PDA

View Full Version : Lesson in rocksett application

Aries144
09-10-12, 13:20
I applied Rocksett to the threads of an AR barrel the other night, then attached and torqued down my Ranger 2 with a strap wrench.

The next day at the range, I dumped three mags downrange (in semi) to test the attachment. I intended to check the suppressor to make sure it didn't back off after every mag, but got caught up in conversation with my wife and failed to check until after all three mags were spent.

When I checked, I discovered that the can was about half a turn loose and wobbling slightly. With a quick acceptance that my end cap may now have a larger opening than it used to and remembering that the Ranger 2 has a non-tapered bore a little on the tighter side of AAC's 5.56 cans, I checked the end of the can.

To my great relief, there was no damage or evidence of projectile contact with the can. Upon removing the can however, I discovered that the Rocksett was completely absent from the threads and was entirely collected on the un-threaded section behind the threads and on the shoulder. I quickly realized that I had applied the Rocksett, which mentions it requires 12 hours to set, and had then placed the rifle muzzle-up in my safe overnight.

Lesson learned: don't apply rocksett to your rifle's threads for a suppressor or muzzle attachment and then leave it muzzle-up while it dries.

Eurodriver
09-10-12, 14:19
Good PSA.

NoveskeFan
09-10-12, 14:33
Crap, I need to check my Blackout. Won't have a suppressor for at least a year, but thanks for the heads up.

markm
09-10-12, 14:38
The threads on a Ranger can are cut to be a snug fit. I'll bet the majority of the rockset was squeezed out... as opposed to leaking out.

Did you clean the barrel and Ranger threads really good before applying?

I use a q-tip and alcohol to get all the manufacturing crap out of threads that I use a chemical bond with.

Iraqgunz
09-10-12, 23:44
I have applied Rocksett to two different mounts and shot them within about 8 hours with no issues. I made sure that the threads were clean on the barrel and suppressor. I applied it to the barrel and the mount.

It was good to go.

Aries144
09-10-12, 23:56
The threads on a Ranger can are cut to be a snug fit. I'll bet the majority of the rockset was squeezed out... as opposed to leaking out.

Did you clean the barrel and Ranger threads really good before applying?

I use a q-tip and alcohol to get all the manufacturing crap out of threads that I use a chemical bond with.

Oh yeah. I scrubbed with a paper towel and alcohol and then q-tipped again with alcohol to remove the lint left by the paper towel. Then I laid a 1/4" wide bead down from the midpoint of the threads to the shoulder.

Next time I apply it, I think I'll apply it circumferentially around all the threads, attach the can, and lay the rifle down horizontally overnight.

After finding the suppressor loose and subsequently removing it at the range, I found a small amount of residue visible on one quarter of the two rearmost thread grooves. The entire remainder was on the shoulder and threadless section immediately in front of the shoulder. There was also evidence that some had leaked out and dried just behind the shoulder on the barrel and the rear of the suppressor.

WS6
09-11-12, 00:15
Oh yeah. I scrubbed with a paper towel and alcohol and then q-tipped again with alcohol to remove the lint left by the paper towel. Then I laid a 1/4" wide bead down from the midpoint of the threads to the shoulder.

Next time I apply it, I think I'll apply it circumferentially around all the threads, attach the can, and lay the rifle down horizontally overnight.

After finding the suppressor loose and subsequently removing it at the range, I found a small amount of residue visible on one quarter of the two rearmost thread grooves. The entire remainder was on the shoulder and threadless section immediately in front of the shoulder. There was also evidence that some had leaked out and dried just behind the shoulder on the barrel and the rear of the suppressor.

I think it has more to do with thread clearance, but I'm no expert.

markm
09-11-12, 07:48
I think it has more to do with thread clearance, but I'm no expert.

Same here. I'd apply a little to the foremost threads (closest to the tip of the barrel) to try to fight the Ranger from just pushing it out.

Rockset won't flow out of the threads by setting the rifle on it's ass. It's just not fully cured for a half a day or so.

Aries144
09-11-12, 13:22
Threads pushing the Rocksett out makes sense. Thanks guys.