PDA

View Full Version : I may get a good deal on a 92fs in the future...questions...

rojocorsa
09-10-12, 17:10
Gun in question would be factory new. I'm looking at the most standard one.

I am somewhat familiar with these (I've shot them on a static range before).

I don't see the 92FS being talked about a lot here (or not to the same extent as GLOCKs, SIGs, or M&Ps).

What is the general consensus around here for these pistols?

*FWIW, I plan on owning a 9mm GLOCK in the future for sure.

plouffedaddy
09-10-12, 17:39
They're very good guns but if I was buying a 92 variant new I'd get the A1 for the recoil buffer, dovetail sights, and rail.

Nephrology
09-10-12, 18:07
What do you envision using this pistol for? If you plan on buying the Glock, what purpose will the Beretta serve?

GrandPooba
09-10-12, 18:12
Gun in question would be factory new. I'm looking at the most standard one.

I am somewhat familiar with these (I've shot them on a static range before).

I don't see the 92FS being talked about a lot here (or not to the same extent as GLOCKs, SIGs, or M&Ps).

What is the general consensus around here for these pistols?

*FWIW, I plan on owning a 9mm GLOCK in the future for sure.

They are really good pistols. Very accurate, reliable, and soft shooting. The 92 series is my chosen gun for USPSA, IDPA, carry, and training.

Lots of myths and half-truths have spouted up over the years, primarily due to three root causes. These are the lack of regular recoil spring replacement in issue M9s (5-8k rounds is the recommended interval) causing premature locking block breakage, secondly the awful aftermarket Checkmate mags that the military bought prior to OEF/OIF, thirdly the seemingly institutional wide fear of lubricating guns (the 92, like the Ar15, runs best wet). Additionally, Beretta redesigned the locking block years ago for vastly improved service life, but of course first gen blocks are still floating around in issue M9s. Any 92 that you buy from the mid-90s (I believe) and up has the upgraded locking blocks.

The 92FS has a somewhat cooky manual of arms, that is for sure. The slide mounted safety/decocker must be trained with heavily in order to prevent yourself from accidently knocking it on safe. Most people with medium hands will be fine taking it off safe on the draw, but I would recommend using it as a decocker only.

The heavy DA trigger pull can be lightened considerably by dropping in a D spring. The D spring is the hammer spring that is found in the 92D (DAO version), and will take about 3-4 pounds off the stock DA pull.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of better 92 variants than the standard 92FS/M9. If you can find one, I would get a 92G variant (92G, 92G Centurion, 92G-SD, 92G Vertec), which has a decocker only, no safety/decocker. Beretta no longer makes them, which is unfortunate, so you will have to get them used.

rojocorsa
09-11-12, 16:03
What do you envision using this pistol for? If you plan on buying the Glock, what purpose will the Beretta serve?

Learning how to shoot pistols primarily. The reason I'm looking at this one is because of the potential good deal.

Overall, I still prefer the idea of a Gen 3 9mm GLOCK (cant decided whether 17 or 19 but no point in worrying about that at the moment). I like the GLOCKs due to their simplicity and reliability.

They are really good pistols. Very accurate, reliable, and soft shooting. The 92 series is my chosen gun for USPSA, IDPA, carry, and training.

Lots of myths and half-truths have spouted up over the years, primarily due to three root causes. These are the lack of regular recoil spring replacement in issue M9s (5-8k rounds is the recommended interval) causing premature locking block breakage, secondly the awful aftermarket Checkmate mags that the military bought prior to OEF/OIF, thirdly the seemingly institutional wide fear of lubricating guns (the 92, like the Ar15, runs best wet). Additionally, Beretta redesigned the locking block years ago for vastly improved service life, but of course first gen blocks are still floating around in issue M9s. Any 92 that you buy from the mid-90s (I believe) and up has the upgraded locking blocks.

The 92FS has a somewhat cooky manual of arms, that is for sure. The slide mounted safety/decocker must be trained with heavily in order to prevent yourself from accidently knocking it on safe. Most people with medium hands will be fine taking it off safe on the draw, but I would recommend using it as a decocker only.

The heavy DA trigger pull can be lightened considerably by dropping in a D spring. The D spring is the hammer spring that is found in the 92D (DAO version), and will take about 3-4 pounds off the stock DA pull.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of better 92 variants than the standard 92FS/M9. If you can find one, I would get a 92G variant (92G, 92G Centurion, 92G-SD, 92G Vertec), which has a decocker only, no safety/decocker. Beretta no longer makes them, which is unfortunate, so you will have to get them used.

Thanks for this info. I know about swapping the D spring and will probably do that.

I actually wasn't sure if it was safe or not to carry these weapons "off safety" in DA mode, but it sounds like it is according to your post. Would this still apply to an FS with a D spring?

The only thing that I never really liked was the slide mounted safety, but if you're telling me I don't have to pay attention to it then getting one of these will suit me fine.

Who knows, I may not even need to worry about acquiring a GLOCK.

As far as the commercial 92FS and the commercial M-9---no real difference between them, correct? (Other than the sight dots).

And which are the best mags for these?

Nephrology
09-11-12, 21:28
Learning how to shoot pistols primarily. The reason I'm looking at this one is because of the potential good deal.

What kind of deal is a "good deal?"

I think if you are committed to learning to shoot a pistol well you are better off picking one of those two and buying it and spending the rest of of the money on 9mm. I don't think that having 2 different kinds of pistols available will make you a better pistol shooter, unless the 2 kinds are 9mm and .22LR.

They are both good guns with good reputations but nowadays the Glock seems to get the most attention of the two... of course as a dyed in the wool Glock shooter I am inclined to agree but I have no reason to think you will be supremely let down with the 92. That said, one big advantage the G19 has over the beretta 92 is it is FAR more concealable and lighter, to boot. I say you just buy one of those and use the rest of the cash for ammo or a Ruger MkII.

Snake Plissken
09-11-12, 22:58
Unless the price of enough ammo to attain your target level of proficiency is too much, buy what you want and shoot away. Many moan and groan about Berettas like they do about CZ pistols --it's largely anecdotal and isolated to a small number of users. A 92FS is a very well made DA/SA pistol and is a good gun to learn on. Proper transitioning from DA to SA in the first two shots from a decocked state is a challenge, but overcoming it in my opinion will make you slightly more firm in your fundamentals of handgun marksmanship compared to starting with an SA or striker gun.

rojocorsa
09-11-12, 23:54
What kind of deal is a "good deal?"

I think if you are committed to learning to shoot a pistol well you are better off picking one of those two and buying it and spending the rest of of the money on 9mm. I don't think that having 2 different kinds of pistols available will make you a better pistol shooter, unless the 2 kinds are 9mm and .22LR.

They are both good guns with good reputations but nowadays the Glock seems to get the most attention of the two... of course as a dyed in the wool Glock shooter I am inclined to agree but I have no reason to think you will be supremely let down with the 92. That said, one big advantage the G19 has over the beretta 92 is it is FAR more concealable and lighter, to boot. I say you just buy one of those and use the rest of the cash for ammo or a Ruger MkII.

Supposedly, the deal that my friend would hook me up with would mean that this pistol would cost me less OTD than buying a GLOCK locally--this is the whole reason why I want to learn more about running a 92.

If it turns out that this deal isn't any better than a GLOCK 19 or 17---then I'm back to looking at those.

Snake Plissken, noted.

I'm not very picky and I have an open mind. (Except for the XD; I honestly don't like those). Beretta, GLOCK, SIG, 1911, etc---I want to be a good shooter with all of them.

You'll never hear me bitch about grip angles and shit. I honestly think those are cop-outs. Though for some reason, the DA/SA piece I shoot best are the SIG P22x's. It doesn't matter, if I end up with a Beretta I will practice with it and maintain it well.

At the moment, I have 0 pistols so I'm dying to learn one to start building up my skill. I hope Kyle Defoor comes around to my neck of the woods again for a pistol class. (He has in the past.)

Wiggity
09-13-12, 18:43
As far as the commercial 92FS and the commercial M-9---no real difference between them, correct? (Other than the sight dots).

There is a small difference in the grip and the frame. The M9 has a more robust backstrap. As far as the frame goes, just google it as it is hard to explain.

That said, I liked my M9 way better than my glock. But got rid of both in favor of HK's.

DeltaSierra
09-13-12, 19:11
I'm not very picky and I have an open mind. (Except for the XD; I honestly don't like those). Beretta, GLOCK, SIG, 1911, etc---I want to be a good shooter with all of them.

You'll never hear me bitch about grip angles and shit. I honestly think those are cop-outs. Though for some reason, the DA/SA piece I shoot best are the SIG P22x's. It doesn't matter, if I end up with a Beretta I will practice with it and maintain it well.

At the moment, I have 0 pistols so I'm dying to learn one to start building up my skill. I hope Kyle Defoor comes around to my neck of the woods again for a pistol class. (He has in the past.)

You know, I find it hard to maintain a decent level of proficiency with a handgun, even though I only own Glock 19s, only shoot Glock 19s, and only carry a Glock 19 every day.

If you want to be truly proficient with a handgun, pick one, and learn it. You can call the stuff like grip angles and things like that cops-outs if you like, but until you have some level of training and experience, I'd suggest that you don't have enough understanding of the situation to comment upon it.

jck397
09-13-12, 21:34

At the moment, I have 0 pistols so I'm dying to learn one to start building up my skill.

The best way to learn proficiency with a handgun is to shoot a handgun. A lot. After getting quality instruction from a good instructor (or several instructors). This skill set, to a certain degree, will transfer from platform to platform (good trigger control coupled with sight alignment = good hits), but DeltaSierra is right--it's a perishable skill set, and switching back and forth between different platforms will make it very difficult to master any one of them. I would suggest you figure out what your mission is for owning a handgun (carry, competition, plinking, home defense, whatever), pick the best weapon that meets your needs, and spend your money on two identical pistols, a pile of ammo, and some classes. That will serve you much better than chasing good deals on guns that may or may not suit your needs.

Wildcat
09-13-12, 23:16
I actually wasn't sure if it was safe or not to carry these weapons "off safety" in DA mode, but it sounds like it is according to your post. Would this still apply to an FS with a D spring?

The mainspring doesn't matter. The pistol uses an active firing pin block, which is designed to prevent the firing pin from advancing unless the trigger is held to the rear. The linkage coupled to the trigger raises the block and only permits clear passage for the firing pin when the trigger is being operated.

The only thing that I never really liked was the slide mounted safety, but if you're telling me I don't have to pay attention to it then getting one of these will suit me fine.

And which are the best mags for these?

Well, there is no reason to use the manual safety except when you want to lower the hammer safely.

However, you may need to pay attention to the safety, because it is very possible to inadvertently switch it to Safe while manipulating the slide since the pistol's design encourages grasping the breech end of the slide, where the safety is. A loose (or slippery) grip during the rearward pull can sometimes result in the safety rotating down.

Oh, and Mec Gar makes excellent magazines for the 92.

fsumach
09-13-12, 23:21
I love mine, it shoots like the Rolls Royce of 9mm. My biggest issue in using it for defense is the fact that the front site is part of the slide, and no easy and cheap option exists to go tritium. I believe the 90TWO fixes this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Striker
09-13-12, 23:32
I would suggest you figure out what your mission is for owning a handgun (carry, competition, plinking, home defense, whatever), pick the best weapon that meets your needs, and spend your money on two identical pistols, a pile of ammo, and some classes. That will serve you much better than chasing good deals on guns that may or may not suit your needs.

Right now his mission is to learn to shoot a handgun and basics are basics; good grip, align sights, proper trigger press, bang. At this point he really doesn't have anything to alternate to as he has neither the Beretta nor the Glock. If the Beretta is a good deal, why not?

And I know the one gun theory is the prevailing thought on this forum, but I'm not sure I agree with it. Plenty of people shoot multiple guns and shoot them well and I have a hard time understanding how running an AR, AK and a Benelli is whole lot different than running a Beretta, a Glock and and a Sig.

rojocorsa
09-14-12, 00:45
There is a small difference in the grip and the frame. The M9 has a more robust backstrap. As far as the frame goes, just google it as it is hard to explain

That said, I liked my M9 way better than my glock. But got rid of both in favor of HK's.

Oh, I know what you're talking about. I just assumed the backstrap and angled dustcover deals were trivial. Or am I wrong?

You know, I find it hard to maintain a decent level of proficiency with a handgun, even though I only own Glock 19s, only shoot Glock 19s, and only carry a Glock 19 every day.

If you want to be truly proficient with a handgun, pick one, and learn it. You can call the stuff like grip angles and things like that cops-outs if you like, but until you have some level of training and experience, I'd suggest that you don't have enough understanding of the situation to comment upon it.

You're right. I went back and thought about it.

I'm just so used to the 50yrd bench snipers at the range bitching about every little thing and making excuses for not shooting well. I assumed that the overwhelming majority of people who shoot handguns are kinda like that too; with the bulk of their shooting just being at a static range--you know what I mean. There are gun owners and there are shooters.

But you're right. Because I don't have any real pistol experience (other than shooting them casually, from Luger to Nighthawk Custom), I assumed that switching guns wouldn't be such a big deal, like switching among different rifles.

Magic_Salad0892
09-14-12, 01:40
Personally I'd forget the Beretta if you've already decided you're going to get a Glock in the future.

I'd intentionally look for a Beretta 92G Centurion. It's probably the best pistol they ever made. IMHO.

RyanB
09-14-12, 02:17
The Beretta is workable but not particularly excellent at anything. Just get a Glock.

Pistol Shooter
09-14-12, 16:44
The 92FS is a fine pistol by any measure, very accurate, good ergos, easy to shoot well and extremely reliable with all types of ammo.

I bought my first one in 1989 and have purchased a few since then. They run like Swiss watches. ;)

At $525.00 +/- I consider them a real value for the money.

It's a fine choice, grab it OP.

DeltaSierra
09-14-12, 16:52
The 92FS is a fine pistol by any measure, very accurate, good ergos, easy to shoot well and extremely reliable with all types of ammo.

I bought my first one in 1989 and have purchased a few since then. They run like Swiss watches. ;)

At $525.00 +/- I consider them a real value for the money.

It's a fine choice, grab it OP.

I think many people with much more experience than I would beg to differ...

The Glock is, without a doubt, the better choice, and can be had for less than $525, any day of the week.

fsumach
09-14-12, 16:55
I preder Glock for serious business as well, but i have never had a malfunction with my 92. And it is accurate as heck.

It did win the dod contract. It is not an unreliable weapon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rojocorsa
09-14-12, 16:59

The Glock is, without a doubt, the better choice, and can be had for less than $525, any day of the week.

Even in CA? I expect basic GLOCK prices to be north of $550 here before fees and taxes.

If it turns out that there is barely any disparity between this deal and a GLOCK street price locally, I'll go GLOCK. That's the plan.

RyanB
09-14-12, 18:19
They are reliable but not the most durable. Also, massive.

Redhat
09-14-12, 19:38
They are reliable but not the most durable. Also, massive.

From your perspective, what constitutes "durable"?

I-M4-REAL
09-14-12, 19:42
Beretta!
I would go shoot both the Glock and Beretta and decide for yourself which one you like the best as they both are two differant animals.
If it's an option in your area you can usally rent either model at most indoor ranges for $5 +ammo and get in some time with both to see which works for you and not the next guy.
I'd say shoot both for yourself before you buy and you be the judge. Both are great weapons!

rojocorsa
09-14-12, 23:25
Beretta!
I would go shoot both the Glock and Beretta and decide for yourself which one you like the best as they both are two differant animals.
If it's an option in your area you can usally rent either model at most indoor ranges for $5 +ammo and get in some time with both to see which works for you and not the next guy.
I'd say shoot both for yourself before you buy and you be the judge. Both are great weapons!

I've shot both; I made this thread to learn about the possible externalities of owning and operating a Beretta.

DeltaSierra
09-14-12, 23:32
Even in CA? I expect basic GLOCK prices to be north of $550 here before fees and taxes.

If it turns out that there is barely any disparity between this deal and a GLOCK street price locally, I'll go GLOCK. That's the plan.

Ouch!

You know, dealer cost on Glock 19s is right around $450, so you are really getting bled dry by your FFL if you are paying anywhere near $550...

RyanB
09-15-12, 01:13
From your perspective, what constitutes "durable"?

Service life of all major components of 100,000 plus rounds, minor components 25,000, recoil spring replacement at 3,000 or more and other springs no sooner than 10,000.

AKA Glock and HK.

gruntjim
09-15-12, 10:25
We in the Army didn't get the upgraded slide block assemblies until 2005. To complicate the picture further, both the old and the new share the same NSN.

If you don't anticipate needing to conceal the pistol, the Beretta 92A1 is an extremely valid choice. With that said, my EDC is a G19 of one flavor or another.

rojocorsa
09-15-12, 10:51
Ouch!

You know, dealer cost on Glock 19s is right around $450, so you are really getting bled dry by your FFL if you are paying anywhere near $550...

That's good to know. To be perfectly honest I didn't pay stringent attention to the specific prices, perhaps that $550 figure could have actually been the CA OTD price. I'll have to go back and check.

ShipWreck
09-15-12, 16:18
Since the 1990s, I've owned just about everything, handgun wise. I was in constant buying mode for years. Even owned a few Berettas over the years, but sold them to buy something else...

Had the 1911 bug many times too. In 2008 - I finally ordered a Custom Shop Springer, and then bought an Ed Brown Special Forces. Around that time, I got back into Beretta 92s as well. I soon found that itw as my fav platform.

Heresy, I know - but I prefer the feel of the gun (the 92) in my hand over even that of 1911s. I eventually sold those two high end 1911s last year, and have slowly increased my 92 collection... In a 1 handed grip - nothing feels better to me. Great gun...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/9-wheel-o-berettacopy.jpg

Pistol Shooter
09-15-12, 16:46

But the Glock ergonmics don't compare to a Beretta's.

BTW, in all honesty a Glock is a $350.00 stamped metal pistol. No way around it.

They work but they're just a cheap basic pistol.

Striker
09-15-12, 17:09

Define better for me. I'm not saying Glock is a bad pistol. In fact, I own a Glock 17 and I think it's a fine pistol. But when you say something is better, than you have to be able to define it in some way. I read a lot of the M&P is a better pistol than a Glock. Ergonomics are better etc. That's personal preference. Preference isn't better, it's simply preference.

The Beretta is workable but not particularly excellent at anything. Just get a Glock.

Well, for one thing, in general, a Beretta 92 is more accurate than a Glock. Beretta 92s, at least the ones I've shot, are on the HK/Sig accuracy level. Glocks aren't on that level.

I don't even own a Beretta, but I also don't believe that Glock or M&P is the answer to every defensive handgun question for everyone. People go along just fine shooting Sigs, Berettas, 1911s, HK, Walthers etc.

jw0312
09-15-12, 18:04
Either one is a fine choice for their own reasons. But if you plan to get a Glock eventually no matter what, then why not get the Glock now? Even if it takes a couple more days to save up the difference in price (assuming that the Beretta can be obtained cheaper than a Glock where you are), it seems like the obvious choice would be to get what you really want. The prices are close enough to each other. We're not talking about picking up a $500 Glock while you save up for a $3,000 Ed Brown.

jenrick
09-15-12, 19:34
I currently own pretty much every major manufactures "service pistol" at the moment, or have in the past. Currently if I've got the choice I'll take my USP in 9mm, but my 92FS get's carried as well. It is a heavier, larger gun then a Glock, but it also has a longer sight radius (unless we're talking a long slide Glock). A 92FS that has been well maintained feels like the slide is rolling on bearings, rather then sliding on rails, and shoots extremely well. For some folks the DA/SA transition is a no go, but I think any competent shooter should know how to run a DA/SA gun. The biggest thing to look for is good magazines, as without those it's simply a fancy paper weight. Overall they're great guns, and fun to shoot. What's not to like?

-Jenrick

DeltaSierra
09-16-12, 13:33
But the Glock ergonmics don't compare to a Beretta's.

BTW, in all honesty a Glock is a $350.00 stamped metal pistol. No way around it.

They work but they're just a cheap basic pistol.

That is simply your opinion, and is in no way, shape, or form factual.

And, Beretta ergonomics are better than a Glock? Maybe for you, but not for many, and certainly not for me.

Define better for me. I'm not saying Glock is a bad pistol. In fact, I own a Glock 17 and I think it's a fine pistol. But when you say something is better, than you have to be able to define it in some way. I read a lot of the M&P is a better pistol than a Glock. Ergonomics are better etc. That's personal preference. Preference isn't better, it's simply preference.

Oh, you read a lot about the M&P, did you? Great... Doesn't compare with actually having experience using the gun...

Well, for one thing, in general, a Beretta 92 is more accurate than a Glock. Beretta 92s, at least the ones I've shot, are on the HK/Sig accuracy level. Glocks aren't on that level.

Interesting... You know, some of the best shooters I've known and worked with, carried Glocks. I guess they didn't get the memo that Glocks aren't accurate enough....

Striker
09-16-12, 15:26
Oh, you read a lot about the M&P, did you? Great... Doesn't compare with actually having experience using the gun...

Not once did I say anything about running M&Ps. It wasn't relevant to my point. In fact I have run them in 9mm, .40 and .45. I could state my opinion, but it would it be just that, and again, not relevant to my point.

Interesting... You know, some of the best shooters I've known and worked with, carried Glocks. I guess they didn't get the memo that Glocks aren't accurate enough....

Again, you're reading into something that's not there. I never once said it wasn't "accurate enough". If I had said that I would have further defined it by saying not accurate enough for X. What I did say was as a whole, 9mm Glocks are not AS accurate as the Beretta 92, Sig P series and HK. Not even close to the same thing.

Magic_Salad0892
09-16-12, 17:12
Again, you're reading into something that's not there. I never once said it wasn't "accurate enough". If I had said that I would have further defined it by saying not accurate enough for X. What I did say was as a whole, 9mm Glocks are not AS accurate as the Beretta 92, Sig P series and HK. Not even close to the same thing.

This is not true. Mechanically they are. It's the Glock trigger, and possibly other factors (see: shooter) that makes them less accurate.

I saw somebody one with a Lone Wolf Glock (Frame, and slide assembly. I have no idea who produced the small parts, and trigger of that pistol.) using a standard barrel produce several 5 shot groups around 1.5''.

I spoke with him for several minutes about his pistol, and he stated that the STANDARD (G17 FWIW) barrel was plenty accurate. It just needed a better trigger, and grip angle to shoot better. I also think his trigger was about 3.5 lbs. It was a ZEV Fulcrum trigger I think. I only shot one group out of it. Which was around 2'', but the gun (barrel) can do better.

This was about a year ago.

It's also not the first time I've heard of a standard Glock barrel making a small group like that.

rojocorsa
09-16-12, 20:17
After thinking about it, chances are I will probably end up owning both pistols in my lifetime.

And yes, I'll be sure to invest in training/lessons. For sure!

I just created this test to make sure that the Beretta isn't a finicky POS, and also, I needed clarification regarding its safety/de-cocker.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/564365_2412910379711_1051825167_n.jpg

On the right is the first pistol I ever shot, actually. (I also really like the griptape mod, a lot).

I also agree in principle with whomever said that it is wise to be able to manage both DA/SA and SA, because one never knows.

I want to thank you guys for all your input so far.

Striker
09-17-12, 13:42
This is not true. Mechanically they are. It's the Glock trigger, and possibly other factors (see: shooter) that makes them less accurate.

I saw somebody one with a Lone Wolf Glock (Frame, and slide assembly. I have no idea who produced the small parts, and trigger of that pistol.) using a standard barrel produce several 5 shot groups around 1.5''.

I spoke with him for several minutes about his pistol, and he stated that the STANDARD (G17 FWIW) barrel was plenty accurate. It just needed a better trigger, and grip angle to shoot better. I also think his trigger was about 3.5 lbs. It was a ZEV Fulcrum trigger I think. I only shot one group out of it. Which was around 2'', but the gun (barrel) can do better.

This was about a year ago.

It's also not the first time I've heard of a standard Glock barrel making a small group like that.

I wasn't addressing individual pistols as I also have read about 9mm Glocks that shoot small groups at 25 yards; however, I'm saying that I don't believe the majority of box stock 9mm Glocks are capable of doing that. Brian Searcy's thread awhile back on the Tigerswan Glock 17 indicates something different than what the guy at your range said. The targets show a clear difference in the stock barrel versus the Wilson barrel.

jenrick
09-17-12, 22:11
To the OP's safety/decocker question: Get in the habit of bumping it with your thumb to verify it's in the fire position when you draw or perform a slide manipulation. If you have anything other then tiny hands for a guy (I have small man hands, not gonna lie) you can reach it without messing up your grip.

Other then that don't worry about it. The only time I put the safety on is when I'm teaching someone to shoot as I like to have a bit more positive control of them firing if possible.

-Jenrick

brickboy240
09-18-12, 11:14
I have owned both the 92 and 96F.

Really...this platform is a mixed bag.

On its plus side, it is a very soft recoiling pistol. Even the 96F was a very soft kicking 40. Only the full size HK USP-40 was a softer 40, if you ask me.

Second, they are usually pretty accurate and their long sight radius makes for a great range/target gun.

Third, they are usually very well made guns with few problems. Lube them right and use good ammo and stock mags and you will have very few problems with the 92/96 Berettas.

On their bad side...they are huge and heavy pistols when compared to other "service" 9mms like the Glock 19/17, Walther PPQ, M&P or XD. Thick and they have a grip that is better suited to larger hands. Think HK thick and chunky. Not the best CCW pistol! LOL

Their triggers also tend to be long and stagey and the safety located way up on the slide is not the easiest to engage without really shifting one's hand.

But in the end, it is not a bad pistol if you can handle it's idiosyncrasies and large grip. if you have medium to smaller hands...this platform will give you fits.

I like it as a range or home defense pistol but do not want to carry it or use it as a "go to" pistol because of its size, safety and trigger. For that role I like a striker fired pistol. I prefer no safety or decocker and the short trigger of the Glock but that is a personal thing.

If you like it...go for it....they're not bad pistols.

-brickboy240

09-19-12, 12:19
Most of what I could say about the Beretta 92 vs Glock has already been said. I have owned several Glocks, tried to like them, but they just don't work for me. Using a USPSA target as a measure, a close A zone hit with my 92G is a C with a Glock. A C zone is a D with the Glock and a D is a miss. That's just me I know but the gun fits my largish hand and functions flawlessly with appropriate care.

rojocorsa
09-19-12, 19:53
I went by the local gun pusher today.

GLOCKs were between $550-$575 before fees and taxes, and the one 92FS I saw was $705. Ouch!

I'll try to see if I can do this deal...

Nephrology
09-20-12, 07:19
I went by the local gun pusher today.

GLOCKs were between $550-$575 before fees and taxes, and the one 92FS I saw was $705. Ouch!

I'll try to see if I can do this deal...

Try another store. Some places will try to fleece you. Don't expect that to be the norm.

piesandcheese
09-20-12, 11:40
I've put almost 10k through my Beretta Vertec with only 1 stovepipe. I don't think it was the guns fault either. I was running some lightly charged practice handloads.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xWPZkM6hRlo/UAT2i-7uZuI/AAAAAAAAAnk/xE89y_s5lkM/s720/vertec-web.jpg

She's so pretty. Glock's are great guns, but in my opinion, they can't touch the sleek style of a custom Beretta.

rojocorsa
09-20-12, 12:56
Try another store. Some places will try to fleece you. Don't expect that to be the norm.

Yeah, true that.

It sucks because one wants to support a local business. I suppose even for CA those are high prices; they wanted 175 for a stripped M&P 15 lower too, for example!

Gary1911A1
09-21-12, 10:12
On a side note I just got an Email from Beretta this AM that they have some more .22 Conversion Units in stock.

556A2
09-23-12, 10:07
The 92 is a gigantic pistol compared to other service 9mms.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Avtomat/g1792fs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Avtomat/IMG_0002Small.jpg

piesandcheese
09-23-12, 12:59
The 92 is a gigantic pistol compared to other service 9mms.

really? It looks pretty comparable to the full size Glocks you stacked it next to. I'm not going to say the 92 is a small pistol by any means, but it was never meant to be concealed or discreet. It was meant for military and law enforcement to carry on the hip, or a drop-thigh holster. If we're talking service pistols here, the size is kind of irrelevant as long as it still fits your hand.

556A2
09-23-12, 14:22
really? It looks pretty comparable to the full size Glocks you stacked it next to.

Sarcasm ;)

piesandcheese
09-23-12, 15:08
lol, I missed that :p