PDA

View Full Version : The Long Road Back....

MassMark
02-02-08, 22:23
First, I wanted to thank you all for a great website - I've spent the better part of my day browsing through the forums and doing some searches. My name is Mark and I live in the occupied territory of Massachusetts. I have to say, that browsing around this site has been just awesome - I seemed to just get lost in the mire on "another site" - this has been great so far.

I am posting on this site, because after several years of an AR-15 free existence, I am getting back into the game by building up my own. The absence of my AR-15 was self-imposed sacrifice at a time when answering one dream, meant giving something up. Though I can't say I truly regretted it, I have missed my Colt AR-15 National Match terribly. It was a no-frills, nothing added, no fancy-schmancy doo-dads rifle. I poured ammunition through this gun and it was just a reliable, accurate and beautifully built rifle.

Recently, an opportunity came up to do a group buy on custom logo and serial numbered receivers on another board I belong to. With a wife in nursing school and finances tight until she graduates, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to get parts as the money allows. I also decided not to replicate my fond memories of a 20" match rifle and decided to build as close to an M4 as I can get in Massachusetts. For some reason, a handy AR-15 carbine just feels right.

Anyway, thanks again - I look forward to reading more and learning along the way as I build up my rifle. Take care.

Thermodyn
02-03-08, 01:51
MassMark,

Good to have you here. I, like you, have found this forum very informative and full of knowledgeable and respectful folks.

So which make is the lower you are considering? What other parts are you considering for your build?

Again, welcome.

R1pper
02-03-08, 04:57
Mark ,
Welcom aboard! Where in the PRM are you located? I think I have seen some of your posts over at NES.

-DM-

MassMark
02-03-08, 08:28
Thanks Guys - I'm in "The Sticks" - Berkshire County, up in the mountains. I post as "MassMark" everywhere Dick and you seem familiar as well. I'm over at NortheastShooters and also post over at M-14Forum, (My M1A -another obsession) ;)

Thermodyn - I'm starting out with an Anvil Arms lower and Anvil LPK. Troy Industries is literally down the street from me, so I'll be adding a Troy BUIS on the rear and a Troy Medieval Brake up front, (No FS in MA). I have a Trijicon Tripower already mounted in a LaRue QD-150 on my M1A/Troy MCS and will be swapping it out to the AR build. I'm putting a Millet DMS in a LaRue Mount on the SOCOM down the road. Slings and stocks are still a project, but I'm thinking Troy single-point. I'm keeping the front end smooth - my SOCOM-16/Troy MCS has my rail needs covered quite nicely. I just want this to be a handy little carbine. Everything else is still up in the air, but I've been corresponding with Jon Kruger over at Anvil and like what he is offering for an upper. I am also wide open to suggestions.

Thanks again for the welcome guys - I'm so jazzed about this build, I can hardly wait to get started. I've like the Anvil lowers I've seen so far and can't wait to have a complete rifle!

Thermodyn
02-04-08, 16:06
MassMark,

Looks like you are off to a great start. While I am not familiar with Anvil Arms, my only suggestion is to have them assure you of the quality of their LPK. If you have any doubts at all, I would recommend the LMT kits that Grant at G&R Tactical is putting together. That is what I am using for all my future builds.

As for stocks, I HIGHLY recommend the Magpul products, especially the CTR for it's SOLID lockup. Since you are building this, just make sure to go with the Mil-Spec receiver extension. Magpul is releasing some very exciting new product for 2008. I am going to get their new ACS stock for my LMT. Also, if money is tight, their new MOE line of accessories looks to be a great value.

Yes, I drink the Magpul Kool-Aid! :D

R1pper
02-04-08, 19:08
Thanks Guys - I'm in "The Sticks" - Berkshire County, up in the mountains. I post as "MassMark" everywhere Dick and you seem familiar as well. I'm over at NortheastShooters and also post over at M-14Forum, (My M1A -another obsession) ;)

Im in the Springfield area (Agawam). When you go to pop the cherry on your rifle let me know Ill give ya a hand!

MassMark
02-04-08, 20:30
Im in the Springfield area (Agawam). When you go to pop the cherry on your rifle let me know Ill give ya a hand!

Sounds great - will absolutely do. We ordered 200 receivers with an NES Logo engraved on them and special serial numbers. I could have dome without the special serial number idea, as it puts delivery 3.5 months out, but at least I'll have more time to assemble parts.

Thermodyn - thanks it's coming together nicely. Thanks as well for the Magpul suggestions. Sadly, I cannot have a collapsable stock here in the PRM, (Beacon Hill still recognizes the AWB), so I'm unwilling to pin a nice Magpul - will be buying a heavy buffered M4 stock off Anvil and pinning it in a position that's comfortable for me, (I could use suggestions on how). I had not heard of Anvil Arms until a few months ago when reading a thread on his receivers over on THR. I started to read really good things about him and another member over on NES bought one of his receivers and I was sold - it's a work of art. I am not sue who supplies Anvil's LPK's but Jon assures me they are the real deal....

Thermodyn
02-04-08, 22:15
I checked out Anvil's site. As far as the LPK is concerned, if that kit is GTG, then it is an awesome value for $55.

Bummer on the stock issue. I can't help you with the pinning as I have no experience with that. You might also check out the Sully stocks. They're solid and well made. Although, unless you're a small person or using armor, they could be a bit on the short side. Also, Cav Arms makes an A1 length stock but I have heard mixed reviews on it's quality. My best suggestion would be Vltor's Rifle Mod-Stock. It is available in A1 length and offers modern features such as cheek weld adapters, accessory storage compartments and multiple sling mount options. If you're not set on the authentic "M4" look, I think it offers a no compromise solution. Anyway, just some additional options for you. Hope it helps.

http://www.vltor.com/rifle-modstock.htm

MassMark
02-04-08, 22:53
I checked out Anvil's site. As far as the LPK is concerned, if that kit is GTG, then it is an awesome value for $55.

Bummer on the stock issue. I can't help you with the pinning as I have no experience with that. You might also check out the Sully stocks. They're solid and well made. Although, unless you're a small person or using armor, they could be a bit on the short side. Also, Cav Arms makes an A1 length stock but I have heard mixed reviews on it's quality. My best suggestion would be Vltor's Rifle Mod-Stock. It is available in A1 length and offers modern features such as cheek weld adapters, accessory storage compartments and multiple sling mount options. If you're not set on the authentic "M4" look, I think it offers a no compromise solution. Anyway, just some additional options for you. Hope it helps.

http://www.vltor.com/rifle-modstock.htm

Yeah - this is Massachusetts - the state where revolution from tyranny was born and now has become a nanny state....sad. I'm locked in here for the time being, but am hoping for a "good fight" from the gun owning subjects here. At the same time, I am looking toward Northern Free Territories just in case... ;)

I am planning on an A2 VLTOR Clubfoot for my SOCOM-16, (it's in a Troy MCS which I adore) - I do like that VLTOR stock though. Something does not feel right about it on a short handy little carbine. They have a carbine length modstock as well, but I'm worried about buying it and not liking the LOP. I'm fairly big - 6'4" 250. I guess at least with the M4, I can adjust it where it's just right and pin it to satisfy the powers that rule the land until things change one way or the other.

I'm new to the AR-build game. In the olden days, I saw a Colt, I liked a Colt, I bought a Colt - simple. Man, have times changed! There is SO much out there that it can make your head spin - everyone seems to have a favorite something. It's good in a way, as it leads to a multitude of options.

I'm really comfortable with this first foray into the whacky world of AR building. Jon Kruger has gone out of his way to answer my E-mails and has offered suggestions and guidance that have been just stellar. I guess the ultimate proof will be in the final product - truly a one off AR-15, but the function will be the key. It has a lot to measure up to - my Colt was like a fine watch. I used to either read about or run into folks with all kinds of AR issues and could never figure it out. I had a very high round count through mine - even several 1 and 2k range sessions and I don't remember any substantial malfunctions except one with some early lacquered Wolf which was a nightmare, (required a gunsmith). Other than that, she ran and ran and ran....

In the meantime, I really appreciate any suggestions - I'm cutting and pasting all I can. I can't wait to squeeze the trigger for the first time and recapture a little of what was lost....Thanks again all.

Jon-Anvil_Arms
02-07-08, 08:23
Hi Guys,

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to say thank you for mentioning us on your website and thank you for the great compliments! We work really hard to provide a superior level of product and service to earn compliments like that it makes me feel good to see that our clients notice!

Also, not to turn this into a commercial or anything, but in answer to the question about our LPK's; We go to a lot of trouble to insure they (and all of our parts!) are in fact "the real deal". On other boards many people have posted comments like "Best LPK I have had" and so forth. Our standard offer is this; Once you get it, if you do not like it, simply return it for a no hassle full and complete and refund. So far, not a single one has ever come back to us. :)

Thanks again!

Jon Kruger
President, Anvil Arms LLC

MassMark
02-07-08, 08:51
Jon- it's nice to see you posting on here. It's a nice board with good folks and great information. It's also nice to have you in my corner during this process - it's a big deal for me and your advice has been much appreciated. So it looks like this is how my build is shaping up:

- Anvil Arms Lower
- Anvil Arms LPK
- Anvil Arms M4 Upper (standard ramp front end)
- Standard M4 handguards (like the classic lines)
- Ergo Grip
- M4 Collapsable Buttstock, (sadly pinned for Massachusetts enjoyment)
- Troy Medieval Brake
- Troy Rear BUIS
- Troy Single Point and spacer, (though I'm still pondering this)
- Trijicon Tripower
- LaRue QD LT-150
- Grin As Empties Eject... ;)

I think that should cover it, but am always open to suggestions...Thanks again everyone, this site has been an eye-opener and am glad to be a member.

Jon-Anvil_Arms
02-07-08, 09:02
"(sadly pinned for Massachusetts enjoyment)"

At least you seem to have a good sense of humor about it!

Again, thanks for the mention on the board and thanks for the business! I'm sure your going to be more than happy with the weapon once you get it all together and running!

Jon K.