PDA

View Full Version : Hi- Power

VA_Dinger
09-01-06, 17:24
I'm interested in buying a 9mm Hi-Power as a play toy. A co-worker has a decent looking Inglis for $450. What can you guys tell me about Hi-Powers or the Inglis versions?

Derek_Connor
09-01-06, 17:35
They can, are, and will be as addictive as 1911s. I REALLY enjoy the yost hi-power I have. I *hear*, I cannot verify, his trigger work on these, especially his reset, is unequaled.

Never heard of the inglis version?

9mm is relatively cheap, mags are cheaper than 1911s, a little more capacity, good to great grip, easy(ier) to disassemble and clean...utterly reliable thus far are some of my experiences..

ArchAngel
09-01-06, 17:47
A true classic! The Hi-Power is often over looked today but I was carrying one off-duty back in the early to mid-90s.

I have a 9mm Browning Hi-Power Practical that I may be willing to get rid of. I got this one in a trade and it has the millet adjustable sights and I haven't changed them out yet.

I would rate it as between good and excellent condition - the only reason I wouldn't call it excellent is because of some of the wear on the outside of the barrel but it's nothing that's abnormal.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll send some pics and we can talk price.

Derek_Connor
09-01-06, 18:12
One of the advantages also, since I know Dinger is 1911 fan, get one of these built up and they feel, act, react, shoot...very similar to a 1911

At the same time giving you another reason to purchase more guns ;)

chris914
09-01-06, 21:45
Hi-powers are one of my favorites. I think that you have shot my pistol. It is a made in Belgium pistol that is older than I am. I will keep it for ever. I had some minor work done by Cylinder & Slide in the mid-90s, Novaks with a trigger job and reliability package. I am looking for one of the cheaper FEG or something like that to build into a truck pistol to go with my extra AR. Trigger job and sights with the hump in the feed ramp removed. I don't know if you know, the Hi-power has a magazine disconnect like a S&W pistol. A good smith will remove this when they do a trigger job. Just to let you know. I have handled the Charles Daly pistols not bad but like all Hi-powers needs a trigger job.
The one thing that I don't like about the Hi-power is the thin front strap does not lend itself to aggressive checkering (20lpi) like I like. I think most of the smiths use stippling or a matte process as Novak's calls it. I have been using the browning 10rnd mags with the mousetrap spring on it for my pistol in recent years. They jump out of the magwell when you hit the button. I get them from CDNN for about 20 bucks. You can’t go wrong with a properly set up Hi-power and chicks dig them.

RyanS
09-01-06, 22:26
They feel extremely good in the hand. My only complaint with the trigger due to the mag disconnect but from what I understand, this is easily correctable.

DrMark
09-01-06, 23:08
Here are my Hi-Powers:

http://members.cox.net/drmark/Hi-Powers.JPG

Left to right, a FEG (Hungarian HP) with Uncle Mike's rubber grips, a recent FN with Trijicon night sights and Navidrex grips, and an Inglis HP that I inherited from my dad earlier this year.

While anything can be customized, I think of the Inglis HPs as military collectors' guns and/or as-is shooters.

Here's another shot of the Inglis (they were made in Canada), along with one of the original mags (JI is John Inglis) and some of the ammo that came with the gun when my dad bought it.

http://members.cox.net/drmark/Inglis%20HP.JPG

VA_Dinger
09-03-06, 08:56
Thanks guys, that tells me everything I need to know.

TOrrock
09-03-06, 09:31
Inglis Hi Powers are tough as nails and usually have some history to them.

They were produced in Canada during WWII when the Germans overran Belgium. Saive, the head of FN, who refined the Hi Power after Browning's death in '27, and also designed the FN-49 and the FAL, made it to Britain. He helped set up production in Canada.

The Inglis Hi Powers were used by Commonwealth forces in WWII as well as Nationalist China.

Cool guns.

C4IGrant
09-04-06, 08:55
I have always like this weapon as well. I think it might be time to look for one.

C4

Derek_Connor
09-04-06, 09:35
Yost High Power for sale.... (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=32208&an=0&page=0#32208)

Don't know if this interests anyone, but with Ted's backlog, this might be someone's niche...

Sam
09-04-06, 11:39
I like the way the Half Power fits in my hand, it carries good too. I owned one for about a year but didn't keep it. It was extremely reliable and never had a single malfunction stock from the factory. But for me to be comfortable to keep one permanently I'd have to spend a bunch of money to make it more user friendly. Here are my dislikes:

Sights - factory sights are slow to pick up. I'd need a Novak, Heinie or Yost rear and a tritium front.

Magazine safety - would need to remove this feature.

Hammer bite - notorious. If one has the time to properly place the pistol in the hand ala bullseye shooter, then you'd have no problem. Doing emergency draw, practice and matches draws, if you get a little too high on the grip the hammer will get you and you'll feel it. Even with the "no bite" hammer trimming that a few of the top notches 'smiths offer, it would still get me.
I would need one of those beavertail welded on like what Ted Yost does to his HPs.

Trigger - horrible. I've felt the trigger jobs from top notches guys like Novak, Cylinder & Slide and Yost, while they're vast improvements, you just can't get a HP trigger to feel as crisp as a 1911.

Otherwise the gun is fine. :)

SuicideHz
09-04-06, 12:03
A few guys listed alloy framed Hi-Powers in the Dream Guns thread in the pistol forum here.

I found them at AIM surplus and a friend is interested in a Hi-Power as well. Are these a good deal at the $359 or so they are asking and are they the same as the ones people were looking for in the thread?

Derek_Connor
09-04-06, 12:12
Hammer bite - notorious. If one has the time to properly place the pistol in the hand ala bullseye shooter, then you'd have no problem. Doing emergency draw, practice and matches draws, if you get a little too high on the grip the hammer will get you and you'll feel it. Even with the "no bite" hammer trimming that a few of the top notches 'smiths offer, it would still get me.
I would need one of those beavertail welded on like what Ted Yost does to his HPs.

Trigger - horrible. I've felt the trigger jobs from top notches guys like Novak, Cylinder & Slide and Yost, while they're vast improvements, you just can't get a HP trigger to feel as crisp as a 1911.

Otherwise the gun is fine. :)

I completely agree. It does take quite a bit of time and money getting the highpower to be the "exact" little brother of the .45 1911

Especially the beavertial mod and trigger jobs, But I must say, when its done, and done right, it is art...

http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/6528/img0877mediumyj9.jpg

Nitrox
09-04-06, 16:55
It is Axel Foley's gun of choice!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/Beverly_hills_cop.jpg

chris914
09-05-06, 06:10
Sorry, that is not a Hi-Power on the cover. He may use one in the movie. But not on the cover.

Nitrox
09-05-06, 07:43
I know. It was the only picture I could come up with on short notice. In the movie he did use a Hi-Power though.

chris914
09-05-06, 08:23
No worries. I thought that you were referring to the picture. That is all 1911.:D

VA_Dinger
09-05-06, 14:13
A few guys listed alloy framed Hi-Powers in the Dream Guns thread in the pistol forum here.

I found them at AIM surplus and a friend is interested in a Hi-Power as well. Are these a good deal at the $359 or so they are asking and are they the same as the ones people were looking for in the thread?

Damn, thats a good find.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rare_Alloy_Frame_Belgium_FN_Hi-Power_9mm_Pistol.html

I only wish I didn't have way too many balls in the air right now to jump. I would snatch one up quick, but ammo, AK, and G34 buying have my funds tied up.

KevinB
09-05-06, 14:33
Inglis HP's are to slightly different measurments than commercial FN made ones -- as a result you will have a harder time finding smiths that will work on them and some aftermarket parts will not fit.

VA_Dinger
09-05-06, 14:39
Inglis HP's are to slightly different measurments than commercial FN made ones -- as a result you will have a harder time finding smiths that will work on them and some aftermarket parts will not fit.

Do you still have that sweet Novak "Special Ops" package Hi-power?

Dport
09-05-06, 19:16
Damn, thats a good find.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rare_Alloy_Frame_Belgium_FN_Hi-Power_9mm_Pistol.html

I only wish I didn't have way too many balls in the air right now to jump. I would snatch one up quick, but ammo, AK, and G34 buying have my funds tied up.
What no email heads up? And I thought we were friends.

VA_Dinger
09-05-06, 19:21
What no email heads up? And I thought we were friends.

:D

Welcome back!

Dport
09-05-06, 20:52

Welcome back!
Just visiting.

No Christmas card for you.:p

M4arc
09-06-06, 05:34
Just visiting.

No Christmas card for you.:p

Welcome back Dport!

Dport
09-06-06, 14:49
Well I got my FN on order. Thanks gents.

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 15:29
Well I got my FN on order. Thanks gents.

Your old job is calling for you. ;)

Dport
09-06-06, 15:30
Your old job is calling for you. ;)
Where did LV get his gun done at?

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 15:38
Where did LV get his gun done at?

Do you mean is aluminum Hi-Power?

I'm not sure if it was a custom job or just an extremely rare stock pistol.

I do remember him mentioning Novak, but that might just be were he purchased it.

TOrrock
09-06-06, 16:06
Until this shipment of ex police guns that AIM got, aluminum framed Hi Powers were exceedingly rare here in the States....almost to the point of being mythical.

I love Hi Powers, but man, they chew the web of my hand up like hamburger.

The SFS models with the Daewoo-style fast action that FN is now selling seem to alleviate this by not having a spur on the hammer. I believe the design was introduced by Cylinder and Slide and the parts are available to retro fit an existing Hi Power.

Kokalis did a decent job detailing the Hi Power and it's variations through the years in the current G&A Surplus Annual.

TJUrban
09-06-06, 16:55
I have a Novak High Power and it is a good pistol and a keeper. It has always been reliable and accurate.

Compared to 1911s, for me the trigger is slightly more difficult to control in rapid fire, and the thumb safety is a bit harder to find in a hurry.

Also, I run a shock buff in mine and wouldn't shoot super hot +P ammo out of it continually.

Good luck,

Tim

KevinB
09-11-06, 16:20
Do you still have that sweet Novak "Special Ops" package Hi-power?

Its not going anywhere -- funny my old roommate was just asking about it as he is trying to get a few done by Kurt Wickman (who did mine when at Novak's) since he's not sold on the Sig's trigger for HR duties.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/Guns011a.jpg

Dport
09-11-06, 16:53
Its not going anywhere -- funny my old roommate was just asking about it as he is trying to get a few done by Kurt Wickman (who did mine when at Novak's) since he's not sold on the Sig's trigger for HR duties.

Does Mr. Wickman have a website?

VA_Dinger
09-11-06, 21:03

That is one of my favorite Hi-Powers.

KevinB
09-11-06, 21:20
I lost track of Kurt after his 4th divorce -- he had left Novak's and was working on his own (he had a website - but its bookmarked on another computer)

I will inquire.

Dinger -- its not officially the Novak Spec Ops's package -- but its damn close. Its my favourite handgun -- not my most accurate or most practical -- but the closest to my heart.

VA_Dinger
09-12-06, 11:13
I lost track of Kurt after his 4th divorce --

Wow, he even has me beat.

KevinB
09-12-06, 11:25
I view the first wive as the training wife ;)

I was just told Kurt left the business sometime in 2000, he is no longer listed in the America Pistolsmiths Guild.

Dport
09-12-06, 14:52
I view the first wive as the training wife ;)

I was just told Kurt left the business sometime in 2000, he is no longer listed in the America Pistolsmiths Guild.
Thank you for the information. Hopefully, the services of a good 'smith will be a want to instead of a need to. However, it isn't looking good. One review of these pistols has been fairly negative, ie the pistol was not operational at all.

KevinB
09-12-06, 15:56
I was issued a number of BHP's in my service with the CF.

My biggest bitch is the sights on factory guns.
* and removal of the mag disconnect/safety

I've never had problems with BHP's -- other than barrels need to be re-ramped for JHP's (not a big deal in most .mil unit)
When we'd get new ones the cosmoline would have gummed them up bad and they need to be detail stripped to the armorer level
If you get a good unit armorer and extra slides - buy Novaks and have them milled in. Aftermarket grips and grip taping the front and back strap complete my "issue" package.

I can help a bit -- I was a nightmare since I'd like to learn by doing and stripped several of them to the frame ;)

Dport
09-13-06, 14:47
Well, my Al framed HP came in today. It is very worn. I can't judge accuracy until I get used to the trigger. However, it functioned fine with WWB.

DrMark
09-13-06, 17:28
Well, my Al framed HP came in today. It is very worn. I can't judge accuracy until I get used to the trigger. However, it functioned fine with WWB.

Pictures? Or at least a description of condition?

Dport
09-13-06, 18:12
Pictures? Or at least a description of condition?
Beaten is an apt description.
http://homepage.mac.com/sworrior/.cv/sworrior/Sites/.Pictures/Photo%208.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpghttp://homepage.mac.com/sworrior/.cv/sworrior/Sites/.Pictures/Photo%209.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

DrMark
09-13-06, 21:30
Beaten is an apt description.

Ah, thanks.

John_Wayne777
09-14-06, 08:51
I'm interested in buying a 9mm Hi-Power as a play toy. A co-worker has a decent looking Inglis for $450. What can you guys tell me about Hi-Powers or the Inglis versions?

You can probably buy a new production Hi-Power made by FN for around the same price....

Something like:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/hipower.jpg

Dport
09-15-06, 16:56
Well, I shot my "new" Hi Power for the second time today. It has a tremendous accuracy potential, but the man-machine interface leaves much to be desired. The trigger pull is HORRIBLE. The bitch of it is I can't get the trigger pin out to remove the magazine safety.

Oh well, time to drop a grand at Mike Novak's shop...

VA_Dinger
09-16-06, 21:54
Well, I shot my "new" Hi Power for the second time today. It has a tremendous accuracy potential, but the man-machine interface leaves much to be desired. The trigger pull is HORRIBLE. The bitch of it is I can't get the trigger pin out to remove the magazine safety.

I have the feeling you are going to end up with one amazing Hi-Power.

I cannot wait to handle/shoot the final product.

JBRIII
09-17-06, 19:38

You mean Wayne Novak????

Dport
09-17-06, 19:45
You mean Wayne Novak????
No, I mean cylinder and slide.:p

KevinB
09-18-06, 23:28
Well I went out and put some rounds out of my BHP.
All the first mag into a Hostage tgt head. While I got the X on the first Hostage with my P226 I got sloppy and dropped two off the right ear -- but when I went to the BHP it was nicely centered.

The G19 was a sloppy third string to those.

Lumpy196
09-27-06, 11:26
Kevin, I STILL hate you for that HP. One day my MKIII will get to Novak's