PDA

View Full Version : Troy Extreme HG (inconsistent groups)

strow
09-11-12, 16:25
Has anyone had any experience or heard of others having trouble with the Troy Extreme HG with the two set screws on the bottom not holding zero or shooting inconsistent groups?

I have a 16” Noveske upper with the Troy Extreme HG and I am having issues with it shifting zero and groups being inconsistent. I will get it dialed in, everything seems ok then the next outing the zero has shifted or it won't group sub moa.

Just trying to narrow down the variables as to why this upper isn’t as consistent as I would like.

Thanks!

420ollie
09-11-12, 16:31
Are you using BUIS or a redot or scope?

strow
09-11-12, 19:39
NF 5.5-22x R2 reticle in Bobro mount.

It could be the scope or shooter...but I doubt it.

It could possibly the flimsy Troy bipod mount, but I keep thinking it may be the HG and barrel nut interface.

Opinions?

420ollie
09-11-12, 20:05
Who built it? Do you know how tight the barrel nut was torqued?

Did you check how tight the mount and scope are I would also check the barrel crown just to be sure. There are many variables. Just trying to run down the list.

strow
09-11-12, 20:25
Complete upper bought directly from Noveske.

I have not checked the torque on the barrel nut.

The Borbro mount seems tight and interfaces without any play. It goes sub moa when I switch it back to an Accuracy Speaks upper I had built.

I did check barrel crown and found no visible burns or concentricity issues that I could see. I did not run a dial indicator on it though.

I know Troy discontinued this HG and had heard MSTN has issues with them as well.

420ollie
09-11-12, 20:37
Complete upper bought directly from Noveske.

I have not checked the torque on the barrel nut.

The Borbro mount seems tight and interfaces without any play. It goes sub moa when I switch it back to an Accuracy Speaks upper I had built.

I did check barrel crown and found no visible burns or concentricity issues that I could see. I did not run a dial indicator on it though.

I know Troy discontinued this HG and had heard MSTN has issues with them as well.

You mounted the scope on the flat top right. The handguard being loose on the barrel nut shouldn't affect this. Are you running a mount or backing plate where the gas block it. I had one mounted in that area and noticed it would hit it. It left a mark on the backing plate.

I use to have one of these handguards and I never had this problem. My groups were about an inch when I took my time.

If you want you can change out the hanguard to the new alpha model. That is what I did when I couldn't get the same one but in a longer length. I had them upgrade me and all I had to do was pay the difference. They paid for shipping bothways and I got a free barrel nut too.

strow
09-11-12, 20:42
Scope is mounted on the flattop.

I will give Troy a call and see about an upgrade. That is good info, THANKS!!!

420ollie
09-11-12, 20:50
Talk to Allyson or Jeff and tell them I sent ya. Glad to help and hope everything goes well.