PDA

View Full Version : Different FDE sprays

Koshinn
09-10-12, 18:11
So I bought Aervoe Coyote and Light Coyote, but I had forgotten that I bought Krylon Khaki (4291) before I deployed. In any case, since I have 4 GI mags, I figured I'd spray one each color to compare them to Magpul FDE.

I know I'm missing Duracoat's FDE, Cerakote's FDE, and Brownells Alumahyde II Coyote, but these are far cheaper and have a cure time measured in minutes rather than days.

Anyway, here you go, make if it what you will:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4407370/AR/fde.jpg

Aervoe Light Coyote has way too much red in it. Aervoe Coyote is slightly too dark and Krylon Khaki is noticeably lighter. If you do a coat or two of Aervoe Coyote then very lightly spray Krylon Khaki over it, it comes out extremely close to Magpul FDE.

dlbrown75
12-02-12, 06:32
The bottom one looks closest to me.

The_War_Wagon
12-02-12, 06:34
Krylon khaki is GOOD, and sticks well even to polymers, BUT... the color was more off than I thought it would be. :o

The Aervoe Coyote looks good to me!

10MMGary
12-02-12, 12:02
Great comparison testing, any info on which hold up best? To my sorry old a$$ eyes Aervoe Coyote looks like the best match to Magpul.

Zane1844
12-02-12, 12:06
My gun is Krylon Khaki it looks great! Blends better in the desert surroundings where I shoot at. May splash some OD green on it. Or may just buy some better paint, like Duracoat and do it that way.

All I know is that now, all my rifles will be tan or FDE.

yossarian42
12-02-12, 13:41
Brownells alumahyde in coyote is a very close match. I don't have comparison pics so I'm not sure if its any closer than the mag on the bottom of your pic.

The alumahyde takes about 48 hours for the tacky feeling to go away. So for that reason I just use the krylon. I'm not too worried about the match.

Koshinn
12-02-12, 16:26
Great comparison testing, any info on which hold up best? To my sorry old a$$ eyes Aervoe Coyote looks like the best match to Magpul.

Aervoe holds up a lot better than Krylon from what I've seen. But they aren't ceramic based sprays, so they won't hold up to heavy abuse. But you can always just respray it.

Diver160651A
12-02-12, 19:28
Duracoat Magpul FDE on the left. It is a close match, but a hair bit brighter. You can see it in this photo just a bit more than in when looking directly at it.

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CaptainDooley
12-03-12, 11:36
I was looking into this at one time, before I realized I didn't care because multiple shades of brown just help it blend that much more anyway... and I think the closest match I saw in pictures on the interwebs was Aervoe Field Drab (30118). I think that came from Lightfighter in Roger's post on painting rifles. Anyway, I ended up not buying it because I already had Krylon Khaki and Aervoe Coyote on hand, so I cannot confirm from my own testing.

The other Aervoe color that I thought may match well would be Sand (30277), but again - never bought any.