PDA

View Full Version : Dumbass gun owner can't reassemble Glock

Slater
02-02-08, 19:22
Well, evidently I'm one of those that can break an anvil if given the opportunity. Brand new Glock, first time Glock owner. Followed manual, field stripped for initial cleaning. No problem. Reassembly went OK until I managed to get the slide jammed in the position seen here. Don't ask me how I did it.

Don't want to force anything and maybe break something so I'll take it back to the gun counter tommorow and have them show me what the Hell I did wrong. From the picture, can you tell if I damaged anything (besides my pride)?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/pb57/HPIM0701.jpg

Jay Cunningham
02-02-08, 19:28
wow

It looks like you got the slide on the rear rails but missed the front...

Is there a reason that mag is in there?

Jay Cunningham
02-02-08, 19:30
I just tried to duplicate what you did with my Glock 23...

Wow. Take the mag out and get ready to use some force to knock your slide forward and off. Then slide it on and get the back of the slide over the front frame rails first this time...

M4arc
02-02-08, 19:32
STOP!!!

Don't do anything until you send HotRod9mm a PM with a link to this thread. He'll know what to do.

Slater
02-02-08, 19:33
Actually the mag was out during field strip. It's in there just to fit everything in the case.

M4arc
02-02-08, 19:41
I remembered seeing this recently on GT: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810741&highlight=missed+front+rails

It looks like a rubber mallet did the trick but I would still consult with HotRod9mm before trying to remove it myself. He knows everything about Glocks.

Slater
02-02-08, 19:45
I appreciate the advice. Would I be better served by taking to the gun counter and having them look at it, or is this something I can do myself without making things worse?

M4arc
02-02-08, 19:47
I appreciate the advice. Would I be better served by taking to the gun counter and having them look at it, or is this something I can do myself without making things worse?

I'm pretty sure you could do it yourself. It worked out fine for the guy in that other thread.

Slater
02-02-08, 20:00
thekator, m4arc;

It's all better now. In fact, it didn't take too much force at all.

Oh, and thanks for not ridiculing me, although in this case I certainly deserved it. :D

M4arc
02-02-08, 20:02
No, it's all good. It will probably happen to me eventually but now I'll know what works so I won't have to create a thread about it ;)

Slater
02-02-08, 20:12
I was initially worried about bending the frame rails. How strong are they and how much force would you have to apply to cause bending?

lewis
02-04-08, 04:37
One of our officers did the exact same thing last summer when we were at the range transitioning from Gen 2 glocks to new G22's. I tried every way in the world to get the slide off without beating on it, but finally had to hit it on a wooden bench until it popped off. We inspected it, put it back together and test fired it with no problems. It's been fine ever since.

They are hard to destroy.

A62Rambler
02-04-08, 09:20
Having worked in several gun stores over the years and done my own gunsmithing. I looked at this and could actually see how it could happen. ;) Don't feel bad. I've seen much worse. :confused: At least when you got in trouble you asked for help instead of making it worse. :D Pretty hard to hurt a glock!

Tang419
02-04-08, 10:53
I had a friend do the same thing. He was in a hurry when reassembling, so that's how he done it. Odd things can happened to anyone, so don't sweat it. Asking for help was the best thing, and I don't see anyone giving you flack about that.