PDA

View Full Version : 6920 Wedge?

Donka
02-03-08, 04:28
Hi guys,

I just disassembled my 6920 for the first time and cleaned it. Upon reassembly, I found the upper and lower receivers fit more "loose" than before I took it apart and cleaned it. Is this normal?

The rear takedown pin was pretty tight before taking the rifle apart and now it is easier to push out. I just want to make sure this is normal as I have absolutely no AR15 experiance.

Thanks for the help.

TOrrock
02-03-08, 07:43
It's fine, perfectly normal.

Do NOT put one of those red rubber "accurizer" rubber wedges in the receiver to make it tighter.

This is a social rifle, not a Camp Perry rifle.

Donka
02-03-08, 08:05
Roger that!

I am so unfamiliar with the AR that I seem to be noticing each little detail one by one.

I have disassembled and reassembled the rifle about 15 times tonight/ this morning, and notice new cosmetic details each time.

Thanks for letting me know it's normal Templar.

TOrrock
02-03-08, 09:13
No worries, you got a great carbine, definitely started off right. :cool:

goretro77
12-17-09, 16:17
It's fine, perfectly normal.

Do NOT put one of those red rubber "accurizer" rubber wedges in the receiver to make it tighter.

This is a social rifle, not a Camp Perry rifle.

So whats wrong about adding an 'accurizer' rubber wedge in the receiver? It does take that notchy loose feeling out between the upper and lower?

Not sure what you mean by social rifle, not a Camp Perry rifle?

DacoRoman
12-17-09, 16:39
I had one of those "accuwedges" in an old pre ban Colt HBAR A2 Slabside and over many thousands of rounds it never did anything bad, but never really anything good either except for making the rifle feel tight and solid. I actually enjoyed the feel of the rifle with it in there. I haven't used them in any other rifle and got rid of it when I sold that rifle. But I can't really see any real harm with it, but then again I'm no expert. Has anyone seen these dislodge or breakdown to cause any stoppages?

JackOSU
12-17-09, 16:50

I think he means that for the intended usage there shouldn't be a problem without it. Kind of like why fix something that isn't broken??

MIKE G
12-17-09, 17:02

goretro77
12-17-09, 17:48
I cannot say I see an accuracy improvement but I will say that I immediately noticed that the uppers and lower does not have that 'play'. I was fortunate that my examples of both a Colt Sporter Match HBAR (model 6601), the Colt LE6920 and Ruger SR556 I had minimal play in these 3 firearms and this device still took that small play out of each and tightened the feel.

I do not see this piece moving out of position unless it was installed wrong. I've had mine for many years now and shot many rounds but I do keep tabs on it and inspect it whenever I open the rifle up for maintenance. YMMV

halo2304
12-17-09, 18:08
I think one concern would be wearing out the rear pin holes in the lower and the upper's lug. With the wedge, there's a force pushing up on the upper when you slide the pin in and out. Over time, this point will oval and could develope issues with the BCG sliding into the buffer tube.

MIKE G
12-17-09, 18:09

RogerinTPA
12-17-09, 18:15
My take on them is that adding any sort of "unsecured" material to an area with moving parts is asking for it to degrade due to time/heat/exposure to cleaners or lube and dislodging. Murphy knows no limits. I used to keep one in my first AR, now it is in some landfill somewhere.

Well said.

DWood
12-17-09, 19:04
You guys can argue about anything..............

bkb0000
12-17-09, 19:18
there have been numerous accounts of them coming loose inside the receiver and getting chewed up in the FCG, rendering the weapon inoperable.. there's users here that have seen it happen first hand.

accuwedge consumer = someone who doesn't spend enough time with his weapon

goretro77
12-17-09, 20:16
there have been numerous accounts of them coming loose inside the receiver and getting chewed up in the FCG, rendering the weapon inoperable.. there's users here that have seen it happen first hand.

accuwedge consumer = someone who doesn't spend enough time with his weapon

How can one be sure they were not installed correctly in the first place?

Yes, since I am a accuwedge consumer I do not spend enough time with my firearm. :p

theJanitor
12-17-09, 20:28
THE point is, Does it make the weapon perform any better in critical, measurable ways? increase accuracy? increase the reliability? reduce time between stoppages? etc?

if it does not, then using one in only increasing the probability (no matter how big or little) of something going wrong, and Murphy turning your carbine into an expensive club. and maybe when you need it most.

BTW, does murphy ever come around when you are dealing with matters of little importance? didn't think so

seb5
12-17-09, 20:57
How can one be sure they were not installed correctly in the first place?

Yes, since I am a accuwedge consumer I do not spend enough time with my firearm. :p

They have a history of either coming out of place and/or disintegrating over time. This is well documented over many years. Don't take this personal.

Iraqgunz
12-17-09, 21:53
Or better yet just buy a shit ton of them and put them in all of you AR's. They serve no practical purpose but if you sleep better at night good for you.

It's been discussed oft enough here.

Mate
12-17-09, 23:53
The majority of people cant shoot to the carbines capabilities anyways, it's not like this little 3.00 part is really going to help.

Iraqgunz
12-17-09, 23:58
I think it has already been shown that they don't help. And you are correct.

The majority of people cant shoot to the carbines capabilities anyways, it's not like this little 3.00 part is really going to help.

SWATcop556
12-18-09, 01:20
Some people only care about the "fit" and "feel" and "tightness" of their rifle.

I care about those three things..........but it has nothing to do with a rifle. ;)

Use them if you want to but I get tired of having to put bits and pieces out of a lower when someone brings me a rifle and says "it no work no mo."

goretro77
12-18-09, 09:47
They have a history of either coming out of place and/or disintegrating over time. This is well documented over many years. Don't take this personal.

None taken, thanks for the tip and Merry Christmas.

C4IGrant
12-18-09, 11:59
Hi guys,

I just disassembled my 6920 for the first time and cleaned it. Upon reassembly, I found the upper and lower receivers fit more "loose" than before I took it apart and cleaned it. Is this normal?

The rear takedown pin was pretty tight before taking the rifle apart and now it is easier to push out. I just want to make sure this is normal as I have absolutely no AR15 experiance.

Thanks for the help.

This is how God intended.

C4

C4IGrant
12-18-09, 12:01
So whats wrong about adding an 'accurizer' rubber wedge in the receiver? It does take that notchy loose feeling out between the upper and lower?

They serve NO PURPOSE in a fighting weapon.

The main reason for this is because they can come apart and become lodged in the FCG.

This is a NO GO.

C4

glocktogo
12-18-09, 15:33
They serve NO PURPOSE in a fighting weapon.

The main reason for this is because they can come apart and become lodged in the FCG.

This is a NO GO.

C4

Ok, I can buy this reasoning. My Noveske upper fits tight on my RR Colt lower, but my 6933 rattles like tin cans in a bag on it. For those of us who are obsessive compulsive and anal about immaterial matters such as this, is there a viable solution?

bkb0000
12-18-09, 15:50
Ok, I can buy this reasoning. My Noveske upper fits tight on my RR Colt lower, but my 6933 rattles like tin cans in a bag on it. For those of us who are obsessive compulsive and anal about immaterial matters such as this, is there a viable solution?

if you just really, really have to have snugness, an o-ring around the takedown lug will accomplish it. but somebody had a counter for that, as well... cant remember what it was, but apparently that caused a problem for someone once too.

spamsammich
12-18-09, 15:54
With the gun slung up right, tucked up in a good carbine shooting stance, you won't notice any rattle. If you do, you're not concentrating on the right things: you're doing it wrong. Shoot the gun more, fingerbang it less.

Abraxas
12-18-09, 16:17
With the gun slung up right, tucked up in a good carbine shooting stance, you won't notice any rattle. If you do, you're not concentrating on the right things: you're doing it wrong. Shoot the gun more, fingerbang it less.

Well said:D My first AR came with the little wedge things, they did come out and cause me some hassle. I trashed what was left of them and never had another problem.

C4IGrant
12-18-09, 16:23

My first suggestion would be to get over your issues and understand that it is a combat gun and not a bolt gun.

If that does not work, send the upper to an FFL dealer for them to match fit your upper to a new lower.

C4

Abraxas
12-18-09, 16:26
My first suggestion would be to get over your issues and understand that it is a combat gun and not a bolt gun.

If that does not work, send the upper to an FFL dealer for them to match fit your upper to a new lower.

C4

Better yet he should just send the whole weapon to me. I dont mind some rattle:D

glocktogo
12-18-09, 17:02
While I appreciate the replies, I fully understand that it's a form not function issue. I have no issue with those that appreciate function to the exclusion of all else. I just think it would be a nice touch that a $15K setup have a little of both.

As I don't have a spare 5 figures laying around to try another Registered Colt reciever, I'll suffer the rattle. This isn't a safe queen that I "fingerbang", but a rig I compete with and train with. It isn't likely that I'll need it to save my life or the lives of others, but it's the reason I shoot.

In a previous life we considered rattles to be bad juju. They were routinely corrected with riggers tape. Sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities with my dislike of them. :rolleyes:

SWATcop556
12-18-09, 21:18
Sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities with my dislike of them. :rolleyes:

I think all of our sensibilites are intact. :cool: