adjustment out. I like it close fitting, and had tightened it down for the pics.

LouDiamond
02-02-08, 23:52
I wouldnt dig out my old ALICE and use it unless it was the end of the world, I had nothing else, and my life depended on it. ;) More like a torture device than a pack.

I hear you. However the old green pain bag is still part of my daily work gear.

Question on the mag pouch.Do the kydex inserts provide enough tension on the mag that you could run it without the bungees in place and not have the mags fall or bounce out?

Tzoid
02-02-08, 23:53
Is there a length adjustment also ?

I have a long torso and don't want it to ride too high.

Hawkeye
02-03-08, 00:03
I hear you. However the old green pain bag is still part of my daily work gear.

Question on the mag pouch.Do the kydex inserts provide enough tension on the mag that you could run it without the bungees in place and not have the mags fall or bounce out?

Good God man. What kind of sadistic self torture are you into?? :eek:

Most definitely on the kydex. Holds the mags very securely. They arent coming out unless you want them to. I originally wanted just the bungees, but Diz talked me into trying these new kydex inserts since they were a different material than the last ones he had in my Alleycat. These new ones work so well, I'll probably just run without using the bungees, except in certain circumstances.

Hawkeye
02-03-08, 00:04
Is there a length adjustment also ?

I have a long torso and don't want it to ride too high.

Yes, front and back, at all 4 buckles. I have a fairly long torso as well, but I like mine to ride up pretty high. I want it up off my waist/stomach area.

LouDiamond
02-03-08, 00:15
Good God man. What kind of sadistic self torture are you into?? :eek:

I'm a Pineland alumni ;)

Most definitely on the kydex. Holds the mags very securely.

Very cool. Are the kydex inserts removable or are they sewn into the rig?

Hawkeye
02-03-08, 00:26
I'm a Pineland alumni ;)

Very cool. Are the kydex inserts removable or are they sewn into the rig?
Ahh.. Roger that.

Yes, they are removeable.

DocGKR
02-03-08, 00:41
Hawkeye,

On a low profile rig like an Alleycat or your new one, I've gone to wearing the BCS NIJ body armor carrier (http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BCSNIJ.html) with some Level IIIa soft armor and thin 5mm MARS steel Level III plates--this gives you full rifle protection, but without the bulk of a plate carrier or CIRAS/RAV assault vest. You can even wear a loose jacket over it and folks don't know you've got your gear on... Diz's work is first rate!

Hawkeye
02-03-08, 00:51
Hawkeye,

On a low profile rig like an Alleycat or your new one, I've gone to wearing the BCS NIJ body armor carrier (http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BCSNIJ.html) with some Level IIIa soft armor and thin 5mm MARS steel Level III plates--this gives you full rifle protection, but without the bulk of a plate carrier or CIRAS/RAV assault vest. You can even wear a loose jacket over it and folks don't know you've got your gear on... Diz's work is first rate!

Thanks Doc. That is an intriguing setup. Do you have a preferred source for both the soft armor and the MARS plates that will sell to non MIL/LEO?
Your right, the Alleycat can be hidden fairly easily, which was one of the things I had in mind when coming up with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Alleycat3.jpg

LukeMacGillie
02-03-08, 07:38
Looks like a good rig for its intended use.

I would be worried that the shock cord on the hydro carrier making me a "Hung Jumper"

I can see it catching on seatbelt buckles when deploying from a vehicle.

But I do like the kydex idea done in a way that is not so bulky as currently available.

Hawkeye
02-03-08, 09:02
The seatbelt hangup type issues are something I've been thinking about. I am going to give it a good roll around in a number of places and see what happens. Keep in mind, that the bungee on the hydro carrier can be removed.

Diz
02-03-08, 11:17
Hey Guys:

Thanks for the feedback, the good, bad, and ugly. Here's my take on things.

This rig is not intended to do it all. It is a purpose-built rig for the armed civilian. There's a different mission statement between what I do, and what say TT is doing with the MAV. I am making custom built rigs for a specific purpose to fit the end user's requirements. In this case, we built on the low profile concept, by splitting the front and modifying the suspension system. The whole point of this rig is to have a "cooling" channel, center chest, for extended use in hot enviornments. The rig can also be opened up for proning out, or just to take a break and cooling off. And it sure is easier to ditch and don. It is a brand new design, and I'm sure we will tweak it as we go, which is a continous process. For instance, the hydro pouch will be modified if that turns out to be a problem.

Each customer brings unique requirements to the table. I am building very different rigs for civilians, LEO's, and military personnel. For instance, USMC03 wants a rig for a SWAT cop for when he up-guns to a carbine. DocGKR wants a rig to integrate with a separate body armor carrier, without the bulk of a CIRAS-style rig. He brings a unique perspective of LEO, military, AND civilian shooter. A good friend of mine had me build him a simple, light-weight rig that he could catch Jethro up in the mountains of Afghanistan with. Each of these rigs will be quite different and hopefully does it's intended job well.

Hawkeye
02-03-08, 11:44
What Diz said. :D

Heavy Metal
02-03-08, 12:34
I am impressed.

Hawkeye
02-03-08, 16:46
I think Diz and I have agreed to call this one the "Swamp Fox" and change the Alleycat to now be the "MinuteMan".

LouDiamond
02-03-08, 17:14
I think Diz and I have agreed to call this one the "Swamp Fox" and change the Alleycat to now be the "MinuteMan".

Since I had no clue what the Alleycat looked like, I did a search and what do you know. What I was trying to describe earlier pretty much looks like THIS SET UP (http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=112465&postcount=13) along with a few of the other mods found on the other vests in the thread. Really good looking kit in that thread. Kudos to Diz

RAM Engineer
02-03-08, 17:35
Thanks Doc. That is an intriguing setup. Do you have a preferred source for both the soft armor and the MARS plates that will sell to non MIL/LEO?

I'd like to know a non MIL/LEO source for 5mm MARS plates as well (or something comparable).

Diz
02-03-08, 18:18
Oh yeah, that's Yancey Harrington's AK rig.

Forest
02-03-08, 18:29
Very nice Hawkeye and Diz!

Diz do you have a website where we could look at your other gear?

Diz
02-03-08, 20:16
I've always just done this stuff by word of mouth. I've never put up a website. But that may just have to change soon.

VA_Dinger
02-04-08, 18:59
Nice rig.

Simple & functional, just the way I like gear to be.

Big_A
04-23-08, 16:18
Nice rig, looks functional and comfortable. May have to look into one.

Blinking Dog
04-23-08, 16:55
I haven't noticed that anyone else asked...so I guess I will.
How much for one...?

torquemada055
04-23-08, 22:27
I noticed that you said it has adjustment length, but what about those who are built like football linemen?
I am the little one in my family at 6'1" and 280, my son is 6'2" and about 225 but he isn't full grown yet at only 20 y.o., the rest of the men are even larger up to a nephew who is 6'10" and about 280.

Since I am the runt could you make them for a large family? We are all curious as it is hard to find gear to fit us.

But, the women are all normal sized....:)

Shihan
04-24-08, 01:14
I noticed that you said it has adjustment length, but what about those who are built like football linemen?
I am the little one in my family at 6'1" and 280, my son is 6'2" and about 225 but he isn't full grown yet at only 20 y.o., the rest of the men are even larger up to a nephew who is 6'10" and about 280.

Since I am the runt could you make them for a large family? We are all curious as it is hard to find gear to fit us.

But, the women are all normal sized....:)

Mike(Diz) does everything individually so im sure he can accomodate you giants.

koolaid
04-24-08, 01:38
+1 on price and contact info.

torquemada055
04-24-08, 22:36
Glad to hear that he can even fit the larger guys.

Now, I just made the mistake of showing my wife this thread and she wants to know if you guy's have ever thought about a womans needs, since their chest is a bit different and those straps that don't bother us guy's will encounter some odd shaped and sized protrubances.

I needless to say was dumbfounded as I had never thought of that before. She is sitting here watching me type this and wondering if men are still so dense as to think a woman can't or wont fight when it's called for.

She is curious as to if a womans chest rig can be made comfortable for a woman in the same basic design and concept with the needed alterations for the differences.

I could really use some help here as I am up the creek and watching my paddle float quickly downstream....

chadbag
04-25-08, 12:58
Glad to hear that he can even fit the larger guys.

Now, I just made the mistake of showing my wife this thread and she wants to know if you guy's have ever thought about a womans needs, since their chest is a bit different and those straps that don't bother us guy's will encounter some odd shaped and sized protrubances.

I needless to say was dumbfounded as I had never thought of that before. She is sitting here watching me type this and wondering if men are still so dense as to think a woman can't or wont fight when it's called for.

She is curious as to if a womans chest rig can be made comfortable for a woman in the same basic design and concept with the needed alterations for the differences.

I could really use some help here as I am up the creek and watching my paddle float quickly downstream....

I don't know if it was a mistake. Most guys would die to have a wife who wants her own chest rig ! Most guys have to sneak gear in the back door.

Chad

Diz
04-28-08, 16:50
Hey Guys:

Been busy catching up with orders and just caught this thread again.

Some interesting thoughts.

On sizing, that's the beauty of what I do; I can make any size you want cuz I make to order. So if you are not in the 90 percentile of the population, a custom gear maker might be your cup of tea. One small note about sizing. I try to think in terms of concealable body armor being worn underneath the rig, so when you give me your measurements I try and make sure you have plenty of extra adjustment for BA (or extreme cold weather gear).

On womens gear, yeah, I've given it some thought. My wife is a good shooter and training partner, and I have made her some gear as well. When she trains she wears a jog bra which holds her, uh, gear in tight. On top of that, she has her own level II vest when required. And then her chest rig goes over that. So where the shoulder straps fall is a mute point for her. She has a slim athletic build as well so this has never been a issue for her.

On the other hand, I can see where some women might require some extra rigging to get it comfortable. But my advice would be to still use a good jog bra ("Moving Comfort" is the heat, according to the Mrs.) as a base layer. The rig could be adjusted to run a little lower if necessary, and the shoulder straps could be moved out-board if required. Obviously I would need some measurements to make sure it fits, just like a dude, only with some modifications.

I would also suggest that a woman try on a chest rig with body armor underneath, because the BA is gonna smooth things out to start with and it might not be as much an issue. If you know any female cops, you (well maybe your wife) might try and ask her about it.

I think it's great that some wives are actually interested in this stuff. Like the man said, it sure makes it easier to pitch those equipment requirements. Like gee, honey, looks like we need to pull the trigger on some good body armor pretty soon.

Diz
04-28-08, 17:44
On pricing, short answer, an average rig runs about $125.00.

Long answer:

I have always tried to keep my prices as low as possible in the past because most of my customers were active duty Joes and didn't make a lot of money. So until recently I have given away more gear than I ever charged for, and when I did charge, it just basically covered costs.

Nowadays, that is changing somewhat. I still make a lot of stuff for the boys but I also have started making more gear for "qualified" civilians, like guys who come here to M4C. You may have noticed my prices are fairly decent, when compared to other gear makers.

As I have gone through the last few months, doing this stuff full time, I have realized what my actual costs are on this stuff, and unfortunately I am underpriced. When it's all said and done, I am basically just paying for supplies. If I continue to work full time as a gear maker, I will have to adjust my prices at some point. Or I may "go back to work" as a machinist and just continue to march on a part-time basis again. I dunno at this point.

The sixty four dollar question is whether customers would be willing to pay more for custom gear, or just buy "COTS" (commercial off the shelf). A big company can gear up for mass production and make hundreds of units a day. It takes me a whole day to make one chest rig, from start to finish. Obviously a big mfg is more efficient and they can price accordingly. A one man shop cannot build each rig, one at a time, basically "by hand", and hope to compete price-wise.

On the other hand, you can get your rig custom-built, according to your needs. So if a COTS item just won't fit your needs, this might be an option. But again you have to decide if it's worth the extra money. Because it does cost more to make custom gear, plain and simple.

Gutshot John
04-30-08, 10:25
Honestly I'm tired of the COTS gear. I'm never ever fully satisfied with it moreover it's always geared to military, never for civilians. I've long thought a straightforward and functional "minuteman" type of setup. That it's coverable/concealable is the cat's ass.

From the looks of things Diz put a lot of thought into this design.

Diz
05-01-08, 08:49
Well, I've been making this stuff, off and on, since the early 80's, so I've seen gear designs come and go. And you're right, military gear has always been the base-line for this stuff. The interesting thing is how the LBE has gone from "field" gear, designed for humping through the forests and jungles, to urban gear, designed for "direct action" aka door-kicking missions. And the military mission is more akin to a LE SWAT operation than the traditional fire and manuever in open terrain. So the LBE itself has gone through a huge evolution in recent times.

The second factor that has effected my designwork is the on-going evolution in tactical training. Guys like South Narc, Paul Gomez, Lee Aldridge are emphasizing contexual self defense techniques, and I try to design gear to work with these concepts. Training to fight within the context of what you see are the most likely or possible threats to you, rather than imitating SOF operators, is a concept that is slowly catching on within the civilian tactical community. Some of my first chest rig and go bag designs were from direct input from Gomez, Hawkeye, and others.

As a logical progression from criminal self defense, you come to the "minuteman" concept. Gear made to support the 2d ammendment rifleman. I do not wish to get into arguments about the need for rifles in a domestic civilian enviornment. Some think this is extremely unlikely and dismiss it as unnecessary to train for. Some see it as inevitable and train accordingly. And a great many in between.

I see it as a return to the American Rifleman concept, not the NRA hunter emphasis, but the original concept of the rifleman who fought and won a revolutionary war. This concept of the citizen-soldier has become very muddled down through the years, and even declared obsolete with the creation of the National Guard. But there are still a few among us that take responsibility for their own safety and well-being. With this in mind, the rifle is the ultimate expression of independence and freedom.

So I don't see it as a matter of likelihood of being needed, from a criminal defence frame of mind. I see it as the gaurantee that my freedom will never be taken away. So the third and most important design factor is how today's Minuteman may have to deploy and fight with his modern day weapons. That is the defining feature of the Minuteman rig. Quick access but low profile.

DocGKR
05-01-08, 09:37
Diz,

You make superb gear that is worth paying a premium for--set your fees accordingly. For example, if a mass produced chest rig from a large vendor goes for $100, you should be getting at least $250 for yours--they are that much better...

Nathan_Bell
05-01-08, 11:00
Diz,

You make superb gear that is worth paying a premium for--set your fees accordingly. For example, if a mass produced chest rig from a large vendor goes for $100, you should be getting at least $250 for yours--they are that much better...

From the photos I have seen online and the thought and research that Diz is putting into these as evidenced in posts by Hawkeye, Doc, and others, as well as several phone convos with Diz. I have to agree that his work is worth a premium.

Just don't increase your prices until you have my vest/carrier and chest rig done, ok Mike?;)

Hawkeye
05-01-08, 11:20
Diz explained my thoughts as perfectly as I could if I had typed it myself.

Diz,

I agree. His work is worth it. The key will be finding a range that will allow him to be properly and fairly compensated for his work, but in a range that will keep the orders coming in.

That said, if your idea of a good setup is a cheap low grade rifle, USA mags, and a Tacpoint, if you feel that cheaper-than-dirts no-name chicom imitation molle gear is "just as good as" or "all I need", etc......, then Diz's gear is not what your looking for.

rob_s
05-01-08, 18:21
Just got my custom AK rig from Diz this evening. Awesome! fits perfect and can't wait to run it in the Awerbuck carbine class I'm taking later this month. Full review to follow for sure!

03humpalot
05-02-08, 09:15
Diz,
recieved my rig today in the mail run. Thanks much.
Buck

GNXII
05-05-08, 22:04
Links to a website or something ?? :confused:

Thanks All! :cool:

NCPatrolAR
05-05-08, 22:27
From the photos I have seen online and the thought and research that Diz is putting into these as evidenced in posts by Hawkeye, Doc, and others, as well as several phone convos with Diz. I have to agree that his work is worth a premium.

Just don't increase your prices until you have my vest/carrier and chest rig done, ok Mike?;)

I've known Mike for a few years and his work is worth a lot more than what he charges.

Lawdog-1
05-05-08, 23:17
Diz, what is your Web site address or contact infomation?

Hawkeye
05-06-08, 05:56
No website. Contact him via email or here on the board.

mdismuke@carolina.rr.com

Lawdog-1
05-06-08, 15:31
Thanks, Hawkeye.

Chili
06-02-08, 13:17
Man, that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I was just about to order the TT MAV, that's the closest thing I've seen to that. After the last few years of being over here in the sandbox, and going through SEVERAL kits, I've grown to like my armor and chest rigs seperate. I like the fact that you can just open the front if you need to go prone, and I always strip off my chest rig when I get into a sniper position and like to still have my body armor on. That's perfect, for me at least. I wonder if it would be possible to make one the exact same, but more like the built in mag pouches, kinda like the blackhawk recon chest rig, and maybe with a zippered pouch on each side of the front? It looks like it would really carry the load even. I've tried a few chest rigs with the cross backs, and the various straps in the back, and can't stand them. They just never seem to ride right. Anyway, I'm defenetley gonna have to contact him and get one of those. I know a lot of guys over here that would be interested in that setup. How long do you think it would take to get one?
Chili

Diz
06-02-08, 18:33
OK, I have been mulling things over for the past few weeks and here's what I'd like to do. Thanks to guys like Hawkeye, DocGKR, RobS, and USMC03, the demand has far outstripped my ability to produce, in a timely manner. So I'm not gonna take anymore orders for just a few weeks. I'm gonna get caught up and get everybody's rigs out to them. From then on , I'm gonna try and work like a true custom gear maker. Once we figure out a price for what you want, I will ask for say half up front as a deposit, and half on delivery. That way I'm not sitting on all your guy's money for 2-3 months. I feel bad when you guys pay me up front and then have to wait so long for gear. I'm hoping this will even it out a little more. At this point, my wait times are approaching 10-12 weeks and climbing. I know that's a long time to wait, and I will do my best to make it worth the wait.

I am also trying to re-focus what I'm doing, so you get a truly custom piece of gear, and not just something close to what you can buy off the shelf. Besides the "Minuteman" and "Swampfox" rigs you see here I am working hard on some new designs that are more light weight and low profile, and integrate with low profile (concealable) body armor carriers. I saw some interesting designs at the SOFIC a couple of weeks ago, that are not being offered to the public, so I want to work up my own designs for an integrated system that would be available to us. Very similar to what DocGKR, USMC03, and others are running with some refinements.

I thank the mods and powers that be at M4C for putting up with me here, as I have no website, and am basically a "squatter" here. I plan on doing something about that most skosh.

DocGKR
06-13-08, 10:37
You still need to charge more for your fine work...

mattjmcd
06-18-08, 20:20
Count me among those interested in a rig like this.

I have a TT MAV and it's so-so. The gear is good stuff, but I have the opposite problem of some of the other posters here- I am 5'10" and about 155-160lbs with a thin build. The TT unit barely cinches down to my thin frame. I am a civvie shooter, so I can't rely on armor to bulk up under the rig.

I also run some DBT low-viz racks and they are better, but they do not allow for the addition of H2O and they are not offered as splits (as I recall. maybe they do now..?) and whatnot. In any event, I'd like a custom rig like the one shown.

I'd easily fork over $200+ for it, even with a wait.

macman37
07-06-08, 11:08
Bump - my dad is looking for a new rig after we took a carbine class. His ChiCom knockoff rig (wonders what) did not come through for him...

This is EXACTLY what he is looking for and I know you're busy, Diz, but... how soon are you going to be back online and answering questions...? :)

I don't know how much Dad's got to spend on a rig but I'd be interested in one as well. I used a SKD Tac/Eagle $79 jobbie, and it worked great. I also had a BlackHawk!!!!!!!!!!!!! hydro carrier (no funny comments, I got it on super-clearance!), but it was kind of silly to be putting two pieces of gear on when I could just be putting one on... I think my Dad's in the same boat, only his would have to accomodate both AK mags and AR mags (for when he finally upgrades to an AR ;) )